PDA

View Full Version : Home defense gun different than what you CC?

Sasage
12-26-2013, 11:26 AM
I currently have a G26 and a Shield 9mm for when I need something more slim. I also have a P226 9mm with a light mounted on it that stays in the safe.

My questions being, do you guys carry different than what you use at home defense aka "night stand gun"?

Do you add a light to whatever you carry when you get home (if your carry does not already have a light)?

My thinking being is to either stay in the realm of striker fire and focus time, money and training with that platform rather than being proficient in both DA/SA and striker fired.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Nate

jon volk
12-26-2013, 11:29 AM
My carry gun/holster sit on my nightstand at night with my everyday flashlight next to it.

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Carry a G17 at work. We are not authorized to carry lights on our duty pistols.

Often carry a G19 off duty.

Nightstand gun is a G17 with a light mounted and +2 base pad on the mag. 20 rounds before slide lock, light stays on it. Pretty good package IMHO.

JodyH
12-26-2013, 11:37 AM
I like having a WML on my house gun and I don't like taking it on and off all the time so my nightstand gun is usually different than my CCW.
Here lately it's a P2000SK for CCW and a USP9 with a TLR3 on the nightstand.
Both have LEM triggers and Trijicon HD night sights.

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2013, 11:38 AM
I like having a WML on my house gun and I don't like taking it on and off all the time so my nightstand gun is usually different than my CCW.

^This^

jlw
12-26-2013, 11:42 AM
I typically carry a Glock, but that is only because the Remmy 870 is hard to conceal...

Frank R
12-26-2013, 11:52 AM
My CCW is a Shield 9mm and sometimes an LCR 38.

For HD it's a M&P45 4" w/nightsights.

Cookie Monster
12-26-2013, 11:52 AM
My carry is a G26 or G17 depending on the situation. The nightstand gun is a G34 or a G17 with a x300 depending on which one I got set-up for dry practice. I think I will follow Chuck's lead and add a magazine extension.

I've got a Surefire handheld light identical to my EDC with the nightstand gun. Very few situations needing light needs to be muzzled as well.

Sometimes you just got to run with what you got, it might not be optimal, put you can start walking towards optimal. For handguns I have one platform with all the same sights. The mag and slide releases vary on the guns but I am not going to get compulsive about it.

The home defense gun is an AR with an X300 Ultra - those mo-fo's are tight on a picitinny rail, took me like two hours and a loss of man pride to get that thing installed.

Cheers,

Cookie Monster

LorenzoS
12-26-2013, 02:00 PM
With my limited time available for training, a consistent manual of arms is important to me. I have a P30 with an X300 for home defense and a P2000SK for carry. Both are LEM trigger. My humble suggestion is to decide whether you prefer the Glock, M&P or Sig platform and go from there.

Tamara
12-26-2013, 02:13 PM
"Home defense gun" means a couple different things for me...

I put on and take off my CCW gun with my clothes. If I've got shoes and jeans on, I'm wearing a pistol with a light and laser.

There's a handgun I can reach easily from in bed. Call me paranoid, but it doesn't take many friends waking up with an intruder actually in their bed to make this seem a reasonable idea. It's a 2" K-frame Smith .38, so that I've got a full K-frame grip in my hand while the other person only has a 2" barrel to grab; it's a revolver because it seems like if there's one circumstance where contact shots might be an issue, that'd be it; it's a .38 and not a Magnum so that I don't set myself on fire; and it's steel-framed so that it can be used to go all Joe Pesci and beat the bad guy to a paste in a pinch.

If I get out of bed, I can access my CCW pistol while deciding whether the situation warrants going to fetch a carbine or not.

DocGKR
12-26-2013, 02:51 PM
I have a CCW pistol with me at all times, an identical training pistol, and a third identical spare pistol that has an X300 on it in a lock box at home.

SGT_Calle
12-26-2013, 03:38 PM
The home defense gun is an AR with an X300 Ultra - those mo-fo's are tight on a picitinny rail, took me like two hours and a loss of man pride to get that thing installed.

I busted up my knuckles more than once trying to get my dang x300u on and off my AR.

ToddG
12-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Presently my approach is similar to []jon volk[/i]'s: My holstered EDC/CCW/EIEIO gun goes on my nightstand with a light that functions the same as the flashlight I carry in my pocket every day. I like having an extra step between "touch gun" and "discharge gun" especially if I'm potentially going to be reaching for the gun in the middle of the night when I'm half asleep and trying to figure out why the dog is barking or the alarm is going off.

I absolutely appreciate the idea behind mounting a WML to the bedside gun. I've seriously thought about using a mountless Safariland ALS body as an overnight platform for putting the WML on my pistol.

BillP
12-26-2013, 05:15 PM

I put on and take off my CCW gun with my clothes. If I've got shoes and jeans on, I'm wearing a pistol with a light and laser.

There's a handgun I can reach easily from in bed. Call me paranoid, but it doesn't take many friends waking up with an intruder actually in their bed to make this seem a reasonable idea. It's a 2" K-frame Smith .38, so that I've got a full K-frame grip in my hand while the other person only has a 2" barrel to grab; it's a revolver because it seems like if there's one circumstance where contact shots might be an issue, that'd be it; it's a .38 and not a Magnum so that I don't set myself on fire; and it's steel-framed so that it can be used to go all Joe Pesci and beat the bad guy to a paste in a pinch.

If I get out of bed, I can access my CCW pistol while deciding whether the situation warrants going to fetch a carbine or not.

Tamara,
This is an interesting analysis and selection. I like where your head's at.
---
I do similar to Todd and Mr. Volk. My carry for that day goes in the holster on the nightstand with a light handy. My wife's task is to scoot to the walk in closet for the G19/X300 in a lockbox and call 911.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Nephrology
12-26-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm with the herd on this one. This time of year, I usually am carrying my G19 + TLR1 in an Raven OWB that comes off my body and goes onto my nightstand with my pocket light right next to it. I also usually keep my safe open (it's in my bedroom) with my 870 +TLR1 on cruiser ready a quick grab away.

Sometimes when the situation dictates I carry a smaller gun AIWB (usually a G26 or a J frame). The 19 is my bedside gun either way. I have also toyed with the idea of leaving my J frame out naked on the night stand along side the Glock because I am not as worried about discharging the ~10lb double action revolver trigger accidentally. Not completely decided on it really.

Lost River
12-26-2013, 06:22 PM
I carry a G19 on my own time 90+% of the time. Sometimes to mix it up I carry one of my old 1911s. In the wintertime and during hunting season, I often carry a 4 or 5" Model 29 .44 mag.

As far as the nightstand goes, there is always a Glock 21 .45 with a weapons light handy. That being said, most nights I will have whatever I was carrying during the day too, so that could mean Glock 19 to .44 Magnum.

The wife, who is not an avid shooter, has 3 different .38 specials accessible, located on the main floor of the house. We keep it simple for her, just point and shoot and repeat as necessary.

I geared HD towards the lowest common denominator (training wise), figuring I can handle any issues with a 4" .38 that we are likely to encounter at our home. Makes more sense than "hoping" she could handle a custom 1911 or Glock during a crisis.

jkurtz7
12-26-2013, 08:01 PM
My Beretta Vertec gets nightstand duty with a Surefire X300 attached. I also carry this gun sans light occasionally.

WDW
12-26-2013, 08:20 PM
I carry a Gen 4 G23 & my nightstand gun is an identical G23 w/a Glock GTL 21 (light/laser) on it & a 22rd Glock magazine. I know Glock lights aren't the best, but this gun never leaves the bed & this light has always proven reliable & is set up in a configuration that works for me.

SeriousStudent
12-26-2013, 08:47 PM

Nightstand gun is a G17 with a light mounted and +2 base pad on the mag. 20 rounds before slide lock, light stays on it. Pretty good package IMHO.

Carbon copy of that package here, and a very old Surefire 6P beside it. Upgraded with a Malkoff LED, and one of those spiffy RCS belt clip doodads.

Kyle Reese
12-26-2013, 09:26 PM
My carry gun/holster sit on my nightstand at night with my everyday flashlight next to it.

Same here.

