PDA

View Full Version : Importance of a quality belt

ptf18
12-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Im a newbie here and have a questions pertaining to belts. I come from competitive rifle shooting and have had an interest in IDPA type shooting for a few years. Ive been to several matches but never quite got the "nerve" to give it a go even though I purchased a holster and mag pouch.

I have read about various types of belts being used with holsters in pistol shooting. Ive never thought much of the topic other than a belt shouldnt be a narrow width, flimsy, cheap buckle type ( walmart "dress pants" style)

What I'ld like to know is what qualities I should be looking for when I go shopping for a "pistol" carrying belt. I understand there are the leather types but also "cloth" types. Belt width seems to be of importance but I dont understand why. What about thickness. Does the type of buckle matter.

Thanks for any information you may lend me.

nycnoob
12-01-2013, 08:13 PM
I do not know if there are really any "bad belts", as long as you are buying a belt specifically made to carry a gun. These are abit sturdier then a regular mall type belt. They take the weight of the gun and ammo and distribute it around the waist and do not curl up to let the holster sag or get inside the trigger guard and the buckle needs to be able to take the weight. Around here most people seem to wear the 5-stich belt from thewilderness belts (http://www.thewilderness.com/tactical-belts/) lately I have been wearing their frequent flyer (as mentioned multiple times in the links below) and I like it a bunch.

Before that I was wearing the 511 trainer belt it was fine, though the buckle seemed to wear out and fall out the belt with long use 511 belt (http://www.511tactical.com/accessories/belts.html) I did not care for the TDU belts with the plastic buckle though the metal buckle would occasionally pinch when I sat down.

I never wore a leather belt so I cannot comment, but I am far from the best dressed around here.

Here is a funny story about belts. A few years ago I went to Rogers Shooting school and happened to bring some extra 511 belts with me, in various sizes "just in case". Well it turned out two students did not have suitable belts and one of the instructors liked what I had with me, so I ended up selling three belts. It was sorta funny since I had brought the belts for my own use (spare) but turned into this belt sale with everyone grumbling at the price (as if I was making a profit on the things). So have a few good belts, they are important.

Here are the other belt discussions:

Your Favorite Belt Is... (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?7926-Your-Favorite-Belt-Is)

Wilderness compared to Leather Belt (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3880-Wilderness-compared-to-Leather-Belt)

PPGMD
12-01-2013, 08:32 PM
I've used a Wilderness 5 stitch belt couple of years in both 1.5" and 1.75" with no issues for both normal carry, and competition. Before that I used a 5.11 belt of similar design but it started fraying on the tongue within a year.

I recently switched to the Safarland ELS system because it allows me to have the convenience of a competition double belt system with fixed position of pouches and holsters. But with the ELS and QLS system to switch gear out as I change guns for different sports and divisions instead of having several belts and a butt load of pouches.

nycnoob
12-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Belts are important but holsters are important too, too many bad holster designs around.
I do not know that I have ever seen a bad "gun belt" but I have seen some horrific holsters.
It is interesting to me that I can not go into ANY of the big box gun stores, or any small
gun store (that I have been in) and buy what I would consider to be a good holster. I think
most people are doing something else with their guns then I am doing (which is why there
are so many old fashioned single action revolvers for sale in the big stores)

Here are some good holsters, I am sure there are others but these are what I know and these are very popular:

Bill Rogers: Safariland (http://www.holsterops.com/)

Raven Concealment Systems (http://www.ravenconcealment.com/)

Blade Tech (http://shop.blade-tech.com/index.php)

PPGMD
12-01-2013, 08:52 PM
I like Raven Concealment Systems as much as the next guy (I have well over a half a dozen holsters from them). But being that this is the competition forum it isn't that great of a competition holster.

IMO experience, and based on competitors I've seen using them the best holsters for competition are the following (used the dropped and offset it allowed for your match):
Blade-tech ICE Holster (http://shop.blade-tech.com/black-holster-c-1_23_29.html#.UpvmqY35N9Q)
Comp-tac International (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=182)
Safariland 5197 (http://www.holsters.com/concealment/holsters/model5197.asp)

Based on popularity Comp-tac and Blade-tech are the most common with Safariland coming in a distant third. If these particular holsters don't offer these for your gun there are other OWB holsters in Comp-tac's and Blade-tech's line up that will fit that are almost as good.

raks
12-01-2013, 10:26 PM
The competition belts sold by CompTac are very nice. Blade Tech has a good 2 piece Velcro belt that is good for USPSA and you can run the outer belt only for the ultimate IDPA gamer look.

