PDA

View Full Version : BBQ gun discussion

jlw
12-26-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm told they are going to the 147gr Gold Dot. Between this and the gun being a 9mm, and not a Sig which is the awesome because metal guns rock and plastic guns suck, the level of derp in the commentary on various stories I have read is off the charts.

Especially this being in Texas. Lots of people can write off the FBI because they are full of womenz and accountants and everybody knows they ain't real cops, but Troopers carrying 9mms in Texas? It's as though someone had advocated actually cutting their testicles off (except the womenz, it must be all their fault...).

I predict the whole "OMG stopping power!!!!" will prove to be complete BS, as we know, but that the first bad guy that doesn't explode into a fine mist when shot will be used as proof that this was all a commie plot and a generally bad idea.

They really should be carrying Peacemakers.

jlw
12-26-2013, 11:21 AM
That's just silly.

Engraved 1911s with scrimshawed grips. And hand tooled leather. Everybody knows that.

That is only for court or when properly prepared brisket is being served.

ffhounddog
12-26-2013, 11:27 AM

A Brisket/BBQ gun is always needed if you are a Texan.

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2013, 11:27 AM

See, that's when I think the SAA is needed. Lower threat matrix at a BBQ, especially since with everybody else carrying the odds of a guy needing to reload is very low.

jlw
12-26-2013, 11:29 AM
See, that's when I think the SAA is needed. Lower threat matrix at a BBQ, especially since with everybody else carrying the odds of a guy needing to reload is very low.

You're from Kansas and thus only qualified to talk about barbecue stuff when it involves pork and when in the vicinity of KCMO.

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2013, 11:33 AM
You're from Kansas and thus only qualified to talk about barbecue stuff when it involves pork and when in the vicinity of KCMO.

Them is in fact fightin words sir.

We grow lots and lots of cow around here, very, very few pigs.

In protest of your insults I shall walk right next door and have brisket for lunch since driving to GA is too much work just to slap you with a gauntlet sir.

jlw
12-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Them is in fact fightin words sir.

We grow lots and lots of cow around here, very, very few pigs.

In protest of your insults I shall walk right next door and have brisket for lunch since driving to GA is too much work just to slap you with a gauntlet sir.

The last time I was in Kansas and asked for some good beef critter, I was served a roast beef sammich from Arby's.

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2013, 11:37 AM
The last time I was in Kansas and asked for some good beef critter, I was served a roast beef sammich from Arby's.

You're doing it wrong.

jlw
12-26-2013, 11:39 AM
You're doing it wrong.

I thought that was self evident by asking for beef critter in Kansas...

texasaggie2005
12-26-2013, 11:49 AM

I wish.

Since we can't open carry, a BBQ gun is worthless hidden your pants.

ffhounddog
12-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Well we did in West Texas but that is West Texas.

JAD
12-26-2013, 01:02 PM

We can't help it if you hang out with a******s.

There's a place called 'Oklahoma Joe's' which is confusingly enough in Kansas. Next time you're in town, my treat.

LSP972
12-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I thought that was self evident by asking for beef critter in Kansas...

Hey... who can tell these days? Not long ago, nyeti was talking about going to a sushi place in Texas.

Of course, someone else pointed out that he was probably headed for a bait shop...;)

jlw
12-26-2013, 01:28 PM
We can't help it if you hang out with a******s.

There's a place called 'Oklahoma Joe's' which is confusingly enough in Kansas. Next time you're in town, my treat.

When I asked for beef critter in Kansas City, they served a nice steak, but that was on the Mizzou side of the river.

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2013, 01:32 PM
When I asked for beef critter in Kansas City, they served a nice steak, but that was on the Mizzou side of the river.

Your request was uneducated. You need to be more specific.

You walk into a bar and ask for "beer" you might get stuck with a PBR.

DocGKR
12-26-2013, 01:54 PM
My neighbors had BBQ tofu for Christmas dinner....does that count?

jlw
12-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Your request was uneducated. You need to be more specific.

I'm a teetotaler...

I'm quite educated on smoke and/or grilled critter.

Lester Polfus
12-26-2013, 02:17 PM
And in other news, the Texas DPS academy announced that with the next class, the schedule will include classes in interpretive dance and interior design....