S Jenks
12-26-2013, 09:33 PM
I carry my issued pistol, a Glock 23 with Trijicon HDs, everywhere. The nightstand gun is an otherwise identical Glock 19 with TLR-1 in a Safariland ALS. I also try to minimize the fumbling required to add/remove the light and as my G23 is about 13 years old, it isn't trusted with a WML.

Next to the holstered G19 is a big old Maglite, a Surefire 6P and my issued portable radio.

For those with reinforced entryways, a house key with a glow stick on a ring might be a good idea for responding PD. Snap it and toss out the window when they show up.

wmu12071
12-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Lately my carry gun is Glock 17 RTF2 when I go to bed the shaggy stays in my pants. The 17 then gets a TLR-1 and it sits in a raven holster with my micro stream next to it. I have been considering a switch to Sig but my current P226 doesn't have a rail and I can't make myself run a gun all the time with out my "nightlight" for fear of the monsters under my bed.

oldtexan
12-26-2013, 10:46 PM
My primary HD guns are 5.56mm ARs, all with mounted X300 lights, and all close at hand, with empty chambers and loaded mags; handheld lights and Peltor 7s ears are close at hand as well. I have several G34s and a G17 with Surefire X200a/X200b and DG-11 switches in nightstands and home office to back up the ARs. I have Raven Phantoms to accommodate the 34/Surefire light combos in case I need to carry a handgun with a light. For most of last year year I worked with a pair of 18" 870s for about 2500 rds to determine if they should replace my ARs as primary HD guns, but concluded that for me the ARs are better.

My primary carry guns are G19s, which don't have lights mounted because I'm almost never outside the house after dark; I carry a Surefire light when I'm away from home, just in case. Have a subcompact 9mm pistol in my strongside pocket most of the time while at home. The missus prefers revolvers as both carry and HD guns, and hers (a 686 Plus 3" with Dawson front night sight and a 649-5 with Crimson Trace LG-305s, both loaded with CorBon 110 .38 +P DPX) are in her nightstand when she's at home.

SeriousStudent
12-26-2013, 11:48 PM

For those with reinforced entryways, a house key with a glow stick on a ring might be a good idea for responding PD. Snap it and toss out the window when they show up.

I have one of those as well. It's a good idea to make sure all the doors are keyed the same if you do. I know a few people that have a different key for the front and back door.

I also put a tag with the house number on it on that key ring with the chem light, just in case I hurl that bad boy out into the street.

And a solar-powered LED light that illuminates the house number, and so on and so forth.....

john556
12-27-2013, 12:44 AM
Presently my approach is similar to []jon volk[/i]'s: My holstered EDC/CCW/EIEIO gun goes on my nightstand with a light that functions the same as the flashlight I carry in my pocket every day. I like having an extra step between "touch gun" and "discharge gun" especially if I'm potentially going to be reaching for the gun in the middle of the night when I'm half asleep and trying to figure out why the dog is barking or the alarm is going off.

I absolutely appreciate the idea behind mounting a WML to the bedside gun. I've seriously thought about using a mountless Safariland ALS body as an overnight platform for putting the WML on my pistol.

I'm not big on having unholstered pistols around. A safariland als for wml is a good idea, but I actually prefer the crye gunclip in this role. Only available for glocks, but they'll make one for 1911s when crimson trace comes out with the p30 lasergrips, nlt comes out with the m&p sirt, ameriglo makes cap sights for the p30 and the gadget is for sale.

I think tamara's setup is the best simply because theres the chance of bashing an intruder in the face with a handfull of american steel.

Savage Hands
12-27-2013, 01:35 AM
My main carry is a G19.
My "bedside" gun is a G17 with an X300U in a Gunvault since I have a 3 year old, but I'm also considering a mounted ALS. I also have a Surefire LX2 with a lanyard since I prefer to not use the WML on my son.

DBLAction454
12-27-2013, 01:39 AM
I carry what I shoot and nightstand gun is the same.

Currently I carry either a HK45 or USP45. They both so similar I can run the both with the same speed and accuracy. HK45 is more comfortable USP45 has +2 capacity over the HK45

TheTrevor
12-27-2013, 03:49 AM
Kind of hard to CCW a Weatherby SA-459 shotty with +2 magazine extension and a Fenix PD35 in Elzetta mount.

JAD
12-27-2013, 07:21 AM
I'm recently on the fence. Normally, the gun I carry goes in a biometric just outside the master bedroom (it was in the nightstand, but the kid jacked with it too much). I am pondering putting a light and laser on the G17, which I have decided is a little too portly for carry, in that location and ungunning at a downstairs safe at night.

jlw
12-27-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm shocked at the number of learned souls here that are referencing handguns along with home defense.

JAD
12-27-2013, 08:48 AM
It fills me with shame. Securing a long gun is tough in toddler town, though.

ffhounddog
12-27-2013, 09:01 AM
I have a Beretta 90-2 with a Insight WX150 in a 3085 on a batbelt. Boxers and a bat belt with two reloads, boo boo pouch and a surefire G2 Xeon as a backup makes for a scarey guy running in the house.

Tamara
12-27-2013, 09:09 AM
I'm shocked at the number of learned souls here that are referencing handguns along with home defense.

Walking around with a carbine got old after a while. Believe me, if I have time to go fetch the long gun, I will.

WDW
12-27-2013, 09:15 AM

I have a cruiser ready 590 under the bed that I'll grab if I think I have time, but if someone busts into my bedroom, I'm grabbing the pistol w/WML that's C1 & 6 inches from my face first.

5pins
12-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Generally I carry my G19 gen 2 and have my G19 gen 3 with a light and loaded G17 mag as my nightstand gun. Depending on my attire I may carry the gen 3.

ToddG
12-27-2013, 09:57 AM

I'm drastically better trained with the handgun. I'm significantly more mobile with the handgun. The home defense gun is very secure during the daytime because it's on my belt.The longest shot I could possibly take from inside my house is 15yd, and from outside i'd be hard pressed to find a 50yd shot before getting blocked by another row of townhomes, trees, or embankments. Where I live, the "black rifle stigma" could be a real factor in court.

I don't walk out the door in the morning feeling confident about my pistol only to have that confidence crushed when I get back home each evening.

Savage Hands
12-27-2013, 10:21 AM

With a 3 year old I need a free hand, when my family is in the proper place I'll also grab my carbine.

trailrunner
12-27-2013, 10:56 AM

My bedroom is in a corner of the house, away from the doors. If someone enters through one of the three doors to our house, my wife and I have secure positions in our room (her on the floor behind the bed with the cell phone, me on the other side of the bed with a G17 and a clear view of the door) until LEO arrives. I live in an suburban area, 1.5 miles from the closest substation, and 1 mile from the 7-11 where most of the police hang out waiting for something to happen. Until they arrive, if someone comes through the bedroom door, I have a clear 8 foot shot from my defensive position. I'm comfortable with a pistol in that scenario.

Savage Hands
12-27-2013, 11:09 AM
The last post reminded me to post that the Sheriff's department in my small town in 3/4 of a mile away as well driving, I can see their station from my home across the field.

JodyH
12-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Winchester 1300 is on hooks above my closet door, loaded with 12ga. #00.
Investigating unknown bumps and noises inside the house is much easier with a handgun and wml.
If I'm heading towards a known confrontation and I have the time to grab it, I'd much rather have the shotgun in my hands.

JAD
12-27-2013, 01:07 PM
I live in an suburban area, 1.5 miles from the closest substation, and 1 mile from the 7-11 where most of the police hang out waiting for something to happen. Until they arrive, if someone comes through the bedroom door, I have a clear 8 foot shot from my defensive position. I'm comfortable with a pistol in that scenario.
Help me with the logic (not an attack, I'm just not following). How does probable range and response time mitigate the difference in effectiveness between a handgun and a long gun? Is it me, or are there parallels between this line of thought and the '.380 is ok because it's just a belly gun' thinking?

jlw
12-27-2013, 03:30 PM
When I was a rookie, a feller said to me, "You carry that handgun because it is handy. If you are going to a gun fight, take a real gun." He later followed that up with, "00 Buck is the fastest eight rounds you can fire." His next along the trail was rather impressive.

