PDA

View Full Version : Regional Training Subforum?

EricP
06-01-2011, 06:49 PM
I keep hearing that having a competent training partner is a huge asset to making progress towards being a better shooter. I agree with this 100%.

It seems that a good portion of the membership is located in the mid Atlantic area. For those of us not from there, finding other shooters interested in training or doing something other than shooting dirt can be difficult. Wading through local forums can be trying at best.

Has a regional training subforum ever been considered here at Pistol-Forum?

Thanks for any consideration.

Eric

NickA
06-02-2011, 06:05 AM
+1. I've been meaning to start a thread to round up the TX shooters but a subforum would be better.

JDM
06-02-2011, 05:15 PM
How would it work?
would it be broken down by parts of the country as in Southwest, Northeast etc?

EricP
06-02-2011, 05:43 PM
How would it work?
would it be broken down by parts of the country as in Southwest, Northeast etc?

Good question. I didn't want a 50 state subforum. However, some of the other regional training forums based on generalized locations were way too broad and consequently received little attention. For example, one that I have seen grouped everything from Maine to New Jersey as the Northeast. While that is technically correct, it is a lot of ground and a lot of states with varying laws.

I suppose that the parts of the country approach is the best option with the threads within that subforum being more localized.

If anyone else has other ideas, I'd like to hear them.

Eric

John Ralston
06-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Maybe those wishing to find a high quality training partner would post a "Wanted" or similar and the specific area. Then those in that area that would like to participate could reply. This would limit the threads only to those that were actively looking for someone to train with. If the number of threads grows to be unmanageable, then they could be grouped into broader sub forums.

DannyZRC
06-03-2011, 10:48 PM
maybe a single subforum for location based training etc.

forum could contain threads for each range, with a standardized naming format so it can be found via search (IE, range named and city/state in thread title).

people could then search for ranges near them and see if anything comes up, and post their range if they get nada.

just spitballin'

SecondsCount
06-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Good question. I didn't want a 50 state subforum. However, some of the other regional training forums based on generalized locations were way too broad and consequently received little attention. For example, one that I have seen grouped everything from Maine to New Jersey as the Northeast. While that is technically correct, it is a lot of ground and a lot of states with varying laws.

Eric

I agreee that this would be the best way to to do it as well.

RJ
10-15-2019, 05:45 PM
Necro bump.

So I was actually thinking about this the other day, did a search, and this thread popped up.

Seems to me recently I’ve seen new member ask for training advice regarding classes in their area. One of the most important items of information a trainer can post is the class location.

Would it not make sense to put these two target groups in touch with a thoughtfully defined set of regional sub groups within the current “one size fits most” Regional Training forum we have now?

LittleLebowski
10-26-2019, 11:50 AM
I need a more detailed request/suggestion.

David S.
10-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Can you guys just start a thread for your area or state or area in the current Regional Training sub forum and see how it goes?

Rich could start a SW FL thread, One of DFW folks could start a DFW thread, and go from there. Based on what I've seen on other forums, regional subforums typically don't get much, if any action.

RJ
10-26-2019, 10:13 PM
I need a more detailed request/suggestion.

You bet:

Add a sub-forum layer under the current “Regional Forum” area.

Each new sub-forum would correspond to a selected geographic region of the US. This could be similar to USPSA Areas, for example:

http://www.uspsa8.org/?page_id=90

The advantage of separate regional sub forums would be to promote both trainers and those looking to train a central, geographically focused sub forum to find each other.

Currently, the Regional Forum allows classes nationwide to be posted. It is my view that the primary selection criteria of the average trainee / trainer in taking / offering a class is in terms of where it will be provided.

A breakout of the Regional Forum into a number of sub-forums would imho assist greatly in facilitating this.

National or significant interest classes could of course still be posted at the Forum Level.

scjbash
10-30-2019, 08:59 PM
You bet:

Each new sub-forum would correspond to a selected geographic region of the US.

I like this idea. As one of the forum's few Mountaineers I'll add this in advance. WV belongs in the South subforum. We occasionally get put in Northeast subforums and that's just fucked up.

Edited to add: We got fucked in that USPSA map as well. :D Nobody here identifies as Midwestern.

rcbusmc24
11-08-2019, 09:39 AM
I like this idea. As one of the forum's few Mountaineers I'll add this in advance. WV belongs in the South subforum. We occasionally get put in Northeast subforums and that's just fucked up.