:p

jlw
12-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Well now I'm at a critter joint, but I'm eating ribs...

Properly prepared ribs with dry rub and not drenched in sauce.

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2013, 03:05 PM

No, it most certainly does not.

Maple Syrup Actual
12-26-2013, 03:28 PM

That is a horrible thing to do, especially right now when families are gathered together for what ought to be a happy occasion. What kind of sicko would get their family together, under the pretext of a happy, seasonal gathering, at a time when people ordinarily celebrate Christmas and families and everything that is good and joyous about the year...and then inflict some kind of sick perversion like that on them?

That is seriously disturbing. I'm going to go hug my family, including my charcoal grill.

Thank god there wasn't a video. Some things just stay with you, and they'll haunt you when you try to sleep. This one would really F me up for a while.

Erik
12-26-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm going to go hug my family, including my charcoal grill.

http://jubchuqun.com/Journal/pictures/kungfu-branding.jpg

Let's be careful out there.

BLR
12-26-2013, 03:33 PM
That is a horrible thing to do, especially right now when families are gathered together for what ought to be a happy occasion. What kind of sicko would get their family together, under the pretext of a happy, seasonal gathering, at a time when people ordinarily celebrate Christmas and families and everything that is good and joyous about the year...and then inflict some kind of sick perversion like that on them?

That is seriously disturbing. I'm going to go hug my family, including my charcoal grill.

Thank god there wasn't a video. Some things just stay with you, and they'll haunt you when you try to sleep. This one would really F me up for a while.

I had some righteous smoked brisket in Toronto recently. And one or two Molson.

Good times. Good times.

RoyGBiv
12-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Hey now.!! PBR was Mothers Milk when i was a teen... And Schmidt's... And Black Label...
I shed a tear when they contracted production out to Strohs in '96. Let's not mention that ownership is now based in LA.
Local BBQ joint here served a "beer & bacon Bourbon"... Bacon infused bourbon with a 16oz PBR can back. http://zzrbikes.com/images/smilies/headbang.gif
Wrong = 0

Since we can't open carry, a BBQ gun is worthless hidden your pants.
If the BBQ is on private property... no problem.
Maybe I'll smoke some butt in the spring and have everyone over...
I can ask my neighbor to do a brisket so as not to offend the locals.
He taught me to cook a decent brisket, but he's not much of a shooter, unless JDAM's and Sidewinders count. :cool:

ffhounddog
12-26-2013, 04:06 PM
JDAMS always count just like horse shoes. Sidewinders of course count due to skill unlike Aim-120s.

SeriousStudent
12-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Hey now.!! PBR was Mothers Milk when i was a teen... And Schmidt's... And Black Label...
I shed a tear when they contracted production out to Strohs in '96. Let's not mention that ownership is now based in LA.
Local BBQ joint here served a "beer & bacon Bourbon"... Bacon infused bourbon with a 16oz PBR can back. http://zzrbikes.com/images/smilies/headbang.gif
Wrong = 0

If the BBQ is on private property... no problem.
Maybe I'll smoke some butt in the spring and have everyone over...
I can ask my neighbor to do a brisket so as not to offend the locals.
He taught me to cook a decent brisket, but he's not much of a shooter, unless JDAM's and Sidewinders count. :cool:

Indeed. And anyone found carrying something other than a pre-1980 Colt or S&W wheelgun gets put on punishment detail. Chores range from doing the dishes, to making the after-hours beer run to Oak Cliff.

And JDAM's always count.

Maple Syrup Actual
12-26-2013, 06:59 PM
I had some righteous smoked brisket in Toronto recently. And one or two Molson.

Good times. Good times.

Well, if you venture North again and then find yourself travelling West until you fall off the edge of the continent, back up one half step and let me know. We do multi-day beef smokes here and back it up with exotic beers and 100% rye grain whiskey...I could make it worth your while.

Dagga Boy
12-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Hey... who can tell these days? Not long ago, nyeti was talking about going to a sushi place in Texas.

