PDA

View Full Version : Holiday travel question

TORCH2J
11-26-2013, 08:57 PM
I personally think this is an odd question, but lately I've found myself wondering whether I should bring a rifle with me when I travel.

I normally bring a handgun and spare with me, but for some reason as I get older I feel as if I'm getting more paranoid.

This Thanksgiving, I'm taking my kids camping at a semi rural area in the North GA mountains and while I love the area, for some reason I've always felt uneasy around there.

So I guess what I'm asking is how many of you travel with a long gun, how you carry carry it in the vehicle and what kind of a basic load you bring with you?

Thanks

Peter

pangloss
11-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Unless I'm planning on shooting during my travels, I usually only take my G26 and perhaps a G19 or 17. If I'm hiking/camping, I just take my G26. However, if you don't mind carrying a rifle with you, I don't see much reason for not taking one. Will you be camping near your automobile or down the trail a ways?

I've hiked in the Cohutta Wilderness area a couple of times and once over around Blairsville. There's some pretty country in N. Georgia.

JDM
11-26-2013, 11:14 PM
I generally don't travel with a long gun unless I plan on using it at my destination...like if I was going camping.

If I take my AR, I usually take two magazines in addition to the magazine in the gun.

If I take my shotgun, I take 10 slugs, 10 buck and five birdshot, in addition to what is in the gun.

YVK
11-27-2013, 12:35 AM
So I guess what I'm asking is how many of you travel with a long gun, how you carry carry it in the vehicle and what kind of a basic load you bring with you?

Thanks

Peter

I've done it a few times, usually when traveling off beaten path. Since my bigger concern is animals, most of the time it is my 870 with an assortment of buckshot and slugs. I have a nondescript cordura bag for it.
I've taken a rifle twice with me. First time was just to see how it would work. During that trip, we had a mild medical emergency and had to drive back home through deserted places, woods and mountains at night. I was very happy I had a rifle. Second time was a trip to Vegas relatively shortly after the Mumbai attack.
I prefer SCAR for this role as it fits into a tennis bag. I usually take two mags of a barrier blind ammo.
Both of my bags can be locked with a TSA lock and secured with a cable in a car trunk.

Chuck Haggard
11-27-2013, 08:28 AM
If I am doing something that takes a long gun like hunting or a class then I bring the appropriate long gun for that activity, with a plan on how to use it in a fight if need be. That takes a bit more thought when it's a .308 bolt gun or my 28" 11-87

When on just regular stuff I often do not, however, comma, I have a Kel Tec sub2000 that almost always goes with me on car trips for when I am not taking a long gun with me. My carry guns are all Glock 9mms and J frame snubs, the KT feeds from the same mags as my 9mms. I like that the sub2000 can go in and out of a hotel room in a small bag that looks nothing like a gun bag, it even fits in one of my smaller Camelback packs.

When we are going to be camping someplace that is close to the vehicle, and in an area where there may also be bears, then I have been known to have a Mossberg 500/590 or a Mosin carbine on hand as well.

I hate not being able to positively lock up any gun I have to leave in a car. The Mosin can have the bolt pulled in about two seconds, and that part is easy for me to secure. Good luck on a bad guy who can find a bolt and someone to fit it if they steal the gun that way.

TORCH2J
11-27-2013, 09:50 AM
If I am doing something that takes a long gun like hunting or a class then I bring the appropriate long gun for that activity, with a plan on how to use it in a fight if need be. That takes a bit more thought when it's a .308 bolt gun or my 28" 11-87

When on just regular stuff I often do not, however, comma, I have a Kel Tec sub2000 that almost always goes with me on car trips for when I am not taking a long gun with me. My carry guns are all Glock 9mms and J frame snubs, the KT feeds from the same mags as my 9mms. I like that the sub2000 can go in and out of a hotel room in a small bag that looks nothing like a gun bag, it even fits in one of my smaller Camelback packs.

