PDA

View Full Version : Tucked shirt, what do you carry?

MGW
12-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Out of pure curiosity I'm wondering what others carry concealed when they have to have a tucked in shirt and dress pants / khakis? Does it change if it's a true NPE?

My go to has been a revolver strong side in a pocket holster with speed strips in the opposite front pocket. I'll admit that even this set up feels a little to conspicuous in certain situations.

JV_
12-28-2013, 07:00 PM
J-Frame in a Smart Carry.

DocGKR
12-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Wear a jacket or vest.

Cultivate the Fred Rogers look...

jetfire
12-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Back in the day I used to rock a Beretta Jetfire in a pocket holster. These days if I'm really in a serious NPE, I just don't carry.

KeeFus
12-28-2013, 07:33 PM
442 in a pocket holster to a Galco ankle glove.

Shield in a Desantis pocket tuk.

Kobalt60
12-28-2013, 07:37 PM
SmartCarry

Clay
12-28-2013, 07:59 PM
NPE's - J Frame (442) in a Renegade ankle rig, or Springfield XDS-45 in a Smartcarry, depending on the pants and environment.

dpesec
12-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Glock 17with red dot sight

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

oldtexan
12-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Kahr PM9 in a DeSantis Superfly.

MD7305
12-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Glock 27 in a Bellyband.

jon volk
12-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Sweaters! Summer is a bit more complicated. Either the g17 in a belly band positioned 1:00, or the seecamp in the pocket. Looking to go with a smartcarry as the belly band sucks for 10 hours.

Greg Bell
12-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Jframe. Hell, that's what I carry most of the time unless I am feeling extra froggy.

ST911
12-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Fleece vests and sweaters for cover garments. Where a cover garment isn't doable, pocket and ankle holsters.

With available gear and tech, there's no equipment-based justification to go unarmed.

Dagga Boy
12-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Fanny Pack with a mid-full size pistol.

jon volk
12-28-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm not big and scary enough to pull off a fanny pack without pointing and laughter.

MGW
12-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Glock 17with red dot sight

And how do you carry this with a tucked in shirt?

MGW
12-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Fanny Pack with a mid-full size pistol.

With all due respect nyeti this would never work for me. Are you yanking my chain?

MGW
12-28-2013, 11:22 PM
I've seen smart carry come up lots of times. I never really gave a smart carry a serious consideration but it might be time to check them out. Maybe it was the pics of the 80's hairband girl that used to be on the website that kept me from taking a serious look at the holsters.

dpesec
12-28-2013, 11:28 PM
And how do you carry this with a tucked in shirt?

I use http://dalefrickeholsters.com/product/joshua-covert/

MGW
12-28-2013, 11:31 PM
I use http://dalefrickeholsters.com/product/joshua-covert/

I would like to see pics of this if possible. How low does it ride?

dpesec
12-28-2013, 11:32 PM
I'll try and snap one.

Up1911Fan
12-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Shield in a JM Custom tuckable AIWB. Spare mag in a Desantis pocket carrier.

baddean
12-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Kahr PM9 in a Cell Pal or in a Remora pocket carry.
Spare Kahr magazines are hard to carry loaded in a pocket because the rounds want to pop out when not contained. I've tried a small piece of cheap "scotch" tape over the top round with mixed success.
I missed the DeSantis pocket carrier. I'll have to check that one out.

LSP552
12-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Slacks and tucked shirt is what I wear everyday at work now. As a general rule it's a 642 in a Kramer Pocket Holster with a speed strip in the pocket. When it's cooler, a sweater or fleece vest makes IWB/OWB carry possible, as long as you don't have to take it off. An ankle holster may also be an option. Wearing an ankle holster in a NPE is not easy and you have to pay attention to how you sit and what you do with your legs.

Another option is carrying inside the shirt with some form of tuckable holster, but this has never really worked for me because of the added bulk. I have no experience with the Smart Carry.

What has worked, and I've used this method carrying in NPEs, is to carry the pistol under your tucked shirt without a holster. Some guns work better than others based on how well they stay put. You unbutton your shirt and slip the pistol in where the handle is held by the belt, button up and blouse the shirt just a bit. For the most part, depending on the gun, it is completely undetectable. I find the SIG P225 and 239 work well, the 228 with normal grips will slide down your pants in 2 seconds because of the hump in the grip. An airweight J-frame with rubber grips also works well in this manner if pocket carry doesn't work for you.

