PDA

View Full Version : The Silverado versus Ram discussion has been ended (mildly graphic)

LittleLebowski
12-15-2013, 02:52 PM
http://www.humansandnature.org/filebin/images/minding-nature/may2012/FIG_6_Montana_bighorn_Sandra_Jacobson.jpg

JM Campbell
12-15-2013, 04:01 PM
http://www.humansandnature.org/filebin/images/minding-nature/may2012/FIG_6_Montana_bighorn_Sandra_Jacobson.jpg

Looks like he went down fighting!

MD7305
12-15-2013, 04:02 PM
That's great, I'm sending this to all my Dodge buddies.

-On a side note, that has to be the greatest LE uniform ever. I could handle wearing that everyday.

DocGKR
12-15-2013, 04:34 PM
"On a side note, that has to be the greatest LE uniform ever. I could handle wearing that everyday."

Concur!

Now the important question, who gets the meat?

jlw
12-15-2013, 04:38 PM
-On a side note, that has to be the greatest LE uniform ever. I could handle wearing that everyday.

Concur!

Amen. I keep giving lip service to having a "Longmire Day", but the patrol captain might stoke out.

LHS
12-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Concur!

That was my first thought.

peterb
12-15-2013, 04:59 PM

In our area, the driver has the first option to take the animal(usually deer, sometimes moose) unless there's a problem with the event(DUI, violation, etc.). If the driver doesn't want it our dispatch keeps a list of people who do.

jlw
12-15-2013, 05:08 PM
The deputy must have been working the wreck as properly equipped patrol trucks have critter catchers on them. :D

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g472/chiefweems3102/crittercatcher_zpscad2e481.jpg

RoyGBiv
12-15-2013, 08:10 PM
I don't think that vest is gonna stop any bullets. Looks comfy though.

JDM
12-15-2013, 08:13 PM
That's great, I'm sending this to all my Dodge buddies.

The Game and Fish guys in NM wear jeans as well, however they have to be black.

ToddG
12-15-2013, 08:19 PM

That's got to be an EEOC violation.

DocGKR
12-15-2013, 08:32 PM
"I don't think that vest is gonna stop any bullets."

One of the nice things about such attire, is that he could have low profile rifle plates under there, let alone soft armor and it would be difficult to see...

ST911
12-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Bighorn sheep are delicious.

On disposition... Most states allow transfer of certain roadkill to the motorist, or to another eligible recipient. However, it's usually limited to the more common species with less restrictive hunts like deer, antelope, small game that are a dime a dozen. Salvaged big game in significant demand or competitive draws like elk, goats, cougars, bear, etc or those that under federal protections seem to go mostly to meat lockers for benefit programs or to other public use.

jlw
12-16-2013, 03:37 PM
I cropped out all of the other stuff and posted a picture of just the deputy to our SO Facebook change and requested opinions on a proposed uniform change. :cool:

Chuck Haggard
12-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Ram looks sleepy, I'm sure he's tired after that fight.

David Armstrong
12-16-2013, 04:57 PM
I cropped out all of the other stuff and posted a picture of just the deputy to our SO Facebook change and requested opinions on a proposed uniform change. :cool:
One of the great benefits to working with a rural SO was that we only had to wear the pretty uniforms for the day shift. If you had evenings or nights jeans were considered perfectly acceptable.

JFK
12-16-2013, 05:17 PM

Leave it up to BOM to make it racial....

xdtact
12-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Not baaad.

http://youtu.be/Tt6C6P3bJq8

Dagga Boy
12-17-2013, 07:56 AM
My dream is a uniform like that as Sheriff or Chief of "Nowwhere, USA". I could have an old Bronco patrol vehicle and my office would be the last stool at the counter of the hardware store. If anyone knows of an opening, I ll send a resume.

jlw
12-17-2013, 09:07 AM
My dream is a uniform like that as Sheriff or Chief of "Nowwhere, USA". I could have an old Bronco patrol vehicle and my office would be the last stool at the counter of the hardware store. If anyone knows of an opening, I ll send a resume.

True story: one of my cop buddies was on vacation in the NC mountains. He and his lady friend were at a bar. One of the local cops pulled up in his patrol car, came inside at which time the karaoke machine was fired up and said cop performed a couple of numbers, spent a few minutes chatting up the patrons, and then gave a hardy, "Well, I guess I had better get back to work." and left. Apparently, this is a regular thing there.

---

another one of my cop buddies and I had a conversation as to the ideal agency:

We decided it would be a rural community near a major highway or interstate. When bored, one could go work traffic on the highway. The added bonus would be that locals would say, "He sure keeps those city folk passing through from causing trouble...". The phone would ring at home, and it would be the dispatcher saying, "Joe backed into Bill's car." You would know exactly who Joe and Bill are, and would respond with, "Well, tell them to come by the house this afternoon, and we'll fill out the paperwork."

