PDA

View Full Version : I learned a lot at Cabela's today.

TR675
11-30-2013, 06:45 PM
A .44 Magnum will go through 6 houses. I bet you guys didn't know that. That's why you should pack a .22.

If you aren't going to use a .22, you want to get Glaser safety bullets. Those are pretty safe too. But really any frangible bullets will do the job. You can't trust hollow points.

In other words, I learned a lot at Cabela's today while my special lady friend was cavorting through the local outlet malls.

Jason F
11-30-2013, 07:19 PM
And my young cousin, who just moved to the area near me, was SHOCKED when I suggested she not go to a LGS alone to try out pistols and look for one.

"If you go without me, you WILL be throwing money down the drain."

Wow. How were you able to contain your inner laughter while listening to that much garbage?!

Kyle Reese
11-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Pffft. I've heard that a .45 will take a man's head clean off, and features unrivaled "knockdown" power.

TR675
11-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Wow. How were you able to contain your inner laughter while listening to that much garbage?!

I hear it a lot. Also, long ago and far away, back when I was a know-it-all too, I probably said something similarly stupid. Ok, maybe not that bad, but definitely still stupid.

It's partly why I like Cabela's so much. If you're posting or reading this forum you're so far ahead of the curve that it's helpful to remember where the rest of the class is. I mean, this guy at least started out with "shot placement is the number one thing." So really it was a C effort.

Joe in PNG
11-30-2013, 08:50 PM
And once at a Bass Pro I heard how the Judge was the perfect home defense gun.

GardoneVT
11-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Pffft. I've heard that a .45 will take a man's head clean off, and features unrivaled "knockdown" power.

You too?

I got a bonus lesson on the Beretta 92.Apparently, I'll get beheaded by the slide once it separates in the middle.Darn.

I knew I shoulda bought a PT1911 like all the other cool kids.:rolleyes:

TR675
11-30-2013, 09:58 PM
I never talk guns there. Or anywhere unless someone is specifically asking my advice. I just like hanging out at the gun counter pricing used S&Ws and Model 12's I'll never buy and listening to the counter guys.

At gun stores my interaction with the counter guys is limited to "I'll take one of those, please."

Speaking of Model 12s, the Allen, TX store has piles of them for $350-ish. They've got lots of character, but they're tripping my want button...

Malamute
11-30-2013, 10:11 PM
If they have any model 12's that are particularly loose and "worn out" at the receiver/barrel junction, they may make a good deal for you. They are simple to adjust. I'd be quite shocked if one had used up its adjustment range. You can tell by taking the barrel off and looking at the adjustment tab.

TR675
11-30-2013, 10:24 PM
If they have any model 12's that are particularly loose and "worn out" at the receiver/barrel junction, they may make a good deal for you. They are simple to adjust. I'd be quite shocked if one had used up its adjustment range. You can tell by taking the barrel off and looking at the adjustment tab.

It was your post about them that got me thinking along those lines.

So, thanks a lot!

LHS
11-30-2013, 10:29 PM
At the local Cabela's the other day, the gun room monkey tried to sell my buddy on a really well-preserved Rock Island M1903. It tripped my spidey-sense for some reason, and a quick check of the date on the receiver and barrel, coupled with the serial number, revealed why: it was a very low-number (119xxx, dated 1911) gun, well inside the bloc with suspect heat treating. The monkey was not pleased when I told him it was unsafe to shoot. So much for getting $1500 out of it...

Lester Polfus
12-01-2013, 01:12 AM
On the flip side, I used to live near a very nice neighborhood gun store (The Gunbroker, in Tigard, OR if you are curious) and there was one guy there who I used to overhear giving very sound advice, steering people towards quality firearms that wouldn't break the bank, getting some training, and not skimping on things like holsters.

Many people left with a Taurus in an Uncle Mikes anyway, but I appreciated that he tried.

SeriousStudent
12-01-2013, 01:23 AM
I never talk guns there. Or anywhere unless someone is specifically asking my advice. I just like hanging out at the gun counter pricing used S&Ws and Model 12's I'll never buy and listening to the counter guys.