Of course, someone else pointed out that he was probably headed for a bait shop...;)

No, it was El fricking Paso! I live in Dallas, sushi is not a big deal. Outstanding Sushi in El Paso is something else entirely. The best thing about Texas is that I can get real BBQ...smoked and usually beef and not pig covered in sauce.
BBQ guns are funny here. I hang with a bunch of rural area cops here. They wear small Cinco Peso badges and open carry with well worn custom leather and exposed pistols and white Stetsons. Their guns are well worn and not fancy. I usually have to go over to Jackson Armory to look at engraved Ranger guns.
I also see more 1911's in cop holsters here than anywhere else.

BLR
12-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Well, if you venture North again and then find yourself travelling West until you fall off the edge of the continent, back up one half step and let me know. We do multi-day beef smokes here and back it up with exotic beers and 100% rye grain whiskey...I could make it worth your while.

Vancouver? I love Vancouver!

Especially Indian candy! And smoked salmon!

Maple Syrup Actual
12-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Vancouver indeed...We just did Christmas dinner and the appetizers included about two pounds of organic, candied smoked salmon.

It was so, so edible.

LHS
12-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Vancouver indeed...We just did Christmas dinner and the appetizers included about two pounds of organic, candied smoked salmon.

It was so, so edible.

I have heard whispered tales of far Vancouver's limitless bounty of epic sushi.

Tamara
12-26-2013, 08:19 PM
1) Official TX BBQ Gun Guide (http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/03/court-guns-and-bbq-guns.html).

2) TX is wrong about BBQ. BBQ is pig. Y'all are wrong. We'll come out there and take Col. Crockett back if you don't get your hearts right with the BBQ.

Maple Syrup Actual
12-26-2013, 08:26 PM
I think that is a fair assessment. I regularly buy $30 Sashimi plates which feed my wife and I for a solid 24 hours.

Slabs of fresh caught wild coho, alternated with strips of fresh tuna seared on a hot river stone...beer served at 4 degrees below freezing.

This is the traditional "post beach day" ritual, carried out after a long swim and rest at an ocean beach with a famously attractive clientele and satisfyingly relaxed dress code.

Yes, there are reasons I stay here, despite the lousy gun laws and silicon valley real estate market.

will_1400
12-26-2013, 08:32 PM
JDAMS always count just like horse shoes. Sidewinders of course count due to skill unlike Aim-120s.

I assert that the M61A1 or GAU-8 count for more than either, being guns and all.

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2013, 08:33 PM
I think that is a fair assessment. I regularly buy $30 Sashimi plates which feed my wife and I for a solid 24 hours.

Slabs of fresh caught wild coho, alternated with strips of fresh tuna seared on a hot river stone...beer served at 4 degrees below freezing.

This is the traditional "post beach day" ritual, carried out after a long swim and rest at an ocean beach with a famously attractive clientele and satisfyingly relaxed dress code.

Yes, there are reasons I stay here, despite the lousy gun laws and silicon valley real estate market.

That might be worth checking my pistols at the border for.

Maple Syrup Actual
12-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Well, as long as you promise not to light up a vegan if they offer you a joint or a pair of birkenstocks, I have plenty of loaner pistols.

Although to be honest, these days you would be more likely to get propositioned by a yoga instructor.

SeriousStudent
12-26-2013, 08:44 PM
1) Official TX BBQ Gun Guide (http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/03/court-guns-and-bbq-guns.html).

2) TX is wrong about BBQ. BBQ is pig. Y'all are wrong. We'll come out there and take Col. Crockett back if you don't get your hearts right with the BBQ.

I would never, ever argue with Lawdog about anything. Period.

But I must demure about BBQ. Pig: It's what's for breakfast.

Dagga Boy
12-26-2013, 08:53 PM

Your standing as my favorite person on the internet is in jeopardy. Just because you drown a pig part in sauce that says "BBQ" don't make it so. You think Col. Crockett ate smoked and dry rubbed, or drowned in sauce?

LHS
12-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Your standing as my favorite person on the internet is in jeopardy. Just because you drown a pig part in sauce that says "BBQ" don't make it so. You think Col. Crockett ate smoked and dry rubbed, or drowned in sauce?

People, please, cease this senseless internecine bickering. There is room on the smoker rack for all of God's creatures.

Joe in PNG
12-26-2013, 09:39 PM
People, please, cease this senseless internecine bickering. There is room on the smoker rack for all of God's creatures.

Now, if we could only make a "COEXIST" bumper sticker using BBQ pork, beef, Jamacian Jerk, tandori, yakaitori, satay, churrascaria...

