PDA

View Full Version : Magwell on a Glock for duty use?

secondstoryguy
11-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Do you guys think a magwell is a good or bad idea on a duty pistol? They are authorized for use and I plan to try one in the near future. I like the idea of protecting the butt of the pistol (Glock) against premature wear and tear from banging into things as well as reducing the "fumble factor" of reloads. Most of the training cadre that I have been working with uses them and has good things to say about them but I wanted an outside opinion.

The guys I've seen use Lightning Strike base pads and claim to have good luck with them. Any other suggestions as far as magazine basepads go?

Dr. No
11-23-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't see any issue with duty use as long as you can still rip the magazine out of the magwell if it becomes stuck due to malfunction. Sometimes an extended basepad makes this easiest, but that may also effect reliability if you don't have a good system.

Make sure to test it and vet all your equipment thoroughly before you start using it at work.

LittleLebowski
11-23-2013, 02:07 PM
How are your reloads on the timer? Using a contoured plug from Glockmeister, I and many others on this site can do some pretty fast reloads.

secondstoryguy
11-23-2013, 02:22 PM
I currently have Glockmeister plugs in my guns and my mag change times are decent. I'm mainly considering a mag-well protect the exposed end of the gun from getting beat up/worn but I'm beginning to think it's not worth the trouble.

LittleLebowski
11-23-2013, 02:23 PM
My mag change times are decent, I'm mainly considering a mag-well protect the exposed end of the gun from getting beat up/worn.

I wouldn't personally worry about it but it's not an expensive investment.

KevinB
11-23-2013, 03:01 PM
I used to think it was gimmick - but I've seen a number of extremely squared away folks running them, and they don;t seem to have any cons for an overt gun -- concealed its a but more bulks.

Chuck Haggard
11-23-2013, 04:39 PM
I use the Sherer grip plugs on my G17s and G19s, work almost as a funnel in that they block my ability to catch the rim of the top round in the magazine on the back edge of the mag well and thus kittening up my reload at speed.

That they keep crap out of the cavity back there is a bonus.

I'll note I get most of the benefit of having a mag well with almost zero bulk, still maintain the ability to rip a mag out of the well if need be, and all for about 7 bucks.

I see no downside. This may make me "just a gamer" though.

secondstoryguy
11-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I've got one of ALG Defense's (Geissele of AR trigger fame's sister company...I think it's his wife's company) new magwells on order to try out...we'll see how long it lasts. The ALG units look really well made:
http://www.ak47.net/forums/t_2_444/239470_ALG_Defense_Glock_22_Magwell.html&page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

I wanted one of the Sentinel magwells but they are sold out:(

Chuck Haggard
11-23-2013, 05:13 PM
On a G17 I would run +2 base pads on the mags so that they are long enough to get seated when I am in a hurry.

DocGKR
11-23-2013, 06:47 PM
I also run the Sherer grip plugs on my G19's and use the Sentinel on my G17's. Both ways work. If you choose to run a mag well, then using the OEM +2 base plates is a GOOD idea as noted by tpd223 above.

LittleLebowski
11-23-2013, 07:01 PM
On a G17 I would run +2 base pads on the mags so that they are long enough to get seated when I am in a hurry.

I've tried those and ended up needing Wolff extra power springs for reliability.

ST911
11-23-2013, 07:06 PM
I've tried those and ended up needing Wolff extra power springs for reliability.

Did you use the OEM 11-coil mag spring, or the 10?

LittleLebowski
11-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Did you use the OEM 11-coil mag spring, or the 10?

I couldn't tell you, it's been a few years.

GJM
11-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Our +2 Glock base plates work perfectly with the OEM 11 coil springs (they are stock in the .40 full size magazines).

DocGKR
11-23-2013, 07:23 PM
For the +2 baseplates on G17 mags, you absolutely need the 11 coil OEM springs, Wolff Extra Power, or the White Sound Defense mag springs for complete reliability.

Chuck Haggard
11-23-2013, 07:34 PM
For G17 mags use the OEM +2 with the Glock 11 coil G22 mag spring. The Wolff + spring also works.

G19s I like to use the 10 coil G17 mag spring. For G26 mags, those already come with the 9 coil spring that is the same as a G19 mag so no other spring is needed.

jlw
11-23-2013, 08:17 PM
I have a Sentinel Designs magwell on a G34. The main reason I leave it on there is that it makes the pistol balance more to my liking. It does not make the reloads any faster. I tried it on a 17 and didn't care for it.