When we are going to be camping someplace that is close to the vehicle, and in an area where there may also be bears, then I have been known to have a Mossberg 500/590 or a Mosin carbine on hand as well.

I hate not being able to positively lock up any gun I have to leave in a car. The Mosin can have the bolt pulled in about two seconds, and that part is easy for me to secure. Good luck on a bad guy who can find a bolt and someone to fit it if they steal the gun that way.

Thanks. Securing the rifle if I'm going to be gone from the car for a while is always in the back of my mind. The Mosin example is food for thought.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the sub2000. I've liked the concept from a distance, but the company's spotty record for reliability has been a turn off.

On a separate note, thanks to all of you for your thought out replies. I've never been a shotgun guy, preferring rifles and carbines, but lately I've been thinking about adding that tool to my tool box.

Chuck Haggard
11-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Mosins, other bolt guns, and ARs for that matter, all have a bolt or BCG that can be quickly and easily removed. Without that part the gun is worthless. Joe Crackhead might be able to find an AR BCG, but it won't be at Wal Mart. He'll likely never be able to find a bolt for a Mosin/Mauser/SMLE/etc.

A shotgun no workee that way, but then they also throw big slugs, or birdshot, so that may be a consideration depending on where you are and what you are doing. A pump gun is easy to secure with a bike cable through the action. I used to do so when I kept a Mossberg 500 behind the seat of my truck a lot. Ran the cable though the seat mount, in the loading post and out the ejection port. The skeleton shell lifter on those guns made it easy to do.

The sub2000 in 9mm is the one gun that KT seems to have gotten right. Mine went the first 1200 rounds without cleaning, and I only cleaned it because it was spewing cud onto people's clothes when they shot the gun. It's over 2000 rounds now with zero stoppages. Feeds JHPs or ball ammo, everything from 115gr to 147gr, including 124gr +P (I follow the book advice and do not run +P+ through that gun). I know of several other sub2000 9mms that run as well as mine does, several that use Glock mags and one that uses S&W 3rd gen 9mm mags.

David Armstrong
11-27-2013, 10:23 AM
I've got one of the old NEF 12-gauge Survivor shotguns that gets tossed into the trunk any time I travel. It's not much of a fighting gun as it is a single-shot, but it will do a number of things the handgun won't. I store a variety of shot sizes in it and a couple of slugs for long-range stuff. If I feel like taking a reach out and touch someone gun, which I often do if heading to the high plains or the desert, I like to put my .303 Quest Carbine conversion from Gibbs Rifle in the vehicle.

Chuck Haggard
11-27-2013, 10:34 AM
I often wish I had never sold my .303 Jungle Carbine. That was a handy little bolt gun.

Tamara
11-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Drove with a friend from Knoxville to Terlingua. Due to an out-of-gas adventure just outside Alpine, TX on the second day, we elected to overnight in Alpine rather than arrive at our host's place at 0mygawd30.

The motel room we were given showed signs of the door and jamb having been repaired after a forced entry. Instead of just carrying his long guns into the hotel room for the night, my traveling companion loaded them and asked if I'd prefer the HK91 or the FAL next to my bed. I thought it was rather gentlemanly of him to give me first pick. :D

TORCH2J
11-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Drove with a friend from Knoxville to Terlingua. Due to an out-of-gas adventure just outside Alpine, TX on the second day, we elected to overnight in Alpine rather than arrive at our host's place at 0mygawd30.

The motel room we were given showed signs of the door and jamb having been repaired after a forced entry. Instead of just carrying his long guns into the hotel room for the night, my traveling companion loaded them and asked if I'd prefer the HK91 or the FAL next to my bed. I thought it was rather gentlemanly of him to give me first pick. :D

Obviously a well brought up southern gentleman of the old school. :) Hotel rooms like that are what taught me to bring my own doorstop and spare gun. That way one stays in the holster on the pants and one on the nightstand. 'Cause redundancy you know.

