PDA

View Full Version : Pants. (Or, A Newbie's Guide to Functional Clothing)

Chance
12-27-2013, 07:07 PM
I am a total newbie when it comes to selecting clothing that does more than, you know... maintain modesty. And I'm apparently bad at selecting aesthetically appealing clothing, at least according to everyone I know.

Anyways, I'm going to be taking more classes and doing serious training in 2014, and I need clothing that I can beat up and abuse. I could just buy some cheap jeans for this, but it seems the cost of that strategy may add up compared to buying something quality that will last a while.

The only brand I have ever heard of is 5.11 Tactical, which seems to be very popular. I was going to ask the people here for additional suggestions, as I'm sure there's a whole industry dedicated to exactly this sort of thing.

The caveat being that I want something comparable to an average pair of denim jeans, at least in terms of (I have no vocabulary to describe fabric...) range of motion, elasticity, et cetera. I always wear a plain pair of denim shorts or jeans, and I don't want to develop habits that are not tenable with these items. Also, I would really like to be able to try something on before buying it, so brands with storefronts or retailers would be great (but not required).

Recommended clothing does not need to enhance, and may indeed detract from, my appearance. Any suggestions are appreciated.

LittleLebowski
12-27-2013, 07:12 PM
I think many here (including myself) prefer Vertx (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U6VXUG/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004U6VXUG&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20) for pants. Really don't wrinkle, fits closely, nice pockets, very durable. One of the belt loops is kinda problematic for where many of us like to put our spare mag carrier but really, they're still great pants and better than 5.11.

Edited to add: Carhartt (http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&bbn=1040658&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&qid=1358787348&rh=n%3A1036592%2Cn%3A!1036682%2Cn%3A1040658%2Cp_4% 3ACarhartt%2Cp_8%3A2226294011&rnid=597789011&tag=ratio07-20) is true working men's wear and on sale right now as well.

Dagga Boy
12-27-2013, 07:25 PM
I live in Duluth Fire Hose stuff. I recently got some Transcons for teaching in (our special details were issued them, so i was excited to find them). I generally train in Arctyrx, Vertex, or recently got some Massif stuff. I am built like Shrek, so a lot of stuff doesn't fit me like the makers probably intended.

JM Campbell
12-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Duluth Trading Co "Fire Hose Pants" are pretty tough. Been rocking them since Nyeti recommended them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Maple Syrup Actual
12-27-2013, 07:35 PM
I hate to admit it but I like both the 5.11 Taclite Pros and the STRIKE pants.

But if I won't be getting dirty, my favorite pants are now the Mountain Hardwear "passenger" pants.

Slightly dressy, totally non - tactical in appearance, high degree of movement. Actual grey man clothing for the city.

jon volk
12-27-2013, 07:44 PM
I primarily live in Levis 559 jeans.

Wrinkle free Dockers when required. They have nice large pocket openings for when I don't wear a sweater to conceal a full size pistol.

I just can't get into stuff like 511. Seems all too gimmicky and I'm no operator.

LittleLebowski
12-27-2013, 07:58 PM
I just can't get into stuff like 511. Seems all too gimmicky and I'm no operator.

The POCKETS. They're awesome :D

Not to mention that some like the afore mentioned Vertex are more discreet than 5.11s.

JSGlock34
12-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Retired the 5.11s in favor of Vertx a few years ago and haven't looked back. I recently picked up a pair in the new gray color they are offering. I received a bunch of sale emails over the last few weeks from Vertx - I imagine this is still a good time to buy.

TGS
12-27-2013, 08:11 PM
I just wear regular jeans or shorts. They seem to work fine for what essentially is a hobby.

But, FWIW, 5.11 TacLite pants have a stellar reputation at my workplace by people who wear them working 60+ hours a week...specifically for durability and build quality. I would have to agree, even though I prefer a different brand for other reasons. I wouldn't hesitate buying them.

JDM
12-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Lots of good pants discussion here:

pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?7082-Pants

TheTrevor
12-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Another vote for 5.11 TacLite pants. The pockets are excellent, and the left thigh pocket is perfect for an iPhone with a protective case on.

