PDA

View Full Version : New S&W 929 for 2014

66L
12-26-2013, 09:28 PM

I'll be interested to see if this makes it to production this coming year, but it could be pretty awesome for competition.

The only information I can find on it is a thread at Smith & Wesson Forum (http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/350450-model-929-pc-new-2014-a.html) and an unlisted YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBW3IJdU4bQ).

If Jerry Miculek is, literally, putting his name on it, I hope it will be a great piece.

Tamara
12-26-2013, 11:37 PM
...it could be pretty awesome for competition.

A Mazdaspeed MX-5 Cup car might be pretty good for racing, too. ;)

I don't know what this gun would be ideal for other than competition. (It's an obvious outgrowth of the .38 Super PC627s...)

JSGlock34
12-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Speaking of 9mm revolvers, I wouldn't mind seeing S&W bring back the 940 or another 9mm J frame variant...

Chuck Haggard
12-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Speaking of 9mm revolvers, I wouldn't mind seeing S&W bring back the 940 or another 9mm J frame variant...

Only if it actually works.

IMHO the 9mm has proven to be a horrible revolver round.

Having to eject cases with a mallet is a no-go in a real fight.

66L
12-27-2013, 07:46 AM
I think this was introduced for competitors and collectors. Can't imagine much use outside of that. With USPSA allowing 8-shot minor in revolvers this will be the dominant gun for those that don't reload 38 Short Colt for a 627.

Tamara
12-27-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm actually kinda regretting not getting one of the .38 Super guns when I could still get employee discounts. :(

FotoTomas
12-27-2013, 12:42 PM
I would love that revolver as a 4 inch service type assuming the extraction problems were corrected. I too had a 940 that needed a rubber mallet in the range bag.

jetfire
12-27-2013, 01:00 PM
I think this was introduced for competitors and collectors. Can't imagine much use outside of that. With USPSA allowing 8-shot minor in revolvers this will be the dominant gun for those that don't reload 38 Short Colt for a 627.

Yeah, the 8-shot minor is going to completely change up the revo game at the Area level. Although I don't think it will affect Nationals, since most of the stages there last year were fairly six round friendly.

Tamara
12-27-2013, 01:04 PM
As a side note:

Speaking as a Smith revolver nerd, that model designation makes me itch. The last two digits make you think it's a .44 Mag N-frame with some exotic new frame material other than stainless or Al/Sc alloy.

Dagga Boy
12-27-2013, 01:19 PM
As a side note:

Speaking as a Smith revolver nerd, that model designation makes me itch. The last two digits make you think it's a .44 Mag N-frame with some exotic new frame material other than stainless or Al/Sc alloy.

We can be friends again. The idea of putting 29 in the designation for a 9mm is a sin. 990 or 948 would have made more sense.

FotoTomas
12-27-2013, 01:41 PM
We can be friends again. The idea of putting 29 in the designation for a 9mm is a sin. 990 or 948 would have made more sense.

Another +1 but I would have preferred the 927 or 928 similar to my past 940. Of course if someone new to the game saw a 940 for sale on GB he/she might think of .40 caliber. This is getting too complicated. :)

66L
12-27-2013, 02:08 PM
(It's an obvious outgrowth of the .38 Super PC627s...)

All the more reason to call this a 627-whatever, the .38 Super was a -4 I believe. I don't understand this new designation either, and it's bothering me.

My only real concerns with this new model are price and bore diameter.

jetfire
12-27-2013, 02:12 PM
bore diameter.

I was wondering about that myself. I seem to recall some of the .38 Super PC guns coming with a bore diameter sized for .357 bullets and not the .355 bullets that the .38 Super shoots, leading to some rad accuracy issues.

LSP972
12-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Only if it actually works.

Having to eject cases with a mallet (or your ticket-writing pen) is a no-go in a real fight.

FIFY.

Yeah, another neat idea that didn't pan out. First year they were available, I saw a couple of dozen of them at in-service as BUG/off-duty iron. Each year, that number dwindled as their true nature became apparent to the troops. A buddy up at my old troop, a hard-core gun dude who knows what he is about, was the last hold-out. He finally gave up in 2004 or so.

Chuck Haggard
12-27-2013, 02:36 PM
FIFY.

Yeah, another neat idea that didn't pan out. First year they were available, I saw a couple of dozen of them at in-service as BUG/off-duty iron. Each year, that number dwindled as their true nature became apparent to the troops. A buddy up at my old troop, a hard-core gun dude who knows what he is about, was the last hold-out. He finally gave up in 2004 or so.

I tried everything to get mine running, and so did S&W, twice it went back to the factory. They eventually replaced the 940 with a new 640 for my trouble.