Malamute
11-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Usually always have a rifle along. When in more civilized country, I have a model 12 Winchester that's been cut down to 20" barrel with rifle sights and sling added. It takes down into a 20" package (receiver/buttstock length). I had a black soft case made for it taken down, and lay it on top of my black overnight duffel I take into the room. It's pretty much invisible as such, and has never raised the slightest notice when carrying it in or out of rooms. It fits in a small suitcase, and in a largish day pack also. Also try to get the same rooms at the same places when travelling so I can see my vehicle right outside the room, and that have good dog areas.

The model 12 gets put together and left loaded by the bed while I'm in the room, besides whatever pistol(s) I may have.

And yes, quite gentlemanly to offer first choice! (Which did you choose?)

ST911
11-27-2013, 11:21 AM
My travel variables are compatible with a long gun, so I usually have one.

I often wish I had never sold my .303 Jungle Carbine. That was a handy little bolt gun.

Truth. .303 or the converted .308 models.

abu fitna
11-27-2013, 11:25 AM
I think this is definitely where a SBR, folding stock variant, or even something like an AR pistol definitely shows utility in terms of being easier to schlep, secure, and provide options for beyond handgun range encounters that might occur in some types of travel. The small platform envelope has much more flexibility than a full long gun in most situations, in my experience.

Now, there are many places where legally this may not be an option that is available to you, but as always that is something to be considered for each destination and transit locale along the way.

Your mileage may vary. I certainly know there are folks that very much dislike short rifle lengths, and especially those in pistol configuration (and even more that dislike these in pistol caliber, but that is another discussion.)

Malamute
11-27-2013, 11:27 AM

I had a previously chopped No4, I cut it back to 19", shortened the fore end a bit similar to a Krag carbine, and had a 1917 front sight installed. Figured it would be a good long gun for places like Canada that you couldn't have them loaded in a vehicle, but sold it in a fit of poorness. Was a nice carbine though.

Chuck Whitlock
11-27-2013, 09:38 PM

When in more civilized country, I have a model 12 Winchester that's been cut down to 20" barrel with rifle sights and sling added. It takes down into a 20" package (receiver/buttstock length). I had a black soft case made for it taken down, and lay it on top of my black overnight duffel I take into the room. It's pretty much invisible as such, and has never raised the slightest notice when carrying it in or out of rooms. It fits in a small suitcase, and in a largish day pack also. Also try to get the same rooms at the same places when travelling so I can see my vehicle right outside the room, and that have good dog areas.

These put me in mind of the new take-down 10/22's. I know it's only a .22, but half of a BX-25 would probably ruin some turd's weekend.

Odin Bravo One
11-27-2013, 09:56 PM
I don't normally pack a rifle when I travel for the holidays, but decided this year to make sure it is on the packing list, along with 4 spare mags, a spare pistol mag, and a grenade.

Chuck Haggard
11-27-2013, 11:00 PM
I don't normally pack a rifle when I travel for the holidays, but decided this year to make sure it is on the packing list, along with 4 spare mags, a spare pistol mag, and a grenade.

I am noting a trend among the guys who do special things in special places.

----------------------------
And yup, a 10-22 take-down would be a nice lightweight piece. That 25 round mags work really well now is a plus.

For my sub2000 I have a sorta active-shooter type shoulder slung go-bag MOLLE thingy that has a SMG pouch on it, along with the blow-out kit and some other bits. The SMG pouch holds the Glock 31 round mags nicely.

Tamara
11-27-2013, 11:32 PM
These put me in mind of the new take-down 10/22's. I know it's only a .22, but half of a BX-25 would probably ruin some turd's weekend.

My stainless Marlin Papoose rode in the trunk of my roadster for years.

SGT_Calle
11-28-2013, 10:04 AM
This thread has got me thinking really hard about picking up a sub2000 and putting together a emergency bag with it in it.

