PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger GP100 Match Champion

jetfire
12-20-2013, 02:53 PM
So Ruger will be launching a new variant of the GP100, which they're calling the GP100 Match Champion (http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/12/20/ruger-gp100-match-champion/). I'm fairly certain that they have some sort of dream harvesting technology out there, because this gun looks like GP100 I've been wanting ever since I started shooting revo seriously. Slab sided half underlug barrel, chamfered charge holes, checkered wood stocks with no finger grooves, proper sights, it's just amazing.

I understand that not everyone "gets" revolvers, but for the people that do and who want a serious match ready gun right out of the box, this going to be really hard to beat. If it had a DAO hammer, it'd be perfect. I am really happy that Ruger is getting after the serious competition revolver market. Since this gun competes heads up with the 686SSR, my hope is that they'll bring back the Redhawk, chamber in .45 ACP and cut it for moonclips from the factory. That'd be HAWT.

ford.304
12-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Looks almost exactly like I want my GP100 to look like when I'm done with it.

I don't see what competition they're going to be running in unless they make a moon clip version, though. SSR is pretty empty.

Totem Polar
12-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Duuuuude! Thanks for posting; I totally agree with your assessment. I was all ga-ga over the blue wiley clapp with the bead front sight; only the lack of chamber chamfering and DAO hammer rained on that parade, and this one goes one more step in the direction of the righteous. I can get the hammer bobbed/notch removed/action tuned myself. Keep us updated when yours lands.
:cool:

http://www.generalfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/fc60e903_its-beautiful1.jpg

jetfire
12-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Looks almost exactly like I want my GP100 to look like when I'm done with it.

I don't see what competition they're going to be running in unless they make a moon clip version, though. SSR is pretty empty.

At this year's Nationals, SSR had 24 shooters, 9 of whom where DMs or Masters. ESR had 10 shooters total. In 2012, SSR had 17 shooters and ESR had 13. IDPA is really the last bastion of the speedloader gun; and SSR is definitely the more popular of the two wheelgun divisions.

ford.304
12-20-2013, 04:29 PM
At this year's Nationals, SSR had 24 shooters, 9 of whom where DMs or Masters. ESR had 10 shooters total. In 2012, SSR had 17 shooters and ESR had 13. IDPA is really the last bastion of the speedloader gun; and SSR is definitely the more popular of the two wheelgun divisions.

Huh, that is nice to hear, actually. I guess my view is skewed a bit by a fact that all the shooters locally do ESR or USPSA.

jetfire
12-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Huh, that is nice to hear, actually. I guess my view is skewed a bit by a fact that all the shooters locally do ESR or USPSA.

Guys that shoot SSR tend to be dedicated speedloader guys, and many of them don't crossover to shoot USPSA. Partially because shooting USPSA with a speedloader gun is just a recipe to get your tail beat.

Chuck Haggard
12-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Damn you for posting this...........

jlw
12-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Do like...

jetfire
12-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Now all we need is Tam wishing this was a no-lock L-frame and this thread will be complete!

Tamara
12-20-2013, 05:06 PM
...and a gold house. And a rocket car.

ETA: Actually, you know what? Not an L-frame. I want a 520 reintroduction, of the real 520, not the re-cycling of the number for some L-frame abortion, but an honest-to-Wotan fixed sight N in .357, but make it an eight shooter. :cool:

(I don't know why you think I care about the lock. :confused: )

Joseph B.
12-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Any idea on price tag? As long as they don't try to sell thing as a $1200-$1500 revolver, I probably add this to the "to buy" list for 2014.

jetfire
12-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Any idea on price tag? As long as they don't try to sell thing as a $1200-$1500 revolver, I probably add this to the "to buy" list for 2014.

MSRP is around $900, so it'll probably street for $850ish.

jetfire
12-20-2013, 05:36 PM
...and a gold house. And a rocket car.

ETA: Actually, you know what? Not an L-frame. I want a 520 reintroduction, of the real 520, not the re-cycling of the number for some L-frame abortion, but an honest-to-Wotan fixed sight N in .357, but make it an eight shooter. :cool:

(I don't know why you think I care about the lock. :confused: )

I type "no-lock" before S&W the way life-long Catholics genuflect.

Totem Polar
12-20-2013, 05:56 PM
In other news, the paroxysmal trip to the Ruger website induced by this thread found that we shall soon be graced with an external-hammer LCR with SA capability.

Where is the "yawn" smiley?

jetfire
12-20-2013, 06:03 PM
The LCRx, they're calling it. It was apparently made in response to customer demand; because apparently there are lots of people who don't understand that hammer spurs on defensive revolvers are an abomination unto the lord.