YVK
12-01-2013, 11:24 PM
I understand there are the leather types but also "cloth" types. Belt width seems to be of importance but I dont understand why. What about thickness. Does the type of buckle matter.

Thanks for any information you may lend me.

Biggest difference that separates regular and gun belt is stiffness. It is very hard to support a gun with a flexible belt, hence layering, inserts, stitching etc for gun belts.

Belt widths is mostly a function of needed support and comfort. Wider ones will be more supportive and may be more comfy. Beyond that, it is a matter of compatibility with loops of a) your pants b) your gear. 1.5 is most popular width. I strongly prefer a match between gear and belt, others run 1.75 pouches on 1.5 belts.

Belt thickness is a function of a design, again, to yield stiffness. Quite often overlooked factor - gear with too wide loops will slide, gear with narrow loops won't fit on.

Buckle often defines how much "real estate" is left to the left and right of it, and sometimes dictates how easy it is to move a belt between different pants.

Clusterfrack
12-01-2013, 11:24 PM
I use an Ares Ranger belt for IDPA. It's nice and stiff, but not too thick. Long wait time though...

Check out the BladeTech Black Ice holster if you want a good gamer rig. I use the Tec-loc version so I can swap it onto my USPSA belt easily.

TheTrevor
12-01-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm wearing a Wilderness 1.75-inch belt (with the plastic stiffener) as I write this. While I'm planning on getting a 1.5-inch Ares Ranger belt for lower-profile use, I'm a HUGE fan of the Wilderness belts. They're priced very competitively, and when I needed one in a hurry recently, Wilderness processed my order and shipped my belt the same day.

ptf18, I'll give you the same recommendation I gave one of my students recently: start off with a Wilderness Instructor Belt, 1.5 inches wide, with the standard steel buckle and the plastic stiffener option. If you think you're going to get into gun games, order it with loop velcro all around the outside. This gives you the option of running the original belt by itself to start, and if you get serious, you can get a second 1.75-inch outer belt with hook velcro on the inside that you can rig up with your holsters, pouches etc. and wear over the top of your inner belt.

JonInWA
12-02-2013, 02:40 PM
I've used Wilderness' belts since around 1990-and my original one, a 3 stitch 1.75" is still very much in use. I prefer the 1.5" variants, as they work a bit better from a daily "fashion" standpoint and seem to have less of a tendency to "pop" the retaining grippers of my Blade-Tech holsters. I've got both their original buckles and their ring buckles-all work well.

I also recommend at least the 5-Stitch variants for additional stiffness. That seems to work fine, but others in the thread have commented on the advantages of the ones with the additional plastic stiffener insert. As Todd has commented previously, an advantage of the Wilderness-type buckles is that they possess an infinite range of adjustment, not being dependent upon a prong-type buckle which require spaced holes in the belt.

Over time/use, there does seem to be a bit of slippage that occurs, necessitating re-tightening-that is an advantage that the Ares belt has, with a more secure buckle/belt lock-down system, according to friends of mine whom have used both.

Wilderness' quality and customer support is superb-they even have a "rebuilding" program to renovate well-used belts.

I've used 5.11's leather belts with a polymer insert-their fit and pricing is good, but they only lasted for a year or so before irrevocably cracking.

Kramer's double-thickness horsehide belts are excellent, but relatively pricey-and you need to treat them periodically to prevent cracking. I have one of their single-thickness belts, which is good, but more as a fashion belt as opposed to a serious gun-toting beltit's worn well, and has been much less susceptible to cracking than the two double-thickness ones I've had.

Galco belts are good, but in my experience are not quite as good/comfortable as Kramer's-but they are a bit less expensive...

For the money, I think the best value is a Wilderness 5-Stitch belt.

Best, Jon

Fartrell Cluggins
12-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Hey all, new guy here. I agree you def. want a good belt whether for comp or carry. I have a double horsehide kramer that is excellent and an old safariland for USPSA that needs to be retired, its getting flimsy and there are newer better belts out there.

I'm old school so I like leather from any of hte good makers, Sparks, Alessi, Kramer etc. If you buy a nice gun you should treat them to nice leather.