LHS
11-28-2013, 11:01 AM
When I go out to the desert, or to see my buddy in South Phoenix, I have an old AKMS underfolder that rides up front with me. I find the 20-rd Hungarian "tanker" mags complement it quite well.

Malamute
11-28-2013, 11:02 AM
The model 12. It takes about 15 seconds to put together, and holds 6 in the tube. With Brennekes at 25 yards it shot much better than I expected, under 2".

I'd like to have a takedown Winchester 94 or 92, but this works.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/IMG_5665_zps54eb5199.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/IMG_5666_zps5d5c5c50.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/IMG_5667_zps4e6bee16.jpg

Malamute
11-28-2013, 11:09 AM
When I go out to the desert, or to see my buddy in South Phoenix, I have an old AKMS underfolder that rides up front with me. I find the 20-rd Hungarian "tanker" mags complement it quite well.

That makes a pretty compact vehicle gun. The Romanian side folders can be easily attached to standard stocked guns also.

ST911
11-28-2013, 11:16 AM
My stainless Marlin Papoose rode in the trunk of my roadster for years.

I like my Papoose very much, but wish it had an extended magazine option. As I've passed it on to the kiddos, I also wish there was an easy way to shorten the stock.

Tamara
11-28-2013, 11:32 AM
I like my Papoose very much, but wish it had an extended magazine option.

Yeah, me too. I mean, the factory ten-rounders have been super reliable, but they're about the polar opposite of "drop-free". Having to wrestle with the gat every ten rounds is a pain.

David Armstrong
11-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Yep, it is my favorite knock-around gun. Good crossover for hunting, fighting or fun shooting. I wish the ammo were a bit easier to find these days, but outside of that there isn't much to complain about, IMO.

GJM
11-28-2013, 12:40 PM
That model 12 is a classy package.

I can't remember a SINGLE trip in Alaska where we didn't have a 12 gauge, 45-70, .375 H&H or another long gun along.

Chuck Haggard
11-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Malamute, is that a factory barrel with the rifle sights, or did you have that built?

I have a model 12 my father in-law gave me that was his dad's, has a 28 and 32" barrel for it. Thought about getting one of those cut down, but if there is a store bought slug barrel solution that would be nice.

Jason F
11-28-2013, 02:14 PM
This thread has got me thinking really hard about picking up a sub2000 and putting together a emergency bag with it in it.

I've had the same platform on my short list of "things to add to the car kit" for both my vehicle and hers.

We left this morning for my sister-in-laws place. I've got my EDC 1911 of course... but i really did want to grab my AR and just have it in the trunk. Partly because I know they've got nothing in their house... I don't know. I thought I was crazy for a few minutes, and ended up leaving it at home.

Now I see I'm not the only one who had that thought. It's always fun to be in good company I guess. :D

Malamute
11-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Malamute, is that a factory barrel with the rifle sights, or did you have that built?

I have a model 12 my father in-law gave me that was his dad's, has a 28 and 32" barrel for it. Thought about getting one of those cut down, but if there is a store bought slug barrel solution that would be nice.

I chopped it. It was already cut, and was in pretty rough shape all around, but I didn't complain for $175 for the gun. The front sight is a Williams Shorty ramp with a bead, the rear is from a Remington 700 that was milled to the barrel contour of the 12 ga, and both were sweated on. The rear sight is a bit too far back, its too close to where your hand wants to be at the balance point.

I think you can buy front ends for them, or a barrel and swap parts with one of yours. I'd probably buy a complete beater gun and sell the receiver if I wanted a spare front end for an existing gun I didn't want to cut. The ones I've fooled with interchange easily. The barrel collar adjustment has another lifetime or two of room left in it, and a barrel from a different gun will adjust to your receiver easily.

If you can find a cheap beater, one that's rattly loose and nobody wants it, get it cheap, then adjust it to tight as new in 5 minutes with a Swiss Army Knife.