At gun stores my interaction with the counter guys is limited to "I'll take one of those, please."

Speaking of Model 12s, the Allen, TX store has piles of them for $350-ish. They've got lots of character, but they're tripping my want button...

Thanks for the tip, they will have one less tomorrow. It's going to get the Malamute treatment.

Casual Friday
12-01-2013, 10:11 AM
I learned that you can lay-a-way guns at Cabela's.

jlw
12-01-2013, 10:56 AM
I like to go to gun shops so that I can learn what all of the local cops are doing related to firearms...

ST911
12-01-2013, 11:04 AM
I like to go to gun shops so that I can learn what all of the local cops are doing related to firearms...

That's easy. They're the folks at the other end of the counter asking about a discount.

Odin Bravo One
12-01-2013, 01:23 PM
I learned that Cabela's was the only company anywhere that had the caliber of ammunition I was looking for. I learned that I should buy as much as they will let me.

I have also learned in trips past that the people who work at gunstores, whether it be the LGS or a big box outdoor store are generally decent people, who while perhaps not the most knowledgable, are sales people. Their job is to sell things. That may or may not coincide with the latest hotness in guns/gear.

I've also learned that the majority of gun owners don't see the world the way I see it, and make their choices is guns, ammunition, and accessories based off of their perceived needs. Right, wrong, or indifferent, it is what it is.

I've also read some equally dumb shit posted on this forum.

TR675
12-01-2013, 02:06 PM
I learned that Cabela's was the only company anywhere that had the caliber of ammunition I was looking for. I learned that I should buy as much as they will let me.

I have also learned in trips past that the people who work at gunstores, whether it be the LGS or a big box outdoor store are generally decent people, who while perhaps not the most knowledgable, are sales people. Their job is to sell things. That may or may not coincide with the latest hotness in guns/gear.

I've also learned that the majority of gun owners don't see the world the way I see it, and make their choices is guns, ammunition, and accessories based off of their perceived needs. Right, wrong, or indifferent, it is what it is.

I've also read some equally dumb shit posted on this forum.

It sure sounds like you learned a lot.

Sean, I started this thread because I heard something obviously wrong and reasonably amusing at the gun store. It was intended to be amusing, not a showcase for how superior I am (or we are) to anyone else, and I think most of the follow-up posters recognized that. I recognized it myself. Reference post no. 4.

If you'd like to join in on this non-serious thread in the spirit in which it is intended, please do so. On the other hand, if you'd like to start a discussion about why you think I need an attitude adjustment, then knock yourself out. Just please do it elsewhere.

Odin Bravo One
12-01-2013, 03:22 PM
On the other hand, if you'd like to start a discussion about why you think I need an attitude adjustment, then knock yourself out. Just please do it elsewhere.

I thought my post was pretty generic. If you took it as me suggeting you need an attitude adjustment........I can't help you there.

ETA..........

Was not my intention to "dog" on anyone.......I poorly articulated. My apologies.

TR675
12-01-2013, 03:58 PM
No worries. Thank you for the clarification, and my apologies for jumping the gun.

Drang
12-01-2013, 04:14 PM
When an acquaintance opened a gun store/range, I suggested he post "Gun Store Commandos Prohibited" signs.

You may say I'm a dreamer...

SeriousStudent
12-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Very fun time at Cabela's today. I snagged a nice 1929 Winchester Model 12 for the traveling road trip shotgun project, and at a quite reasonable price.

TR675
12-01-2013, 05:57 PM
How did the others look? I'm thinking about heading back up there.

SeriousStudent
12-01-2013, 07:05 PM
I got the most beatup one they had. The bore looked fine, but the metal on the receiver had some very light surface pitting. Barrel was a 30-inch tube.

Wood was frankly in very good shape for an 85-year-old shotgun. Lock-up between the barrel group and receiver was nice and tight, and it cycles fine for a dry gun. I'm going to hunt down replacement springs, because that's how I roll.