LOKNLOD
12-26-2013, 09:42 PM
BBQ is beef.

S Jenks
12-26-2013, 09:49 PM
And in other news, the Texas DPS academy announced that with the next class, the schedule will include classes in interpretive dance and interior design....

:p

You jest, by my brother is an E3 on a USCG cutter somewhere off Central America right now. His latest email detailed Christmas Yoga on the deck yesterday morning.

jlw
12-26-2013, 10:09 PM
That might be worth checking my pistols at the border for.

It's like we just don't know each other anymore...

PPGMD
12-26-2013, 11:26 PM

I've been lectured about things that I need as a Texan, but these lectures always come from someone that migrated to Texas.

But the list includes:
Cowboy Hat
Cowboy Boots
Skinny Cowboy Style Jeans

And now a BBQ gun.

Tamara
12-26-2013, 11:28 PM

Uh, false dichotomy.

Never had sauce served anywhere but on the side in any BBQ joint worth the name, from Jackson to Augusta... but they sure didn't put their dry rub on no cow.

Chuck Whitlock

That's probably why the good Colonel left, you heathen!! :p

Tamara
BBQ is beef.

You is wrong.

jlw
12-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Barbecue is a philosophy. It isn't a particular critter. Some critters just have a better understanding of the philosophy.

PPGMD
12-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Barbecue is a philosophy. It isn't a particular critter. Some critters just have a better understanding of the philosophy.

As long as it is good, BBQ is anything smoked that goes on my plate.

SeriousStudent
12-26-2013, 11:49 PM

Bless you, Chief, you are ever the peacemaker.

And I bet you own a Peacemaker, too. :)

Joe in PNG
12-26-2013, 11:53 PM
I'd go with a nice open top replica in .38, but I'm just weird.

Chuck Haggard
12-27-2013, 12:41 AM
It's like we just don't know each other anymore...

I'm really conflicted, and I did say "might".

Chuck Haggard
12-27-2013, 12:43 AM

Which is why when you go to a place of great historical and cultural significance, like Arthur Bryant's, you can get a variety of dead animals suitably smoked and BBQ'd.

jlw
12-27-2013, 01:07 AM
Which is why when you go to a place of great historical and cultural significance, like Arthur Bryant's, you can get a variety of dead animals suitably smoked and BBQ'd.

Or, I could just go out to my own driveway... (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1386-Lets-talk-bbq-grills!&p=22319&viewfull=1#post22319)

My fancy dress up shooting iron is a nickel S&W 22-4 with stained maple stocks.

KeeFus
12-27-2013, 06:37 AM
BBQ is beef.

BBQ is pork. I never knew beef was considered BBQ until I went through Amarillo on my way to White Sands, NM. I stopped at some road side "BBQ" joint only to find out it was brisket. It was good mind you, just not the BBQ I was accustomed too.

If y'all are ever in central NC you should really try Bill Ellis (from the squeal to the meal) BBQ or Parkers BBQ in Wilson, NC. It will be pork. It will be good. :cool:

Chefdog
12-27-2013, 08:14 AM

But, but, PBR cans are red, white and blue. 'Merica, f--k yeah!

Now, on to more pressing issues.

Lets get it straight, all factual like, so as not to offend anyone's regional affiliations.
BBQ is a TECHNIQUE. That technique is slow smoking of (traditionally) whole animals, or large cuts, over wood fires. Grilling steaks on your gas grill is most certainly NOT barbecue! Hot and fast over gas, should never be confused with the delicate, time intensive process of real barbecue. The most commonly agreed upon origin of American BBQ is from the low country of the Carolina's where whole hogs are slow smoked over wood fires in open pits. All other styles of BBQ came later, despite what many claim, and are adaptations of that original style based on the animals and materials people had to work with.

Sauces and rubs are irrelevant to the BBQ process, and do no more to turn a piece of meat into "BBQ" than mustard and sauerkraut make tube shaped meat a real hot dog. I like the western Carolina "Lexington" style sauce (vinegar based w/ a hint of tomato) for whole hog and shoulder, and the sweeter KC style sauces for spareribs (the only pork ribs worth eating). I find that properly cooked beef, whether brisket or beef ribs, doesn't really benefit from sauce. The one that I've been interested in lately in the Low Country mustard based sauces, which get their inspiration from German immigrants.