I had the forcing cone opened up to modern configuration, that gun was from the 20's or early 30's I think.

Someone mentioned Alaska. I chopped the Model 12 for a "drive through Canada" gun as much as anything. I figured taken down in a day pack was far preferable to two miles away and in the vehicle if I REALLY needed gun. One place I stopped along the way had signs about bears in the area. A couple years after I was there, a bear killed a couple people on that very trail/place I had been. Somebody ran all the way back to the parking area and found someone with a gun to come kill the bear, but not before it killed the two people. I was pretty self conscious, only having my Randall knife on me at the time for protection. After hearing the story later, I decided I wasn't going back through Canada without a long gun I could take nearly anywhere.

GJM
11-28-2013, 03:20 PM
I have traveled quite a bit in BC, the Yukon, Alberta and NWT by light plane and helicopter, most often with a 45-70 or 12 gauge along in the aircraft. Some of our Canadian members can fill us in on the law, but I just haven't seen folks out recreating with firearms, except while actively hunting. Bear spray, a knife and a G,G&G battle, I mean rescue axe, have been our companions out hiking.

Malamute
11-28-2013, 03:47 PM
I have traveled quite a bit in BC, the Yukon, Alberta and NWT by light plane and helicopter, most often with a 45-70 or 12 gauge along in the aircraft. Some of our Canadian members can fill us in on the law, but I just haven't seen folks out recreating with firearms, except while actively hunting. Bear spray, a knife and a G,G&G battle, I mean rescue axe, have been our companions out hiking.

It's been a while since I was up that way, its more complicated to get in with guns as far as paperwork, but I don't think the basics have changed. According to the Canadian Firearms Centre, it's acceptable for a non resident visitor to have a firearm in Canada as protection from wild animals, but not people. The times I've been through, I always had several long gungs. I didn't have any trouble going in at any time, though I was heading to Alaska. The different provinces and territories had different laws about if they had to be unloaded in a vehicle, BC was cased and unloaded, Yukon, not required. Out tooling around in the woods, I don't think anyone would raise an eyebrow. In a park or fairly popular area, it may be interesting, if not outright prohibited to openly carry a gun. It likely depends on if its a developed park or just a natural area. Unloaded and broken down in a day pack, I think it would depend on the place, but be less of a problem. Most of my travels were in the less populated areas. I don't recall see any signs about no guns in the one place mentioned where the people were killed, but I may be misrembering. I figured I'd cross that bridge when I came to it in each place, but I haven't made it back up since I put the Model 12 together.

I mostly camped in undeveloped* camp sites when I drove up.

*as in a gravel pit along the road, or some tiny two track going off into the woods.

Coyotesfan97
11-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Did someone say Jungle Carbine?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c310/coyotesfan97/IMG_0869.jpg (http://s30.photobucket.com/user/coyotesfan97/media/IMG_0869.jpg.html)

On our last cross country trip to Missouri I took my Mini 30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Casual Friday
11-28-2013, 07:51 PM

Me too. The Sub 2000's aren't real easy to find though.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Drang
11-29-2013, 02:56 AM
My Sub2k fits real well in a 5.11 Select Carry Sling Bag (http://www.511tactical.com/select-carry-sling-pack.html), which is pretty "gray man", even if you don't go for the gray color. :p PALS webbing inside for attaching mag pouches, etc. Wouldn't choose the Sub2k for the Battle of Fallujah, of course, but for defense against 2-legged critters, and most 4 legged ones in the Continental US, it'll do.

I'm also fond of my 10/22 TD, although the case that comes with it could be improved, IMHO.

Sold my Jungle Carbine, inaccurate POS it was, but I wish the Gibbs Rifle Company was still building new Jungle Carbines.
An acquaintance built himself a Scout carbine from an Ishapore SMLE in 7.62mm though, which sounds like the shiznit. (Unless you can score a Wild West (http://www.wildwestguns.com/) rifle...)