The rest of the shotguns were in better shape, with correspondingly higher prices. They also had some 16 gauge models, but no 20-gauge that I saw. A few other good old pumpguns. too. But I was pretty much just focusing on the Model 12's.

Pretty long line for the firearms counter. It took about an hour and a half to get everything done.

Suvorov
12-01-2013, 07:32 PM
I can only dream of being able to visit a Cabella's near where I live......

SeriousStudent
12-01-2013, 08:06 PM
I usually just walk over there with my dog.......

Joe in PNG
12-01-2013, 09:23 PM
When an acquaintance opened a gun store/range, I suggested he post "Gun Store Commandos Prohibited" signs.

You may say I'm a dreamer...

How about "Please present DD 214 before bringing up your experiences as a SF Operator"

Carraway
12-01-2013, 09:44 PM
I think a Cabela's would be a good step up from the local Gander Mountain. It was the opposite there, where I was told that 9MMs and .38s are a waste. You need a .45 or better for self defense, and better included any shotgun. But the strangest overheard conversation I heard was at another warehouse type of place. Everything seemed okay, then a customer came in and loudly proclaimed he needed a silencer for his AR-15 while looking around, presumably to make sure he had everyone's attention. He went on to say that, since his township didn't have a police force, he didn't need to have the local chief sign off. The guy behind the counter looked annoyed and said, "You still have a sheriff."

As for the Model 12s, I'm tempted to tell my dad, but he might wind up heading to Texas tonight. He absolutely loves Model 12s. (He's a retired police officer and long time trap shooter who once turned down an offer from Winchester to trap shoot for them).

will_1400
12-01-2013, 10:56 PM
I learned that at Cabella's a Swiss Vetterli covered in rust and with busted sights is worth 1400 bucks... :rolleyes:

TheTrevor
12-02-2013, 12:58 AM
I can only dream of being able to visit a Cabella's near where I live......

There's a third-tier (i.e. surprisingly small) Cabela's right across the NV border on the way to Reno. Frankly, the Bass Pro in Tracy is more like the Cabela's I've seen elsewhere than the sad little Cabela's in Reno.

And the Cabela's near Reno won't sell guns to CA residents. {sob}

Drang
12-02-2013, 01:02 AM
There's a third-tier (i.e. surprisingly small) Cabela's right across the NV border on the way to Reno. Frankly, the Bass Pro in Tracy is more like the Cabela's I've seen elsewhere than the sad little Cabela's in Reno.

But when we were in Reno for the Gun Bloggers' Rendezvous in September, that Cabela's was selling cases of .22 LR when no one else had any in stock.

Suvorov
12-02-2013, 06:35 AM

Oh, the RNO Cabela's is nice, but ever since I got married, nothing in RNO is worth the drive.

HCM
12-04-2013, 09:17 AM
I learned that you can lay-a-way guns at Cabela's.

Yes - this can be very dangerous !

HCM
12-04-2013, 09:24 AM
I have found Cabelas to be the best of the big box outdoors stores and the only one I even bother checking re: firearms. The gun counter guys are no better or worse than LGS guys. At my Cabelas, they are mostly college students or older retired guys working there for the discount. I try to deal with the grey hairs if possible.

I will drive the extra 45 minutes to go to Cabelas vs Bass Pro if only because they are NOT open on thanksgiving.

BLR
12-04-2013, 12:36 PM

Dude. The ACP will shoot down Zeros and blow the treads off Tigers. Heads are nuthin'

Cabelas is a good source of some (oft over priced) high end stuff and RealTree camo.

But that's about it.

TR675
12-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I agree with HCM. All kidding aside, I really, really like Cabela's. Prices on new guns are in-line with the best of the local gun shops. You occasionally find a deal on used guns. The counterguys are friendly, unlike the local gun shops. And Sean M is right - they have a great selection of ammo. And before the latest scare I got all of my bulk ammo through their online store at reasonable prices. Best of all, they're right near the outlet stores in Allen, so as far as my GF is concerned, there's always a reason to go.

