PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Mustang will have a turbo four cylinder

LittleLebowski
12-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Car and Driver link (http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-ford-mustang-photos-and-info-news)

jetfire
12-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Car and Driver link (http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-ford-mustang-photos-and-info-news)

A turbo 4 banger with 305 bhp is actually kind of cool...if it was in a car not named "Mustang."

Sigh, such is the way all of things, it seems. Turbo 4s and 6s replacing 8s, 8s replace V10s and V12s. All to save the polar bears. **** you, CAFE.

TR675
12-26-2013, 03:28 PM
The V6 and V8 are still options. Maybe not for long, but they're still there.

LittleLebowski
12-26-2013, 03:33 PM
This isn't the first time Ford's done this with the Mustang.

tremiles
12-26-2013, 03:56 PM
I haven't read the article, but a turbo 4 makes a lot of sense as a replacement for the base 6 banger depending on production costs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

BaiHu
12-26-2013, 04:02 PM
A turbo 4 banger with 305 bhp is actually kind of cool...if it was in a car not named "Mustang."

Sigh, such is the way all of things, it seems. Turbo 4s and 6s replacing 8s, 8s replace V10s and V12s. All to save the polar bears. **** you, CAFE.

Wow! You hate America and Starbucks :p

Tamara
12-26-2013, 04:23 PM

Dude, the Mustang SVO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustang_SVO) was cool.

What matters is the power. It doesn't matter how many or few cylinders, how big or small they are, or whether the car runs on gas, oil, or electrons.

If it'll light the tires, I'll huff the smoke. :cool:

TR675
12-26-2013, 04:34 PM

Yeah, but the last time they dropped a turbo four-banger, the V-8 of the day made less than half as many horses as the new four does...

And, to reiterate, the V-8 hasn't gone anywhere. So I don't understand why this is an issue. :confused:

Spr1
12-26-2013, 04:38 PM

What matters is the power. It doesn't matter how many or few cylinders, how big or small they are, or whether the car runs on gas, oil, or electrons.

If it'll light the tires, I'll huff the smoke. :cool:

The nerd in me agrees...... But, there is just something about the sound of a well tuned V-8.

NEPAKevin
12-26-2013, 04:42 PM

Years back, we had a wrecked Taurus SVO in the yard. Until the day we got rid of the thing, guys were pestering me to sell them the exhaust manifold?

Nephrology
12-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Pretty sure my RAV4 has the same engine, hahaha

LittleLebowski
12-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Pretty sure my RAV4 has the same engine, hahaha

My wife's RAV4 isn't too slow - 6.2 seconds to 60 but they don't put the Highlander's V6 in RAV4s any more.

Totem Polar
12-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Wow! You hate America and Starbucks :p

Heh!
------
The numbers from Ford's big turbo 4 are solidous maximus, for sure.

Still, anytime a four gets much above 2 liters, I wonder about thrash and vibration compared to 6 and 8 bangers.

That said, I currently pedal an older R53 mini S with less power and (probably) much less build quality, and it's more fun than a carbine class with someone else's ammo, so I bet the new 'stang comes out a winner in the seat-of-the-pants court.

Nephrology
12-26-2013, 05:38 PM
My wife's RAV4 isn't too slow - 6.2 seconds to 60 but they don't put the Highlander's V6 in RAV4s any more.

There were V6 models on the lot when I went shopping for mine but I found a better deal in a V4 sport model. The handling on the Sport was just too nice to believe, and the price was too good to turn down (18k for a CPO 2010 with ~25k on it)

Tamara
12-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Still, anytime a four gets much above 2 liters, I wonder about thrash and vibration compared to 6 and 8 bangers.

One of my favorite engines I've owned was Porsche's normally-aspirated 2-valve 2.5L tractor motor in my 924S. It was plenty smooth and still had a lot of bottom end for a four-banger. I know it's entirely subjective, but low-end response felt even better than the M52 in the Zed Drei.

Totem Polar
12-26-2013, 05:59 PM
I've driven that motor in a 944, so I know what you mean, Tam. Go through any motor mounts while you had it?

Tamara
12-26-2013, 06:03 PM
I've driven that motor in a 944, so I know what you mean, Tam. Go through any motor mounts while you had it?

Not that I recollect. It had an ate-up clutch damper when I got it, and I replaced the rubber factory unit with a conventional spring-damped aftermarket part.

SGT_Calle
12-26-2013, 06:07 PM
The nerd in me agrees...... But, there is just something about the sound of a well tuned V-8.

The nerd in me can't wait to hear the turbos spool and the blow off valve hiss, and just think of the aftermarket! It will be interesting.

Totem Polar
12-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Not that I recollect. It had an ate-up clutch damper when I got it, and I replaced the rubber factory unit with a conventional spring-damped aftermarket part.