I've tried several different varieties of kneepad insert for the 5.11 pants, but so far these are the ones I like best:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H0MHT6/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004H0MHT6&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20

I really want to try some of the Arc'teryx stuff, though.

littlejerry
12-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Lots of good pants discussion here:

pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?7082-Pants

After all of the suggestions on the forum I ended up with kuhl rydr pants. They fit relatively well, are durable, and move with me. They are made with some kind of dye intended to fade so after a year of use my pants look like they have been to hell and back. I have no idea what they'll look like in another year... But at least the stitching and fabric is durable.

I suggest going to REI and trying on different pants. Personally I avoid the super light synthetics as they don't seem like they'll hold up in briars and thick brush.

ffhounddog
12-27-2013, 09:55 PM
I have been wearing wranglers a lot lately. Seem to hold up. Dulth fire hose is good and they have a good return policy if they are too big.

I second going to REI and I get Carhartts at Tractor Supply if you want to find your size if you are going to order online.

I cannot get into 5.11s the ones I bought a few times online were tight in the groin area.

Drang
12-27-2013, 10:28 PM
I have been wearing wranglers a lot lately.
In that other britches thread, I was not the only one to recommend Riggs (by Wrangler) Ranger work pants. Cargo pockets, knife pockets, cell phone pockets, reinforced knees, and a vestigial hammer/paint brush loop so they look like work pants, not "tactical pants."

JodyH
12-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Duluth Trading Co. "Firehose Work Pants", not cheap, not tacticool looking, long lasting, lots of sturdy belt loops to support your gear and have awesome pockets.
I can actually pocket carry my P2000SK in them without printing.
They're a bit warm in the summer but that's when I switch to Duluth "Cool Dry Firehose Summer Shorts".

Chipster
12-27-2013, 10:45 PM
The best pair of pants I've worn have been Woolrich Elite. I love the pocket layout and they are by FAR the most comfortable "tactical" pant I've ever worn. Saying that, since I am supposed to be a "normal" Detective (whatever the hell that means), so I've been wearing Old Navy cargo pants. They are cheap ($25) and comfortable although they last only about 1 year. The Woolrich's I was told looked a little too sloppy for everyday wear. 5.11's suck for me as I have these thick thighs and they tend to bunch right up in an uncomfortable place. The Vertyx I tried were like Levi "slim" fit jeans. They fit alright in the waist, but everything below that was squished, badly, almost inappropriately!

Cookie Monster
12-27-2013, 10:58 PM
I am all about the Arborwear Pants now, mostly Original Tree Climbers. Estimators for nicer occasions. Lots of room in the crotch, double knees. I can only find them online, no store around me has them.

I used Carhartts for years, during lots of outside, heavy work. I blew out the crotch on 4 pairs in a year and gave up on them.

When I got into the gun thing, I bought a bunch of 5.11 pants. The cargos never really fit well and the covert cargos where great but faded quickly and the elastic failed quickly. I was not impressed with the quality.

I've had good luck with REI brand pants, I have some of the travel pants which are great for hot weather and really feel like pajamas. I spend 12 weeks hiking around New Zealand in them and they were great. The Carhartt clones were great as well. Most of those won't fit a 1.75" belt, they are tight for 1.5" belts.

I wouldn't mind trying some Fire Hose pants.

For training classes, I tend to train in what I wear everyday. Except for the classes in the snow, I wore snowboard pants. I use a carabiner to clip my ear pro to my pants so they are no always on my head instead of throwing them in a cargo pocket. Extra mags go in back pockets, carbine and pistol. I'll use a Columbia photo vest to load out of for shotgun classes.

I don't see a need for something special for classes but I have never operated. Make sure a good belt fits and you can run in them, etc., extra pockets are good but not needed.

Did I really write this much about pants?

Cheers,
Cookie Monster

Malamute
12-27-2013, 11:14 PM
I'm a fan of Carhartts. The front pockets are noticeably larger and more comfortable than jeans to carry tons of junk, or a gun etc. Really like the leg pockets, they work great for a light on the left and the clip knife in the upper right leg pocket, my hand doesn't catch on it like it does when going into the regular pockets. Someone mentioned not liking the hammer loop (other thread?). I cut them off first thing when I get a new pair, along with the pocket label. I hung up on the loop once, not good. A real sharp pocket knife can cut the loop back under the edge of the seams they were sewn under.