Plus - aquariums with giant fish! The one in Fort Worth is outstanding.

Tamara
12-04-2013, 01:20 PM
True Fact: It's hard to find ex-Delta guys who got out and then got engineering degrees and went on to become ballisticians when not taking night classes for an AA in Criminal Justice, especially when all you can offer is $8-$10/hr and a part time schedule.

Gun stores, like fabric stores, radio control car stores, camera stores, scrapbooking stores, and comic book stores, are hobby shops where you're going to get people so enthusiastic about the hobby that they're willing to put up with crap pay in a retail environment just for the employee discount and the status it gives them among their fellow hobbyist nerds.

Sometimes these people have profound personality deficits, such as being know-it-alls or being sarcastic and snarky at inappropriate times.

Go ahead and ask me how I know. :p

Erik
12-04-2013, 02:01 PM
How do you know?

Tamara
12-04-2013, 02:06 PM
How do you know?

As soon as I can think of an inappropriately snarky and know-it-all-sounding answer to this, I'll let you know. ;)

RoyGBiv
12-04-2013, 02:22 PM
As soon as I can think of an inappropriately snarky and know-it-all-sounding answer to this, I'll let you know. ;)

How about "I have lived among them and they have accepted me as their own"?

HCM
12-04-2013, 02:42 PM
I agree with HCM. All kidding aside, I really, really like Cabela's. Prices on new guns are in-line with the best of the local gun shops. You occasionally find a deal on used guns. The counterguys are friendly, unlike the local gun shops. And Sean M is right - they have a great selection of ammo. And before the latest scare I got all of my bulk ammo through their online store at reasonable prices. Best of all, they're right near the outlet stores in Allen, so as far as my GF is concerned, there's always a reason to go.

Plus - aquariums with giant fish! The one in Fort Worth is outstanding.

My 4 year old nephew loves the taxidermy and the fish.

I find some good deals in the bargain cave and their holiday sales and Visa card club deals are not bad either. I'm looking at picking up a Leupold scope which is not on the Fed/ Mil list and will save about $145.

Cabelas ammo selection and prices are decent. You can beat them for bulk purchased but I don't require 1000 rounds of 30-40 Krag now that the boxers and the Spanish have been defeated.

Al T.
12-04-2013, 04:51 PM
As soon as I can think of an inappropriately snarky and know-it-all-sounding answer to this, I'll let you know.

Guess I'm a simple sort of guy, I was thinking "mirror, mirror, on the wall".......... :cool:

BN
12-04-2013, 08:02 PM
I was at Cabelas in Wheeling one day. While walking through the diorama of the lions eating a zebra, I over heard a little kid say; Oh look Mom, the zebra is taking a nap. ;)

Carraway
12-05-2013, 01:06 AM
I was at Cabelas in Wheeling one day. While walking through the diorama of the lions eating a zebra, I over heard a little kid say; Oh look Mom, the zebra is taking a nap. ;)

They have a diorama of lions eating a zebra? I might have to take a trip to one of the larger ones. Mostly though, I'd like to know how the meeting went that decided on a lions eating zebra theme, and what ideas they threw out.

Totem Polar
12-05-2013, 01:35 AM
I've got to say, the Cabelas in Idaho are generally pretty fun. Sure, you've got to be the one informing your own purchases, but the "gun libraries" always seem to have interesting stuff. The last time I was in the one closest to me, they had a flatgate single-six, a couple of 6906s in clean condition for 350-ish, and 4 Sabatti doubles, all the way up to .470 N.E. Still didn't really have kitten for ammo in stock, though.

BN
12-05-2013, 08:07 AM
They have a diorama of lions eating a zebra? I might have to take a trip to one of the larger ones. Mostly though, I'd like to know how the meeting went that decided on a lions eating zebra theme, and what ideas they threw out.

They have a big room with a bunch of African animals, a big room with a bunch of whitetail deer, a snowy mountain covered with bear, sheep, goats etc and a big fish tank. You could spend hours just looking at displays. The meeting might have been fun to attend. :)

Tamara
12-05-2013, 08:21 AM
...but the "gun libraries" always seem to have interesting stuff.