Chuck Haggard
11-29-2013, 09:56 AM
I have noted my sub2000 will fit into any Camelback that takes one of the long two or three liter bladders and has a cargo pocket that length on the outside. I use my RimRunner pack often to pack it around. That's about as gray as it gets.

Casual Friday
11-29-2013, 10:02 AM
I have noted my sub2000 will fit into any Camelback that takes one of the long two or three liter bladders and has a cargo pocket that length on the outside. I use my RimRunner pack often to pack it around. That's about as gray as it gets.

I just went and measured my Camelbak and it appears that a Sub2K will just fit. Now that I have all the parts ordered for my wife's AR, I know what gun I will funding after my P30 V1.

SeriousStudent
11-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Malamute, thank you for the pics on that Model 12.

TGS
11-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Me too. The Sub 2000's aren't real easy to find though.

There's tons of them on Gunbroker. Take your pick.

You'll just have to pay, because they're in relatively high demand. If they were going for $200-$300, I'd get one......but not at their current going rate of $500.

Tamara
11-30-2013, 07:41 PM
There's tons of them on Gunbroker. Take your pick.

You'll just have to pay, because they're in relatively high demand. If they were going for $200-$300, I'd get one......but not at their current going rate of $500.

If Kel-Tec would abandon their current business model of designing SciFi prop guns they never intend to build in quantity and instead concentrate on manufacturing their core products while spending an extra five or ten bucks a gun on QC, they'd be farting through silk down there in Cocoa, FL.

There can't be a ton of money in serving as Sturm, Ruger & Co.'s uncompensated R&D lab.

Chuck Haggard
11-30-2013, 09:47 PM
If Kel-Tec would abandon their current business model of designing SciFi prop guns they never intend to build in quantity and instead concentrate on manufacturing their core products while spending an extra five or ten bucks a gun on QC, they'd be farting through silk down there in Cocoa, FL.

There can't be a ton of money in serving as Sturm, Ruger & Co.'s uncompensated R&D lab.

Word.

They could sell as many sub2000s, P32s, PF9s and P3ATs as they could build.

I bought my sub as an impulse buy, for $295 if memory serves. Turned out I should have bought two.

Drang
11-30-2013, 11:03 PM
I've said before, somewhere, that George Kelgren should consider licensing his long gun designs to one or more of the houses cranking out ARs -- maybe one design per manufacturer -- and let KelTec concentrate on inexpensive pocket pistols.

Tamara
12-01-2013, 09:27 AM
I've said before, somewhere, that George Kelgren should consider licensing his long gun designs to one or more of the houses cranking out ARs --

That just brings us to the dirty secret of the AR industry. Most of the companies cranking out ARs don't have the physical plant to actually manufacture anything; they're just assembling parts from a surprisingly tiny number of actual sources.

Becoming an AR or 1911 manufacturer these days usually starts with getting a variance letter for CMT or Caspian.

TGS
12-01-2013, 09:55 AM
I've said before, somewhere, that George Kelgren should consider licensing his long gun designs to one or more of the houses cranking out ARs -- maybe one design per manufacturer -- and let KelTec concentrate on inexpensive pocket pistols.

Eh.....their SU16 could certainly use a little redesign, too. No use in buying a gun that is nearly guaranteed to break its own receiver within a few thousand rounds.

SeriousStudent
12-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Snagged a Winchester Model 12 today at Cabela's for a very reasonable price.

Locks up tight, wood was very serviceable walnut, and the serial number shows it was made in 1929. The LOP was already nice for me, and has a slip-on buttpad witch will offer sufficient cushion.

All I have to do is have my fave local gun mechanic reduce the barrel down to 18.5 inches, and mount the X\S Big Dot tritium front sight, and it will be good. I am going to order some replacement springs, cause I'm cautious like that, and love spare parts for all my weapons. Should only be about $400 total for the project.