(Steps down off culinary soapbox)

That being said, I personally prefer the noble pig in all of its iterations, but am whole heartedly convinced that brisket is the hardest to do properly by a long shot. It's just the least forgiving of the commonly smoked cuts, and the one most often done poorly.

fixer
12-27-2013, 09:37 AM
This thread delivers.:D

RoyGBiv
12-27-2013, 01:20 PM

My pig does not require sauce of any kind. I serve it plain. You can have it pulled or chopped, even. I won't mind.
I offer a selection of sauces to my guests, from a Memphis-style rub to NC vinegar to the red pasty stuff. You can dress the pig any way you prefer. :cool:

Me? I like a good helping of slaw (the homemade, no mayo kind) and some Scott's sauce. Side of cornbread. (although I have a growing addiction for Corn Nuggets (http://www.chickene.com/sides.html) from Chicken Express.. I need to learn how to make those)

BBQ is Pig. Brisket can be great (so can beef ribs (http://www.coopersbbqfortworth.com/menu.html)), but they are "Smoked meat". YMMV.

http://imageshack.com/a/img405/270/shoulderke.jpg

Chefdog
12-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Nice looking bark on your butt there Roy :)

Yeah, I know, phrasing. But hey, he knows what I mean.

NEPAKevin
12-27-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't care what you call it, venison is pretty darn good with a spicy rub and smoked slow and low over apple wood. Bambi-Q?

Cookie Monster
12-27-2013, 02:10 PM
I dream of getting a proper smoker someday (could be another thread) and eating meat until my gun belt doesn't fit anymore but...

..what happened to the gun part of this thread?

Cookie Monster

PT Doc
12-27-2013, 02:51 PM
I dream of getting a proper smoker someday (could be another thread) and eating meat until my gun belt doesn't fit anymore but...

..what happened to the gun part of this thread?

Cookie Monster

Guns, bourbon/scotch, cigars, fast cars, bbq, and redheads can be mentioned at any time, in any thread, with no danger of drift.

Chefdog
12-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Guns, bourbon/scotch, cigars, fast cars, bbq, and REDHEADS can be mentioned at any time, in any thread, with no danger of drift.

^This is true wisdom. You're my new bestest Internet friend.

Drang
12-27-2013, 03:05 PM
I usually avoid threads regarding 9mm v .45, Glock v. 1911, Mac v PC, beans or no beans, anything having to do with barbecue aside maybe from "where can I get some good BBQ here?", and other religious topics, but I thought this excerpt Wikipedia (yeah, I know) might be relevant:

Most etymologists believe that barbecue derives from the word barabicu found in the language of the Taíno people of the Caribbean and the Timucua of Florida, and entered European languages in the form barbacoa. The word translates as "sacred fire pit."[1] The word describes a grill for cooking meat, consisting of a wooden platform resting on sticks.

Traditional barbacoa involves digging a hole in the ground and placing some meat (usually a whole goat) with a pot underneath it, so that the juices can make a hearty broth. It is then covered with maguey leaves and coal and set alight. The cooking process takes a few hours.

It has been suggested that both the word and cooking technique migrated out of the Caribbean and into other languages and cultures, with the word (barbacoa) moving from Caribbean dialects into Spanish, then Portuguese, French, and English. The Oxford English Dictionary cites the first recorded use of the word in the English language as a verb in 1661, in Edmund Hickeringill's Jamaca Viewed: "Some are slain, And their flesh forthwith Barbacu'd and eat." It also appears as a verb in the published writings of John Lederer, following his travels in the American southeast in 1672.[2] The first known use of the word as a noun was in 1697 by the British buccaneer William Dampier. In his New Voyage Round the World, Dampier writes: And lay there all night, upon our Borbecu's, or frames of Sticks, raised about 3-foot (0.91 m) from the Ground.
The earliest woodcuts depicting barbecue seem to involve an alligator as guest of honor...