First one I ever set foot in was down in Fort Worth. I walked into the gun library and nearly lost continence. I practically had to be physically dragged out.

peterb
12-05-2013, 08:39 AM
At the store in Colorado, I was impressed with how they'd tried to eliminate the excuses you might have for not spending hours in the store. Got a dog in the car? Put him in one of our air-conditioned kennels at no charge. Got a horse in a trailer? Put it in one of our stalls.

Having fishermen bring in their live trophy fish for the aquarium is also brilliant. You just know those guys are going to drag all their buddies into the store to see "their" fish.

RoyGBiv
12-05-2013, 09:13 AM
We had a birthday party for my youngest at Cabela's in FTW. We'd hang out there on Saturday mornings after "biker breakfast" and shoot at the quarter arcade upstairs. Turns out they had a great format for a kids party.... They do a scavenger hunt through the store... It's beautiful chaos there on a crowded Saturday morning stuffed with customers while a bunch of 8,9,10 year olds rampage through the store. But the highlight of the day was feeding time for the fish tanks. We all gathered round while they tossed in handfuls of live fish and watched as the bigger fish chased them down and gobbled them up. The kids Ooooo'd and Ahhhhhh'd. Even as a fisherman, it's not something you get to see from that angle very often.

SGT_Calle
12-05-2013, 11:35 AM
I've never been to Cabela's. Fortunately, we have one coming to our town in 2014 (within a 1/2 mile of the new PSA here).
Seriously thinking about applying to supplement my MGIB income and get some discount action!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

TR675
03-08-2014, 05:50 PM
I do love Cabela's. There's a nice little blued 3 inch S&W model 36 38 special in the gun library in the Allen, TX store. Couple of little specks near the grips. Otherwise looks pretty clean. Barrel is pinned but it doesn't look like it has recessed cylinders.

$499 and I'm kicking myself for not getting it. If anyone wants to give it a good home hurry up before I change my mind.

Tamara
03-08-2014, 06:27 PM
There's a nice little blued 3 inch S&W model 36 38 special in the gun library in the Allen, TX store. Couple of little specks near the grips. Otherwise looks pretty clean. Barrel is pinned but it doesn't look like it has recessed cylinders.

Only rimfires and Magnums had recessed chambers. :)

JMorse
03-08-2014, 06:28 PM
I went to my first Cabelas about 2 weeks ago. What a great store. I wish I had one close.

TR675
03-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Only rimfires and Magnums had recessed chambers. :)

Now I know! And that's half the battle.

Honestly me talking about "pinned" this and "recessed" that is goofy considering the only Smifs I've got any experience with either have locks or are made of plastic. I just know they're supposed to be cool. ;)

Tamara
03-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Now I know! And that's half the battle.

Honestly me talking about "pinned" this and "recessed" that is goofy considering the only Smifs I've got any experience with either have locks or are made of plastic. I just know they're supposed to be cool. ;)

And here's why they were recessed: Balloon-head cases (http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscellf.htm#balloon). A Google image search of the term is informative and full of scary case failure pics, too! :)

Totem Polar
03-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Ha! #1) 3-inch chiefs are awesome. #2) I was just in the post falls Cabelas, and they have 4 (!) DAO gen 3 6946 S&Ws on the used shelf... Temptation! Aaaaaand... #3) WTF is with ammo? It's even worse than right after the last 2 POTUS elections. Ludicrous. They're reduced to putting empty 14.99 Cabelas ammo boxes in place of actual ammo on each shelf. No .22 LR. No 9mm. No fun.

ST911
03-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Ha! #1) 3-inch chiefs are awesome. #2) I was just in the post falls Cabelas, and they have 4 (!) DAO gen 3 6946 S&Ws on the used shelf... Temptation! Aaaaaand... #3) WTF is with ammo? It's even worse than right after the last 2 POTUS elections. Ludicrous. They're reduced to putting empty 14.99 Cabelas ammo boxes in place of actual ammo on each shelf. No .22 LR. No 9mm. No fun.