There are disadvantages carrying under a tucked shirt. It takes 2 hands to draw, is not fast, and not the best if you are going to be rolling around. The advantage is it does give you a real gun in a NPE. I'd never stick a Glock in my pants without a holster, but feel safe with a DA/SA 225/239. These guns are flat and, on me, stay put, and are undetectable outside of a patdown.

Ken

UNK
12-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Kahr P9 in a Raven concealment or a Colt Govt in a JRC AIWB. I just sent Raven an email last week that they need to make some modifications to their AIWB.
The JRC is awesome and needs nothing.
I can wear both of these under a tshirt tucked....but bloused

Drang
12-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Spare Kahr magazines are hard to carry loaded in a pocket because the rounds want to pop out when not contained. I've tried a small piece of cheap "scotch" tape over the top round with mixed success.

You might also try Dave Workman's (http://danddgunleather.com/index.htm) "Spare Change (http://danddgunleather.com/pages/spare.htm)", although Dave is pretty much a "made to order" guy, so wait times...

MGW
12-29-2013, 04:26 PM
What has worked, and I've used this method carrying in NPEs, is to carry the pistol under your tucked shirt without a holster. Some guns work better than others based on how well they stay put. You unbutton your shirt and slip the pistol in where the handle is held by the belt, button up and blouse the shirt just a bit. For the most part, depending on the gun, it is completely undetectable. I find the SIG P225 and 239 work well, the 228 with normal grips will slide down your pants in 2 seconds because of the hump in the grip. An airweight J-frame with rubber grips also works well in this manner if pocket carry doesn't work for you.

There are disadvantages carrying under a tucked shirt. It takes 2 hands to draw, is not fast, and not the best if you are going to be rolling around. The advantage is it does give you a real gun in a NPE. I'd never stick a Glock in my pants without a holster, but feel safe with a DA/SA 225/239. These guns are flat and, on me, stay put, and are undetectable outside of a patdown.

Ken

I've read about guys pulling this off with trigger guard holster like the Zack. I've tried it around the house but can't say that I'm very comfortable with it. A flatter pistol may help. I just can't get my shirt to blouse right and not look lumpy with a Glock.

UNK
12-29-2013, 05:09 PM
I've read about guys pulling this off with trigger guard holster like the Zack. I've tried it around the house but can't say that I'm very comfortable with it. A flatter pistol may help. I just can't get my shirt to blouse right and not look lumpy with a Glock.

It might be your holster. Look at JRC AIWB. It has a pad to move the top of the gun against your stomach and adjustable tension on the trigger guard to tuck the butt flat. Those two things make all the difference in the world.

LSP552
12-29-2013, 05:26 PM

I like Glocks, appreciate them for what they are, and have carried them off and on over the years, both at work and play. IMO, for their size, they are a printing MF. The square slide/rear corner just seems catch cover garments when carried strong side, FBI cant.

Ken

Clay
12-29-2013, 06:26 PM

Your best bet, IMHO, is to roll with a S&W 442/642 in a good ankle rig like the Renegade. A bit slow on the draw speed from standing, but at least you have a gun, and you don't have to stress out about getting bumped, or hugged, or bending over, etc. I went round and round with this for years before settling on my current setup. Lots of trial and error, and boxes full of holsters and guns. Ankle carry is the most comfortable and concealable way to carry in a NPE in my experience.

FWIW, an NPE, at least to me, is a place where if you're busted carrying a gun, you're fired and/or arrested.

Personally, and I mean no offense to anyone here, I learned years ago not to take concealment advice from cops (folks with creds better than a CHL) or people that live on a gun range (instructors). YMMV.

MGW
12-29-2013, 06:32 PM
I like Glocks, appreciate them for what they are, and have carried them off and on over the years, both at work and play. IMO, for their size, they are a printing MF. The square slide/rear corner just seems catch cover garments when carried strong side, FBI cant.

Ken

I've carried everything AIWB for the last two years with the exception of wearing a tucked in shirt. The revolver in a front pocket is okay but I would really like to come up with another option.

If I could figure out a way to carry a G26 with a tucked in shirt and feel comfortable with it in an NPE I would be golden. So far a smart carry or bellyband sound like something to check out. The JM tuckable might be an option too. I need to contact him and see how his test with the 26 went.

Dagga Boy
12-29-2013, 06:35 PM
With all due respect nyeti this would never work for me. Are you yanking my chain?