TR675
12-20-2013, 06:09 PM
The LCRx, they're calling it. It was apparently made in response to customer demand; because apparently there are lots of people who don't understand that hammer spurs on defensive revolvers are an abomination unto the lord.

Nonsense. How are you supposed to intimidate bad guys if you can't thumb the hammer back during a Mexican standoff? I don't carry my pump gun around with me all the time.

On another note, no matter what I try I've been completely unable to get my Glocks to make that hammer-cocking noise. I know they can do it because I've heard lots of Glocks make that noise on TV shows. What am I doing wrong?

Chuck Haggard
12-20-2013, 06:09 PM
I got a customer survey from Ruger, that LCRx was one of the things that could be voted for as a "next" product. Obviously more thn a few people hit the "yup" button on that one.

Tamara
12-20-2013, 06:16 PM

As God is my witness, and from no small number of years behind the glass, the number of Cletii who:

DEMAND single action ability on their pocket revolver, and yet...
Think the S&W Bodyguard .38s (the real bodyguard .38, not this new abortion) are too ugly to own...

...are positively legion. This is maybe the largest single handgun buying demographic outside of "People Who Think They're Too Tactical For A Revolver But Can't Spend More Than $249.95 On A Handgun".

jetfire
12-20-2013, 06:19 PM
As God is my witness, and from no small number of years behind the glass, the number of Cletii who:

DEMAND single action ability on their pocket revolver, and yet...
Think the S&W Bodyguard .38s (the real bodyguard .38, not this new abortion) are too ugly to own...

...are positively legion. This is maybe the largest single handgun buying demographic outside of "People Who Think They're Too Tactical For A Revolver But Can't Spend More Than $249.95 On A Handgun".

I will say that single action is nice on a pocket wheelgun when you're trying to hit a steel target at 75 yards in the Oregon desert.

But other than that, it's just silliness. I once had a Cleetus explain that he wanted it single action so his wife could shoot it too; since DAO was "too hard" for her. I did not hit him in the mouth, despite the temptation.

Chuck Whitlock
12-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Far too many post to multi-quote and "+1" in this thread!

Upon getting the email announcement of the LCRx my first thought was, "Why?"

That Match Champion really speaks to me! I've been wishing for another 3-4" medium frame .357. I recently acquired a 4" 15-3 to have a wheelgun in the stable again, but have been debating trying to trade it on a new no-lock 642 I just came across.

Chuck Haggard
12-21-2013, 04:43 PM
I couldn't help but think that the LCRx in .22lr, with one of those fancy glowy fiber dot front sights, would make a very nice in the woods pocket gun.

peterb
12-21-2013, 05:15 PM
I couldn't help but think that the LCRx in .22lr, with one of those fancy glowy fiber dot front sights, would make a very nice in the woods pocket gun.

I thought the same thing, but with a 3" barrel as a lightweight "kit gun" alternative to the 4" SP101.

TheTrevor
12-21-2013, 10:36 PM
I keep eyeing the LCR in 22WM for AIWB carry when I'm coyote hunting in the northern CA hills. I'd likely buy one on the spot if I found a version with a 3-inch barrel as peterb mentions.

That said, the GP100 Match Champ is pretty damn sexy. That one's going on the "ask my gun store guy to let me know when one comes in" list...

GJM
12-22-2013, 07:28 AM
While the fixed rear sight looks good, how much of a pain will it be to get a good zero, given how common POI shift is amongst different weight revolver loads?

With my adjustable sighted 329's, I have a dedicated .44 special 329, as even with the adjustable rear, the POI shift is too great between .44 special and my heavier weight magnum loads.

Tamara
12-22-2013, 08:17 AM
While the fixed rear sight looks good, how much of a pain will it be to get a good zero, given how common POI shift is amongst different weight revolver loads?

With my adjustable sighted 329's, I have a dedicated .44 special 329, as even with the adjustable rear, the POI shift is too great between .44 special and my heavier weight magnum loads.

I think the idea with a fixed sight wheel gun was to file the front sight to fit your fightin' load and hold off as appropriate for your practice load. I don't think fixed sight revolvers were conceived with the idea of having a different load for every purpose under the sun. ;)

TR675
12-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Gonna be hard to file that fiber optic... ;)

Chuck Haggard
12-22-2013, 10:49 AM
With .22s I haven't noticed as much of a POA vs POI difference. Almost everything I shoot through my 317 hits to the same POA, with groups larger or smaller according to how well the gun likes said bullets.

Recoil is why different loads hit to different POA in wheelguns, and the .22 has so little of that.

jetfire
12-22-2013, 10:57 AM

I am praying that when my samples show up they're regulated for 158 grain bullets, because my go IDPA load is a 158 at 800.

