PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here withquestions

ptf18
12-01-2013, 06:28 PM
New to the forum and have some pistol questions. Hope Im posting them in the correct forum.

Ive been a competitive rifle shooter for many years. Ive owned pistols but rarely get them out to shoot and when I do its the usual stand at a bench and shoot bulleyes targets.

I got my CHL several years ago and my interest in handguns increased. I attended several IPDA matches and thought that those types of events would be a worthwhile experiance. I purchased the holster and mag pouches and have both a 9mm and 45ACP to shoot. I never did shoot a match (yet).

Anyways spring/summer came (this was a couple years ago) and I went back to competitive rifle shooting. Well winters back upon us and my tolerance to shoot rifles...... while laying on the ground... in 40* temperatures....... just dosent appeal to me as much as it once did.

So..... out came the pistols. I came across this site, have been doing some looking and reading here and.... this afternoon I took my guns and did some hand gunning at the outdoor range I belong to.

I know about the type of handgunning that is posted here and else where (IPDA sites). THe members discuss various points about firearms and the different ways to handle them depending on what they are being used for.

If I regain an interest in IDPA type shooting what suggestions can you all give me that might be benifical? I know about dry firing practice but what about actual range time practice? The club I belong to (which Im sure is like many) has a couple different pistol ranges of different distances. The "issue" is... and Im sure this is typical....... is that the firing points are for the usual "bulleyes" type shooting.

What I could use is some tips on how that sort of range facilities can be used by me to improve ones IPDA type shooting. I geuss that would go for any indoor range also.

Im sure you all know what Im talking about. You get to the range, get out your gear, run up targets and shoot them from a bench style shooting booth. About the only thing that that instills is good marksmanship and gun safety habits if all is done correctly.

So what do you all do with this type range that helps a pistol shooter in the type of pistol shooting that most of us here at pistol-forum seem to shoot?

Thanks for any insight.

gringop
12-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Number 1, dry fire your butt off. This is not primarily to learn just trigger pull but to learn subconscious pistol index and manipulation. Steve Anderson's book, "Refinement and Repetition: is great for this.

Number 2, If possible at the range, start from the compressed ready or #2 position. This allows you to work the 2nd half of the draw stroke with live fire. Print out targets that allow you some transitions, 2 4" dots or 6 3" dots on an 8.5X11 sheet of paper and use them instead of the range targets. If your range has speed restrictions like "one shot every 2 seconds" then put these targets at a distance that will allow you to push your boundaries with transitions at that speed.

If your range will allow you to do reloads then practice them live fire as well as in dry fire. Understand that until you are able to practice in a more free environment that allows movement and working from the holster, you will be limited in your performance.

I practiced under these conditions for the first 3 years that I shot IDPA. My only live fire holster practice was at matches. I got good a being an accurate shooter. Once my situation changed to where I could practice from the holster and with movement, I started winning my class. When I started setting goals, planning practice sessions, budgeting ammo and practice time, I started moving up classifications.

Do what you can, with what you have, until you can do better.

Gringop

peterb
12-02-2013, 12:21 AM
This thread may help: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?10304-USPSA-Newb-in-training-please-help&highlight=newbie

Good selection of drills here: http://pistol-training.com/drills

RBid
12-07-2013, 02:53 PM
This seems to link solidly to a side discussion about going as far as possible within typical square range limitations, like fixed distance shooting and 1/second speed caps. I've gone through most of the links on the 'drills' page, and can't do most of them at the gun club where I most commonly shoot. I've been able to find some creative ways to work on sight tracking, transitions, and shooting on the move, but I am aware that there are things that simply do not occur to me that may prove beneficial.

I think it would be a tremendous resource for folks working within similar limitations if guys like Todd and OAK penciled out suggested drills for square range work. I've put a fair bit of my own time into finding solutions, but again, these guys are better equipped than I am to devise solid drills.

gringop
12-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Dot Torture on 3" dots at 7 yards is about the most comprehensive square range drill that I know of. You get draws, transitions, multiple shots on single targets, multiple shots on multiple targets, SHO, WHO and reloads. It's primarily an accuracy drill but you can add a timer into the mix.

Gringop

Al T.
12-07-2013, 06:22 PM
What I could use is some tips on how that sort of range facilities can be used by me to improve ones IPDA type shooting.

I'm going to jump ship here and suggest that you do two things. One, find a range that allows you to draw, shoot on the move, etc., etc. Usually, that is an outdoor range. Second, get some training. I am a late comer to high class training and can attest that I learned more in my first formal (paid for by me) shooting class than I had in the previous 30 years. Having a teacher watch you integrate movement, drawstroke and firing can drastically shorten your learning curve and save you money. Right now, you don't know what you don't know - I certainly didn't. :)

David S.
12-12-2013, 10:18 AM
As a substitute for the holster work during live fire, "draw" from the table. It's not perfect but adds some movement.

Make sure you ask the range if there is a class you can take to get qualified to draw from the holster. Some do, some don't offer such things.