No, I m not trying to be funny. I use this all the time. I also have a really small fanny pack that looks to small for a gun that I carry my P2000Sk in in a Raven VG2. The Raven can be easily removed and carried fairly discreetly as well.
Another option is off body, but that is probably another thread.
Last option is the ankle holster. As stated you need to be careful with that one.

LSP972
12-29-2013, 07:17 PM
I've carried everything AIWB for the last two years with the exception of wearing a tucked in shirt. The revolver in a front pocket is okay but I would really like to come up with another option.

If I could figure out a way to carry a G26 with a tucked in shirt and feel comfortable with it in an NPE I would be golden. So far a smart carry or bellyband sound like something to check out. The JM tuckable might be an option too. I need to contact him and see how his test with the 26 went.

When I first went into plainclothes, the "uniform" was tucked polo shirt and slacks. I carried a G26 via Ken's method (mexican, under the tucked polo), strong side @ 3:00, for years. The tricky part is getting the pistol in place. You have to drop it down the open collar, and then slide it into place in your waist band, under the tucked polo, and adjust as necessary. The G26 is perfect for this sort of unorthodox carry, because the huge squared trigger guard pretty much locks the gun in place with snug trousers. Its really not as "dangerous" as it sounds, and once the piece is in place and settled, it will sit there all day unnoticed. I cannot speak for other pistols, as I've only done it with the G26. You'll need the 10 round flat base magazine, of course, to avoid printing.

As Ken stated, presenting from this position is a bit more complex, as you must rip your shirt up and out of the way while trying to establish a decent grip. Its doable, though you should practice both placing the piece and drawing/presenting sans ammo to get the feel for it first.

LSP972
12-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Personally, and I mean no offense to anyone here, I learned years ago not to take concealment advice from cops (folks with creds better than a CHL) or people that live on a gun range (instructors). YMMV.

No offense intended… but if you think an ankle holster is less liable to "print" or otherwise expose one's piece than a good pocket holster in properly-fitted slacks/trousers, then perhaps you should listen to some cops who have spent a career concealing their guns.

LSP552
12-29-2013, 07:50 PM
. Ankle carry is the most comfortable and concealable way to carry in a NPE in my experience.

FWIW, an NPE, at least to me, is a place where if you're busted carrying a gun, you're fired and/or arrested.

Everyones experiences are different, as is their environment. FOR ME, I find ankle holsters pretty easy to spot for someone who isn't sitting behind a desk or interacts with others while seated. I really have to be on guard not to cross my legs, stretch, etc. Every pair of dress slacks I own will show an ankle holster if I'm not careful.

Painting all cops or instructors with the same idiot brush is a bit harsh. There are some out there who know what they are talking about.

Ken

Clay
12-29-2013, 07:51 PM
No offense intended… but if you think an ankle holster is less liable to "print" or otherwise expose one's piece than a good pocket holster in properly-fitted slacks/trousers, then perhaps you should listen to some cops who have spent a career concealing their guns.

In my daily dress, pocket carry has never worked. As you said, it depends on the pants. The same is true for any other holster as well.

Again, not trying to offend anyone. I've spent the last fifteen years working around police officers, several of whom are my friends. With that said there is an undeniable difference between a law enforcement officer trying to conceal a pistol off duty and a civilian trying to do the same, in my experience. The difference is mindset. I know as a civilian, especially carrying in a true NPE, that if I am caught, I'm screwed. I'm certainly not anti LE in any way, but I can't ignore my own experience and the fact that I have seen lots of cops give terrible advice to their civilian friends and co-workers, including me, regarding firearms and holsters. Obviously not all cops are gun people, but most civilians think they are.

I just know that most of the LE people that I've been around aren't that worried about being made. Again that's just my experience.

Clay
12-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Painting all cops or instructors with the same idiot brush is a bit harsh. There are some out there who know what they are talking about.

Ken

You are absolutely correct and that was/is not my intent.

TheTrevor
12-29-2013, 07:59 PM
When I first went into plainclothes, the "uniform" was tucked polo shirt and slacks. I carried a G26 via Ken's method (mexican, under the tucked polo), strong side @ 3:00, for years. The tricky part is getting the pistol in place. You have to drop it down the open collar, and then slide it into place in your waist band, under the tucked polo, and adjust as necessary. The G26 is perfect for this sort of unorthodox carry, because the huge squared trigger guard pretty much locks the gun in place with snug trousers. Its really not as "dangerous" as it sounds, and once the piece is in place and settled, it will sit there all day unnoticed. I cannot speak for other pistols, as I've only done it with the G26. You'll need the 10 round flat base magazine, of course, to avoid printing.