JonInWA
12-28-2013, 09:07 AM
I am praying that when my samples show up they're regulated for 158 grain bullets, because my go IDPA load is a 158 at 800.

I'd frankly be amazed if they weren't, Caleb-since the beginning of time (well, since Ruger introduced their DA revolvers), all their .38 Special/.357 Magnum fixed-sight revolvers have been regulated for the 158 grainers.

Best, Jon

Kyle Reese
12-28-2013, 09:28 AM
I'm not a revolver guy, but this offering has me interested.

GJM
12-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Stopped by the LGS yesterday, and they had a four inch regular model with the FO front and Novak style rear, so it looks like Ruger is doing this more. Very attractive.

Can a Ruger trigger be made as good as a Smith? A few years back, Hamilton Bowen told me no, but not sure if anything changed.

jetfire
12-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Stopped by the LGS yesterday, and they had a four inch regular model with the FO front and Novak style rear, so it looks like Ruger is doing this more. Very attractive.

Can a Ruger trigger be made as good as a Smith? A few years back, Hamilton Bowen told me no, but not sure if anything changed.

Short answer is no. The big difference between Ruger and S&W guns is the Ruger uses a coil mainspring while the Smith uses that leaf spring. The leaf spring and action on the Smith allow for a lot more fine tuning than you can with the Ruger.

That being said, if you're willing to commit yourself to using crush fit Federal primers for the rest of your life, you can get a Ruger pretty light.

Lost River
12-28-2013, 07:22 PM
I like the Match Champion concept.

Doing that to a Redhawk, chambered in .44 Magnum would be slick. 4" Redhawks are stellar revolvers and very underrated. Slicking one up like the MC, would make a strong contender for the ultimate practical outdoorsman's sidearm, for country where big bores are an essential tool.

JonInWA
12-28-2013, 08:29 PM
I've been looking for a stainless steel, fixed-sight, short-shroud GP100/Security Six for some time. I plan on getting one of these for dedicated use with .357 Magnum cartridges for field carry-this is the best new product that Ruger's come up with in years, in my opinion.

Best, Jon

JHC
12-28-2013, 08:32 PM
I've been looking for a stainless steel, fixed-sight, short-shroud GP100/Security Six for some time. I plan on getting one of these for dedicated use with .357 Magnum cartridges for field carry-this is the best new product that Ruger's come up with in years, in my opinion.

Best, Jon

Yeah short shroud is big to me. I've never cared for full shrouds be they Python, L frame or GP100.

S391
01-02-2014, 06:56 PM
My local shop got one in this afternoon and all I have to do is wait 48 hours until I can take it home. I've always liked the GP100 and this one is really nice.... Merry Christmas to me :D

Totem Polar
01-02-2014, 09:21 PM
^^^Nice!

Pics and report, when ready, please.

Alaskapopo
01-03-2014, 01:18 AM
So Ruger will be launching a new variant of the GP100, which they're calling the GP100 Match Champion (http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/12/20/ruger-gp100-match-champion/). I'm fairly certain that they have some sort of dream harvesting technology out there, because this gun looks like GP100 I've been wanting ever since I started shooting revo seriously. Slab sided half underlug barrel, chamfered charge holes, checkered wood stocks with no finger grooves, proper sights, it's just amazing.

I understand that not everyone "gets" revolvers, but for the people that do and who want a serious match ready gun right out of the box, this going to be really hard to beat. If it had a DAO hammer, it'd be perfect. I am really happy that Ruger is getting after the serious competition revolver market. Since this gun competes heads up with the 686SSR, my hope is that they'll bring back the Redhawk, chamber in .45 ACP and cut it for moonclips from the factory. That'd be HAWT.

Looks nice other than the fugly grips.
Pat

LSP972
01-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Can a Ruger trigger be made as good as a Smith?

30 years ago, Libby Callahan of D.C Metro had a bull gun, made on a Security Six, whose DA trigger was fully the equal of anything I've ever felt from the likes of Davis, Kerry Freeman, Royce Weddel, etc.

I don't recall who the mechanic was, but it was a most impressive piece with an Apex barrel... and she used it to help win the two-man team event at NPRC in 1985. That gal can shoot...

jetfire
01-03-2014, 10:40 AM
For a couple of fun science reasons, the Security Six action takes to action jobs just a little bit better than the GP100. Almost 40 years ago now, my dad was a deputy sheriff carrying a Security Six. He still has that gun, and the trigger on it brings a tear to my eye. I sent one of my sixes off to Clark Custom, and the gun that came back is just...wonderful.