Fun cars. The best in Ferris Bueller-era handling.

Tamara
12-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Fun cars. The best in Ferris Bueller-era handling.

Absolutely one of the most driver-friendly cars of the pre-black box voodoo era. I can't recollect ever cooking through a corner with that car without thinking "You know, I could have gone a little faster." :cool:

Probably the highlight of my driving life will always be a little bout of "YeeHaw!" I engaged in one morning right through Atlanta's Malfunction Junction with a Magnum P.I.-era smog motor 308. Too bad they didn't have Go-Pros back then; at least the one in my head still works. :D

Haraise
12-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Years back, we had a wrecked Taurus SVO in the yard. Until the day we got rid of the thing, guys were pestering me to sell them the exhaust manifold?

SHO, not SVO.

justintime
12-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Turbo 4banger ftw! Now if they can give it proper footwork and a decent set of brakes I might start getting excited about them.

Corvus
12-27-2013, 01:49 AM
The company I work for is building the cradles for the 2015 Mustang in Bowling Green , Ky. The current Mustang cradles come from Hopkinsville , Ky. and are a Mazda cradle that is shared with a soccer mom Mazda SUV.

NEPAKevin
12-27-2013, 11:22 AM
SHO, not SVO.

My memory sucks. I just recall guys crawling out of the wood work pretty much offering their first born for this Ford, four cylinder turbo manifold as from what I gathered, they were very hard to find used and expensive and indefinitely back ordered from the dealers. For me, some of the cool factor is lost when your sweet ride gets torn apart, and pushed into a corner of the shop while you go scavenging the junk yards looking for a miracle. Then again, I guess some people like that kitten.

Tamara
12-27-2013, 11:29 AM
My memory sucks. I just recall guys crawling out of the wood work pretty much offering their first born for this Ford, four cylinder turbo manifold...

Wait, was it a Mustang SVO or a Taurus SHO? The Mustang had the 2.3L intercooled turbo four and the Taurus had the Yamaha-built 24-valve V-6.

will_1400
12-27-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm trying to fathom the hate of a 4-cylinder engine when one of the better (if uncommon) sports car engines in recent history didn't even have cylinders. I'm referring to the rotary engine used in the Mazda RX-7/8 family.

NEPAKevin
12-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Wait, was it a Mustang SVO or a Taurus SHO? The Mustang had the 2.3L intercooled turbo four and the Taurus had the Yamaha-built 24-valve V-6.

And the light goes on. Point, totally invalid...mea culpa.

TCinVA
12-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Almost twenty years later, Ford has managed to reintroduce the Probe...

I'm not a huge Mustang guy apart from lusting after an Elanor and a GT350 fastback, so I don't have strong feelings one way or another on the new 'Stang.

The pictures I've seen look pretty good, the interior will probably be a bit better, and it will probably perform better than the existing Mustang...which is already a performance bargain. I've been sorely tempted to go out and buy a basic model Mustang GT with a third pedal and some of the go-fast suspension bits, but better judgment has won out so far.

I wonder about all these turbos they're throwing in motors these days. When turbos go wrong it gets rudely expensive, and there's quite a history of factory turbos going wrong in at least the first generations. My concern would be more on the long-term reliability question than anything else.

Of course, these days any new car you buy is going to have some untested technology. I bought one that has no traditional exhaust manifold, instead using the head to do the job of the exhaust manifold and the downpipe just hooks right into the head.

Anyhoo, given that the Mustang has the largest aftermarket of any vehicle on the planet I can only assume Ford did their design of the new car with that in mind and that the buyer will still have the option of turning their Mustang into anything from a precise, nimble autocrosser to a 9 second 1/4 mile car to a full-on drift machine. I don't think the new Mustang will be the New Coke of the lineup, or be as reviled 20 years from now as the Mustang II. It still looks very good and it will perform very well. It doesn't strike me as the great malaise car that the Mustang II was.

...which is interesting when you think about it. The conditions of the world are eerily similar to when the Mustang II was launched.

Tamara
12-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Almost twenty years later, Ford has managed to reintroduce the Probe...

Uh, other than the fact that the Probe was built on a FWD econobox platform and had between a third to half as much horsepower, okay.

The Mustang's always had small base motors; I don't see why everyone gets the vapors when this comes up. The original "Eleanor" was a '71 Mustang fastback. Base engine in that car was the 250c.i.d. "Thriftpower" straight six thumping out a boneshaking 98 SAE net horsepower.

(I had the same motor in my '75 Granada coupe. It wouldn't pull a greased string out of a cat's butt.)

The conditions of the world are eerily similar to when the Mustang II was launched.

You're spot on, there.