The one time I've seen this type of gun-positioning done in person, it was with a G26 wearing a VG2/Zack-style trigger guard cover with long-ish lanyard attached. The LE type demonstrating it to me showed two different methods.

The first started with shirt untucked, pants fastened with belt loosely in place, and lanyard looped around belt. The gun was pushed up under the shirt with the right hand and grasped through the shirt with the left, approximately in position behind belt-line. Right hand then tucks shirt into pants with gun in position and then left hand moves down to tighten belt over gun.

The second was like your described method, with one added twist. Start with shirt tucked in, pants buttoned, fly open, belt loosely fastened. Pass lanyard down through collar followed by gun (and here comes the fun part) and wiggle about until lanyard emerges from open fly like you're passing a BoreSnake through a rifle barrel. (The rest of the procedure should be obvious.) Apparently the lanyard was helpful in guiding the gun into position, but personally, I found it to be the source of tremendous entertainment and amusement.

I think the big difference vs. your method was an almost-obsessive desire to maintain positive control over the gun throughout the process, hence the trigger-guard protector and extra handling steps. Not better or worse, just different.

David Armstrong
12-29-2013, 08:05 PM
It varies depending on where I'm going and/or what I'm doing. Commonly there is a 642 in a pants pocket or a Beretta 21 in the pocket, although I've also found the Beretta 21 in a DeSantis Model N65 Pistol Pack makes for a nice carry package. I've also got an old Uncle Mike belt pouch that is just right for my Glock 19. I'm often carrying a briefcase or messenger bag with me, and that allows carrying pretty much anything I want.

LSP972
12-29-2013, 08:26 PM
The one time I've seen this type of gun-positioning done in person, it was with a G26 wearing a VG2/Zack-style trigger guard cover with long-ish lanyard attached. The LE type demonstrating it to me showed two different methods.

The first started with shirt untucked, pants fastened with belt loosely in place, and lanyard looped around belt. The gun was pushed up under the shirt with the right hand and grasped through the shirt with the left, approximately in position behind belt-line. Right hand then tucks shirt into pants with gun in position and then left hand moves down to tighten belt over gun.

The second was like your described method, with one added twist. Start with shirt tucked in, pants buttoned, fly open, belt loosely fastened. Pass lanyard down through collar followed by gun (and here comes the fun part) and wiggle about until lanyard emerges from open fly like you're passing a BoreSnake through a rifle barrel. (The rest of the procedure should be obvious.) Apparently the lanyard was helpful in guiding the gun into position, but personally, I found it to be the source of tremendous entertainment and amusement.

I think the big difference vs. your method was an almost-obsessive desire to maintain positive control over the gun throughout the process, hence the trigger-guard protector and extra handling steps. Not better or worse, just different.

Back when I did this, the Vanguard/etc. genre of "trigger protectors" did not exist. There is absolutely NO need for a lanyard using Ken's method (he came up with it; not me). You're living on the edge doing this… either go all-in, or don't do it, I say. And dropping the piece down the open collar, with the shirt already tucked-in, is the best way to get the gun in place… that we have found, anyway.

FWIW, I tried a Vanguard a few years ago, when I was made aware of its existence. I was monumentally underwhelmed with it. I tried it in jeans, the 5.11 tuxedo, Dockers, and dress slacks. Same results- some times it worked, some times it snagged, caught or otherwise didn't work and gooned up the presentation. No thanks.

I would carry a striker-fired piece mexican these days only as a last resort. I would not hesitate (and don't) sticking a hammer gun- with my thumb over the hammer- in my pants for trips down the driveway, etc. Retirement and a lax dress code at my retirement gig allow me to wear un-tucked, Hawaiian-style shirts all the time, which are great for concealing a decent-sized pistol IWB; with a holster, of course.

But if I was suddenly told I had to start wearing the issue lab polo shirt tucked in, I'd dig my old G26 out of the safe, shoot it a bit and lube it up, and carry it mexican under that polo shirt as described, on the days I was working. That "system" is quite viable, but as I noted earlier, one should practice it dry a bit first.

And I'd probably start carrying a Glock all the time, too, so as not to confuse myself with the "Now, exactly what am I carrying today???" game.

KevinB
12-29-2013, 08:27 PM
NPE for me is somewhere I will get killed for having a gun.

LE U/C folks and Mil SMU and Intelligence folks being in this arena.

Clay
12-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Ed Lovette falls into this category and he wrote a great book called The Snubby Revolver. Highly recommended for those that haven't read it yet. Him and Roy Huntington turned me onto the Renegade ankle holster.