Can get various colors for social camo, woods use or whatever.

Have some Carhartt shorts for summer, they work well too. Like the model with the same leg pocket arrangement as the work pants. The right leg pocket fits a g-19 well enough tor tooling around in the yard, though the back pockets are great for that also.

Eli
12-28-2013, 12:03 AM
In that other britches thread, I was not the only one to recommend Riggs (by Wrangler) Ranger work pants. Cargo pockets, knife pockets, cell phone pockets, reinforced knees, and a vestigial hammer/paint brush loop so they look like work pants, not "tactical pants."

Yup. Unless I'm in scrubs (or very rarely, dress pants), the only long britches I wear are Ranger Work Pants. They are one of the only companies that make quality pants big enough to fit me, and they are some REALLY tough pants.

http://www.viccouniforms.com/Riggs-Workwear-3W060-by-Wrangler-Ripstop-Ranger-Pant.html

DocGKR
12-28-2013, 01:14 AM
If I am not in scrubs or a suit, then typically Carhartt's--never 5.11's...

l8apex
12-28-2013, 03:25 AM
Kuhl Revolvr Pants. You can use them to train and go out later without looking like a Tactical Ted. Nothing screams CCW more than 5.11 like cargo pants once your off the square range.

It's the Indian, not the Arrow.

Chefdog
12-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Concerning the Vertx and Carhart pants: Do they fit true to size, compared to regular old jeans? I read a couple reviews on amazon where people claimed the Vertx pants run a size or two small? Any input is appreciated, thanks.

LittleLebowski
12-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Vertx run a half size smaller in my experience. I usually wear a 34" waist when NOT carrying AIWB and 36" when carrying but their 36" is snug but still works for AIWB.

ST911
12-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Concerning the Vertx and Carhart pants: Do they fit true to size, compared to regular old jeans? I read a couple reviews on amazon where people claimed the Vertx pants run a size or two small? Any input is appreciated, thanks.

The newer Vertx seem to have a more generous fit but still pretty true to size. With the early ones, if you were at a size threshold or carried IWB, you needed to go up a size.

I really like the Vertx. They are a highly functional utility pant with a neat, office-friendly look. I also like the articulated knee for it's added length to the pant leg.

Chefdog
12-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Looks like the Vertx are a pretty versatile, lightweight, but durable pant. Thanks for the info.

ST911
12-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Of the many pants listed in this thread, how many are available in a 38" inseam, or in an unhemmed length that would give me 38"? Most pants max out at 36", and some at 34".

ToddG
12-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Of the many pants listed in this thread, how many are available in a 38" inseam, or in an unhemmed length that would give me 38"? Most pants max out at 36", and some at 34".

http://www.surgeryencyclopedia.com/La-Pa/Leg-Lengthening-Shortening.html#b

littlejerry
12-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Kuhl Revolvr Pants. You can use them to train and go out later without looking like a Tactical Ted. Nothing screams CCW more than 5.11 like cargo pants once your off the square range.

It's the Indian, not the Arrow.

My wife and I always play "spot the ccw" when we see someone wearing 5.11 or other "tactical" cargo pants in public.

Chefdog
12-28-2013, 11:47 AM

Dude,
You've got a sick and twisted sense of humor.

Can we be friends?

ST911
12-28-2013, 12:27 PM

When my Obamacare enrollment comes through, it's on the list. In the meantime... ;)

TheTrevor
12-28-2013, 04:39 PM
My wife and I always play "spot the ccw" when we see someone wearing 5.11 or other "tactical" cargo pants in public.

One of the few nice things, gunnery-wise, about living in urban California is that people tend to either be oblivious or assume that I'm LE when I occasionally wear 5.11 Taclites out in public, as long as I'm wearing decent boots/shoes and a presentable shirt. Nice for range trips and home-maintenance weekends when they're the utilitarian choice.

Hatchetman
12-28-2013, 06:47 PM
I've got a couple pair of Railriders that are holding up pretty well. Heard good things about Kuhls, but last time I looked they cut off at 34" inseam, which doesn't cut it for my long legs. Want to try the Duluth offerings, but they never show up on eBay and thus offend my frugal shopping habits.