FOUR
12-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Pretty sure the 4 is so they can send it across the Atlantic and not get laughed off the continent.
I think it's the first time in a long time they've tried to export a mustang.

and this is how they kick off the marketing campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZJqyx6hQc

ford.304
12-27-2013, 01:55 PM
The pictures I've seen look pretty good, the interior will probably be a bit better, and it will probably perform better than the existing Mustang...

It has amazed me how crappy the interior is on the Mustangs. They're gorgeous on the outside, but I feel like the plastic shifter is going to break off in my hands.

Tamara
12-27-2013, 02:14 PM
It has amazed me how crappy the interior is on the Mustangs. They're gorgeous on the outside, but I feel like the plastic shifter is going to break off in my hands.

Mustangs deliver a ton of performance bang for the buck; they gotta cut the budget somewhere.

Tamara
12-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Pretty sure the 4 is so they can send it across the Atlantic and not get laughed off the continent.

I don't get it. Is that why Euro performance cars all use four cylinder engines?

Dagga Boy
12-27-2013, 02:30 PM
There was a time when the Merkur XR4Ti was something on my list of things I thought I needed, but I got over it. There are some vicious little Turbo 4's out there, but I have always liked them in little cars. I "V8" sized cars, using a set back high performance V6 just seems to be a better route to me.

Drang
12-27-2013, 03:11 PM
I think it's the first time in a long time they've tried to export a mustang.
Ask Jezza or Hamster...

Mustangs deliver a ton of performance bang for the buck; they gotta cut the budget somewhere.

TELL Jezza, Hamster, and Captain Slow.

jetfire
12-27-2013, 03:43 PM
TELL Jezza, Hamster, and Captain Slow.

The recent episode in Series 19 or 20 where Clarkson raced the GT500 Shelby against public transport was actually pretty good. He did an excellent job of acknowledging the good bits about the Mustang, while maintaining his disdainful air of European superiority. ;-)

BaiHu
12-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Jezza owns American muscle and seems almost Tea Party-ish compared to the rest of the UK.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Joe in PNG
12-27-2013, 04:59 PM
The recent episode in Series 19 or 20 where Clarkson raced the GT500 Shelby against public transport was actually pretty good. He did an excellent job of acknowledging the good bits about the Mustang, while maintaining his disdainful air of European superiority. ;-)

I would say "English superiority" instead.

ford.304
12-27-2013, 05:34 PM

Very true, and it doesn't surprise me on the base package so much. It just felt weird to see it in the $35,000 upgraded version, too.

They're great track cars. Felt too much like a boat for me personally, though. I mean, a speed boat, but still a boat.

FOUR
12-28-2013, 10:43 PM
I don't get it. Is that why Euro performance cars all use four cylinder engines?

two important bits there.
1) there's a tax based on displacement. not really important if you're already shelling out six figures for a V12 Vantage, but a mustang is supposed to be affordable performance.

2) The gas taxes are ludicrous over there. So the little four has some advantages if you're actually looking to drive around.

Tamara
12-28-2013, 11:56 PM
two important bits there.
1) there's a tax based on displacement.

The country of Europe taxes engines based on displacement?

(Englischers don't consider themselves European. The number of cylinders does not directly correlate with displacement. Member countries in the EU tax motors ten different ways from Sunday, only some of which involve displacement. Audis, BMWs, Citroens, Daimler, Etcetera all make >4 cylinder engines.)

BCL
12-29-2013, 12:40 AM
I wonder about all these turbos they're throwing in motors these days. When turbos go wrong it gets rudely expensive, and there's quite a history of factory turbos going wrong in at least the first generations. My concern would be more on the long-term reliability question than anything else.

Turbos have come along way in the reliability department...as has Ford in general. If they properly set up the motor, and the owners don't do stupid mods, they should be as reliable as the current V6's.

That being said, turbocharged cars do have certain procedures that should be followed, such as waiting until the motor is fully warmed up to beat on it, as well as letting it cool down for a couple of minutes afterwards so the oil doesn't boil itself into sludge.

Turbos are the wave of the future with the new gas mileage regulations. It really is the best way to get good power out of a car and not have to pay the gas guzzler tax.

This is why the current M5/M6, the upcoming M3, the new AMG Mercedes', and even F1 (next year) are using (relatively) small forced-induction motors.

justintime
12-29-2013, 01:36 AM
This thread makes me miss my na turbo Miata :(

Haraise
12-30-2013, 10:06 AM

http://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/insert-bs-here-4/56571d1349274134-ramble-kitty_1-jpg

lindertw
12-31-2013, 07:39 PM
...But, there is just something about the sound of a well tuned V-8.
yes!