I was looking forward to trying their 19/23 size, but it appears they have gone radio silent.

Dagga Boy
11-29-2013, 06:44 PM
I am not a big proponent of big magwells on duty guns. With that said, the Sentinel magwell is one I recommend for any L/E duty pistol it fits. The reason is multi-fold. First, officers are often wounded in the hands in gunfights and the Sentinel magwell helps funnel the mag in without being overly gigantic. Second, cops beat the crap out of the base of their guns getting in and out of cars. It gets particularly bad on the base of the pistol where the thin polymer loses the war against car doors and seat belts. The Sentinel magwell protects this area. Third, I can use regular Glock mags. I usually use Plus 2 plates with an 11 coil spring, but it is also possible to use stock mags without much of an issue. Fourth, for me and my hands, the Sentinel perfectly forces my hand into a proper grip. This is a critical area that is often botched on a crisis draw from L/E Duty holsters by many officers.

I have a G-17 "Duty Gun" that wears one, and another G17 that has an Aimpoint Micro that also has the Sentinel on it. On these two guns it is a great addition that I am very happy with.

Jason F
11-29-2013, 08:39 PM
....I was looking forward to trying their 19/23 size, but it appears they have gone radio silent.

I haven't spoken with Clint lately, but I know that he's been very busy including doing consulting work for a few other firms that I think has severely eaten in to his time - thus slowing all of his work on Sentinel products.

Unfortunate for the users and those waiting for Gen4 products, etc... but he's been doing great work for these other folks from what I've been told.

Heck, I'm waiting on a Gen4 G34 version too, so I wish he was cranking them out as much as the rest of you! :D

jlw
11-29-2013, 08:50 PM
I haven't spoken with Clint lately, but I know that he's been very busy including doing consulting work for a few other firms that I think has severely eaten in to his time - thus slowing all of his work on Sentinel products.

Unfortunate for the users and those waiting for Gen4 products, etc... but he's been doing great work for these other folks from what I've been told.

Heck, I'm waiting on a Gen4 G34 version too, so I wish he was cranking them out as much as the rest of you! :D

Thanks for the info.

SouthNarc
11-30-2013, 06:12 AM
I actually have one of a handful of the existing 19/23 magwells from Clint and he really hit it out of the park with the design. The difference to me in reloads is HUGE. Plus no more heel bite.

jlw
11-30-2013, 07:32 AM
I actually have one of a handful of the existing 19/23 magwells from Clint and he really hit it out of the park with the design. The difference to me in reloads is HUGE. Plus no more heel bite.

I sure wish they would hit the market. I'd probably buy two straight away.

NickDrak
11-30-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm running the Rogers magwell on my Gen4 G17 duty pistol. I like the Rogers magwell because they are relatively inexpensive, easily replaceable, and they protect the bottom of the frame which as you mentioned always tends to get chewed up by the center control console in our squad cars.

During my next furlough from work I'm going to send my frame off to ColdBore customs for a touch up on the stippling and have the frame slightly blended into the magwell opening but still allow me to replace the magwell when it gets too beat up.

secondstoryguy
11-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Nick- Thanks for the heads up on the Rogers Magwell. It looks like a great option to get me by until Sentinel cranks out more of their magwell.

We'll see how the Geissele/ALG magwell works out, I'll post a few pics when it gets here.

secondstoryguy
11-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Nick: Do you run extensions on your mags with the Rogers magwell?

LittleLebowski
11-30-2013, 01:44 PM
The Rogers units look very good, especially for the price.

http://www.holsterops.com/glock-grip-adapter-mag-well-gen4

Trajan
11-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Are the Rogers Magwells compatible with the Vickers basepads? From the pictures assuming those are standard mags, it would appear that they are.

DocGKR
11-30-2013, 04:26 PM
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/DocGKR2/G17RMR06KKM_zpsdc0dd2fc.jpg

Dave Williams
11-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Nick: Do you run extensions on your mags with the Rogers magwell?

Bill Rogers designed the mag well to work sans extensions. I used one for years on my duty gun never had a problem with stock mags.

NickDrak
11-30-2013, 08:41 PM
I do not run an extension on the mag loaded in the pistol but I do run the +5 Arredondo extensions on my reload mags.

The Rogers magwell is not compatible with the Vickers baseplates.

secondstoryguy
12-07-2013, 10:11 PM
I got both the Rogers and the ALG last week. Both look and fit well. I'll have play with them both a little more but I'm leaning toward the Rogers due to the fact that it's inexpensive and it seems you can run factory mags without extensions.