JodyH
12-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Big Green Egg
pork butt
Czechvar Czech lager
Chromed, ivory gripped, Colt .38 super
El Paso Saddlery floral cut leather rig
Forty-two, thirty-nine, fifty-six redhead

/thread

RoyGBiv
12-27-2013, 03:24 PM
http://texaschlforum.com/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

JodyH
12-27-2013, 03:53 PM
http://texaschlforum.com/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif
Weighing in at nineteen stone, you could say she's got it all.

TR675
12-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Weighing in at nineteen stone, you could say she's got it all.

Sounds like a whole lotta woman.

JDM
12-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Sounds like a whole lotta woman.

Rosie, to be specific.

DamonL
12-27-2013, 08:41 PM
If y'all are ever in central NC you should really try Bill Ellis (from the squeal to the meal) BBQ or Parkers BBQ in Wilson, NC. It will be pork. It will be good. :cool:

I have been to both and the BBQ is very tasty. Vinegar-based sauce on the smoke pork. Delicious! The fried chicken ain't bad, either.

Guinnessman
12-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Big Green Egg
pork butt
Czechvar Czech lager
Chromed, ivory gripped, Colt .38 super
El Paso Saddlery floral cut leather rig

/thread

The Big Green Egg is the only way to cook! We just seared some steaks tonight and they were wonderful as always. It is so easy to control the temperature with the egg and it is very versatile. It is the one grill that does it all.........kind of like a Glock 19. :cool:

Palmguy
12-28-2013, 08:23 AM
I don't care what you call it, venison is pretty darn good with a spicy rub and smoked slow and low over apple wood. Bambi-Q?

Bambi-Q....I like it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

John Hearne
12-28-2013, 09:37 AM

You don't have to drop a lot of coin to get a decent smoker. I rocked a Brinkman Electric for a number of years and it did good work as long as the ambient temperature wasn't too high or too low.

I recently upgraded to a gas smoker for less than $200 and love it. I went with the two-door Master Built from Bass Pro as I can tend to it without releasing all of the stored heat. The snobs will look down on such a lowly device but it does great work. I brought mine with me for Christmas and knocked out 25 lbs of butt for the holidays.

http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-Two-Door-Propane-Smoker/product/10226688/

If you want to jump start your BBQ cooking knowledge, try amazingribs.com. The site has a ton of information and I enjoy his scientific explanations of the cooking process. The only thing "wrong" with his site is his dry rub recipe aka Memphis Dust. I prefer his earlier recipe.

JAD
12-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Where I live, smoking meat at home would be like mining coal in a Newcastle back yard.

SeriousStudent
12-28-2013, 10:42 AM
..... I went with the two-door Master Built from Bass Pro as I can tend to it without releasing all of the stored heat. The snobs will look down on such a lowly device but it does great work. ......

John, a bunch of the folks I work with bought those, and they also do very well with them. Cabelas and Wally World carry those models as well.

So now we have guys at work trading "recipes" for wood chips, and bringing in gallon ziplock bags of "custom mixes".

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying yours, and thanks for the tip on the website.

Chefdog
12-28-2013, 11:06 AM
FWIW:
For those on a tighter budget, like myself, you can produce some delicious 'cue on your good old Weber kettle. It just takes the understanding of indirect vs. direct heat and a little more fastidious monitoring of your temp and wood. The other obvious limitation is the size of the meat you're smoking. The good news is that for most pieces of meat (at least ones that will fit on a weber) after 3-4 hrs it's taken all the smoke it needs, and can be finished in your oven at an ideal temperature to get it just right. Of course, ill be called a heretic for suggesting this method, but I'm a pragmatist who happens to have a weber, and an oven :) YMMV, etc.
End result is that I can produce ribs and butts that are damn delicious and better than most of the BBQ joint around my neck of the woods.

Damn, I'm hungry now.

Guinnessman
12-28-2013, 11:24 AM
My first smoker was a $30 Wal-Mart special that I used to cut my teeth on. It was a green Coleman upright smoker, and it worked like a champ. Temperature control was a chore, especially with extreme heat or cold, but patience and a 6 pack of beer worked every time.

jlw
12-28-2013, 11:35 AM
FWIW:
For those on a tighter budget, like myself, you can produce some delicious 'cue on your good old Weber kettle. It just takes the understanding of indirect vs. direct heat and a little more fastidious monitoring of your temp and wood. The other obvious limitation is the size of the meat you're smoking. The good news is that for most pieces of meat (at least ones that will fit on a weber) after 3-4 hrs it's taken all the smoke it needs, and can be finished in your oven at an ideal temperature to get it just right. Of course, ill be called a heretic for suggesting this method, but I'm a pragmatist who happens to have a weber, and an oven :) YMMV, etc.
End result is that I can produce ribs and butts that are damn delicious and better than most of the BBQ joint around my neck of the woods.