If somebody comes into my home with evil in their heart, I am not going to give them a chance by relying upon the ballistic inadequacies of a handgun round unless that is my only option.

Savage Hands
12-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Everybody has different requirements and needs when it comes to home defense. I'll stick with my Glock 17 X300U and 23 rounds of 147gr HST as my primary with a hand held surefire until my family is secured behind me. I prefer having an easily accessible handgun that is secured from my 3 year old than grabbing my not as accessible AR15 that is twice the distance and effort to access and moves me two more rooms away from both my Son's room and the stairs leading to 2nd floor. If I didn't have a kid than having an AR in the corner wouldn't be a problem. Knowing that anyone who broke in had to climb about 16 stairs with no cover or concealment to get to the bedrooms gives us a huge advantage.

trailrunner
12-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Help me with the logic (not an attack, I'm just not following). How does probable range and response time mitigate the difference in effectiveness between a handgun and a long gun? Is it me, or are there parallels between this line of thought and the '.380 is ok because it's just a belly gun' thinking?

Fair point, and it got me thinking. I brought up the short response time because the situation for me should be purely defensive. If I have to shoot, I will know where it will happen, I know it will be short range, and I will probably know when it will happen if I hear him approaching down the hall. So in this situation, I thought that a full size pistol is good enough. The point you were making (I think) is that why settle for good enough when there is something better? I guess what tips the scales for me (which I didn't mention in my post) is that my 870 is harder to secure.

TheTrevor
12-27-2013, 04:56 PM
To those who say that the need to secure weapons against inquisitive toddlers precludes use of a long gun for home defense, I say that there are ways to make it work.

Option 1: Handgun and long gun tucked away in corner next to bed

Sentry Safe HDC11E Home Defense Center 2.1 Cubic Feet
http://amzn.com/B0075JO1AO

Option 2: Secure storage under bed

American Security Defense Vault
http://amzn.com/B0063263R8

ArmyCop
12-27-2013, 05:17 PM
My day carry varies between my S&W Model 60 Pro and my S&W Model 640-1 but
Usually after my shower because of the shorter barrel - my 640 will be in my home shorts front pocket and later on my nightstand.

Savage Hands
12-27-2013, 05:34 PM
In my case that still does not give me a free hand to open and close the doors, or pick up my kid and carry him back to our room while being able to use my wml and or shoot if need be. Securing is one part of the equation but a long gun works best with two hands. Also I will position my handgun muzzle up while moving between rooms to keep from sweeping anyone. Why not have my Wife grab my son while I cover her? I'm the light sleeper and I'd probably react faster than her, be out of bed armed on my way to my son before she knew what was going on.

jlw
12-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Slings. They're like holsters for long guns...

Lester Polfus
12-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Prior to June of this year, we lived in a 1100 square foot apartment in the suburbs.

I have a Glock 17, which always wore a WML, and a Glock 19. The Glock 17 pretty much always stayed home, except when I was backpacking, and I always carried the Glock 19. These were both kept hot in a keypad safe in bedroom closet. I had a cruiser ready shotgun in a stand up locker, with the expectation most in-home encounters would be too fast and furious to ever access it.

One lesson learned: the only spare magazines I keep loaded are Glock 17 magazines. I reached this epiphany after returning home from backpacking and realizing I had been carrying a Glock 17 on a week log backpacking with a spare Glock 19 magazine. Now the only G19 mag with ammo in it is kept in the gun.

In June we moved into a 2400 square foot house, on 6 acres of land. My northern boundary is hundreds of acres of private timber land, which we are free to roam and we are one mile from the national forest. I work from home, and only go to town once a week, for work which is a hard NPE.

I find now that when I carry, I'm woodsbumming and it's usually open, or just "covered up" and not concealed. So I took to carrying the G17 in a OWB thumbreak. Because I was always taking the light on and off, I just put the light on the G19, and stuck it in the keypad pistol safe in my upstairs bedroom. So now it's actually the "house gun." This gun also fits my wife's hands better.

Also upstairs in a wall locker is a Mossberg 590 with a WML. Our bedroom is as the top of a stairwell which makes a wonderful fatal funnel.

The G17 lives downstairs in a locker in my office, as does a Mossberg 500 with a 20" bbl and a WML.

I have a 19" rifled cantilever scope mount barrel for the 500 with a 1.5 to 6 varible scope on it. I've considered leaving that setup in the safe, with a WML as my "outside" gun. I'm going to play with that concept some more this summer. I have 6 acres but it's wooded so the farthest you can see is about 50 to 70 yards. I think one ounce slugs might be nice for this.

I'm evolving our equipment and tactics since the move. We essentially live at a secondary crime scene. It could easily take a sheriff's deputy 20 minutes to get here, and because of how my property is arranged, that deputy will probably wait at the bottom of the driveway for the second deputy, and I won't blame them.

I have an old set of IIIA Second Chance body armor and have actually considered getting an armor carrier with MOLLE racking, so I could put a pistol holster, long gun ammo, a blow out kit etc, on it. This was something I found myself wanting as I snooped and pooped the quarter mile through the woods to my neighbor's property to see why their house alarm was going off.

We have the throw-able house key attached to a photon microlight, but it's the same idea.

Our best tactical investment has been the German Shepherd Dog we just rescued in November. He's had some issues but his training is going well.

There's quite a bit more gray area here, and since it's been a while since I lived out in the stix, I'd forgotten that. In town, threats inside the house would get shot, alot. Suspicious activity outside the house was the purview of the cops, with their 3 minute response time. Here it's fuzzier. I would have never dreamed of gunning up to see why a house alarm was going off in town, for example. I greet strangers at the house politely, but with a gun handy.

Tamara
12-27-2013, 08:08 PM

So you've got the gun slung and the kid under one arm and then Joe Dirtbag rounds the corner from the dining room. Now what?

(And I'm still not gonna carry a slung carbine around all day. Dude comes crashing through the window right now, I'm gonna pop him with the gun on my belt and not worry that it's shy a shoulder stock. ;) )

Lester Polfus
12-27-2013, 08:23 PM
So you've got the gun slung and the kid under one arm and then Joe Dirtbag rounds the corner from the dining room. Now what?

(And I'm still not gonna carry a slung carbine around all day. Dude comes crashing through the window right now, I'm gonna pop him with the gun on my belt and not worry that it's shy a shoulder stock. ;) )

Yes. If something kicks off unexpectedly in my house RIGHT NOW. I'll feel like I'm doing well to get a short gun with a WML in my hand. If I have to get into AMIS, pick up a kid, drag an injured family member, etc, a Glock with a bunch of 9mm bullets seems like the right choice.

If I have TIME, and I'm going to defend our redoubt from the top of the stairs,with everybody friendly behind me, it's shotgun time, and downstairs is a free fire zone.

jlw
12-27-2013, 08:28 PM

One handed operation of the shotgun, seriously. If that isn't feasible transition to the complimentary weapon, but if I'm fighting with a handgun I was either ambushed or was somewhere I didn't have an appropriate long gun.

gtmtnbiker98
12-27-2013, 08:37 PM
My HD pistol is a P229R .40 with TLR-1s mounted by my bed in a GunVault. I also have kids, one being a 7-year old with firearm interest. The P229R's only mission is bedside. Why .40? It was my duty weapon that I bought back and couldn't beat the price. I also have one of my P30 V1 9mm pistols in a GunVault mounted in the kitchen.

DBLAction454
12-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Prior to June of this year, we lived in a 1100 square foot apartment in the suburbs.

I have a Glock 17, which always wore a WML, and a Glock 19. The Glock 17 pretty much always stayed home, except when I was backpacking, and I always carried the Glock 19. These were both kept hot in a keypad safe in bedroom closet. I had a cruiser ready shotgun in a stand up locker, with the expectation most in-home encounters would be too fast and furious to ever access it.

One lesson learned: the only spare magazines I keep loaded are Glock 17 magazines. I reached this epiphany after returning home from backpacking and realizing I had been carrying a Glock 17 on a week log backpacking with a spare Glock 19 magazine. Now the only G19 mag with ammo in it is kept in the gun.