I find I can make most jeans work but, as mentioned, you have to game out IWB, OWB and how you carry gear in your pockets to sort out that fit. I've started training H2H stuff pretty hard lately and have dropped 2 inches around the waist; going to a Dale Fricke IWB mag holder has kept larger waist size pants in play.

All this turns into skippy whipping, however, without a decent belt. I've seen a lot of peeps parade about in their tacticool pantalones which they then anchor with whatever works for Sunday church. My experience is that with a decent belt you can make just about any pair of trousers suffice.

Dagga Boy
12-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Easy on the 5.11 stuff....I look great in my 5.11 tactical kilt.

cdunn
12-28-2013, 09:21 PM
I like the 5.11 pants, I dig the big pockets, cheap on close out prices and life time warranty.I wish I had the money for some of those other pants.

Chance
12-29-2013, 01:18 PM
The Vertyx I tried were like Levi "slim" fit jeans. They fit alright in the waist, but everything below that was squished, badly, almost inappropriately!

I have that problem with a lot of pants, for whatever reason. The waist is fine, and then everything south of there just binds and becomes very uncomfortable. I can't even try Wranglers on, they're so tight in the crotch.

Nephrology
12-29-2013, 02:10 PM
I have that problem with a lot of pants, for whatever reason. The waist is fine, and then everything south of there just binds and becomes very uncomfortable. I can't even try Wranglers on, they're so tight in the crotch.

Years of soccer and rugby have given me an ass that is very hard to shop for. I am used to most of my pants fitting that way as a result.

I like Vertx and carhartt if I am going to be running around outside and mucking things up, but usually I am happy wearing levis. ArborWear makes some OK pairs of thick pants but I was a bit disapointed in their durability. I will try for Duluth Trading Co. next time I am in the market.

Chefdog
12-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Chance & Chipster,
How're you guys built? I was ready to order a pair of Vertx, but now I'm worried ill end up looking like some morphed out tacti-metro-hipster guy? What gives with the fit?

Chance
12-29-2013, 02:46 PM
How're you guys built?

If I could articulate it, I could probably avoid issues pertaining to it. :) I would think that if most pants don't give you issues, you'll probably be fine. I seem to be in the minority with this particular problem.

Chefdog
12-29-2013, 03:34 PM
If I could articulate it, I could probably avoid issues pertaining to it. :) I would think that if most pants don't give you issues, you'll probably be fine. I seem to be in the minority with this particular problem.

Ok, cool. I generally don't have issues, but I don't go looking for slim cut anything. Ill just shut up and try a pair. Thanks

LtDave
12-30-2013, 02:03 PM
If you want a "tactical" pant my favorite is the Tru-Spec 24-7 in cotton canvas. Much better pockets than 5.11 or Woolrich and a much nicer expandable waistband. I usually buy from Galls since they will hem them to order. Duluth Trading firehose stuff is nice as well. I like them because they are about the only place on earth where you can find pants with a 28" inseam.

JMS
12-30-2013, 02:19 PM

I've a buddy that's built like a garden rake; all leg, no torso. I can grab him by his ankles and use him to get leaves out of my gutters....or to cane people....

Same kind of inseam. He uses Vertx; selects the "UNF" option and gets them hemmed.

Most recent coupon code I have for them, used as of 3 Dec: TMVTX40CA

JSGlock34
01-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Vertx (http://www.wearvertx.com/?utm_source=emailc123113top)is having a New Year's Sale - NEWYEAR14 takes 20.14% off your order.

jc000
01-01-2014, 07:57 PM
I like the fit and look of Mountain Khakis but I haven't found them to be exceptionally durable. I still wear them quite a bit. I like Patagonia pants a lot, their clothes (in general) seem to last forever. Both of these options are pricy and I only buy on sale.

Clyde from Carolina
01-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Easy on the 5.11 stuff....I look great in my 5.11 tactical kilt.

;)

Up1911Fan
01-02-2014, 11:09 AM
I live in Vertx when I can. Mountain Khakis or Kuhl when I need something other than cargos.

justintime
01-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Car harts hold up extremely well in the brush, they are comfy, and cheap