LHS
12-27-2013, 03:01 PM
As a side note:

This. I had a fleeting dream of a built-up .44 Mag designed to compete with the Rugers for heavy loads. Imagine my disappointment when I see this football bat.

Although, I do see the point when it comes to competition stuff.

JSGlock34
12-27-2013, 04:44 PM
I tired everything to get mine running, and so did S&W, twice it went back to the factory. They eventually replaced the 940 with a new 640 for my trouble.

Ugh! Well, you've cured my interest in a 9mm J Frame...Thanks for the insights.

Tamara
12-27-2013, 05:12 PM
I tired everything to get mine running, and so did S&W, twice it went back to the factory. They eventually replaced the 940 with a new 640 for my trouble.

What, sticky cases like a Model 53?

Chuck Haggard
12-27-2013, 05:35 PM
What, sticky cases like a Model 53?

Yes. With the cases moon clipped together sometimes they would stick enough that if you tried to palm the extractor rod hard you could injure yourself. I hit mine hard enough one time during a qual to put a hole in the side of my palm. When one has to have a stout barricade post on hand to beat the rod against several times in order to get the case unstuck it's a real problem.

I woulda figured that a tapered case with a nickel finish wouldn't stick like that. I figured wrong.

John Hearne
12-27-2013, 05:41 PM
I guess I'm just weird but I have zero expectation of reloading a J-frame in a fight. In my mind, the compelling use for a J-frame is as something that can be screwed into someone's side and fired until it goes click. If you don't have a second one, I think that expecting to reload one is the height of optimism.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

JHC
12-27-2013, 06:20 PM
I guess I'm just weird but I have zero expectation of reloading a J-frame in a fight. In my mind, the compelling use for a J-frame is as something that can be screwed into someone's side and fired until it goes click. If you don't have a second one, I think that expecting to reload one is the height of optimism.

OK but think how much it sucks just training with it? ;)

Chuck Haggard
12-27-2013, 06:30 PM

I picked up the 940 when we went to 9mms at work.

I tried going that route specifically due to ammo commonality. We are also required to qual on a 50 round course, duty, off duty, BUG, doesn't matter. Kind of slows down the process when a guy has to have a mallet on his belt to reload.

If all I was worried about was a 5 shot throw away gun in a fight then any caliber would do. In this case I was hoping the moon clip ammo would actually make the 940 viable. I found that two moon clips would stack in a single speedloader pouch for a .38/.357

LSP972
12-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Add to this the fact that the supplied moon clips were quite fragile; and once bent in the slightest, they were useless, as they would cause binding of the cylinder during the trigger stroke.

This was the main problem I recall. I do remember one that had the sticky extraction. Either problem, as Chuck noted, made qualifying with one difficult, or a total non-event.

PPGMD
12-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Is that comp legal for USPSA revolver?

Anyways I might get one simply because I want a revolver that I can shoot without having to stockpile another caliber.

jetfire
12-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Is that comp legal for USPSA revolver?

Anyways I might get one simply because I want a revolver that I can shoot without having to stockpile another caliber.

It's removable.

Tamara
12-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Add to this the fact that the supplied moon clips were quite fragile; and once bent in the slightest...

I've found the main cause of bent moons to be people removing the empties wrong.

jetfire
12-28-2013, 09:48 AM
I've found the main cause of bent moons to be people removing the empties wrong.

Fun fact: with .38 Special moons you have to make sure that your clips will fit the specific brand of brass. For example, TK Custom sells two or three different thicknesses of clips, one of which will only fit Starline brass.

LSP972
12-28-2013, 12:22 PM

Could be; I have never owned anything moon clip related, so I dunno.

Tamara
12-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Fun fact: with .38 Special moons you have to make sure that your clips will fit the specific brand of brass. For example, TK Custom sells two or three different thicknesses of clips, one of which will only fit Starline brass.

Yeah, 646's shipped with three each of two different thicknesses of .40 cal moons.

66L
12-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Yeah, 646's shipped with three each of two different thicknesses of .40 cal moons.

Do 9mm case rims suffer from different thicknesses like the .40 S&W, requiring different clips? I have hundreds of them for .45 ACP and have never had issues with mixed brass and mixed clips, but I have zero experience with other calibers and moonclips.

jetfire
12-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Do 9mm case rims suffer from different thicknesses like the .40 S&W, requiring different clips? I have hundreds of them for .45 ACP and have never had issues with mixed brass and mixed clips, but I have zero experience with other calibers and moonclips.

Looks like TK only sells one thickness of 9mm clip. I'd guess it probably won't be an issue then, but I could be wrong.