In June we moved into a 2400 square foot house, on 6 acres of land. My northern boundary is hundreds of acres of private timber land, which we are free to roam and we are one mile from the national forest. I work from home, and only go to town once a week, for work which is a hard NPE.

I find now that when I carry, I'm woodsbumming and it's usually open, or just "covered up" and not concealed. So I took to carrying the G17 in a OWB thumbreak. Because I was always taking the light on and off, I just put the light on the G19, and stuck it in the keypad pistol safe in my upstairs bedroom. So now it's actually the "house gun." This gun also fits my wife's hands better.

Also upstairs in a wall locker is a Mossberg 590 with a WML. Our bedroom is as the top of a stairwell which makes a wonderful fatal funnel.

The G17 lives downstairs in a locker in my office, as does a Mossberg 500 with a 20" bbl and a WML.

I have a 19" rifled cantilever scope mount barrel for the 500 with a 1.5 to 6 varible scope on it. I've considered leaving that setup in the safe, with a WML as my "outside" gun. I'm going to play with that concept some more this summer. I have 6 acres but it's wooded so the farthest you can see is about 50 to 70 yards. I think one ounce slugs might be nice for this.

I'm evolving our equipment and tactics since the move. We essentially live at a secondary crime scene. It could easily take a sheriff's deputy 20 minutes to get here, and because of how my property is arranged, that deputy will probably wait at the bottom of the driveway for the second deputy, and I won't blame them.

I have an old set of IIIA Second Chance body armor and have actually considered getting an armor carrier with MOLLE racking, so I could put a pistol holster, long gun ammo, a blow out kit etc, on it. This was something I found myself wanting as I snooped and pooped the quarter mile through the woods to my neighbor's property to see why their house alarm was going off.

We have the throw-able house key attached to a photon microlight, but it's the same idea.

Our best tactical investment has been the German Shepherd Dog we just rescued in November. He's had some issues but his training is going well.

There's quite a bit more gray area here, and since it's been a while since I lived out in the stix, I'd forgotten that. In town, threats inside the house would get shot, alot. Suspicious activity outside the house was the purview of the cops, with their 3 minute response time. Here it's fuzzier. I would have never dreamed of gunning up to see why a house alarm was going off in town, for example. I greet strangers at the house politely, but with a gun handy.

This reminds me of someone....

*Cough* Gecko45 *cough*

Savage Hands
12-27-2013, 09:52 PM

SMH... Do what works for you, I'll do the same.

Yes. If something kicks off unexpectedly in my house RIGHT NOW. I'll feel like I'm doing well to get a short gun with a WML in my hand. If I have to get into AMIS, pick up a kid, drag injured family member, etc, a Glock with a bunch of 9mm bullets seems like the right choice.

If I have TIME, and I'm going to defend our redoubt from the top of the stairs,with everybody friendly behind me, it's shotgun time, and downstairs is a free fire zone.

This... And as Todd said, I'm much more trained with my handguns vs. my carbine.

jlw
12-27-2013, 09:59 PM
For you folks saying that you would go to a handgun as the primary due to lack of training on a carbine or shotgun... maybe you should devote training time to the shotgun and/or carbine.

Savage Hands
12-27-2013, 10:02 PM
For you folks saying that you would go to a handgun as the primary due to lack of training on a carbine or shotgun... maybe you should devote training time to the shotgun and/or carbine.

The point is still over your head.

jlw
12-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Since it's unlikely that any parent will loan me a toddler for a demonstration, I'll use VolGrad. He's not much taller than a toddler. :cool::cool::cool:

The point is still over your head.

Nope.

ffhounddog
12-27-2013, 10:42 PM
JLW,

For me it is not lack of training on a carbine and for my wife not lack of training on a shotgun we both run our issued long guns well. Pistols are just more compact and can lead to more flexibility in our opinion.

I would like to know your reasons why we should keep a carbine or shotgun close by to see if we should re evaluate our reasoning.

ffh

TheTrevor
12-27-2013, 10:55 PM

I'll second jlw's point, and note that carbine/shotgun skills are substantially less perishable than handgun skills. It's not like you have to engage in a whole second full-on training/gear track to maintain reasonable proficiency with carbine and/or shotgun. As long as I get in some live fire every month or three, and some professional instruction every year or two, I do just fine. (This excludes high-speed gamer skills like quad-loads and so forth.)

Regarding the tactical issues of managing a terrified, screaming, and possibly thrashing small person with my left arm... I have established to a high level of comfort that I can run a light-equipped carbine or shotgun for effect at social distances while restraining a small person or dragging a larger one.

In the extremely unlikely event that I run the carbine or shotgun dry while still facing active opposition, THEN I'll transition to my handgun. I figure the only time I'll reload my big gun is if I'm defending a set position (e.g. the top of the stairs) and a family member can throw me my chest rig full of loaded mags & velcro-backed shell strips.

TheTrevor
12-27-2013, 11:07 PM
I would like to know your reasons why we should keep a carbine or shotgun close by to see if we should re evaluate our reasoning.

I'm not jlw but I'll share my reasoning: carbine and shotgun fire is more effective, more quickly, than pistol fire. An assailant who gets shot with a service-caliber handgun may or may not immediately notice that they've been damaged. If that same assailant takes center-mass hits from one or two 00 buckshot loads, or 3-5 60gr/3000fps carbine rounds in quick succession, they're going to KNOW they've been shot.

It's absolutely possible to stop an opponent with a pistol, but stopping that same opponent is more certain and likely faster with a carbine or shotgun.

Lester Polfus
12-27-2013, 11:07 PM
This reminds me of someone....

*Cough* Gecko45 *cough*

I'd really appreciate it if you'd explain why that is.

Eli
12-27-2013, 11:43 PM
My carry gun is a chopped 17 wearing an Inforce APL. It does go on my nightstand when I go to bed, but my "HD" gun is an AR wearing a 200 lumen Surefire and an Aimpoint M68. I don't have micro-people in the house to worry about, so the carbine hangs in the closet when I leave and gets propped up next to my bed at night.

If something goes down during the day and I'm not in the bedroom then I always have SOMETHING in my waistband. If I'm still in regular clothes (otherwise known as happiness robbing, soul sucking, suffocating, people wraps) then it will be dealt with with the 17, if I'm in my fat guy shorts, I'll have a 19 in a Don Hume 715 clipped to my elastic/drawstring waistband.

Sorta along the same lines....I used to rotate between carrying a 9mm Glock of some sort and a Smith M&P45, always being a fan of simplicity I started carry my spare mag in a single HSGI TACO. Imagine my embarrassment when at the end of one fine Tuesday I took the Glock 19 off of my right hip and my M&P45 magazine off of my left. :o

I no longer have the M&P45, my 17 has been chopped to accept 19 mags, and I never carry my 34......like I said, I'm a fan of simplicity. :cool:

Tamara
12-27-2013, 11:56 PM
One handed operation of the shotgun, seriously. If that isn't feasible transition to the complimentary weapon, but if I'm fighting with a handgun I was either ambushed or was somewhere I didn't have an appropriate long gun.

Okay, like right now, as a f'rinstance...

I'm in the home office, where I spend a good chunk of my waking hours. There's a pistol on my belt because, duh, I'm wearing clothes, but there's no long gun in the room because there's just really no handy place to keep one. There is a carbine and an 870...

...hang on...

...okay, I just measured them as being six regular steps from where I'm sitting, behind a closed door.

They're easily accessible (and about the same distance from my bed; this isn't a big house) but unless the noises coming from the front door are of the "zomg someone's trying to kick it down" variety, I'm not going to acquire a carbine and strap into the MS3 every time some Jehovah's Witness wants to drop off this month's Watchtower.

If there's breaking glass or the sounds of someone making a determined assault at the front or back door? Then I'm going to have a pistol in my hand for only the six steps it takes me to get to a long gun.

If this makes me woefully unprepared, well, that's life in the big city.

jlw
12-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Okay, like right now, as a f'rinstance...

I'm in the home office, where I spend a good chunk of my waking hours. There's a pistol on my belt because, duh, I'm wearing clothes, but there's no long gun in the room because there's just really no handy place to keep one. There is a carbine and an 870...

