PDA

View Full Version : Glock sights "work"

YVK
06-07-2011, 05:09 PM
I am changing barrels on my Glock 19 and I need to do the following work: a) push the rear Heinie to the right a bit b) replace 0.235 front 10-8 sight with 0.215 Heinie. I'd like to do this myself. What do I need for this? Tools, tips, recipes? Thanks.

JHC
06-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Vice for drifting the rear sight. Padded vice would be nice. I just tape some cardboard or anything similiar into the vice jaws and wind that slide in there tight. OTOH, when I'm zero'ing for windage I'll just lay the gun on the bench and tap it with a punch to get center zeroed.

Vice, punch and a hammer. Poly punch if you can. Often my rear sights turn out so tight, and me being so impatient, I beat that bit$% with a steel punch. Gets it done. Then again, I rarely have rear tritium vials and shock to the rears is a risk factor when you have tritium rears. I've still done it. And never busted one. But it's not a good idea some of the things I do.

You just need those hex wrenches to put on the front sight. Do you have one?

Al T.
06-07-2011, 05:26 PM
It's expensive, but the MGW sight tool for the Glock rear sights works for me. Midway carries them for about $100.00 each.

WDW
06-07-2011, 07:38 PM
For the front sight
A 3/16" hex socket, it needs to be thin walled so it will fit in the slide, and a drop of loctite on the threads.
For the Rear Sight
A padded vice, a brass punch, and a small hammer. I would cover the tip of the punch with a small piece of electrical tape so if you slip you won't ding your slide. Pre-measure on the rear dovetail exactly where you want the sight and mark it with a fine point silver sharpie for reference. Be patient and all will be well.

YVK
06-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks, gents.

I can't get that hex head with my 3/16 wrench which may mean that hex head is larger (unlikely) or my wrench is too thick walled . Anybody knows sources for thin-walled ones?

Is MGW tool Glock-specific, or it can be used for other pistols? Is there a "universal" sight pusher?

JHC
06-08-2011, 08:12 AM
http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmeister-Front-Sight-Tool/productinfo/GMFST/

That's for a hex front sight tool. Many of my sight sets came with these little minimalist ones but I got one of the full handled gunsmith ones from Ameriglo a few years ago and it's well worth it. I'd have linked you to it but I didn't find it on Ameriglo's website just now.

They do however sell all those sight pushers. I've heard of some universal ones and seen folks recommend some that Brownells carries but some of those are up there in the hundreds of dollars, so I don't have much interest in them. Tapping them in with the vice, punch and hammer is just too easy.

YVK
06-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Cool, thanks!

Spr1
06-08-2011, 10:49 AM
You can make a tool for the front sight with a 1/4" socket head cap screw. Grind the head into a cone shape thinning the head at the drive end so that it will fit onto the sights hex head, screw two nuts onto the bolt and jam them against each other. Then use a hex driver that fits the nuts to loosen the sight.
I had to improvise a stronger tool to get out a sight once, and this worked..... crude but effective.