#1) A 3" model 60, with Apex kit, is a dandy family gun.
#2) Cabelas bought a bunch of those and they are in several stores. A little birdie says watch for some markdowns on those, as they are not moving really well.
#3) If that Cabelas doesn't have ammo, something is wrong because all the others in the northern tier seem to. Have them inter-store. One had an entire end cap full of PMC 9A and 38A.

bobdavis
03-08-2014, 10:40 PM
#3) If that Cabelas doesn't have ammo, something is wrong because all the others in the northern tier seem to. Have them inter-store. One had an entire end cap full of PMC 9A and 38A.

The one outside Austin, TX had no 9mm or 22 either a couple weeks ago when I was there.

TR675
03-08-2014, 11:31 PM
I saw lots of nine, lots of 5.56/.223, no .22, no .38 sp.

When I do see .38 it's wicked expensive.

SeriousStudent
03-08-2014, 11:46 PM
I do love Cabela's. There's a nice little blued 3 inch S&W model 36 38 special in the gun library in the Allen, TX store. Couple of little specks near the grips. Otherwise looks pretty clean. Barrel is pinned but it doesn't look like it has recessed cylinders.

$499 and I'm kicking myself for not getting it. If anyone wants to give it a good home hurry up before I change my mind.

Note to self: Walk to Cabela's, attend late service, go to confessional for stealing TR675's pistol.

Feel much better at the range tomorrow afternoon. :)

Casual Friday
03-09-2014, 09:24 AM
I've never been to Cabela's. Fortunately, we have one coming to our town in 2014 (within a 1/2 mile of the new PSA here).
Seriously thinking about applying to supplement my MGIB income and get some discount action!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Don't bother, I worked there and their discount sucked unless you were buying the crappy Cabela's brand stuff.

TR675
06-29-2014, 02:33 PM
Anyone win the Powerball? The Allen TX gun library has the nicest collection of Colts I've seen...ever? Not a turn line on them. Gorgeous.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/30/a3yruha2.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/30/qy9u7apy.jpg

They also had a nice LC Smith SxS for $899.

I don't know why I do this to myself.

I did find the best Cabelas end display. Really sums the store' vision of its target market. Pretty accurate too.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/30/ubytahyp.jpg

I do love this place so.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-29-2014, 06:26 PM
Cabelas:

1. Clerk told me that a SW 632 fired 22s. They had it marked as a 63-2. 63's were 22s. The gun in question was a 327 mag. The young clerk argued until the old clerk told him it was mislabeled by the distributor.

2. I'm browsing and a guy comes in and tells the clerk he wants a pump shotgun because just racking it will scare away the bad person. He also says he wants some blanks in case the racking doesn't work. The clerk suggests a box of rubber buckshot. I can't stand it and start to explain. I could have died from the glares. Next time, I don't yak unless asked. I must look respectable because I do get asked at counters - must be my professorial demeanor.

I don't buy guns in Cabela's except when they had a great sale and I had points built up from other stuff. Got a Buckmark for a competitive price that way.

Gander Mountain and Bass Pro are rip offs for standard guns. The TX shows are better and for a store Academy beats them on standard items but a limited selection.

will_1400
06-29-2014, 06:48 PM
My local Cabela's has a good condition Saginaw M1 Carbine with a sticker calling for $1400. It's been in their gun library for nearly a year and I'm waiting for them to come down in price.

LHS
06-29-2014, 07:11 PM
My local Cabela's has a good condition Saginaw M1 Carbine with a sticker calling for $1400. It's been in their gun library for nearly a year and I'm waiting for them to come down in price.

Haggle with them. If it's been there for a year, I wager you can whittle them down a bit.

Sigfan26
06-29-2014, 07:11 PM
My local Cabelas has a "Noveske" on the used rack for $1700... With a black, non Noveske barrel with a 1in9" twist.