...hang on...

...okay, I just measured them as being six regular steps from where I'm sitting, behind a closed door.

They're easily accessible (and about the same distance from my bed; this isn't a big house) but unless the noises coming from the front door are of the "zomg someone's trying to kick it down" variety, I'm not going to acquire a carbine and strap into the MS3 every time some Jehovah's Witness wants to drop off this month's Watchtower.

If there's breaking glass or the sounds of someone making a determined assault at the front or back door? Then I'm going to have a pistol in my hand for only the six steps it takes me to get to a long gun.

If this makes me woefully unprepared, well, that's life in the big city.

So you are agreeing with me.

Note that earlier I quipped about "carrying handguns because they are handy".

ToddG
12-28-2013, 01:25 AM
You know what amazes me? That this has become a "if you don't do/think exactly like me then you're doing it wrong" thread.

If you feel like the only way you'll survive the night is with a BFG by your bedside then rock on. That doesn't invalidate other people's equally thought out reasons for doing otherwise. Don't mistake your solution as everyone's solution.

Chuck Haggard
12-28-2013, 01:47 AM
I plan on countering a home invasion DB style, buck nekid, grabbing my Viking helmet and shotgun from beside the nightstand, and giving a war cry as I launch.

If the rest of you ain't planning the same then you just don't understand OODA

Joe in PNG
12-28-2013, 02:30 AM
I need a WML for my bushknife. Sadly, daily carry gun vs. carbine is not an issue for me here, as (none of the above) is what I'm stuck with.

However, when I'm back in the free states, I usually keep the AR bedside, in case the coyotes come for the critters.

Palmguy
12-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Carry guns are Shields and G19s. I've got a couple of holsters set up within arms reach attached to my bed to accommodate a G34+light and a G17+light/CT. They are concealed from ordinary view.

In the past, I've had my 870 and a rifle in the closet right next to my bed; however we are moving next month into a house with a different layout so I need to reevaluate that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

LSP552
12-28-2013, 10:00 AM
It's just the wife and I at home, kids and grandkids live 5 hours away in Houston. So at this moment, there is a P226R with light sitting naked on my dresser within reach from my bed. There is a spare mag next next to it.

I don't generally carry that gun. I have another 226, 228, 225 or 239 available for that. Mostly, now that I'm old and retired, the 239 get the most use. There is always a pistol within reach at home. I don't always carry on my person at 10:00PM watching the news in my underwear, but no one can make entry into my house and cut me off from a roscoe.

I find the Eagle Industries law enforcement stye fanny pack ideal for keeping a pistol close in the house. It's what I slip over my chest when taking out the garbage. It lets me keep pistol, extra mag, and light in one grab and use package.

Don't get me wrong, there is a CAR-15 with light and Aimpoint under the bed, but I figure on not having time to get that out. If I do, thats great.

The wife appropriated my old 3" 65, loaded with .38+Ps, for her side of the bed.

Ken

Tamara
12-28-2013, 10:02 AM
You know what amazes me? That this has become a "if you don't do/think exactly like me then you're doing it wrong" thread.

Dude, do you even internet? :p

Casual Friday
12-28-2013, 10:09 AM
I have an AR, so does my wife and they are a part of our home defense aresenal, but like others have pointed out, securing them with mini versions of ourselves running around makes them less accessible. Right now, I'm in cargo shorts with my handgun on my belt. My AR is on the other side of the house. If glass were to shatter or a door frame was turned into splinters right now and I have to light up a skinny coming through the window or door, then he/she is getting a whole bunch of 124 grain +p Gold Dots. If it's nighttime, then my AR is just as accessible and what I will grab while my wife grabs a handgun. I also have the option to go full jlw on them with an 870 and buckshot. Because shotgun clack clack. Options....I like having them. For us, there is no bestest home defense gun, just different ones that serve different purposes in different situations.

jlw
12-28-2013, 11:13 AM

If you feel like the only way you'll survive the night is with a BFG by your bedside then rock on. That doesn't invalidate other people's equally thought out reasons for doing otherwise. Don't mistake your solution as everyone's solution.

I see people exchanging ideas. If you are reading it otherwise you are taking the comments personally and that is not how they were intended. I apologize to you and anyone else for impression. I really was incredulous and hoped my comments would spark a discussion. For some it did.

ToddG
12-28-2013, 11:30 AM
I see people exchanging ideas. If you are reading it otherwise you are taking the comments personally and that is not how they were intended. I apologize to you and anyone else for impression. I really was incredulous and hoped my comments would spark a discussion. For some it did.

It's the "I really was incredulous" part that I picked up on the most. :cool: No worries...

jlw
12-28-2013, 11:33 AM
It's the "I really was incredulous" part that I picked up on the most. :cool: No worries...

I'm also incredulous that people buy regular Oreos when there are Double Stuf Oreos on the shelf right next to them.

jon volk
12-28-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm also incredulous that people buy regular Oreos when there are Double Stuf Oreos on the shelf right next to them.

I am incredibly incredulous that people buy Oreos when Trader Joes offers the far superior Joe Joes's

ToddG
12-28-2013, 11:36 AM

Yeah, you definitely want extra sugary toothpaste between your two pieces of chocolate-colored cardboard. Yuck.

Sometimes I just don't get you, man.

:cool:

fixer
12-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Home Defense gun set up is nothing special: 92A1 with light, Glock 17 ( for her). I have a small apartment. Speed is essential in arming myself.

jlw
12-28-2013, 11:38 AM
I am incredibly incredulous that people buy Oreos when Trader Joes offers the far superior Joe Joes's

Well now I have a mission...

Chuck Haggard
12-28-2013, 11:49 AM
To steal a quote from Pat Rogers "The mission drives the gear train".

While a long gun is in almost all circumstances a superior fighting tool, sometimes the limitations of being, well, long, make it a secondary choice.

Chief, have you actually tried maneuvering through a house carrying a small child (even a simulated one) and a long gun?

gtmtnbiker98
12-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Yeah, you definitely want extra sugary toothpaste between your two pieces of chocolate-colored cardboard. Yuck.

Sometimes I just don't get you, man.

Simply un-American.

Malamute
12-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Regular Oreos, Chips Ahoy, or Pepperidge Farms Mint Milanos. In milk.

Same short gun as I would carry out and about, with more long guns around than I could carry at one time. Extremely rural, 6' board fence, noisy dog when anyone comes around, vid camera with portable monitor to see the yard and driveway. Its generally at the gate to the yard that I meet anyone coming around. Always have a pistol on or in pocket if not properly dressed at the moment.

jlw
12-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Chief, have you actually tried maneuvering through a house carrying a small child (even a simulated one) and a long gun?

Does a neurotic terrier count?

Lester Polfus
12-28-2013, 01:50 PM

I think that's close enough.

One thing that strikes me is that often these choices are driven by how we imagine an incident will go. I feel like it's easy to get stuck on one particular scenario and prepare for that.

I think one of the driving issues is TIME.

It takes me 12 to 15 seconds to get to my pistol safe and get a hot G19 with a WML in my hand. If my first clue that something is amiss is somebody in my bedroom, that gun is useless to me. I've accepted that because I can't accept unsecured firearms in my home.

If I hear my front door being kicked in, I might have enough time to wake up, realize what's going on, arm myself with a pistol and post at the top of the stairs, while my wife gets the shotgun and phone.

Last summer when I had a dilapidated pickup with a cab full of homo sapiens scrotus come up my 1/4 mile driveway backwards, because that's the only way to make a quick getaway from my driveway, I had time to grab a shotgun.

Etc, etc, etc....

So I think our 'home defense plan" might best include a tiered response. If I can't get to a pistol, i fight empty hand or with whatever is laying around. If I can get to a pistol I get to a pistol. If I have time to get to the shotgun, I get to the shotgun etc.

I think I've helped this thread drift from the original posters intent, and for that I apologize. But I have been retooling my plans based on our new locations, so mall ninja snark aside, this discussion has been valuable

Erik
12-28-2013, 02:15 PM

A really smart one, maybe.

