PDA

View Full Version : Fitz specials

TR675
12-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Stopped by the funnest of Fun Stores in the area yesterday and got to talking with one of the gents behind the counter. He brought out a couple of rarities.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/22/pemyjy2e.jpg

This one is an original Fitz special, made as a gift for a local Texas luminary back in the day - a beautiful snub Colt .45. The metalwork is absolutely outstanding. The gift-or and gift-ee's initials are engraved on the sides of the revolver. The engraving is beautifully done. I have never wanted a big bore revo - ok, an authentic, vintage big bore revo - quite so much.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/22/a6ymytep.jpg

This one is a Fitz knockoff, made on a 5 screw S&W and carried by a Marine Corps aviator in Korea. The Marine's name and "USMC" are engraved on the backstrap. The metalwork is not up to par with the Fitz above, but the piece is still very, very cool.

Thought there might be some interest in these vintage carry/belly guns.

Clyde from Carolina
12-21-2013, 10:20 PM
I like Fitz Specials to be Colts, but a .45 Smith & Wesson is a step in the right direction. At least Elmer would approve of the caliber. He liked S&w revovers and Fitz liked guns that worked.

Tamara
12-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Do you know why I hate Fitz Specials?

Because knowledge of those things has caused the wreckage of more fine old guns...

I have seen with my own eyes more than one pre-war N-Frame wrecked in an attempt to make a "Fitz Special", one of them an exceptionally nice, tight .38/44 Outdoorsman, whacked back to the ejector rod, crudely recrowned, with a dime for a front sight, the trigger guard cut away... and adjustable sights. The surgery was covered up with cold blue. I get ill just remembering it.

LSP972
12-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Fitz Specials have always fascinated me.

I made a sort-of "Jordan Special" out of my Dad's M-442 when he passed. Jordan knew that completely cutting away the front half of the trigger guard was bad juju, so what he did was thin out the front half. I did that, plus chopped a quarter inch off the butt, gently increased the radiusing on a few corners, and had it Black T'ed. The result is a pretty nifty pocket-carry J frame.

I've got photos, but I don't do the PhotoBucket or other "hosting" thing; got spammed big-time when I did that once.

S&W made the near-perfect production examples of this genre of revolver, with the M-242 and M-296. I've often wondered why those weren't more popular. But aside from mine, I've only ever seen two other 242s, and I've yet to lay eyeballs (other than via photographs) on a 296.

LSP972
12-22-2013, 09:32 AM
I like Fitz Specials to be Colts, but a .45 Smith & Wesson is a step in the right direction. At least Elmer would approve of the caliber. He liked S&w revovers and Fitz liked guns that worked.

Uh… I believe that S&W is a J frame (i.e., .38).

Tamara
12-22-2013, 09:35 AM

Yup. Flat-latch 36.

TR675
12-22-2013, 09:47 AM
LSP - Tapatalk will host photos directly if you are uploading from a mobile (at least, it will for Apple iOS devices).

Tam - true! But, Bubba's gonna Bubba. Someone who would do that to a .38-44...well, that gun was doomed no matter what.

JodyH
12-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Somebody get a picture of the "Fitz Special Glock" that was up for sale on one of the other forums a few months back.

{edit}
Here it is!
From Gunbroker.

TR675
12-22-2013, 01:02 PM
I love the paint job on those magazines. Just love it.

Clyde from Carolina
12-22-2013, 06:21 PM

I got in a hurry and my brain saw the .45 from the Colt and somehow confused that with the .38 Smith. My inner gun geek is suitably humbled now.

LSP972
12-22-2013, 07:09 PM
I got in a hurry and my brain saw the .45 from the Colt and somehow confused that with the .38 Smith. My inner gun geek is suitably humbled now.

Hey, no drama. You made me look again, for sure…;)

But while we are on that subject, I have been quietly, for years, keeping an eye out for a beater S&W 1917 to "Fitz up".

Shhhh… don't tell Tamara…

LSP972
12-22-2013, 07:35 PM
LSP - Tapatalk will host photos directly if you are uploading from a mobile (at least, it will for Apple iOS devices).

Hmmm… I have an iPad, and the photos are on an iMac. Of course, the reason I have Apple stuff is because of my near-total computer ignorance.

Then again, all the kids will be here for a few days next week; surely one of them can show the old man how to manage it.