JonInWA
01-03-2014, 05:18 PM
I agree, Caleb. I've got one of each; the GP100 has a magnificent trigger job, but the Security Six's is just a bit...better. A bit smoother, with absolutely no perceptible hitches/grit/hesitation/stutters. If it sounds like I'm damning the GP100's job, I'm honestly not-its quite good in its own right, but the Security Six's is clearly...better. I have no idea who performed the work on the Security Six, as I got it used from a reputable gunshop, and also subsequently had Ruger thoroughly go through it. The only thing I've done is have a couple of the chambers polished, all of the chambers chamfered, and replaced the Ruger Target grips it came with with first a set of Hogues, and ultimately with a set of Trausch grips that the late Jacques Trausch was kind enough to customize for me.

For overall handing dynamics I'm slightly preferential towards the GP100 (mine has the full lug and compact grip).

Best, Jon

S391
01-06-2014, 12:42 PM
I picked up my Match Champion over the weekend and I wanted to post some pics and get some feedback.... The gun seems pretty crude to me.... is this normal for a Ruger? There seems to be a lot of flashing / tool marks / even what appears to be some rust.......

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/Ruger2_zpsd8f22e94.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/image_zpsabc7eeb7.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/image_zpsf7ad5310.jpg

It's hard to see in the pic but the frame is bent from the sight install....

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/image_zps90018ad6.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/image_zpsdff44c59.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/image_zpsf9758ffb.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/image_zpsc8c05225.jpg

JonInWA
01-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Tool marks, etc. are typical Ruger. "Rust" is probably remnants of the finishing process, or the shipping preservative. Judicious application of Mother's Mag Polish will remove both if desired-the exterior marks should be fairly easy to clean up-the inner stuff I simply wouldn't worry about-it's a "Ruger sort of thing.". If the frame window is bent by the sight installation, you might want to take that up with Ruger, but as long as the cylinder's movement isn't impeded, I doubt if it's of any operational significance-but even so, it shouldn't have occurred.

Best, Jon

_JD_
01-06-2014, 01:51 PM
I picked up my Match Champion over the weekend...

Mind divulging what you paid?

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

jetfire
01-06-2014, 02:08 PM
I had a sad that you got yours before I got mine.

S391
01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
I paid $739... I traded a few phone calls and emails with the folks at Ruger this morning and it's going back in the morning. The gentleman I talked with said he has never seen one "so rough"..... I'll be interested to see what happens.

Caleb, how do you like the action job Clark did on your Security Six?

jetfire
01-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Caleb, how do you like the action job Clark did on your Security Six?

It's like rubbing your finger over an angel's [redacted because Caleb has a dirty mind]..

In all seriousness, it's really good. I had them leave the action heavier so it would crack factory primers of foreign origin, and it's still light years better than anything else. Those Clark guys know their stuff.

shooter220
01-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Those Clark guys know their stuff.

I don't think you are the first to say that either.

-shooter

Jim Watson
01-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Way back in my PPC days, I saw two Clark S----- Six PPC 1500 guns with bull barrel and Bomar rib. The blue one was about as slick as a Colt or Smith. The stainless was no different from stock that I could tell. I might have thought it was a stock gun with Clark barrel screwed in except that it was a prize gun at a state championship.

NEPAKevin
01-06-2014, 03:55 PM
is this normal for a Ruger? There seems to be a lot of flashing / tool marks / even what appears to be some rust.......

A couple years ago, I was at FLGS looking at a stainless GP100, opened the cylinder and asked the the salesman, who is a gun guy, if there were really machine filings still between the extractor star and the cylinder. He looked at it and replied "ah yup."

ScotchMan
01-08-2014, 11:49 PM
I am super intrigued by this revolver, and share most of the enthusiasm posted here. But, in the final analysis, I am left wondering why I would purchase this over a 686SSR or even 627 Pro Series, with a fixed rear sight added. Other than cost of course, which is not insignificant.

jetfire
01-09-2014, 09:06 AM
I am super intrigued by this revolver, and share most of the enthusiasm posted here. But, in the final analysis, I am left wondering why I would purchase this over a 686SSR or even 627 Pro Series, with a fixed rear sight added. Other than cost of course, which is not insignificant.

Minor disclaimer, I don't have my match champions yet. However, having owned several GP100s and 686s, the honest answer is "just pick whichever one has the prettiest logo or whatnot." My 686SSR was a great gun, I just prefer Ruger revolvers to Smiths.

SansSouci
01-09-2014, 01:33 PM
I am going to a gun store today to finish paperwork on a GP 100. After seeing this revolver, I'm thinking of buying it since nearly all of it's use will be target shooting.

BTW, I darn near bought another 586. But after reading stellar reviews of the GP 100, I came to the conclusion that it's a more than worthy gun.

GJM
01-09-2014, 01:38 PM
I just prefer Ruger revolvers to Smiths.

how come?

jetfire
01-09-2014, 01:59 PM
how come?