DanH
12-28-2013, 02:28 PM
I plan on countering a home invasion DB style, buck nekid, grabbing my Viking helmet and shotgun from beside the nightstand, and giving a war cry as I launch.

If the rest of you ain't planning the same then you just don't understand OODA

As funny as it is, this is almost exactly the situation that resulted in my first shotgun acquisition :p
I awakened one morning to the sounds of my front door being kicked in and when the guy got it open he found a 300 lb guy standing there, in his underwear, with a very large...baseball bat.
I totally wish I'd had a Viking helmet. It's the only way I could have traumatized him more.

Greg Bell
12-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Definitely. I carry a J-frame but my beside the bed gun is a .40 M&P with an X300. I am an attorney so it isn't practical for me to carry a combat autoloader at all times--plus I am old and lazy. The J-frame is obviously a huge compromise, but obviously having 5 .38 gold dots beats trying to use the Jedi mind trick on people. On the other hand, when I am home, I don't see why I shouldn't have as many bullets/biggest bullets on hand as possible. I keep my pistol in a quick-release safe on my nigthtstand under my glasses. I also keep two spare mags. Everything else stays in the safe.

UNK
12-28-2013, 03:59 PM
As funny as it is, this is almost exactly the situation that resulted in my first shotgun acquisition :p
I awakened one morning to the sounds of my front door being kicked in and when the guy got it open he found a 300 lb guy standing there, in his underwear, with a very large...baseball bat.
I totally wish I'd had a Viking helmet. It's the only way I could have traumatized him more.

This is friggin hilarious...my first line of defense is a Malinois, cause she'll be at the door (or window) waiting..she actually hears footsteps outside of the house... before I'm fully awake.

Lester Polfus
12-28-2013, 04:08 PM
This is friggin hilarious...my first line of defense is a Malinois, cause she'll be at the door (or window) waiting..she actually hears footsteps outside of the house... before I'm fully awake.

I know right? If I had to choose between only owning a gun, and only owning a GSD, I'd be hard pressed to decide...

To further thread drift:

What kind of training have you done with your Malinois? We are still working basic obedience and manners with our GSD, and I'm trying to figure out where to go from there. I didn't do anything special with my last GSD, and he evolved into a pretty good watch dog, and excellent family companion.

TheTrevor
12-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Well now I have a mission...

Whatever you do, don't try the candy-cane flavored ones. Those things must be made with Satan's tears. Serving size: one box.

TheTrevor
12-28-2013, 04:31 PM

Too bad you didn't have time to strip off the excess clothing.

Corvus
12-28-2013, 04:33 PM
I keep a long gun handy at home and in my vehicle.

Tamara
12-28-2013, 05:42 PM
I don't walk out the door in the morning feeling confident about my pistol only to have that confidence crushed when I get back home each evening.

You know, I was driving my roommate to her mom's place for Christmas festivities today and this post suddenly broke off the bottom of the pond and bubbled to the surface again.

I really am curious as to your answer, even though it sounds like I'm ribbing you, because I think it's an interesting avenue of discussion. To wit:

So, this "feeling of confidence" thing... Does this mean you'll be taking the "revolver" side in future threads of that nature?

I mean, yeah, I'm confident in my pistol, but I'm even more confident in my carbine or shotgun. Isn't the capability/capacity/confidence argument the same one that we use to prioritize a high capacity pistol over a low capacity one, or a self-loader over a revolver?

Savage Hands
12-28-2013, 05:46 PM
You know, I was driving my roommate to her mom's place for Christmas festivities today and this post suddenly broke off the bottom of the pond and bubbled to the surface again.

I really am curious as to your answer, even though it sounds like I'm ribbing you, because I think it's an interesting avenue of discussion. To wit:

So, this "feeling of confidence" thing... Does this mean you'll be taking the "revolver" side in future threads of that nature?

I mean, yeah, I'm confident in my pistol, but I'm even more confident in my carbine or shotgun. Isn't the capability/capacity/confidence argument the same one that we use to prioritize a high capacity pistol over a low capacity one, or a self-loader over a revolver?

http://cdn.weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dis-gon-b-gud-chair-gif.gif

UNK
12-28-2013, 06:08 PM
I know right? If I had to choose between only owning a gun, and only owning a GSD, I'd be hard pressed to decide...

To further thread drift:

What kind of training have you done with your Malinois? We are still working basic obedience and manners with our GSD, and I'm trying to figure out where to go from there. I didn't do anything special with my last GSD, and he evolved into a pretty good watch dog, and excellent family companion.

shes fully trained for catch and release :)

ToddG
12-28-2013, 07:42 PM

I'm not sure how you jumped to capability = capacity or confidence = capacity.

The point, which perhaps I failed to make clear, is that all the silliness about handguns being anemic and useless late at night in the home doesn't seem to jive with what people say and believe about the handgun on their hip when they walk out the front door.

To whit, if I'm confident it will serve me in one, I'm confident it will serve me in the other.

I'm not arguing that it's every bit as good in every possible way.

WDW
12-28-2013, 07:48 PM
The only time I would even think twice about using a handgun is if a distance of 25+ yds was going to be a factor. In the 5 or so yds of open space in any given spot of my house, I have no qualms about using a G23 with WML/laser to defend myself. A handgun is smaller, lighter, and easier to maneuver with & I personally just prefer it in my house over a longgun as my go to choice.

JAD
12-28-2013, 07:50 PM
To whit, if I'm confident it will serve me in one, I'm confident it will serve me in the other.

Analog confidence is for amateurs.

jlw
12-28-2013, 07:58 PM
The point, which perhaps I failed to make clear, is that all the silliness about handguns being anemic and useless late at night in the home doesn't seem to jive with what people say and believe about the handgun on their hip when they walk out the front door.

That was not what I was asserting. I didn't qualify it. My assertion was that we carry handguns because they are handy as in easy to carry around.

In my home where I have a long gun readily accessible, why I would I go to the less effective of my choices?

To take that one step further, our philosophy at the SO is that the pistol is an anti-ambush tool. In any instance in which it is clear that a firearm is needed, we expect that firearm to be a rifle (or shotgun) if the deputy has the opportunity to deploy it. Even on something as simple as an alarm call, if their brain tells them "I should have a gun." they are expect to utilize a rifle (or shotgun).

The reason the shotgun is in parentheses in the above paragraph is that we mandate patrol rifles. Shotguns are optional.

Greg Bell
12-28-2013, 08:42 PM
I too keep the carbines in the safe. The only situation I can see grabbing a rifle for would be my house being surrounded by psychos (remote, even in Georgia). I am just a lot more comfortable running a pistol inside close confines. Everything from speed of deployment to retention seems to be in favor of the pistol. I agree that I would rather hit them with a .223 than a .40, but I think the handiness of the handgun tips the scales in its favor for CQB. Especially for "bump in the night duty."

I guess, if your family all sleeps in the same bed (my 4 year old likes to put the guilt trip on me), a carbine might be best if you were going to stay in one place and wait for them (not a bad plan, if you can keep to it). But most of the time if I think I hear something I go check it out rather than waiting it out.

Still, if I absolutely KNOW there is a bad guy in the house I could see grabbing my HK91 out of the safe and getting into an ambush position.

gocubs6
12-28-2013, 10:28 PM
I actually decided to put my G26 Gen 4 and my 3914 Lady Smith up for sale today because of this issue. My HD guns are all M&P full size 9mms. I carry a M&P 9c, but also a G26 and have the 3914. I decided, even though I like the 26 and 3914 better, to stick w/ the 9c full time. Not only because of equipment, but also if anything goes down when I'm carrying in the home, it is nice to go to any safe and be able to have mags and arm another at the same time.

Alaskapopo
12-28-2013, 10:33 PM
I currently have a G26 and a Shield 9mm for when I need something more slim. I also have a P226 9mm with a light mounted on it that stays in the safe.

My questions being, do you guys carry different than what you use at home defense aka "night stand gun"?

Do you add a light to whatever you carry when you get home (if your carry does not already have a light)?