Dagga Boy
12-30-2013, 12:14 AM
Clay, you are right in one way. Off duty and retired guys don't often give a giant care, and I fall into that group these days. It's why I can get away with doing things the way I do.

With that said, working undercover and when I worked in the private sector it was a different story. I doubt many CHL holders have been patted down by a crook before. You learn a few things when that gun will both save your life or be the end if it.

One of the best systems I used was with my heel release HK P7 I would use a 550 cord loop for the nose of the pistol to fit in to keep it from dropping down my pants and it was a near perfect gun for tucked carry the way I did it.

For concealment the Renegade is the hot ticket because you can pull a sock over them. I used an Eagle upside down ankle rig because of my calf size, but when I not only worked at a store that Roy Huntington was initially a partner in when he was a young patrolman when I was in college, we sold the Renegades almost exclusively. Roy actually took me to my first shooting match when I was in college.

I will agree that many cops are soup sandwiches with their gear; however, there are many who have done the work to learn a lot of lessons on how to carry and on gear development.

TheTrevor
12-30-2013, 01:48 AM

Kevin, you make a great point that there are multiple points along the NPE risk curve, and I think it's important to distinguish between situations.

Quite a few folks are at the low end: CONUS/civilian where breaking cover will result in non-felony charges and/or termination from their current job.

Next step up is where I'm at: CA non-LE private citizen; CA CCW unobtainable in my county, but I'm squeaky clean so a first offense would be a misdemeanor at worst; and I work in a massively interconnected industry where breaking cover at work would have far-reaching implications for future employment. Word gets around fast.

Then there's the CONUS/civilian situations where breaking cover even for a justified shoot is likely to result in serious charges. Even CA isn't THAT bad, surprisingly.

All of that pales in comparison to U/C work in CONUS (may lead to shooting) or OCONUS (diplomatic incident at best, execution a possibility).

As noted, I'm in the middle of the risk continuum and for me the consequences of breaking cover pale in comparison to folks working U/C OCONUS, but nonetheless it would be a serious blow to me and my family if I were forced to start over in a different career at this point.

MGW
12-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Ed Lovette falls into this category and he wrote a great book called The Snubby Revolver. Highly recommended for those that haven't read it yet. Him and Roy Huntington turned me onto the Renegade ankle holster.

I've read Lovette's book. I'll have to read it again as I don't remember him talking about carrying in true NPEs in that book. I seem to remember him talking about the snubby being a last ditch minimum level of protection more than anything.

It's been a year or so since I've read it though.

Edit to add I really like the direction this conversation is going.

There is zero security where I work however I work in an environment where a pocket knife is technically against policy and could get me fired. I carry one anyway and so do a lot of other people. I firearm is obviously an entirely different ball of wax. I have chosen to leave it in my vehicle but if it were discovered even that would result in immediate termination. So is it life or death for me? No, but getting fired would put a serious dent in my ability to provide for my family. On the flip side, ending up dead because of some idiot shooting up the place and me not being able to defend myself would be pretty bad for my family too.

trailrunner
12-30-2013, 11:30 AM
I work on a military base, and I have to pass through two gates to get to my workplace.

If I were caught at the outer gate, I've heard conflicting things on what would happen. One scenario would be that I would be told that I couldn't come on base with a firearm and politely be asked to leave. I think that would apply to a visitor, but since I work there and presumably know the rules, I would probably be held to a higher standard and might suffer more severe consequences. However, if I were caught at the second gate, it would be a much bigger deal and could easily result in federal charges and losing my job.

I keep all this in mind every time I go through the active shooter training we have to take every year. :p

Mr_White
12-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Every time one of these discussions happens, I am always reminded of the wide range of threat profiles, clothing and equipment restrictions/possibilities, levels of scrutiny, and consequence of NPE people believe themselves subject to.

Some people almost never have to have a tucked in shirt. Some people work in a formal business environment with very restrictive dress and social codes while under a lot of scrutiny.

Some people, if caught in an NPE, face being asked to leave, or maybe lose a inconsequential job. Some people will lose a valuable career, face arrest, or blown cover and the resultant physical danger.

Some people choose not to carry a gun when facing only a mostly-unenforceable informal social prohibition against it. Some people choose to carry a gun even in the face of possible arrest.

Some people think they can only hide a tiny little gun, but are completely wrong. Some people think they can only hide a tiny little gun, and are probably right.