Personal bias, more'n likely. Dad carried a Security Six before they switched LASD to the 92F, and he always extolled the virtues of the Ruger guns vs. the S&W. Dad bought Rugers, I bought Rugers. I've shot and owned both S&Ws and Rugers, and I just end up liking the Ruger more.

JonInWA
01-09-2014, 03:12 PM
I'm solidly with Caleb on this one. I've had multiple Smith & Wesson revos (586, 642, and a WWII Victory Model 10) and multiple Ruger revos (3X GP100s, a Security Six and an SP101); I prefer the durability and design architecture of the Rugers. For example, my Security Six (like Caleb's) has a beautiful action, and due to the design of the cylinder retention system, I don't have to worry about a retention screw backing out at the least opportune moment. I also preferred the OEM grips Ruger used to provide-while the current Hogues are certainly usable, and hardly the worst option, I think that the previous ones (both the full-size and especially the ompact grips) were more ergonomic and aesthetically attractive. The OEM Hogue grip on the 3" GP100 is just patently ridiculous.

I think that the major advantages of the GP100 Match Competitor model is that it looks to be perfectly runnable out of the box, with no additional gunsmithing immediately required-the come with a tuned action/springing, sights ideal for both IDPA/USPSA type competition, charge holes chamfered (jeez, FINALLY an revo manufacturer who does it from the get-go-why this wasn't universally provided decades ago is a mystery to me), and with a decent grip for both competition and carry (which, if I get one, I'll still probably replace with a NOS Ruger one-but that's just me {and the fact that I happen to have an unemployed one on hand}). Nice additional features are the rounded smooth trigger. The "pinched" cylinder probably slightly aids in re-holstering, but is in my opinion more of a point of aesthetic differentiation/branding than anything else (frankly, from an aesthetic point, I think it looks "old timey" and prefer the stock cylinder profile-but again, that's just me, and it's of little operational significance either way).

Also, the street price is pretty reasonable-sub-$800, which is less then the tariff would likely be to get a "stock" GP100 (or, say, a comparable S&W) and have a quality action job, spring set replacement, sight replacement, and quality grip).

I think that the Ruger will be particularly attractive to the SSR IDPA competitor-both in the US and in Canada. It also looks to make a pretty nifty carry/trail gun optimized for .357 Magnum. That's a plus for me personally, as both my current customized GP100 and Security Six have their adjustable sights set up for .38 Special +P for both competition and carry; with the new fixed sight competition model I'd just use it exclusively for .357 Magnum and not have to deal with re-adjusting the other gun's sights between .38 Special +P and .357 Magnum POA/POI {admittedly easy to do, but still a bit time- and ammunition-intensive; the .38 Special +P cartridges that I prefer are still a bit of a hit-and-miss in terms of availability, another plus for keeping the sights with one set-up semi-permanently).

While I strongly suspect that a tuned S&W 686/Jerry Mickulec version will still have a superior action, the Ruger will be more than adequate, and I believe at a lower price point.

Best, Jon

Totem Polar
01-09-2014, 03:21 PM
^^^I've got to chime in and say that the original recipe compact GP100 grip was the best revolver grip I ever fingered. I had a GPNY (NYPD gun, DAO, .38, 4" fixed sights) with that grip; perfection in the hand.

What the hey; this thread needs moar pics:

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab79/Sidheguitarist/mbros/DSCN0932copy_zpsbff09d24.jpg (http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Sidheguitarist/media/mbros/DSCN0932copy_zpsbff09d24.jpg.html)

JonInWA
01-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Yep!

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae343/JonInWA/Ruger%20GP100/DSCN1287.jpg (http://s986.photobucket.com/user/JonInWA/media/Ruger%20GP100/DSCN1287.jpg.html)

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae343/JonInWA/Ruger%20GP100/DSCN1290.jpg (http://s986.photobucket.com/user/JonInWA/media/Ruger%20GP100/DSCN1290.jpg.html)

Best,Jon

NEPAKevin
01-18-2014, 02:28 PM
New set of grips arrived this afternoon from Altamont. They are similar to the old style grips but with checkering on the wood inserts and front and rear rubber.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mbY_kfxvBFE/UtrTqqKpaaI/AAAAAAAAAUk/CHfmWU62qZs/w864-h647-no/102_0002.JPG

JHC
01-18-2014, 03:07 PM
I suppose replacing the fixed rear with a Ruger adjustable rear should be possible? This revolver really appeals to me but as a target/hunting/woods packing gun vs competition and I'd want adjustables.

jetfire
01-18-2014, 05:22 PM
The stock GP100 4 inch has an adjustable sight. It's fairly robust as well.