The pictures I've seen look pretty good, the interior will probably be a bit better, and it will probably perform better than the existing Mustang...which is already a performance bargain. I've been sorely tempted to go out and buy a basic model Mustang GT with a third pedal and some of the go-fast suspension bits, but better judgment has won out so far.
watch for dealers looking to offload their 2014 stock when the 2015 hits the lot, but snag an auto instead of the 6spd manual (the auto is great, and does very, very well at the drag strip!).

...which is interesting when you think about it. The conditions of the world are eerily similar to when the Mustang II was launched.
bite your tongue

I was on the fence with all the renderings that were online, but the I really like the looks of the car and can't wait to see it in person. I'm not a fan of the independent rear suspension, but that can be swapped easily for drag racing purposes; in fact, FoMoCo may be offering a body-in-white version with solid rear axle (http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=1071) :cool:.

When I was in high school my dad had a 1988 Thunderbird turbo coupe (5spd manual) - man that car flew. The turbo version should do well, more so if they can lighten it up a bit. An ecoboost V6 would be a hoot...

my fav color (which may change once we can see them in person)
http://www.mustang6g.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/2015-GUARD2.jpg

justintime
12-31-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm estatic they are finally putting independent rear suspension in the mustang. If they adress the poor brakes this car will become a very nice track/daily

BigT
01-01-2014, 03:31 AM
FoMoCo will be building these in right hand drive. So this is the first time (afaik) that we will be able to buy a Mustang here that isn't a one off grey market imported converted to right hand drive. I'm guessing the four cylinder turbo will outsell the V8 by a very big margin here.

jetfire
01-01-2014, 12:57 PM
On the topic of turbo 4s vs v8, I own a Mopar special edition Charger which makes ~400 horsepower. I also own a Mini Cooper JCW that makes 200 hp and about the same torques. There are very few places where I can safely use all 400 ponies in the Charger. On the flip side, I can use all the available power in the Coop on a freeway on ramp. There's a part of me that would rather have a good car I can drive to its limits than a big powerful car that I can only max on a track.

Totem Polar
01-01-2014, 01:09 PM
On the topic of turbo 4s vs v8, I own a Mopar special edition Charger which makes ~400 horsepower. I also own a Mini Cooper JCW that makes 200 hp and about the same torques. There are very few places where I can safely use all 400 ponies in the Charger. On the flip side, I can use all the available power in the Coop on a freeway on ramp. There's a part of me that would rather have a good car I can drive to its limits than a big powerful car that I can only max on a track.
Can I get an "amen", brethren! I too pedal a Mini (original recipe R53 w/pulley) that sits in roughly the same class. it's far from the fastest car I've driven, but it's probably the most usable/accessible--on a daily basis--performer. Lots of glass to see what's coming, as well.

The concept you espouse goes exponentially for motorcycles, IMNSHO. Most that I've owned spent their lives lounging in the bottom end of their own performance reservoirs.

littlejerry
01-01-2014, 02:23 PM

I miss my 1.6NA non turbo. It was a ton of fun to wring out all 115 horsepower.

Part of the fun was the 2100lb curb weight, manual steering, and general unrefined nature.

I have a hard time getting excited about most newer cars. The new Stang is a looker. I'm hoping its not as boring a drive as most of the newer blue oval cars.

TGS
01-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Granted, I haven't looked at the Mustang in 4 years or so.....but did something happen since then to spawn all these comments about how great a track car it is?

Pretty sure that outside of straight 1/4 miles, the Mustang is arguably one of the worst track cars money can buy.

"Great" track cars includes the likes of the Porsche Cayman, BMW M3 or 1-series M, Mazda Miata, ZO6 'Vette, any variation of Lotus, ect.

jetfire
01-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Granted, I haven't looked at the Mustang in 4 years or so.....but did something happen since then to spawn all these comments about how great a track car it is?

Pretty sure that outside of straight 1/4 miles, the Mustang is arguably one of the worst track cars money can buy.

"Great" track cars includes the likes of the Porsche Cayman, BMW M3 or 1-series M, Mazda Miata, ZO6 'Vette, any variation of Lotus, ect.

The Boss 302 Laguna Seca beats an M3 around the track it's named for.

littlejerry
01-01-2014, 07:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

TGS
01-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Good to see that Ford has put more effort into the Mustang over the last few years. Pretty impressive.

justintime
01-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Can I get an "amen", brethren! I too pedal a Mini (original recipe R53 w/pulley) that sits in roughly the same class. it's far from the fastest car I've driven, but it's probably the most usable/accessible--on a daily basis--performer. Lots of glass to see what's coming, as well.

The concept you espouse goes exponentially for motorcycles, IMNSHO. Most that I've owned spent their lives lounging in the bottom end of their own performance reservoirs.

Yea I trash the limits of the Mini Cooper daily, and no one even notices lol. My turbo Miata was not that way