Damn, I'm hungry now.

I have a Big Green Egg; however, I use my Weber much more often, and if I were making the decision again today, I'd buy one of the 30" kettles instead of a BGE.

John Hearne
12-28-2013, 11:45 AM

That's my problem, I am now a meat snob. Anywhere I eat BBQ has to be at least half as good as what I can do myself.

The smaller batches, the lack of need to keep the meat on a hot line, and customized recipes make for some incredibly moist and flavorful meat. At the risk of arrogance, I have never had ribs in a restaurant that were 25% as good as what I can do.

I also don't believe in subtlety of taste. I don't want my pork delicately kissed by the hickory smoke. I want the smoke to tie the pork up and work it like a high dollar dominatrix and make the pork it's bitch in a way that the pork can't walk straight for a week.

I believe that the meat should have enough flavor that sauce is likely an insult to the meat or at most, something added sparingly to bring out the existing flavors.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

JodyH
12-28-2013, 11:54 AM
I also don't believe in subtlety of taste. I don't want my pork delicately kissed by the hickory smoke. I want the smoke to tie the pork up and work it like a high dollar dominatrix and make the pork it's bitch in a way that the pork can't walk straight for a week.
I want to party with you.

jlw
12-28-2013, 12:00 PM
That's my problem, I am now a meat snob. Anywhere I eat BBQ has to be at least half as good as what I can do myself.

The smaller batches, the lack of need to keep the meat on a hot line, and customized recipes make for some incredibly moist and flavorful meat. At the risk of arrogance, I have never had ribs in a restaurant that were 25% as good as what I can do.

I believe that the meat should have enough flavor that sauce is likely an insult to the meat or at most, something added sparingly to bring out the existing flavors.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

That is an issue with barbecue. Somebody at home (or competitively) with a grill or smoker can turn out good product, but the challenge of a barbecue joint is having it ready whenever the customer walks through the door. The prep time involved makes it rather difficult, and too many people who dazzle their friends with good barbecue get talked into opening a barbecue restaurant and they just can't make it work.

KeeFus
12-28-2013, 12:01 PM

First thought: I will never look at BBQ again w/o thinking about it being a dirty ho'.

Second thought: Party @ John's!!!

Casual Friday
12-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Idea: For those arguing beef vs pork for BBQ, let's settle this. Those arguing each side can form a team and compete in the first annual PF BBQ challenge. It will take place at my house, and all PF members are invited. I have plenty of room for campers, fifth wheels, or tents. Heck, someone can even get real Gary Busey and enter a chicken into the mix.

I will provide the meat, but it will be BYOBG(bring your own bbq gun).

Drang
12-28-2013, 02:03 PM
We also have, and love, a Big Green Egg, but
FWIW:
those on a tighter budget,...
...should ask their internet search engine of choice to seek out "Alton Brown Cardboard Smoker" or "Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker."

Chefdog
12-28-2013, 02:29 PM
That is an issue with barbecue. Somebody at home (or competitively) with a grill or smoker can turn out good product, but the challenge of a barbecue joint is having it ready whenever the customer walks through the door. The prep time involved makes it rather difficult, and too many people who dazzle their friends with good barbecue get talked into opening a barbecue restaurant and they just can't make it work.

"too many people who dazzle their friends with good barbecue get talked into opening a barbecue restaurant and they just can't make it work"
^THIS x 10 bajillion. People don't understand that running a successful restaurant has very little to do with cooking. It's a very specialized business with incredibly tight margins, tons of overhead, and a sky-high failure rate.