Lots of good ideas posted by people who find themselves somewhere along this range of situations.

theJanitor
12-30-2013, 12:45 PM
survivalsheath's chest rig has worked very well for me. And it's not at the waistline/ankle, where I think most of us look, when we look for a gun.

Who's got pics of their setup (excluding anyone running a thunderwear rig :eek:)?

MGW
12-30-2013, 01:50 PM
survivalsheath's chest rig has worked very well for me. And it's not at the waistline/ankle, where I think most of us look, when we look for a gun.

Who's got pics of their setup (excluding anyone running a thunderwear rig :eek:)?

I'm experimenting around the house with a 26, MIC, and tucked in shirt. It's actually working very well with the dry fit material shirts I normally wear at work. No printing as long as my arms aren't overhead. The issue is the cord sticks out like a sore thumb against khakis if it happens to peak out from behind my belt. I might need to find some thin coyote brown cord. I have tan 550 cord but I think it would be to thick.

I'll post some pics if this looks like something I'll do.

UNK
12-30-2013, 03:30 PM
I've read Lovette's book. I'll have to read it again as I don't remember him talking about carrying in true NPEs in that book. I seem to remember him talking about the snubby being a last ditch minimum level of protection more than anything.

It's been a year or so since I've read it though.

Edit to add I really like the direction this conversation is going.

I have chosen to leave it in my vehicle but if it were discovered even that would result in immediate termination.

You might want to check on that. My work has the same policy, however the KY State Supreme Court has a different viewpoint. I know no one wants to go through the hassle but its good info to have.

ArmyCop
12-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Out of pure curiosity I'm wondering what others carry concealed when they have to have a tucked in shirt and dress pants / khakis? Does it change if it's a true NPE?

My go to has been a revolver strong side in a pocket holster with speed strips in the opposite front pocket. I'll admit that even this set up feels a little to conspicuous in certain situations.

Mostly same as you for me - when tucked shirt it's usually a J Frame S&W 640-1 in my front pocket.
On rare occasions depending on pants it may be a Bond Arms Derringer but mostly J Frame Revolver.

baddean
12-30-2013, 05:30 PM
I realize I'm putting my total lack of tacticoolness on public display here and did some research prior to said display, but all I could come up with was:
NullPointerException
Natural Penis Enlargement
Non-Practicing Entity
Nonyl Phenol Ethoxylate
Non-Paternity Event
Negative Play Experience
Non-Polar Extractives
Nuclear Packing Efficiency
Non-Permanent Employee
And others, but I didn't think these are what our Op was referring to.
I also got from this thread that there must be just plain NPEs, true NPEs, and serious NPEs.
What is NPE?
Thanks for not laughing at me (even if you are)

Mr_White
12-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Non-Permissive Environment

baddean
12-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Non-Permissive Environment

Ok, that one didn't come up in my search.
Thank you

theJanitor
12-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Kahr Cw40 in said survivalsheath chest rig:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/F3BCBE05-480E-494F-BB45-790BC6AA3F6D.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/grandprixboy/media/F3BCBE05-480E-494F-BB45-790BC6AA3F6D.jpg.html)

As soon as I'm done posting this, I'm going to google "nuclear packing efficiency"

MGW
12-30-2013, 07:09 PM
What pistol are you carrying Mr. Janitor?

theJanitor
12-30-2013, 08:24 PM
What pistol are you carrying Mr. Janitor?

Kahr CW40, chopped to PM grip size

fixer
12-31-2013, 07:37 AM
For most NPEs...I put a carry rig under my pants. It is a separate belt and IWB holster and G26. The pants go on. The shirt is tucked in. At 3:30 I put the shirt between the gun and my side. The pants go over the whole thing. The outer belt is over sized. I use black pants exclusively for this. This also works because I'm a large guy. Although this concealment gives me a "real" gun and conceals well, trying to draw adds about a million seconds.

camsdaddy
12-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Smartcarry

YammyMonkey
01-04-2014, 05:38 PM
I spent 8 years in an NPE where, if caught, I would have been at least fired, if not had the cops called on me and I would have probably never gotten another job in that industry again. Dress standard was slacks and a tucked in shirt; sometimes with a tie and sometimes without.

Over the years I used a Smart Carry to conceal a Kimber Compact 1911, a full size M&P9 and a Shield. The M&P worked well enough with pleated pants, but not at all with flat fronts. The Shield with the flat base mag was required for the flat fronts. In all cases I needed to have the pants tailored to fit, but that's not much of a hurdle. All of the tailors I worked with were familiar with having to work on clothes to accommodate guns and I didn't look specifically for gun-friendly tailors.

