PDA

View Full Version : Sig SRT Trigger

WDW
06-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Is there anything about the SRT Trigger System in Sigs that is less reliable or durable than a standard Sig trigger? Nothing specific, but I have seen this alluded to by some on here with nothing specific to back it up.

DonovanM
06-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I've never heard anything of the sort, even from the end-all be-all SIG expert, Bruce Gray. I'm certainly interested to hear.

John Hearne
06-06-2011, 01:58 PM
The SRT simply replaces the safety lever and sear with different parts. Unless one of those parts fails, there's no reason the SRT shouldn't be as reliable.

As someone who's played around with a number of guns at work, I will say that simply dropping the SRT parts into an existing Sig makes for a very nasty trigger. The parts have to "wear" into each other and that whole process takes a while. If I wanted a very shootable SRT in an existing gun, I'd consider buying the parts and then having an action job done to fit everything.

The other consideration with the SRT is that it changes the "timing" of the trigger. You get a lot more overtravel with the SRT parts. If you put an overtravel stop on a SRT trigger then you have a very, very short reset. If you use a steel frame, then welding something on the back of the trigger works fine. With aluminum frame guns, you'll need to use something softer than aluminum. I ended up using weed whacker rod to make the one on my P245.

JV_
06-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Is it true that there's more creep (sear engagement) in the SRT system?

ToddG
06-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Is there anything about the SRT Trigger System in Sigs that is less reliable or durable than a standard Sig trigger? Nothing specific, but I have seen this alluded to by some on here with nothing specific to back it up.

No.

I had one of the first prototypes that I ran hard for more than 10,000 rounds and never saw a single problem. I wouldn't choose to use a SIG DA/SA pistol without the SRT installed unless I was required by work, etc., to carry a non-SRT SIG part of the time.

WDW
06-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Cool! Thanks guys. Guess I was just reading into things too much.

TGS
06-06-2011, 05:44 PM
T

As someone who's played around with a number of guns at work, I will say that simply dropping the SRT parts into an existing Sig makes for a very nasty trigger. The parts have to "wear" into each other and that whole process takes a while. If I wanted a very shootable SRT in an existing gun, I'd consider buying the parts and then having an action job done to fit everything.

This is interesting. A buddy of mine here in Va is a Sig armorer and put a SRT in his 229 and 220. He doesn't shoot that much, probably 150 rounds a month or so. His 220 was also almost brand new when I shot it, and I was astounded. It was awesome. Same with his 229.

I'm gaining a P239 this week and was thinking about a SRT for it, but am more inclined to try the DAK. I think it'd be better for my girlfriend, and I'd also like to try it. I'm also trying to find an LEM kit to convert my SA/DA P2000......trying a few rounds out of JV's light LEM P30 got me curious.