JHC
01-18-2014, 09:54 PM
The stock GP100 4 inch has an adjustable sight. It's fairly robust as well.

I cannot abide a full under lug. On any revolver, Ruger, Colt or S&W. They're vulgar. ;)

jetfire
01-18-2014, 10:20 PM
Not being a revolver guy, why is that? Is it just an esthetic thing (which is completely valid) or something else?

At least for me, I find them ugly.

JHC
01-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Not being a revolver guy, why is that? Is it just an esthetic thing (which is completely valid) or something else?

90% pure styling and 10% handling with weight hanging out there. I was literally (by age 10) raised with a K-22 and K-38 and love wheelies. Just got different "lines" burned into my preferences.

NEPAKevin
01-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Once upon a time, GP100s were available with either the full or short shroud. It's just a guess, but I would swag that the reason the regular models come with a full shroud is to save machining steps and costs. Kind of like when AR manufacturers standardized on not machining the barrels down and marketed "Heavy Barrels" as a desirable feature.

JHC
01-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Once upon a time, GP100s were available with either the full or short shroud. It's just a guess, but I would swag that the reason the regular models come with a full shroud is to save machining steps and costs. Kind of like when AR manufacturers standardized on not machining the barrels down and marketed "Heavy Barrels" as a desirable feature.

Back in that day were the short shroud GP100s all fixed sight models? Those I do recall.

jetfire
01-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Back in that day were the short shroud GP100s all fixed sight models? Those I do recall.

Yes. They still pop up occasionally on gunbroker.

In related news, my Match Champions shipped on Friday. CURSE YOU, POSTAL HOLIDAY.

NEPAKevin
01-20-2014, 04:00 PM
The short shroud GP100s that I have seen around here were either 4" DAO, factory bobbed hammer, with an integral rear sight or 6" with adjustable rears.

jetfire
01-20-2014, 04:03 PM
Oh man, that reminds me - a couple of years back they did short shroud, adjustable sight five inch guns. Those were the heat.

S391
01-20-2014, 04:19 PM
In related news, my Match Champions shipped on Friday. CURSE YOU, POSTAL HOLIDAY.

I'm curious to hear how they shoot.......

jetfire
01-20-2014, 04:20 PM
I'm curious to hear how they shoot.......

The one I shot at Media Day shot just fine. Better trigger than my stock GP100s, about on par with my old 686 Pro Series.

NEPAKevin
03-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Some GP100 love by Eric Roberts on last night's episode of Justified. :)
Wrong Roads (http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-justified-wrong-roads-operation-working-vacation)

Rich
03-28-2014, 06:44 AM
I bought a GP100 3 and 6inch in the late 80`sto add to my S&W collection of JKL frames.
My very first group with the 6inch had all 6 rds into the x ring and it was over 25yards because my older friends said the 6inch was cheating.

I love the original GP100 grip , made full boat loads easier to handle.

I really fell in love with the 3inch GP100 and carried it AIWB. Bill drills are easy to do with the GP100 when using 38spl or 38spl+P

The only reason I sold it was a good friend needing a good handgun for SD. He later turn around and sold it for El cheapo pot metal 45acp . he claims he likes it better. Rrrr never again

I prefer the S&W looks but the GP 100 is every bit as good as a 686.

03-28-2014, 07:22 PM
My wife has a GP100 with short shroud that is "chambered" in .38 special. It was a trade in from a security company. Got it for an incredible price. She uses it for IDPA.

Totem Polar
03-28-2014, 08:05 PM
My wife has a GP100 with short shroud that is "chambered" in .38 special. It was a trade in from a security company. Got it for an incredible price. She uses it for IDPA.

Speaking of .38-only GPs with compact grips, here's a GPNY of my acquaintance (since more pics is better)

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab79/Sidheguitarist/mbros/DSCN0932copy_zpsbff09d24.jpg (http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Sidheguitarist/media/mbros/DSCN0932copy_zpsbff09d24.jpg.html)

Hizzie
04-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Been eying the Match Champion. Snagged a WC blued. It appears that the sight is a standard Novak. Don't see any reason why an adjustable Novak wouldn't fit.

45dotACP
04-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Been eying the Match Champion. Snagged a WC blued. It appears that the sight is a standard Novak. Don't see any reason why an adjustable Novak wouldn't fit.

Is it blasphemous that I'm curious whether or not a Warren or 10-8 sight would fit that particular dovetail?

jetfire
04-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Is it blasphemous that I'm curious whether or not a Warren or 10-8 sight would fit that particular dovetail?

The rear sight is apparently the Novak .380 sight, so if you can find an adjustable sight for that, it would work.

Hizzie
04-08-2014, 01:29 PM
The rear sight is apparently the Novak .380 sight, so if you can find an adjustable sight for that, it would work.