The drawstroke is relatively simple and can be very fast if you practice. About the same as working from a concealed AIWB holster.

The Smart Carry will wear out over time. The heavier the gun, the sooner it wears out. I think I got at least 2 years of 5-6 day per week 8-12 hours per day out of all of mine.

Abrasive grip tape or checkering will ruin your clothes as will sharp edged rear sights, but that takes a few years of use.

I also use the Smart Carry when I'm running and it works great. Keeps the sweat off of the gun and fast/easy to access.

MGW
01-04-2014, 06:36 PM
I spent 8 years in an NPE where, if caught, I would have been at least fired, if not had the cops called on me and I would have probably never gotten another job in that industry again. Dress standard was slacks and a tucked in shirt; sometimes with a tie and sometimes without.

Over the years I used a Smart Carry to conceal a Kimber Compact 1911, a full size M&P9 and a Shield. The M&P worked well enough with pleated pants, but not at all with flat fronts. The Shield with the flat base mag was required for the flat fronts. In all cases I needed to have the pants tailored to fit, but that's not much of a hurdle. All of the tailors I worked with were familiar with having to work on clothes to accommodate guns and I didn't look specifically for gun-friendly tailors.

The drawstroke is relatively simple and can be very fast if you practice. About the same as working from a concealed AIWB holster.

The Smart Carry will wear out over time. The heavier the gun, the sooner it wears out. I think I got at least 2 years of 5-6 day per week 8-12 hours per day out of all of mine.

Abrasive grip tape or checkering will ruin your clothes as will sharp edged rear sights, but that takes a few years of use.

I also use the Smart Carry when I'm running and it works great. Keeps the sweat off of the gun and fast/easy to access.

Almost exactly the situation I'm in including attire. Thanks for the post. Smart carry is on my try list now without a doubt.

EChryst
01-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Smart carry is on my try list now without a doubt.

So when you guys refer to Smart carry, are you referring to that style holster? Or the specific Smart Carry brand?

I currently have the PT-2 Concealment holster from pistolwear.com (http://www.pistolwear.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=ia1321496070781), and while it's pretty good, I'd be willing to give the SmartCarry a try myself.

Right now I'm using the PT-2 for runs/walks in athletic shorts for a gun, and a clipped flashlight and a clipped knife (on the waistband)

MGW
01-04-2014, 08:48 PM
So when you guys refer to Smart carry, are you referring to that style holster? Or the specific Smart Carry brand?

I currently have the PT-2 Concealment holster from pistolwear.com (http://www.pistolwear.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=ia1321496070781), and while it's pretty good, I'd be willing to give the SmartCarry a try myself.

Right now I'm using the PT-2 for runs/walks in athletic shorts for a gun, and a clipped flashlight and a clipped knife (on the waistband)

I've come close to ordering this multiple times. I wonder about the material durability and the can't of the pistol in the holster. Will it accommodate a straight drop or is it to short for that? Would really like to see some detailed pics.

EChryst
01-04-2014, 09:35 PM
I've come close to ordering this multiple times. I wonder about the material durability and the can't of the pistol in the holster. Will it accommodate a straight drop or is it to short for that? Would really like to see some detailed pics.

I'll see what I can put together tomorrow.

It's supposed to have the gun sit horizontally. I'm not interested in that, personally, so I can fit my 442, G26 and G19 in a straight drop/AIWB type carry. There's a thumb strap that is supposed to keep it closed, I use it similarly to a thumb break on a holster.

EChryst
01-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Okay - the PT-2 is a smaller version of their PT-ONE.

Similar in function to the PT-ONE, the PT-2 is a single pouch version that utilizes a smaller footprint and narrower belt. Although the pouch size can accommodate some full size semi-autos, the PT-2 Holster was designed to fit compact semi-autos or smaller revolvers.

My Gen 3 Glock 19 probably is the limit of what it can hold. They recommend you carry the gun in the holster horizontally. Homie don't play that, so I carry it as a straight drop.