Clyde from Carolina
12-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Hey, no drama. You made me look again, for sure…;)

But while we are on that subject, I have been quietly, for years, keeping an eye out for a beater S&W 1917 to "Fitz up".

:D

I used to have a refinished Brazilian S&W 1917 that would have been perfect for that sort of project. Should have kept it for a fun shooter but sold it years ago.

I have a very nice New Service in .455 made for the Brits in 1916 that would make a great Fitz gun too...but it is staying original.

Promise. :-)

Tamara
12-23-2013, 12:52 AM

A beater 1917 is one thing; an otherwise cherry Outdoorsman is a horse of an entirely different color.

LSP972
12-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Touche'.

TCinVA
12-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Somebody get a picture of the "Fitz Special Glock" that was up for sale on one of the other forums a few months back.

{edit}
Here it is!
From Gunbroker.

Whoever did that deserves to burn in hell.

Tamara
12-23-2013, 06:29 PM
I love the paint job on those magazines. Just love it.

Those aren't magazines, those are distraction devices. When you're cornered, you throw one on the ground. Your opponent will pick it up and, while he's standing there totally baffled at what possible retarded train of thought could have led to that abortion of a paint job, you take him down.

Dagga Boy
12-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Please tell me those are at Jackson Armory. I will go visit.

I have always wanted one, but could never afford a real one, and like Tam, refused to ruin a nice gun to make one.

Recently, I rescued a beat up New Service that was already ruined with a bad refinish 50 years ago. It's in .38/40 and will be getting "Fitz'd" at some point.

Tom Selleck carries one in Blue Bloods...Which is bad ass!

TR675
12-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Those aren't magazines, those are distraction devices. When you're cornered, you throw one on the ground. Your opponent will pick it up and, while he's standing there totally baffled at what possible retarded train of thought could have led to that abortion of a paint job, you take him down.

I laughed out loud.

TheTrevor
12-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Hmmm… I have an iPad, and the photos are on an iMac. Of course, the reason I have Apple stuff is because of my near-total computer ignorance.

Then again, all the kids will be here for a few days next week; surely one of them can show the old man how to manage it.

I'll be glad to upload any pics to my Flickr account and post them here. PM me if you're interested.

Josh Runkle
12-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Do you know why I hate Fitz Specials?

Because knowledge of those things has caused the wreckage of more fine old guns...

I have seen with my own eyes more than one pre-war N-Frame wrecked in an attempt to make a "Fitz Special", one of them an exceptionally nice, tight .38/44 Outdoorsman, whacked back to the ejector rod, crudely recrowned, with a dime for a front sight, the trigger guard cut away... and adjustable sights. The surgery was covered up with cold blue. I get ill just remembering it.

I have this picture of the Chinese taking over one day and you being interrogated. When you won't talk they pull teeth and fingernails. When nothing else works they find some minty vintage guns and a dremel and you start talking. ;)

LSP972
12-24-2013, 04:26 PM
I'll be glad to upload any pics to my Flickr account and post them here. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks, I may take you up on that.

Joe in PNG
12-24-2013, 04:28 PM
I have this picture of the Chinese taking over one day and you being interrogated. When you won't talk they pull teeth and fingernails. When nothing else works they find some minty vintage guns and a dremel and you start talking. ;)

"Still no talk? Bubba!"

(300lb extra out of 'Deliverance' walks in. In one hand he holds a mint pre war Registered Magnum. In the other, a Dremmel tool)

"Aim uh gonna make me one'um does purty Fitz speshuls, and en-grave it, too!"

TheTrevor
12-24-2013, 06:26 PM
"Still no talk? Bubba!"

(300lb extra out of 'Deliverance' walks in. In one hand he holds a mint pre war Registered Magnum. In the other, a Dremmel tool)

"Aim uh gonna make me one'um does purty Fitz speshuls, and en-grave it, too!"

{whips out $5 soldering iron}

"And then, MISS Tam... we will stipple the grips."

Tamara
12-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Monsters! :eek:

1slow
12-25-2013, 11:27 AM
This reminds me of a story in Guns & Ammo in the 1970s.
Writer was in some backwoods area talking to a local about the local's side by side shotgun. Shotgun had the cracked stock reinforced with a wire wrap. Local said that the gun had shot too tight a pattern until the barrels had been cut off some. " Then with dreadful clarity I saw Purdey on the gun."
I do not remember this perfectly but this is the gist of it.

Clyde from Carolina
12-25-2013, 12:13 PM
The horror...the horror.