I thought of one slight twist on Malamute's excellent case. I'll have some Velcro loop sew into the interior, so I can use some Velcro cards with multiple ammo types - I'm thinking slugs, 00 Buck and #4 Buck. Maybe some Velcro on the outside, so I can put some innocuous patch on the exterior: "Jim Bob's Roofing Supply Company" or some such.

Malamute, thanks again for the excellent suggestion. I have several road trips planned next year, which will take me places where this would be an excellent choice.

Malamute
12-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Congrats on finding a decent old model 12!

I kept a spare firing pin in the hollow under the butt plate on a former model 12 I had. I forgot to get it out when I sold it. The hollow in a model 12 butt would probably have enough room for the spare springs and such besides a firing pin.

Been planning to add a firing pin under the butt plate or pad of a couple of regular working guns.

If you end up getting a pad put on, have them give it a touch of negative angle to the toe, about 1/8" in from square with the top of the stock. It supposedly helps keep the muzzle down some when shooting. The shorter toe also doesn't hang up as much on clothes for me.

Have your shotgun guy open up the forcing cone to modern specs also, the older ones were pretty abrupt.

SeriousStudent
12-01-2013, 07:09 PM
I'll do that. Thank you again for all the advice, it's much appreciated.

LHS
12-01-2013, 08:12 PM
My grandfather still curses the day that Winchester stopped making the Model 12. He's been squirrel and turkey hunting with the same M12 for over 50 years, and he bought the gun used back when he was in the Navy in the mid-50s.

TORCH2J
12-02-2013, 03:27 PM
As a sort of mini AAR, I took the kids cabin camping in North GA this past long weekend and spent a little time traipsing about on the beginning of the AT. I brought along an AR for the evenings at the cabin.

While on the trail, I pulled the BCG from the rifle and left it in the trunk. At night, it stayed indoors with us. My comfort level was significantly increased.

Unfortunately for my wallet, this also made me decide to jump into the SBR and suppressor world. While I've used SBRs for work, I've never been tempted before to get one for the house since I don't have custody of the kids. I think that if I were to continue bringing along an AR as a long gun, the suppressed SBR will be the way to go. Now the wait begins.

Oh, and thanks to Malamute (I think) for posting the pics of the Model 12. I really needed to start hunting for a shotgun, like I need to start looking for a new wife. One out of two isn't bad.

SGT_Calle
12-02-2013, 05:10 PM
I saw this yesterday and thought it might be relevant to this conversation. Looks like a nice way to carry a long gun and assorted accessories.
http://www.2vetsarms.com/LBT-2VA-Covert-Pack-p/covert-pack.htm

SeriousStudent
12-02-2013, 10:43 PM
I saw this yesterday and thought it might be relevant to this conversation. Looks like a nice way to carry a long gun and assorted accessories.
http://www.2vetsarms.com/LBT-2VA-Covert-Pack-p/covert-pack.htm

Interesting.

I have one of the Noveske discreet cases, from the original batch a few years ago. I like it, have used it, and have loaned it to friends that have used it. It's less expensive, but does not have all the capabilities of the pack you linked to.

http://shopnoveske.com/collections/extras/products/concealed-carry-backpack

Mine is one of the original red/black ones with no logos. Very well made.

ST911
12-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Interesting.

I have one of the Noveske discreet cases, from the original batch a few years ago. I like it, have used it, and have loaned it to friends that have used it. It's less expensive, but does not have all the capabilities of the pack you linked to.

http://shopnoveske.com/collections/extras/products/concealed-carry-backpack

Mine is one of the original red/black ones with no logos. Very well made.

An Eagle bag, if I'm not mistaken.

SeriousStudent
12-02-2013, 11:49 PM
An Eagle bag, if I'm not mistaken.

Yup, that first set was a collaboration with Eagle Industries. I have no data on the more recent ones.