Edited to add: We got fucked in that USPSA map as well. :D Nobody here identifies as Midwestern.

Ya'll had your chance to be in the south...... now you have to deal with the consequences.....

Also concur with all above, need to get the Eastern NC group started up, for when I get back from deployment... I got ranges and access to share with friends and shit....

LittleLebowski
11-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Did I miss a specific request? Holler.

RJ
11-08-2019, 02:08 PM
Did I miss a specific request? Holler.

Yes please.

1) I would like to request the addition of several (TBD) "REGIONAL SUBFORUMS" underneath the current REGIONAL FORUM.

Rationale is as follows. Here is a screenshot of the current regional forum:

As you can see, the Regional Forum is currently "flat", and all threads posted in it are "at the same level" or across the entirety of the USA and world. It is my thinking that, with the simple addition of one more layer "under" the current regional forum, that those seeking training, as well as those offering training, would have a more centralized sub-forum for which to seek and provide firearms training.

The first thing I look for, after determining which instructor I would like to train with, is where the class will be offered. I am in Tampa FL. Classes which take place in Oregon are too far for me to go. But, I would possibly consider a day's journey as well as a hotel reservation if I could locate training "near" me, or within my "Region", if you will.

2) As an example of what I am talking about, please see the screen shot below of the current "GENERAL DISCUSSION" forum.

Please note the "Coterie Club" Subforum, which appears "under" the GENERAL DISCUSSION Forum.

In a like manner, the new set of "REGIONAL SUBFORUMS" could be inserted "under" the REGIONAL FORUM, enabling point 1) above.

3) It would need to be determined what, exactly, constituted a "REGION" for the purposes of the new REGIONAL SUBFORUM. As an example that could be leveraged, the current USPSA national map is divided into 8 regions. Here is a picture of the USPSA map:

If this proposal were adopted, using (as an example) the USPSA regions, then 8 new REGIONAL SUBFORUMS would be inserted "under" the current REGIONAL forum. After this took place, then students and teachers of the pistol would then have the ability to post threads seeking and offering training, geographically, within the new REGIONAL SUBFORUMS.

This would facilitate the primary Mission Statement of this site, namely, "...for Teachers and Students of the Pistol".

Rich

RJ
06-14-2020, 04:34 PM
Yes please.

1) I would like to request the addition of several (TBD) "REGIONAL SUBFORUMS" underneath the current REGIONAL FORUM.

Rationale is as follows. Here is a screenshot of the current regional forum:

As you can see, the Regional Forum is currently "flat", and all threads posted in it are "at the same level" or across the entirety of the USA and world. It is my thinking that, with the simple addition of one more layer "under" the current regional forum, that those seeking training, as well as those offering training, would have a more centralized sub-forum for which to seek and provide firearms training.

The first thing I look for, after determining which instructor I would like to train with, is where the class will be offered. I am in Tampa FL. Classes which take place in Oregon are too far for me to go. But, I would possibly consider a day's journey as well as a hotel reservation if I could locate training "near" me, or within my "Region", if you will.

2) As an example of what I am talking about, please see the screen shot below of the current "GENERAL DISCUSSION" forum.

Please note the "Coterie Club" Subforum, which appears "under" the GENERAL DISCUSSION Forum.

In a like manner, the new set of "REGIONAL SUBFORUMS" could be inserted "under" the REGIONAL FORUM, enabling point 1) above.

3) It would need to be determined what, exactly, constituted a "REGION" for the purposes of the new REGIONAL SUBFORUM. As an example that could be leveraged, the current USPSA national map is divided into 8 regions. Here is a picture of the USPSA map:

If this proposal were adopted, using (as an example) the USPSA regions, then 8 new REGIONAL SUBFORUMS would be inserted "under" the current REGIONAL forum. After this took place, then students and teachers of the pistol would then have the ability to post threads seeking and offering training, geographically, within the new REGIONAL SUBFORUMS.

This would facilitate the primary Mission Statement of this site, namely, "...for Teachers and Students of the Pistol".

Rich

Bump?

David S.
06-14-2020, 04:41 PM
I’ve chosen to use the USPSA area maps for regional stuff on my site. It’s a s good as any.

Due to the COVID, I don’t have a map up, but you can search by “FirearmsTrainingHub.com/area**”

**fill in your area number, 1-8, here.