PDA

View Full Version : Georgia School District Gets Patrol Rifles

Chemsoldier
12-18-2013, 04:10 PM
http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/section/6/article/92974/

Basically a Georgia School District is going halvsies with the Police Department providing the resources for their SROs to put patrol rifles into biometric safes in the SRO office.

I personally see nothing wrong with it, but as a general principal I think more good guys with guns of dang near any type would be better than the same number of armed personnel with access to a patrol rifle.

There are a lot of odd pots of money out there though, so if they got a grant or something for weapons and not for personnel and all the road personnel had them you might as well make it so the SROs can have them in their schools. In the end though, the odds that an SRO would have the time to get it into play in a...wait for it...dynamic dritical incident seems pretty remote with current active shooter doctrine.

jlw
12-18-2013, 04:14 PM
On the whole, the GPD is a very well run and professional outfit.

Suvorov
12-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Walked by a patrol car parked in front of the school 3 doors down and the school that my son's will attend if I stay in Kalifornia. I can't really say how comforted I was to see an AR w/20 rounder between the front seats.

jlw
12-18-2013, 08:58 PM
One other thing I should point out is that this illustrates the difference between city police and a Sheriff's Office. The Sheriff runs the place, not the governing authority.

SeriousStudent
12-18-2013, 09:21 PM
When I think about the long hallways, libraries, gyms and cafeterias, I'm glad they have some rifles.

Suvorov
12-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Walked by a patrol car parked in front of the school 3 doors down and the school that my son's will attend if I stay in Kalifornia. I can't really say how comforted I was to see an AR w/20 rounder between the front seats.

Meant to say that I WAS very comforted.

jlw
12-18-2013, 09:34 PM
When I think about the long hallways, libraries, gyms and cafeterias, I'm glad they have some rifles.

I heard about a county that recently built a 225 yard range. The reason they chose that distance was because it matched the distance of the longest hallway in their schools.

GardoneVT
12-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Glad to see a school district learning from history, for a change.

Why is it that a school district understands the need for patrol rifles on the building grounds, but most DoD bases do not? :confused:

LSP552
12-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Rifles + Training = A Great Thing

I'm glad to see a school district actually considering more guns as a good thing.

Ken

SeriousStudent
12-19-2013, 12:14 AM
I heard about a county that recently built a 225 yard range. The reason they chose that distance was because it matched the distance of the longest hallway in their schools.

That sounds like very smart lawmen to me. If you happen to see any of them (Oh, say at work or looking in the mirror) thank them for us.