PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Harbor Day

Spr1
12-07-2013, 05:34 PM
I stopped by Bass Pro today, after dropping my wife off at the airport, to check for ammo, etc. and was looking over the counter at the rim fire ammunition right next to the cash register, a Bass Pro employee and two customers about 40 years old.

The Bass Pro guy asks the two checking out if they knew what day it was. They appeared clueless, so the counter guy offers that it is December 7th. He asks them what happened that day and they were lost. He turned to me and I of course answered the question.

An educated society is essential to a functioning republic.

We are screwed.

SeriousStudent
12-07-2013, 07:35 PM
The U.S.S. Arizona is a very powerful image, if you've ever had the opportunity to visit.

will_1400
12-07-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm hoisting a couple pints in the memories of the men who died that day. May they rest in peace.

Chuck Haggard
12-07-2013, 10:21 PM
I wore my Pearl Harbor memorial T-shirt all day while out shopping with the wife.

I remember when I got to watch 'Tora, Tora, Tora' every single Dec 7th. I didn't see it on out local schedule anywhere this time.

TGS
12-07-2013, 10:26 PM
I wore my Pearl Harbor memorial T-shirt all day while out shopping with the wife.

I remember when I got to watch 'Tora, Tora, Tora' every single Dec 7th. I didn't see it on out local schedule anywhere this time.

I miss watching war movie marathons on the History Channel for such days.

Now it's just a bunch of stupid reality tv shows.

Drang
12-07-2013, 10:39 PM
TCM usually observes even some more obscure anniversaries: They often play Korean War movies on 6/20, for example.
Today they ran Task Force with Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan, Air Force with John Garfield, From Here to Eternity, and War Comes to Amercia, part seven of Capra's Why we Fight series.

I was impressed by the effort apparently made in Task Force to ensure the stock (combat camera) footage was from aircrat appropriate to the time period; no F6Fs at Midway, no ME109s instead of Zeros...