Per Kevin @ Novak CS:

The rear is a Colt 380 cut and the front is a standard cut but the dovetail is not as wide as a Regular Front sight.

jetfire
04-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Per Kevin @ Novak CS:

That "dovetails" nicely with what I've heard.

YEAAAAHHH

Hizzie
04-08-2014, 05:39 PM
That "dovetails" nicely with what I've heard.

YEAAAAHHH

I figured "Why speculate?" and shot them an email. Got a reply back pretty darn quick. Thinking about upgrading to the 14k gold bead front sight.

Beat Trash
04-09-2014, 05:13 PM
So has anyone shot one of these enough yet to compare them to the standard 4" GP100?

SGT_Calle
04-09-2014, 05:18 PM
So has anyone shot one of these enough yet to compare them to the standard 4" GP100?

I imagine Caleb has and will reply shortly.

jetfire
04-09-2014, 05:26 PM

Out of the box the trigger pull is better on the MC, and the gun "feels" like it balances a bit better without the full underlug. The flip side is that the choice of a fixed rear sight (the Novak) over an adjustable rear is baffling on a gun intended for competition, where shooters are going to use different bullet weights and powder charges.

backtrail540
04-10-2020, 03:54 PM
For those that don't care for the half lug MC for some reason, there is a more vanilla MC that has plain hogues and a full lug while still maintaining the slab sides.

https://ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/specSheets/1786.html

Totem Polar
04-10-2020, 04:12 PM
For those that don't care for the half lug MC for some reason, there is a more vanilla MC that has plain hogues and a full lug while still maintaining the slab sides.

Epic necropost. But, man, that Talo GP MC looks good.

backtrail540
04-10-2020, 04:19 PM
Epic necropost. But, man, that Talo GP MC looks good.

I didn't want to start a new thread and figured the match champion thread worked, despite age. After all, it IS a New Ruger Gp100 Match Champion :cool:

rd62
04-10-2020, 05:07 PM
Has the adjustable rear that Caleb called out earlier too.

OlongJohnson
04-10-2020, 11:09 PM
The half lug GPMC has been available with both fixed and adjustable sights for a long time. I went with the adjustable because it leaves the door open to use a Bowen Rough Country sight, which I would have sighted in if not for the pandemic.

Personally, I no longer own any GP100s that are not half-lug.

msstate56
04-11-2020, 12:31 AM
This is hilarious to me. I was just checking out the new GP100 “plain” MC two days ago after years of not even bothering with my revolvers. I’m one that prefers a full underlug, and prefer rubber Hogue’s over wood. This new one is just what I want. I bought a stainless 3” “Wiley Clapp” GP100 used years ago. It has become my favorite revolver, more so than my S&W 686.

RONK
04-11-2020, 08:04 AM
Thank you backtrail540,I had no idea this existed.Like msstate56,I want one too.Our main TALO distributor is currently out of them but I did back order it.Thank you again and thank you all,I very much enjoy the Revolver Forums on P-F.

HCM
04-11-2020, 12:49 PM

Does this use the regular GP 100 front sight ?

The limited options for the Novak front kind of sucks.

JonInWA
04-11-2020, 01:50 PM

Looks like it to me; the cut (longer than that on the Novak's) and the plunger for the sight release (which isn't there on the Novak front-sighted GP100s) look like it, and it's Ruger's standard adjustable rear sight.

Best, Jon

Jared
04-12-2020, 03:16 PM

Novak now has more options on their website, including tritium with orange and yellow rings. I’ve got a brace of Match Champions and I’m trying to decide how I want them setup currently.

HCM
04-12-2020, 03:36 PM
Novak now has more options on their website, including tritium with orange and yellow rings. I’ve got a brace of Match Champions and I’m trying to decide how I want them setup currently.

Good to know. The FO on the factory Novak is just too big.

OlongJohnson
04-12-2020, 04:28 PM
Good to know. The FO on the factory Novak is just too big.

Agreed. (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22586-GP100-Match-Champion-sight-options&p=687475&viewfull=1#post687475)

Zeke38
04-12-2020, 09:08 PM
I've owned this MC 357 for several years, it's one of several 357s I own. A great General Purpose revolver with a Novak front night sight and an adjustable rear. My favorite field gun.

https://i.imgur.com/KSiV5Hg.jpg

OlongJohnson
04-12-2020, 10:15 PM
My version of that is why my K frame stable went from three to zero.

jetfire
04-13-2020, 08:23 AM

SON OF A...I had the whole set! Now I don't and that's very annoying.

45dotACP
04-13-2020, 01:10 PM
My version of that is why my K frame stable went from three to zero.I say this as a dude who spent a lot of time shooting a K frame...

But the Ruger GP100 is just better.