Here is the orientation of the 19 in the PT-2 on the outside, for reference
http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae359/echryst/photo4_zps51012519.jpg (http://s987.photobucket.com/user/echryst/media/photo4_zps51012519.jpg.html)

Here is the 19 inside with the latch serving as a thumb break as well as to keep the gun in this location
http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae359/echryst/photo3_zps048ca2b6.jpg (http://s987.photobucket.com/user/echryst/media/photo3_zps048ca2b6.jpg.html)

Here is the holster on my body - I don't wear it as low as some other guys do - it's generally at the same height as my AIWB holster.
http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae359/echryst/photo2_zps6b5771e1.jpg (http://s987.photobucket.com/user/echryst/media/photo2_zps6b5771e1.jpg.html)

And with a t-shirt draped.
http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae359/echryst/photo1_zps3260ab1f.jpg (http://s987.photobucket.com/user/echryst/media/photo1_zps3260ab1f.jpg.html)

I can't help too much with dressy clothes, because I don't work in an environment where that is called for, but for me, it's the equivalent of wearing belt less pants (pajama, scrubs, athletic shorts).

The only thing I'm working thru is attaching a MIC or a RCS VG2 (-strut) to act as a trigger guard. Not that the trigger can be pressed in the holster and I keep the knife and the light outside of the pocket.

Hopefully that helps.

ETA: I wore the drawstring of my pants a little lower for the picture - normally the top of my pants is as high on the "pouch" as possible, right below the magnetic thumb strap connection. The closer the drawstring line is to the opening of pouch the more secure and less floppy it is while running. The drawstring serves as extra support.

MGW
01-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Best pictures I've seen yet. Thank you.

Do you find that your 19 shifts around throughout the day? Is that why your looking to set up a MIC?

EChryst
01-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Do you find that your 19 shifts around throughout the day? Is that why your looking to set up a MIC?

My 19 doesn't shift, only because it's as long as the holster is. The strap sits perfectly in the backstrap to proven it from rotating. The 26 and the 442 on the other hand, aren't long enough to "wedge" themselves in place, and the MIC type trigger guard may be overkill, but I'm on the fence about it.

feudist
01-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Every time one of these discussions happens, I am always reminded of the wide range of threat profiles, clothing and equipment restrictions/possibilities, levels of scrutiny, and consequence of NPE people believe themselves subject to.

Some people almost never have to have a tucked in shirt. Some people work in a formal business environment with very restrictive dress and social codes while under a lot of scrutiny.

Some people, if caught in an NPE, face being asked to leave, or maybe lose a inconsequential job. Some people will lose a valuable career, face arrest, or blown cover and the resultant physical danger.

Some people choose not to carry a gun when facing only a mostly-unenforceable informal social prohibition against it. Some people choose to carry a gun even in the face of possible arrest.

Some people think they can only hide a tiny little gun, but are completely wrong. Some people think they can only hide a tiny little gun, and are probably right.

Lots of good ideas posted by people who find themselves somewhere along this range of situations.

Pretty much spot on.

Excellent, succinct summary

Squall
01-09-2014, 09:01 PM
I notice no one seems to like any of the hyrid iwb rigs like the Crossbreed Supertuck, the Galco King-tuk, or the Com-Tac Minotaur. Is there something about them I don't know? I would think something like that would be better than modified "gangsta" carry.

camsdaddy
01-09-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm unsure what "modified gangsta carry" is. However I know several people who use hybrid holsters. I have one I use when I am not tucking my shirt. The reason I know that several people use them is I notice the big clips on their belts. Wheni need to tuck I need to tuck

Squall
01-09-2014, 09:42 PM
There were a few prior posts where, unless I misunderstood something, people were talking about just putting a G26 in their waistband and tightening their belt to hold it in place. And I thought most of those holsters had options for more discreet clips or velcro strips.

camsdaddy
01-09-2014, 10:00 PM
I am sure some do carry that way. Yes they make discreet clips but the one I've noticed have either been the comp tac plastic or the crossbreed metal clips.

MGW
01-09-2014, 10:19 PM
"Wheni need to tuck I need to tuck"

Phrasing!

But ditto. Plus I don't imagine a hybrid holster being very comfortable for appendix carry.

JeffJ
01-10-2014, 10:19 AM
I tried out a Crossbreed several years ago. I hated it, it doesn't retain the gun very well until you cinch up your belt and you can't cinch up your belt until you get everything tucked in and arranged. So I ended up doing this crazy Cossack looking dance to get all situated, which wasn't too bad at home but is a real PITA in a restroom stall. The Velcro deals make it even more difficult. I also didn't think that having that much material in the holster was very comfortable.

The JR Custom AIWB is the best tucking solution I've found, but I've been getting away from AIWB - I do have JR Customs new IWB holster with tuckable loops on the way. I'll let everybody know how it works out.