But, I have to disagree with some of your other statements. For a competent Chef/restauranteur, the logistics and management of the typical BBQ joint are incredibly simple compared to most a la carte restaurants. I won't bore everyone with specifics, but the requirements on every level, even held to a very high standard, are just not comparable to even a "nice" neighborhood bistro. A major problem owners face in a BBQ joint is greed. You have to be disciplined enough to only make what you KNOW you can sell that day, close the door when it's gone and start over fresh tomorrow. We've all nuked some leftover pulled pork as a midnight snack, but who'd be willing to pay for it again? The COG is high when dealing with quality meat, and the urge to resell leftovers is high, but it'll burn you quickly because people won't come back for mediocre reheated BBQ. A properly managed BBQ joint, run by a smart owner who has high standards and the ability to see 10 years down the road vs. trying to milk everything he can RIGHT NOW, is an absolute gold mine.

jlw
12-28-2013, 02:55 PM
"too many people who dazzle their friends with good barbecue get talked into opening a barbecue restaurant and they just can't make it work"
^THIS x 10 bajillion. People don't understand that running a successful restaurant has very little to do with cooking. It's a very specialized business with incredibly tight margins, tons of overhead, and a sky-high failure rate.

But, I have to disagree with some of your other statements. For a competent Chef/restauranteur, the logistics and management of the typical BBQ joint are incredibly simple compared to most a la carte restaurants. I won't bore everyone with specifics, but the requirements on every level, even held to a very high standard, are just not comparable to even a "nice" neighborhood bistro. A major problem owners face in a BBQ joint is greed. You have to be disciplined enough to only make what you KNOW you can sell that day, close the door when it's gone and start over fresh tomorrow. We've all nuked some leftover pulled pork as a midnight snack, but who'd be willing to pay for it again? The COG is high when dealing with quality meat, and the urge to resell leftovers is high, but it'll burn you quickly because people won't come back for mediocre reheated BBQ. A properly managed BBQ joint, run by a smart owner who has high standards and the ability to see 10 years down the road vs. trying to milk everything he can RIGHT NOW, is an absolute gold mine.

Competence is the issue. Too many backyard/competition guys give running a joint a shot but don't survive long enough to learn how to do it right.

Chefdog
12-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Competence is the issue. Too many backyard/competition guys give running a joint a shot but don't survive long enough to learn how to do it right.

Sí señor. That about sums it up.

Maple Syrup Actual
12-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Idea: For those arguing beef vs pork for BBQ, let's settle this. Those arguing each side can form a team and compete in the first annual PF BBQ challenge. It will take place at my house, and all PF members are invited. I have plenty of room for campers, fifth wheels, or tents. Heck, someone can even get real Gary Busey and enter a chicken into the mix.

I will provide the meat, but it will be BYOBG(bring your own bbq gun).

Okay, I will preface this statement with the caveat that for the second straight day, I'm posting from inside a sauna, and I'm fairly drunk and probably dehydrated. Also my wife is roasting a turducken right now. And she just showed up with a spoonful of walnut-tart cherry stuffing for me to taste. So I'm currently prepared to make pretty f'ing questionable decisions.

But this is the best idea I have ever seen. If this is a go, I will require an official invitation so I can sort out the ATF Form 6 and show up with a barbecue gun.

Depmur
12-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Thought I would get us back on topic and throw a BBQ pistol and revolver in the mix... My vote is for Brisket but I agree pork is easier to do.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/29/y2a5a5aj.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dagga Boy
12-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Now that is what I am talking about!

Drang
12-28-2013, 09:16 PM
But this is the best idea I have ever seen. If this is a go, I will require an official invitation so I can sort out the ATF Form 6 and show up with a barbecue gun.

Wouldn't that be a poutine gun?

Chefdog
12-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Depmur,
That's definitely what comes to mind when "BBQ gun" is mentioned.
Love 'em.

LHS
12-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Thought I would get us back on topic and throw a BBQ pistol and revolver in the mix... My vote is for Brisket but I agree pork is easier to do.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/29/y2a5a5aj.jpg

That's awesome. When I hear 'BBQ gun', I think tastefully engraved, ivory-stocked DA wheelguns (generally N-frames, but L-frames or the occasional really choice K-frame will work), SA wheelguns (generally a Colt SAA, but a tasteful Bowen Custom Ruger or even a nicely engraved Schofield), or 1911 (with some really nice Turnbull bluing), riding in a tooled leather rig.

justintime
12-29-2013, 10:08 PM
my grandpa claims so long as it isn't chicken then its bbq, I on the other hand do not discriminate :o