PDA

View Full Version : Triple Lock?

Seven_Sicks_Two
12-28-2013, 11:03 PM
I hate those "what to buy threads" as much as the next guy. So, it is with some degree of trepidation that I'm posting this. Here goes:

I've got the chance to buy a Smith & Wesson 4" .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model in 44 Special. Yep, a Triple Lock. It has a fair amount of holster wear and some light pitting on the frame near the top strap. Also, someone decided to checker the trigger at some point. But, the gun locks up nicely, the bore is shiny and I can't detect any mechanical problems. As near as I can tell, the grips are original and it has never been refinished.

A few questions:

- If I buy this thing, can actually shoot it without risking destroying a neat piece of history?

- Will having it cleaned up and tuned by a reputable revolver smith (Turnbull, Bowen, Cunningham, Etc.) negatively affect it's value since it has already been slightly bubba'd?

- Would you S&W fans out there pick it up if the price was right?

At this point, I'm basically looking to get talked into (or out of) it.

Tamara
12-29-2013, 06:46 AM
I'd love to find a "shooter grade" Triple Lock.

Given the situation as described, I'd probably have it looked over mechanically and shoot it.

A very few 'smiths, like maybe only Bowen and Turnbull, have a rep sufficient that a refinish from them will not adversely affect a mid-grade gun's price.

(Mind you this about the exact same situation I'm in with my Wolf & Klar Third Model .44 HE, with it being renickeled.)

Wayne Dobbs
12-29-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm a Smith and Wesson "accumulator" and would jump all over a shooter grade Triple Lock. Turnbull would be a good choice and there is a guy north of Dallas near me that used to do astounding restorations of Smiths, but has now stopped that work.

Buy it and shoot it with low pressure lead loads and have fun!

jlw
12-29-2013, 12:56 PM
If the price is right buy it and shoot it with pride. The bubba trigger pretty much robs if of safe queen value.

---

I have/had a few vintage S&W revolvers that I wouldn't carry/shoot as I wanted to keep them in pristine condition. They are nice to have, but shooters are more fun, in my opinion.

zeleny
01-05-2014, 05:50 PM
I recommend holding out for an original, unmolested, mechanically sound gun in 95% condition. The cost of ownership will be far below anything customized by Bowen or restored by Turnbull. Here (https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107899053055981883378/albums/5890272040174163025) is my Triple Lock Target. It's a fine shooter, good for anything short of "Elmer Keith" loads.

Tamara
01-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Bowen will also do a mechanical and cosmetic rejuvenation without any " customizing", or at least he told me that last I was in his shop. Neat place; you'd like it.

Seven_Sicks_Two
01-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Well I've thought long and hard about this one and...

I've decided to pick it up. At $625, I couldn't say no. I think I'll just keep the gun as-is for the time being (with the exception of some Herrett Ropers) and shoot it some. It'll probably be a little while before I can get it paid off and home with me... but I'll add some pictures to this thread when it is finally mine.

Clyde from Carolina
01-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Well I've thought long and hard about this one and...

I've decided to pick it up. At $625, I couldn't say no. I think I'll just keep the gun as-is for the time being (with the exception of some Herrett Ropers) and shoot it some. It'll probably be a little while before I can get it paid off and home with me... but I'll add some pictures to this thread when it is finally mine.

At $625 I think you did great, just great. I want to see the pics. I think as others have already said, with moderate loads that should be a very nice shooter! As you know, a Triple Lock is an icon among icons and we are all looking for the good "shooters" that aren't too nice to breathe on.

Heck yeah, keep it as-is until you decide which way to go with it. If any work is needed I would pay somebody like Bowen who knows what they're about a fair price to do it up right. The gun deserves it.

You lucky dog. ;)

Tamara
01-05-2014, 10:23 PM
At $625, I couldn't say no.

Not if you didn't want to be sent to the shun bench, no.

Clyde from Carolina
01-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Not if you didn't want to be sent to the shun bench, no.

;)

Gotta say too, the Herrett Ropers sound like a good class-act addition. The original Roper grips can get to be an obsession as well, from what I hear. :rolleyes:

Jim Watson
01-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Best I can tell, $625 for a FOUR INCH Triple Lock (assuming it wasn't sawn off) is just dead cheap, even considering the checkered trigger.

246 gr .44 Special is not loaded any hotter than it ever was and Lyman thinks 13000 CUPs is enough... which will still get you a 250 gr SWC over 800 fps. That is about all the fun I want and all the power I need. So go shooting.

Seven_Sicks_Two
01-09-2014, 01:07 AM
Best I can tell, $625 for a FOUR INCH Triple Lock (assuming it wasn't sawn off) is just dead cheap, even considering the checkered trigger.

246 gr .44 Special is not loaded any hotter than it ever was and Lyman thinks 13000 CUPs is enough... which will still get you a 250 gr SWC over 800 fps. That is about all the fun I want and all the power I need. So go shooting.

Any thoughts on factory ammo that would be safe for the TL? I've read some things about poor heat treating of the cylinders that makes me a little apprehensive. The last thing I'd want to do is blow up a piece of history.

Seven_Sicks_Two
03-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Snapped a couple of pictures with my phone:

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a480/mattt1024/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc58a6e92.jpg

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a480/mattt1024/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7f04d2ff.jpg

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a480/mattt1024/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7bfaa8a3.jpg

I'm really looking forward to running a few rounds through this one.

Tamara
03-12-2014, 06:04 PM
I'll be in my bunk.

Seven_Sicks_Two
03-12-2014, 06:13 PM
I'll be in my bunk.

If I ever decide to let it go, I'll let you know.

stand watie
03-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Seven_Sicks_Two,

My "little brother of the heart" has its twin & it shoots GREAT. = NICE "carry handgun" for hunting/fishing/most any "outdoor activity", ImVho.
(Ed sometimes even carried his concealed BUT then he's a BIG, muscular, guy.)

CONGRADS, sw

Alpha Sierra
03-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Oh Lord that is a thing of beauty

LSP972
03-13-2014, 07:02 AM
Great score, bud.

As for low-pressure factory ammunition… the generic 130gr ball .38 Special loading, as is available from everybody, is rather light. Some would say the FMJ bullets are not a good idea for a gun that old; given the vintage of your treasure, I'm not going to argue with that one way or the other. But Federal, and I think Winchester, still produce the "standard" .38 Special loading; 158gr RNL bullet at standard pressure/velocity. You'll probably have to order that stuff, though; I haven't seen it on store shelves in quite some time.

Another safe choice would be 148gr target wadcutters, but they are in the same category as the 158 RNL; not popular with the masses and therefore not generally available.

If you have a knowledgeable S&W mechanic available to you, I would have him check for endshake (both yoke and cylinder; if he gives you the RCA dog look when you mention those, shine him on) and timing before you shoot it. Odds are its fine; but if it is indeed bad out of time, problems will arise. Ditto with excessive endshake.

You did good; I should be so lucky.

Tamara
03-13-2014, 07:36 AM
Great score, bud.

As for low-pressure factory ammunition… the generic 130gr ball .38 Special loading, as is available from everybody, is rather light.

But the split cases in that .44 could make for extraction problems.

LSP972
03-17-2014, 07:41 AM
But the split cases in that .44 could make for extraction problems.

Sigh.

I'll go back to my room now...:o

tcRenegade
03-25-2014, 05:40 PM
If the price was right, definitely!