PDA

View Full Version : Auto-5 Fans?

BLR
12-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Grabbed a nice prewar (full choke, of course :( ) 12ga to go squirrel hunting with this PM. Pics to follow.

Tamara
12-16-2013, 05:04 PM
I sometimes miss mine, but I'm not really shotgun people, so I do get a lot more use out of the K-22 Combat Masterpiece it turned into.

Lester Polfus
12-16-2013, 05:20 PM
You probably already know this, but on the off chance you dont':

Don't shoot steel shot through it.

Nice shotgun.

BLR
12-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Wouldn't dare!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Lester Polfus
12-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Oops. When you first posted that, I missed that it was the engineery guy. I'm sure you did know that.

NETim
12-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Meh. Another antiquated JMB design. The next thing you'll be touting is that lousy little .22 auto rifle he cobbled together.

:)

Tamara
12-16-2013, 06:20 PM
The next thing you'll be touting is that lousy little .22 auto rifle he cobbled together.

Y'know, while it's mechanically an elegant little gun, it does not bother me to not own one. I think it's an aesthetic holdover from when I thought the size ratio of stock-to-receiver made it look like Zippy the Rimfire. :o

(The Winchester 1890, OTOH, makes me all weak in the knees, and the Remington Model 8 is the official longarm of the steampunk army.)

BLR
12-16-2013, 06:32 PM
I killed my first rabbit with a 241 :cool:

Tamara
12-16-2013, 06:57 PM
I killed my first rabbit with a 241 :cool:

241's not as bad as the O.G. FN/Browning; I think it's the angle of the stock comb and less-bulbous forearm that help the 241.

NETim
12-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Y'know, while it's mechanically an elegant little gun, it does not bother me to not own one. I think it's an aesthetic holdover from when I thought the size ratio of stock-to-receiver made it look like Zippy the Rimfire. :o

(The Winchester 1890, OTOH, makes me all weak in the knees, and the Remington Model 8 is the official longarm of the steampunk army.)

Make mine the 62a.

Joe in PNG
12-17-2013, 02:28 AM
I once refinished the stocks on my uncle's. It was well worn, so no real loss of value, and he still hunts with the thing.

My dad had a really nice one, but sadly had to sell it during a rough patch during my childhood.

One of these days...

NEPAKevin
12-17-2013, 02:50 PM
I horse traded a guy who I used to work with two truck tires, a case of Rotella T, and half an anchovie pizza for an Auto-5. True Story. :)

BaiHu
12-17-2013, 03:06 PM
I horse traded a guy who I used to work with two truck tires, a case of Rotella T, and half an anchovie pizza for an Auto-5. True Story. :)

If that ain't the beginning of a romance novel :p

Tamara
12-17-2013, 04:05 PM
I think I should clarify my earlier statement by pointing out that my humpback shotgun was a good, God-fearin' 'Murrican Model 11 with a flaming pisspot on the receiver, and not some frou-frou import. ;)

Clyde from Carolina
12-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Like Tamara, my A-5 was a Remington 11. (Good enough for Askins and all.) Mine shot fine, but I'm more a Model 12 Winchester guy when it comes to classic repeating shotguns. Still, I wish I had a nice Auto-5. I'm jealous.

My Aunt's husband hunted with A-5s a lot back in the 1940s through the early 1980s -- and he was a serious woods bum and hunter-- and he always swore by them. I still kick myself I didn't buy one of his old Belgian guns when I had the chance.

Clyde from Carolina
12-17-2013, 08:56 PM
If that ain't the beginning of a romance novel :p

Dang, or a good/bad country song at least. Work mama and a train in there somehow and you're home free.

SamAdams
01-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Auto 5s, side by side doubleguns, Model 12s - especially in 16 gauge, and little Model 62 pump rimfires ..... all good stuff ! :)

NETim
01-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Well before my time:

http://frontiernet.net/~netim/Mdl61.jpg

SamAdams
01-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Great ad ! The dollar was definitely worth something back then. My 62 is an amazingly accurate little rifle. Like so many old classic guns, they paid attention to 'feel' - great handling characteristics. Its a fun rifle to do some plinking with.

Rich@CCC
01-20-2014, 09:28 PM
My first decent trap gun was a Savage 720/A5 clone. I love that gun! I have my sights set on a 12ga Browning A5 at the LGS, just waiting for it to get a little more shelf time before I make an offer.

UNM1136
01-28-2014, 01:03 AM
I just inherited my Great Granddad's A5 Lightweight 12, with instructions that my son gets it, or failing that, my oldest grandson. It came in a leather and rabbit hide suitcase, with another barrel... Granddad was a pheasant hunting machine from Kansas, and when he bought the shotgun he decided that the Cylinder bore was too open for pheasant, and the Full was too tight, so he had a barrel custom honed to be "in-between". When I got it it had been in my dad's care for just over 3 years. Granddad gave it to Grandpa (the only son), Grandpa left it dad (the oldest son), my dad gave it to me (the oldest son), and my son is the only son. A little sexist, I will just have to start a similar tradition with my daughters.

While my grandpa and dad had had the gun the climate was not as controlled as it should have been, and there is some surface rust on the barrels, specifically the hoods and muzzles that appears strictly cosmetic. I am working diligently to remove that rust without damaging what is quite possibly the best bluing I have ever seen. I will be touching it up, because collector value doesn't mean much to me, my dad made promise to use it and to leave it to someone who will use it.

pat

Chuck Haggard
01-28-2014, 08:41 AM
The only Auto 5 I have ever shot was the former issued shotgun for a retired KS trooper I know.

He carried that in the car at work during the same time frame that he was issued a 38-44 as his "service revolver".

I thought that was a really cool combo, especially since in addition his "patrol rifle" that wasn't officially in the car was an M1 carbine.

Malamute
01-28-2014, 11:32 AM
My dad had a Remington model 11 in 20 ga way back when. I shot it a bit, but was more of a rifle and pistol shooter. Dad ended up trading off the 11. I asked about it a few times after he got back into shooting in the 90's and I was shooting some with him. He said he'd traded it to so-and-so ages ago. A couple years ago, he said "Hey, I ran into so-and-so and asked about that Remington, he still had it, so I got it back". It's back in the family now, and happily shooting clays from time to time.

MGW
01-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Auto 5s, side by side doubleguns, Model 12s - especially in 16 gauge, and little Model 62 pump rimfires ..... all good stuff ! :)

I have a model 12 that was handed down to me from my dad. It has a second pigeon grade forward action with it that used to have a veri-choke on it. The finish on the original parts is very thin and very difficult to keep rust off of. If I hold the barrel upright and hit the release the action will fall open. I don't hunt with it anymore but it's really a neat shotgun. More sentimental value than anything.

Grizzly21
02-10-2014, 12:44 AM
I have never owned an A5 but I have a 1897 Winchester in the safe when the need arises for an old school scatter gun. I have a couple of old SXS also and would love to run across an old Hump Back one day along with a Remington Model 81.