My thinking being is to either stay in the realm of striker fire and focus time, money and training with that platform rather than being proficient in both DA/SA and striker fired.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Nate

I think that your should stick to one platform for carry and home defense. The reason being muscle memory and weapon manipulation becomes more second nature. So if you carry a Glock 26 for CCW then use a 17 or a 34 with a light on it for your home defense gun. In all honesty for home defense I think a AR or a shotgun makes a better choice.
Pat

JodyH
12-29-2013, 11:47 AM
My 11 year old says he's got his end of the house covered.
Walther PPS Airsoft under his pillow and a full-auto FAMAS Airsoft leaning next to his bed.
Both cocked, locked and ready to rock.

Nephrology
12-29-2013, 12:27 PM
but I think the handiness of the handgun tips the scales in its favor for CQB. Especially for "bump in the night duty."

This is why I've never been super enamored with longarms for HD. I simply don't have the space in my apartment to be doing any real maneuvering with a longarm. In my particular circumstances I have a pretty small amount of room to maneuver and, if someone is already through my front door, I might not even have time to get up and get a longarm into action. I am confident that 16 rounds of 9mm in the gun plus a 17 round reload will do the trick.

JodyH
12-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Opening doors, flipping light switches and rounding tight corners are all easier to do with a handgun w/WML.
Back when my boy was <5 years old, carrying or leading him by the hand had to be factored in as well.
Long gun retention in close quarters is another concern, it's very difficult/impossible to round a corner with a carbine at the ready and not leave someone the opportunity to grab or divert the barrel. And that's a lot of leverage that can be used against you.

If I'm investigating a bump or answering a unexpected knock at the door the handgun is my primary.
If the bump is outside and I'll be investigating outdoors then I'll probably grab the shotgun or AR.
If I have time to bunker down in a static defensive position then once again the shotgun or AR would be my first choice.

Today my CCW is a Kahr PM9 (it's cold and i'm not leaving the house) and my headboard gun is a P2000 w/C5L and 17+1 magazine.
My wife's church CCW is a M&P Shield (7+1) and her headboard gun is the Shield (8+1).
Winchester 1300 w/#00 is hanging over my closet.
My 11 year old just has to make do with BJJ, a Spyderco Dragonfly and his Airsoft arsenal.

richiecotite
12-29-2013, 09:05 PM
My ccw rotates between g19, m&p 45c, and 1911.

My nightstand gun is an m&p 45 fs with 14 rd mag and tlr-1.

Unfortunately, there's no way my wife would be ok with a long gun in our bedroom.

David B.
12-29-2013, 09:30 PM

Amen!

That's exactly how I feel about religion.

As for the home defense gun subject, if I know marauders are headed toward my house to pillage then I'll have my AR ready, but for daily home security my CCW gun comes off my hip and onto my nightstand when I go to bed.

God bless,
David

Greg Bell
12-29-2013, 11:34 PM
richiecotite,

The M&P45 with 14 round mag light and laser is an insanely great beside the bed gun.

TheTrevor
12-30-2013, 02:19 AM
Unfortunately, there's no way my wife would be ok with a long gun in our bedroom.

Phrasing.

David Armstrong
12-30-2013, 02:49 PM
My usual CCW is either a S&W 642 or a Glock 19. The bedside gun is a Glock 17 with one of the old magazine mounted light holders attached with a Scorpion flashlight.

David Armstrong
12-30-2013, 02:56 PM

Hmmmm. Seems that is a fairly common situation on most forums, including this one. Can we keep it in mind and refer back to it when discussions on things like capacity, carry methods, caliber and so on come up?;)

1slow
12-30-2013, 06:00 PM
In the Americus AMIS (armed movement in structures) course I talked with Craig about AMIS with a carbine. He seemed to be of the opinion it was harder to properly conform to cover/concealment and move well with a carbine than a pistol. Also it is harder to use a separate hand held light for distraction etc... with a carbine than a pistol.
I have a carbine with a light mounted and a pistol with laser and light. I like the power and accuracy of a carbine but feel the pistol is easier to work with, particularly in the dark by yourself.
Currently CCW and bedside are GL17s. I may switch to P30 LEM 9mms for CCW and bedside.
I like using the same operating system.

Rex G
01-05-2014, 03:47 PM
My G17, with X300 affixed virtually all the time, is presently my usual concealed-carry gun, and my go-to home-defense handgun. It also rides with me on big-city police patrol, off-body, in the patrol car, as a "back-up" weapon. It would be my duty pistol, had my chief signed the well-written proposal that would have allowed 9mm to be an alternative duty pistol cartridge for uniformed personnel. (.40 recoil is getting to be a bit much for my gimpy wrist.)

I am function-testing a G19 to be part of the team. Whether it will displace the G17 as my primary carry gun remains to be seen. I have been dressing around full-sized handguns for nearly thirty years, so the G17 might remain my most-favored carry gun, unless I switch to AIWB carry.

My personally-owned duty P229R, with a Surefire light mounted, is available as part of the home-defense ensemble, as are other weapons with and without lights, with standard and tritium sights. I am not the only adult in the house able to use firearms; an intruder may face as many as four folks with weapons at any given time. I am the only member of the household likely to carry a light on my weapon when out and about, unless my wife has her AR15 with her.

Edited to add: To be clear, I believe in hand-held lights! The WML is, ideally, a tertiary accessory.

Rex G
01-05-2014, 04:25 PM

Well, the thread title specified "CC," and mounted lights, so that is how I answered, choosing not to ramble off-topic. Had the OP asked about long guns, well, I would have mentioned my duty/HD Remington 870P, my wife's Wingmaster with its Surefire WML, etc. My 870P is sans WML, in compliance with my employer's policy on duty shotguns. (I choose not to make a complete long gun list, for OPSEC reasons.)

We do not normally CC our shotguns and rifles, though my Mini has been known to travel discreetly on road trips. The Mini's Sage International SCAR chassis stock has plenty of rail space for WMLs, and we have an accumulation of X200 and X300 lights.

jlw
01-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Well, the thread title specified "CC," and mounted lights, so that is how I answered, choosing not to ramble off-topic. Had the OP asked about long guns, well, I would have mentioned my duty/HD Remington 870P, my wife's Wingmaster with its Surefire WML, etc. My 870P is sans WML, in compliance with my employer's policy on duty shotguns. (I choose not to make a complete long gun list, for OPSEC reasons.)

We do not normally CC our shotguns and rifles, though my Mini has been known to travel discreetly on road trips. The Mini's Sage International SCAR chassis stock has plenty of rail space for WMLs, and we have an accumulation of X200 and X300 lights.

The title of the thread asked if the home defense gun is different than what is carried for CC. Discussing the use of long guns for home defense was thus directly on topic.

Rex G
01-05-2014, 05:31 PM

I have some extracurricular training time with long guns. I have cleared countless buildings at night with long guns, over a nearly-thirty-year period, usually with an 870, but I did have brief periods when I used a Benelli M1 Super 90, and later an AR15. (I aged-out of being able to handle my employer's quite athletic patrol rifle qual.) A legal-length shotgun is an IMPEDIMENT when moving through structures. A sling or strap is a further impediment. A pump gun is more of an impediment than an autoloading shotgun. These impediments are worth the trouble when I am with a trusted team, and much less so when I am the only fully-trained person present.

A pump gun with a sling is, indeed, wonderful when attending a class at a shooting range. Our narrow bedroom hallway, with numerous closet, bathroom, and bedroom doors, is a very undesirable place to be moving with a shotgun. This hallway is best traveled with one's handgun at a High #2, with a hand-held light in the other hand. If the fight moves outside, or into the huge den area, the shotgun suddenly becomes desirable.

A properly-set-up carbine is less cumbersome than a legal-length shotgun, of course.

I am not anti-shotgun; indeed, I am probably going to try to acquire a Benelli M2 later this year, and let my 870P join the "household" shotguns. (I opportunistically bought an M2 barrel with slug sights recently, and have my eye on a pre-owned 28"-barreled M2 at a local dealer.) With my pumping-side shoulder and wrist/hand having some functioning issues, it seems time to go back to an autoloading shotgun.