Chuck Haggard
12-17-2013, 09:29 AM
I have no idea where we were at then, someplace driving distance from Ft. Rucker, but I was with my dad when we visited one of his Vietnam buddies who was now a cop. They were all wearing uniform shirts over jeans, had the gun belts with the cowboy style bullet loops, and his friend had a jeep for a "patrol car", with a 30-30 in the rack instead of a shotgun. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I'd love to find a job somewhere that I can wear the junior Texas Ranger outfit like a guy I ran in to at a recent training from western Kansas. Big ass hat, uniform shirt, jeans, roper boots, hand tooled brown leather, 1911 with scrimshashed grips. Was driving a really nicely set up 4x4 F150

I could easily heard cows off of the highway instead of drunks off of the bar parking lot post bar fight, etc.

peterb
12-17-2013, 10:35 AM
I have no idea where we were at then, someplace driving distance from Ft. Rucker, but I was with my dad when we visited one of his Vietnam buddies who was now a cop. They were all wearing uniform shirts over jeans, had the gun belts with the cowboy style bullet loops, and his friend had a jeep for a "patrol car", with a 30-30 in the rack instead of a shotgun. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I'd love to find a job somewhere that I can wear the junior Texas Ranger outfit like a guy I ran in to at a recent training from western Kansas. Big ass hat, uniform shirt, jeans, roper boots, hand tooled brown leather, 1911 with scrimshashed grips. Was driving a really nicely set up 4x4 F150

I could easily heard cows off of the highway instead of drunks off of the bar parking lot post bar fight, etc.

Sounds a bit like a Fish & Game officer: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Law_Enforcement/careers.html

"No doubt about it, this job is tough. You will see new challenges everyday that can be demanding both mentally and physically. One day you might be sitting in the woods trying to catch a fisherman who’s taken over his share, while the next day you might be hiking up Tuckerman’s Ravine helping find a lost hiker. Then again you could be backing up a local police officer with a domestic dispute or searching for a suicidal subject with a weapon. Variety is what keeps this career appealing and stimulating."

"You are assigned a four-wheel drive truck, boat, snowmobile, ATV, cell phone, GPS, digital camera, and a variety of other clothing and state-of-the-art equipment necessary for out-of-doors law enforcement and search and rescue work."

ST911
12-17-2013, 10:42 AM

True story: one of my cop buddies was on vacation in the NC mountains. He and his lady friend were at a bar. One of the local cops pulled up in his patrol car, came inside at which time the karaoke machine was fired up and said cop performed a couple of numbers, spent a few minutes chatting up the patrons, and then gave a hardy, "Well, I guess I had better get back to work." and left. Apparently, this is a regular thing there.
---

We decided it would be a rural community near a major highway or interstate. When bored, one could go work traffic on the highway. The added bonus would be that locals would say, "He sure keeps those city folk passing through from causing trouble...". The phone would ring at home, and it would be the dispatcher saying, "Joe backed into Bill's car." You would know exactly who Joe and Bill are, and would respond with, "Well, tell them to come by the house this afternoon, and we'll fill out the paperwork."

There are towns like that all over Wyoming, the Dakotas, and Nebraska. Job security is often iffy and politics can abound, but if you find the right niche for yourself life is pretty good.

jlw
12-17-2013, 10:48 AM

It's good work if you can get it.

NickA
12-17-2013, 12:26 PM

---

The last time I got pulled over was by a small town cop (he may have been the entire PD), who was also the local Elvis impersonator. It was funny to see gold shades and mutton chops over a badge :D

Chuck Haggard
12-17-2013, 02:55 PM
I just remembered the text pic I got from a bud who used to work at my job, moved to the feds and ended up a park service guy (I think, one of the fish and game type fed jobs....).

So anyway, he gets assigned to Alaska, and one day he sends me a pic of being on "routine patrol" in plain clothes, .44mag in a chest holster, in his canoe, and fishing for salmon to fit in while trying to catch a local poacher. I get a pic of dude in a canoe, smiling, holding up a big ass salmon, with a follow-on text betting me he was having a better day at work than I was.

He won.

98z28
12-17-2013, 03:26 PM
---

I've worked at that department. It was glorious. It was a small municipal PD (three sworn officers including the chief) that served a small, but growing town. After spending a few years working patrol, public housing, and a crime suppression unit in a busy town, the slow down was beautiful.

True story: I went the first three shifts at said department without a single radio call. Not one.

My first call, which came about an hour into the fourth shift, was from a motorist complaining about a cow in the road. I kitten you not.

We had a busy highway and an interstate running through town. Both were notorious for moving large amounts of dope. We made several sizeable seizures of cash and dope.

There was plenty to do if you wanted to be proactive, or you could just go watch the little league game. You know, so there was an police presence at the important town event. :)

Everyone knew us and we knew everyone. It was awesome. I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Maybe when I retire...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

David Armstrong
12-18-2013, 11:53 AM

---

FWIW there are plenty of those types of departments out there. Small agencies, often only 3 or 4 officers, out in the boondocks to some extent. Lots of folks don't realize it but a majority of LE agencies in the U.S. consist of less than 10 officers. Something nice about being able to pick up the phone and make a call: "Hi, Joe, how's going? Wife and kids doing OK? Listen, I got a warrant for your arrest, would you mind coming in this afternoon so we can serve it? Yeah, 3:00 will be good. See you then."

LittleLebowski
12-18-2013, 11:55 AM
I just remembered the text pic I got from a bud who used to work at my job, moved to the feds and ended up a park service guy (I think, one of the fish and game type fed jobs....).

Federal coyote hunter is my dream job.

Chuck Haggard
12-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Federal coyote hunter is my dream job.

Locally we have some dudes who come in every year and shoot wild pigs from a helicopter.

That job would rock.

jlw
12-18-2013, 11:58 AM
FWIW there are plenty of those types of departments out there. Small agencies, often only 3 or 4 officers, out in the boondocks to some extent. Lots of folks don't realize it but a majority of LE agencies in the U.S. consist of less than 10 officers. Something nice about being able to pick up the phone and make a call: "Hi, Joe, how's going? Wife and kids doing OK? Listen, I got a warrant for your arrest, would you mind coming in this afternoon so we can serve it? Yeah, 3:00 will be good. See you then."

Ours is very much as described, but the agency where I worked at the time wasn't.