PDA

View Full Version : Store Credit to Burn...need help shopping...

BaiHu
06-04-2011, 02:56 PM
I have $1100 in credit (long story).

I have an HK P30L and HK45.

There is a used USP Compact 40 (w/3 12 rd mags) for $700 that I might be able to get cheaper and I'd like some advice on whether that's a good way to go (I have a case of 40 at home) or do you guys suggest another make/model etc.

For instance, I love my P30L and HK45 so much that I'd even be interested in going deeper into 9mm and 45 territory with a USP or P30 and just sell the case of 40 to a friend of mine who would want it all.

Since I'll have some money left over, I'd be interested in going for a revolver, b/c I haven't shot one since I was a kid and I'm wondering if it is a worth while practice tool.

I would like to get into competitions and maybe instructing in the future and especially some of the classes I've come across on the forum.

I am not LEO or military, and I live in NJ, so daily carry is really not an option...yet (I can dream :))

Thanks for virtual shopping with me.

JV_
06-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I would get a bunch of ammo for your P30 or HK45.

Kyle Reese
06-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Ammo.

BaiHu
06-04-2011, 03:17 PM
I know you can never have enough ammo, but I have about a case of each on hand right now--shooting season-LOL! *looks around* mmm...maybe a case of each isn't enough?? :o

JV_
06-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Most 2 day pistol classes will require a case of ammo ....

Seriously, you already have 2 fantastic guns. Pick one gun that you want to get proficient with, buy a ton of ammo for it, and take some quality training classes.

BaiHu
06-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Very fair advice, JV. Sold! I'll take it...

BaiHu
06-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Almost forgot...speaking of classes. Do you have a recommendation for a holster that would fit the HK45 AND P30L? If I had to choose only one, then I'd probably get one for the P30L.

jslaker
06-04-2011, 03:53 PM
That strikes me as high for a USPc. I paid about $575 used for mine 3 years ago, at a LGS that's a bit notorious for high prices. Hell, last time I was in there, they were dumping a couple of brand new two-tone USPcs that they'd had forever on clearance for like $675ish IIRC.

I'd have to echo the sentiment of put most of it into ammo.

Maybe have them order some nice sights for the guns you already have since stock HK sights
http://i.imgur.com/yF21C.jpg

ranburr
06-04-2011, 05:17 PM
I say get the gun. A lot of people advocate picking one caliber and sticking with it. I personally believe in lots of calibers chambered in similar platforms. This proved very valuable for me during the recent ammo shortages. I was still shooting when others could not. At one point I was training with 9mm Largo. But, I was still able to train.

LittleLebowski
06-04-2011, 05:30 PM
I say get the gun. A lot of people advocate picking one caliber and sticking with it. I personally believe in lots of calibers chambered in similar platforms. This proved very valuable for me during the recent ammo shortages. I was still shooting when others could not. At one point I was training with 9mm Largo. But, I was still able to train.

How does that top stockpiling one type of ammo? Would you rather have 4 cases of different types or 4 cases of one type?

SecondsCount
06-04-2011, 05:51 PM
The ammo seems like the logical choice and/or a standard P30.

That strikes me as high for a USPc.....

Seems high to me also. My local gunshop has a USP 40 in excellent shape for $500 with two mags, I don't see how a compact could be that much more.

Could you take the credit in the form of a gift certificate card and use it as needed?

JV_
06-04-2011, 05:53 PM
At one point I was training with 9mm Largo. But, I was still able to train.Out of curiosity: With what kind of gun, and what points of marksmanship, were you training with a 9x23?

Kyle Reese
06-04-2011, 06:03 PM

I'm going to have to disagree here. There's alot to be said for ammunition commonality in conjunction with platform consolidation.

DannyZRC
06-04-2011, 06:26 PM
if it interests you, a reloading press?

that's like buying ammo^ammo, instead of just ammo.

JV_
06-04-2011, 06:35 PM
if it interests you, a reloading press?another good option.

ranburr
06-04-2011, 06:57 PM
If you can't buy 9mm, .40, or .45 how do you stockpile it? When I couldn't get primary calibers I always found a case of either .357 Sig, 10mm, . .38 Super, and even the above mentioned 9mm Largo. The Largo was shot out of a Star Super Modelo ( surprisingly good gun that mimicked a 1911 close enough).

JV_
06-04-2011, 07:02 PM
If you can't buy 9mm, .40, or .45 how do you stockpile it?

You stock up BEFORE supply issues come up, not after. It's much easier to do when you don't own 20 calibers. I have 2, 9mm and .22.

ranburr
06-04-2011, 07:43 PM
You stock up BEFORE supply issues come up, not after. It's much easier to do when you don't own 20 calibers. I have 2, 9mm and .22.

You get 5-10k rounds it doesn't take long to run thru your stockpile. I prefer to have as many options as possible. To each his own.

JV_
06-04-2011, 07:53 PM
You get 5-10k rounds it doesn't take long to run thru your stockpile.If the stockpile isn't big enough to last a reasonable amount of time, make it bigger.

To each his own.Yes, we're clearly not going to agree on this.

Kyle Reese
06-04-2011, 07:53 PM
You get 5-10k rounds it doesn't take long to run thru your stockpile. I prefer to have as many options as possible. To each his own.

Does your local Wally-World stock 9mm Largo?

Additionally, all of this hand wringing can be mitigated by procuring a quality reloading press and rolling your own during proverbial ammo droughts. When purchasing ammo or components, forecast your consumption needs based on your training schedule, etc and add 20% to that for storage for just such an occasion. You'll never be the guy you see at the gun shop the day of _______ Crisis scrounging for that lone box of ______.

ranburr
06-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Does your local Wally-World stock 9mm Largo?

No. But, I live close to "Ammo To Go" and they have pretty much always stocked it. I have zero interest in reloading. Finally, as I stated above, I never went without ammo due to the options that I have.

jslaker
06-04-2011, 08:38 PM
I live close to "Ammo To Go"

So. Jealous.

Nik the Greek
06-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Why not a longarm to supplement your hanguns, if you don't already own one?

CCT125US
06-04-2011, 11:40 PM
My vote goes toward the reloading press.... if that is an option or desire. I buy factory when prices and paranoia are low and reload when cost and percieved trouble is high. I believe in options when it comes to caliber. You just have to be willing to put in the work and mental energy to produce a safe and quility round. Reloading is not for those challenged in mechanical processes. For example if you have never looked under the hood of your car.... you may not want to jump into a progressive press right away. However with that being said, if you are confident in your ability to learn something new and have the time needed to learn properly and safely, go for it. My wife and I would not be able to shoot nearly as much if I did not reload. FYI my current component cost is $7.23 / 50 9mm. Current low price in my area of Ohio is $11.99 for AE 115 GR FMJ. Not a huge cost savings per box but over the course of what we shot last year my wife was able to pick up her P30..... well worth it IMO

BaiHu
06-05-2011, 12:02 AM
All good points.

Yes, I have 3 long arms that I'm satisfied with.

I would like to hear any thoughts on holsters that work for classes/competitions-specifically a holster for the HK45 or P30L.

Thanks for all the entertainment/info ;)

JMorse
06-05-2011, 01:10 AM
If you're in need of cash, perhaps offer the credit on craigslist with the caveat you'll be there in store with the buyer as they use it so they'd feel safe. You could probably get a nice percentage of the value that way.