JodyH
06-29-2014, 07:21 PM
The only thing I want to hear from a guy wearing a vest and a name tag is "would you like to supersize that order sir?".

ST911
06-29-2014, 07:51 PM
The only thing I want to hear from a guy wearing a vest and a name tag is "would you like to supersize that order sir?".

What do they supersize at IDPA matches?

TR675
06-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Vague procedurals?

SeriousStudent
06-29-2014, 08:07 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/30/ubytahyp.jpg

I do love this place so.

Here in Texas, we refer to that as "The good glasses for when company comes over." The rest of the time, it's reused plastic cups from assorted BBQ joints.

will_1400
06-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Haggle with them. If it's been there for a year, I wager you can whittle them down a bit.

Already tried. Offered them $1000 in cash (even literally showed them the money) but they held firm. I'll check back in a couple months and if they still have it, I'll try again.

JodyH
06-29-2014, 09:36 PM
What do they supersize at IDPA matches?
waistlines

Kyle Reese
06-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Already tried. Offered them $1000 in cash (even literally showed them the money) but they held firm. I'll check back in a couple months and if they still have it, I'll try again.

You can get a real (http://www.shopnoveske.com/collections/rifles/products/14-5-skinny-carbine-moe-rifle) Noveske for less than their absurd asking price, if you're so inclined.

Tamara
06-30-2014, 09:22 AM
waistlines

I LOL'ed. :D

Chance
06-30-2014, 07:03 PM
I encountered the only two people behind a gun store counter that knew what they were talking about in the Cabela's in Ft. Worth. An older lady and a big tall guy were helpful to my girlfriend when she bought her first pistol (she doesn't listen to anything I say). The older lady even walked her through sound carry options, and showed the outline of her M&P she had IWB at 5 o'clock.

I was impressed to the point I started telling potential buyers, "The people at Cabela's know their stuff", but apparently I should stop doing that.

Sigfan26
06-30-2014, 07:41 PM
I encountered the only two people behind a gun store counter that knew what they were talking about in the Cabela's in Ft. Worth. An older lady and a big tall guy were helpful to my girlfriend when she bought her first pistol (she doesn't listen to anything I say). The older lady even walked her through sound carry options, and showed the outline of her M&P she had IWB at 5 o'clock.

I was impressed to the point I started telling potential buyers, "The people at Cabela's know their stuff", but apparently I should stop doing that.

They won't let employees carry at the one by me...

Maple Syrup Actual
06-30-2014, 08:29 PM
I LOL'ed. :D
I also lold, for real.

Mossyrock
07-10-2014, 12:27 PM
The Cabelas local to me has a few folks who know what they are talking about, but not many. The guys in the Gun Library are usually pretty good, but they need to fire their used gun buyer. He pays WAY too much for something he thinks is collectable, gets in way too deep on it, then they are forced to ask a ridiculous price for something that is worth half their asking price. Case in point.....the local Cabelas has had two 1903 "NRA Sporters" over the last three years. The first one was an obvious fake with the wrong stock and wrong barrel. They paid too much for it, but they finally sucked it up and discounted it to a price reflecting what it really was; a 1903 Springfield with a Lyman 48 in an M1922 stock. Nicely done, but not worth the $1,800 or the NRA Sporter monicker they hung on it. The second was, oddly enough, ANOTHER 1903 "NRA Sporter" that they had priced at $2,800. Wrong barrel, wrong serial number range, wrong bolt for the serial number range, serial number not etched on the bolt...all of which was pointed out to them. They refused to come down on the price and continued to advertise it as a genuine NRA Sporter. Myself and two other folks I know advised the store management AND corporate HQs of the situation, and they didn't change it. Some uninformed idiot finally bought it at the listed price. I later found out that while they had it listed for $2,800, they had PAID $2,200 for it! Last I heard, the guy who bought the gun was still working there...

HCM
07-10-2014, 12:52 PM
On a more positive note, I actually found CCI Mini Mags and pistol powder (titegroup) on the shelf during my most recent foray to Cabelas!