For me that is. The adjustable nature of the grips because of the grip peg allows me to get my finger on the trigger better. It has better durability and controllability with magnum ammo and there are no silly locks to contend with. I've shot it side by side with a model 66 and the trigger on the Smith was probably a little better, but the ergos were not such that I shot it better than the Ruger.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Inkwell 41
04-13-2020, 01:15 PM
I kind of like this new development. Since I have no revolvers in my life, maybe this would be a good choice for a first.

Zeke38
04-14-2020, 11:59 AM
I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Totem Polar
04-14-2020, 12:44 PM
Folks, I can’t get this new Talo MC out of my mind.

It doesn’t help that I have a set of lett’s compact grips, maybe a dozen 586 speedloaders, and a wide assortment of unused wolff springs laying around from my days of Ioweganing GPNYs and SPNYs, but no DA Rugers.

ralph
04-14-2020, 07:38 PM

It doesn’t help that I have a set of lett’s compact grips, maybe a dozen 586 speedloaders, and a wide assortment of unused wolff springs laying around from my days of Ioweganing GPNYs and SPNYs, but no DA Rugers.

Well, knowing the enabling nature of this board, there’s only one thing to do..Having succumbed to the same thing while reading the thread about 3” GP-100’s in .44 special, I now have a brand new one sitting on my desk as I type this, awaiting brass from Starline.. To make matters worse, I ordered a Sourdough Pancake holster for it (oxblood, w/straps for IWB ) from Simply Rugged Holsters yesterday, after I checked my bank accounts online, and saw that my stimulus check was going to be deposited tomorrow..

Zeke38
04-14-2020, 07:45 PM
Have Wolff 10/10 in mine and it likes to cut nice concentric groups with 173gr Keiths sitting atop of a healthy dose of 2400. This is for Sidheshooter in case her forgot how well GPs like 357 loads.:rolleyes:

OlongJohnson
04-14-2020, 09:32 PM

My vote is still with the Lipsey's five-inch blued half lug from a couple years back.

Totem Polar
04-14-2020, 10:56 PM
My vote is still with the Lipsey's five-inch blued half lug from a couple years back.

That really was the first smokin’ hot looking GP100, IMHO.

jetfire
04-15-2020, 11:34 AM
That really was the first smokin’ hot looking GP100, IMHO.

The 10mm version of that gun is really nice. Grips on the one I had are kind of junky but they got replaced with a quickness.

Nephrology
04-16-2020, 04:08 PM
This is hilarious to me. I was just checking out the new GP100 “plain” MC two days ago after years of not even bothering with my revolvers. I’m one that prefers a full underlug, and prefer rubber Hogue’s over wood. This new one is just what I want. I bought a stainless 3” “Wiley Clapp” GP100 used years ago. It has become my favorite revolver, more so than my S&W 686.

I have many wants for the 3" WC and the new full lug 4" MC.

Inkwell 41
04-18-2020, 10:54 AM
A not so quick email to Ruger Customer Service verifies that the front sight is standard GP100 fare. Beyond that, the only other differences between the TALO version and a standard adjustable rear sight GP100 Match Champion are the full under lug and grips.

LittleLebowski
12-28-2020, 05:14 PM
Is the half lug too heavy for carry?

BehindBlueI's
12-28-2020, 05:20 PM

I've never found it to be so.

Lester Polfus
12-28-2020, 06:22 PM

I tote the full lug, 4" version on the regular. IIRC the weight is within a skosh of an all steel, 5" 1911, so there's that.

45dotACP
12-28-2020, 07:05 PM
Is the half lug too heavy for carry?I can carry a full lug 4" geep in a simply rugged holster with IWB loops and it's comfy as heck

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

revchuck38
12-28-2020, 07:09 PM
My 4" M681 is no problem, about the same weight as the GP-100.

OlongJohnson
12-28-2020, 07:53 PM

Have you not settled this yet, or are you already shopping #2?

Been doing some dry fire work again with my slicked-up MC and it is just a joy to operate.

LittleLebowski
12-28-2020, 07:59 PM
Have you not settled this yet, or are you already shopping #2?

Been doing some dry fire work again with my slicked-up MC and it is just a joy to operate.

Finding what I want in stock and in my price range is a right pain. However, I am committed after scoring 8lbs of BE-86 at non-inflated price.

03RN
12-28-2020, 08:19 PM
Finding what I want in stock and in my price range is a right pain. However, I am committed after scoring 8lbs of BE-86 at non-inflated price.

Im about to go load up a bunch of .38s with that be-86 myself.

jtcarm
12-28-2020, 08:28 PM

I pack mine in the field or shooting IDPA in one of these:

https://www.giholsters.com/product-p/hst1000.htm