LostDuke
01-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Opening doors, flipping light switches and rounding tight corners are all easier to do with a handgun w/WML.
Back when my boy was <5 years old, carrying or leading him by the hand had to be factored in as well.
Long gun retention in close quarters is another concern, it's very difficult/impossible to round a corner with a carbine at the ready and not leave someone the opportunity to grab or divert the barrel. And that's a lot of leverage that can be used against you.

If I'm investigating a bump or answering a unexpected knock at the door the handgun is my primary.
If the bump is outside and I'll be investigating outdoors then I'll probably grab the shotgun or AR.
If I have time to bunker down in a static defensive position then once again the shotgun or AR would be my first choice.

I too find that a long gun is ideal when entrenched in a static position in the house, while a handgun and a flashlight (ideally kept away from my body) is preferable to investigate the source of a sound, or securing children at night. I have dogs, and will rely on them to point out any threat.

This in theory. In practice, I prefer to keep by my bed side the handgun I normally carry and a flashlight. My wife does not want to have anything to do with guns, and will call the police.

The dogs will look for intruders to see if they have food for them and/or if they want to play ball, they are that good. The small one will bark, my wife will be screaming into the phone, I will be debating if putting down the light to grab a couple of Advil's is worth it. I can't wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

GardoneVT
01-05-2014, 05:57 PM
For my specific needs, a long arm is impractical for self defense.The distance from the front door of my apartment to my bedroom is 20 paces.At that distance, the bad guy will be on top of me before I can even get the rifle into action-and you don't leave high powered rifles openly laying around in a college apartment.Since the weapon is secured, that's even more time which I probably won't have.

CC and home defense gun is my 92FS.When I move to my own property someday far away from everything , thatll probably change.Just goes to show that everyone has a different mission statement and a different environment to protect, so we won't even come close to agreeing on what guns to employ.

JodyH
01-05-2014, 08:33 PM
I have a Safariland 6004 SLS screwed to the bed frame on my side of the bed near the headboard.
I keep my "nightstand" pistol secured in the holster by the rotating SLS hood.
This gives me a consistent, secure place to put my pistol and getting past the retention devices takes enough conscious effort to make sure I'm somewhat coherent before I have a gun in my hand.
This also makes it nearly impossible for someone else to get at my pistol without waking me up.

The particular 6004 I have is the one for a Glock 34 w/GTL, but it's "universal" enough to secure my P2000 or SigPro with or without a Viridian C5L or a TLR3 mounted.
By "universal enough" I mean it secures them well enough that you have to rotate the hood to retrieve them and nothing can get to the trigger while it's mounted to my bed frame.

Clyde from Carolina
01-05-2014, 10:12 PM
I have a Safariland 6004 SLS screwed to the bed frame on my side of the bed near the headboard.
I keep my "nightstand" pistol secured in the holster by the rotating SLS hood.
This gives me a consistent, secure place to put my pistol and getting past the retention devices takes enough conscious effort to make sure I'm somewhat coherent before I have a gun in my hand.
This also makes it nearly impossible for someone else to get at my pistol without waking me up.

The particular 6004 I have is the one for a Glock 34 w/GTL, but it's "universal" enough to secure my P2000 or SigPro with or without a Viridian C5L or a TLR3 mounted.
By "universal enough" I mean it secures them well enough that you have to rotate the hood to retrieve them and nothing can get to the trigger while it's mounted to my bed frame.

Sounds like a good set-up.

Pistol Pete
01-06-2014, 12:32 AM
I carry either a Kimber Compact or more recently a Springfield Champion Operator with Surefire X300 attached. I keep a Kimber Desert Warrior with TLR-1 attached and CMC 10rd mag in the nightstand.

breakingtime91
01-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Right now I have a M&P 9c that stays in it's JM custom holster with a surefire E1b with a wrist lanyard next to it. I'm not against long guns, actually considering selling some stuff to get a AR to supplement my pistol. The reason I have not yet is because I have two German Shepherds that investigate with me and don't like strangers that are not invited in, so I imagine I'll need a free hand to control them (where the lanyard come into play). It's not perfect but I much rather have dog over watch then a AR, so I make do with the 9mm.

Alaskapopo
01-06-2014, 01:45 AM
My usual CCW is either a S&W 642 or a Glock 19. The bedside gun is a Glock 17 with one of the old magazine mounted light holders attached with a Scorpion flashlight.

We disagree on a lot of things but we agree here. I carry a Glock 19 off duty and as a back up. I use a Smith J frame Scandium revolver in .357 for those times I can't conceal the 19 and my Glock 17 with my X300 is always by my bed when I go to sleep.
pat

ToddG
01-06-2014, 12:09 PM
These impediments are worth the trouble when I am with a trusted team, and much less so when I am the only fully-trained person present... This hallway is best traveled with one's handgun at a High #2, with a hand-held light in the other hand...

Great post!

Chuck Whitlock
01-06-2014, 09:50 PM
I too find that a long gun is ideal when entrenched in a static position in the house, while a handgun and a flashlight (ideally kept away from my body) is preferable to investigate the source of a sound, or securing children at night.

I feel that this is the crux of the issue when discussing Handgun vs. longgun for home defense.

ares338
01-07-2014, 09:05 AM

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Nate

Carry pistol is an XDS 45ACP....Desk pistol is a 45ACP M1911. I won't have a big worry about someone sneaking up on me in bed as I have two poodles that bark at a flea passing gas at 500 yds and 4 100 lb+ outdoor dogs who are really good at guarding.

shanep
01-09-2014, 09:22 AM
My carry gun is pretty much my home defense gun. I aiwb hk 45c most of the time even at home. To be safe however I do have a p30 mounted with surefire x400 and a Benelli m2 shotgun with integrated surefire light handy when I need light.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

MRW
01-11-2014, 08:57 AM
I don't always have the same CCW as a night stand pistol but they all are the same type of pistol. CCW is either a Gen G4 26 or a G19. When it's bed time whichever one I have goes in the night stand with a flashlight. Also have a spare G17 RTF2 in there as a back up and for the wife.

Other guns in various locations in the house are 9 mm Glocks too. It's basically the same manual of arms, they share magazines, and are similar to my duty weapon so I feel confident in the choices. I also have an aging Chesapeake Bay Retriever as an "early warning system"

Moonshot
01-11-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm a little late to this thread, but...

Originally posted by Tamara:

Damn, I like the way you think!

gregorya57
01-12-2014, 01:33 AM
Carry guns are either a 2 1/2" 686+, or a SCCY CPX-2. Hanging on the headboard is 6" Model 57. I would like to have a rifle or shotgun, but finances don't permit it at this time. The only carbine I have right now is an elderly Model 94 Winchester in 25-35 WCF.

BoppaBear
01-12-2014, 09:38 AM
For my HD pistols, I'm not as worried about them being the same as my EDC. They are actually my former EDC pistols with thousands of rounds through them, prior to landing on HK 3 years ago. This said, I have considered standardizing platforms and caliber.

Night stand gun is an M&P 9FS with a TLR-3 and spare mag. I keep a handheld SF with it, as I want to have the option (and prefer to) to use the light independently, but may need the WML when securing my infant son.

I keep a P220 with TLR-1 in my kitchen with 10 rd mag and reload.

P239 with reloads upstairs, hidden, but accessible.

Generally, my EDC pistol and reload are either on me while at home, or next to me. At night, it goes on the night stand also.

While I prefer the idea of my carbine for HD, I agree that for parents of small kids that may need to be fetched, it's not applicable. Same for shotgun (Benelli Nova Tactical 7+1; looking to trade up for auto loader...I forget to rack it).

As has been said by others, my carbine will be for outside, hunkering down, or if my son is with us already.

ETA- I have zero training on pump guns, and am not proficient after the first shot. In a HD/SD scenario, a pump is more of a hindrance than a benefit, for me.

Nephrology
01-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Generally, my EDC pistol and reload are either on me while at home, or next to me. At night, it goes on the night stand also.

Why do you have (what I assume are) 2 full size pistols on the nightstand?

BoppaBear
01-12-2014, 02:13 PM
No other reason than the EDC is with me when I go to bed, and with me when I wake up. That's all.

ETA- and one can go to my wife if she has to hunker down with the phone...