PDA

View Full Version : Israeli cowboys

LittleLebowski
11-19-2013, 02:06 PM
This resemblance to my family's cattle ranch is uncanny, even the inside of their house. I think these people would feel at home in Wyoming. Pretty cool photo gallery, looks like they have good grassland.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/israeli-cattle-ranchers/2013/11/18/358bd2c4-5072-11e3-9e2c-e1d01116fd98_gallery.html?hpid=z8#photo=1

JV_
11-19-2013, 02:08 PM
I appreciated the photography in that slideshow, most looked well done.

Tamara
11-19-2013, 03:19 PM
The article is cool. The thread title, however, immediately made me think it was a new Billy Crystal movie. ;)

Dagga Boy
11-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Golan-Hebrew for "Wyoming". That was awesome.

Tamara
11-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Golan-Hebrew for "Wyoming". That was awesome.

Except if Wyoming was, like, within Cuban artillery range, which would lend a certain level of excitement to ranching above and beyond the usual. :eek:

SecondsCount
11-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

I guess modern cowboys carry Glocks....openly. :cool:

sheriffoconee
11-19-2013, 03:58 PM
I have been to the farming/ranching area of the Golan Heights. Actually, I tried to avoid the minefields too, and I succeeded. I have some pics I took on my other 'puter I believe, let me see if I can find them and I will try to post them later tonite, but the pics attached to the OP are for real.
FYI, the "cowboy" isn't shooting a Peacemaker, but a Jericho 940

justintime
11-19-2013, 04:14 PM
This resemblance to my family's cattle ranch is uncanny, even the inside of their house. I think these people would feel at home in Wyoming. Pretty cool photo gallery, looks like they have good grassland.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/israeli-cattle-ranchers/2013/11/18/358bd2c4-5072-11e3-9e2c-e1d01116fd98_gallery.html?hpid=z8#photo=1

Crazy! That looks very similar to my families as well.

Dagga Boy
11-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Except if Wyoming was, like, within Cuban artillery range, which would lend a certain level of excitement to ranching above and beyond the usual. :eek:

Having been to Wyoming a couple of times, I am betting that the Wyoming folks would have already taken over Cuba and made ranch land or have it drilled for something productive.

Slavex
11-19-2013, 05:16 PM
interesting the things you learn.

Something I hate however are websites with ads that have no volume control, of if they do have one it's hidden somewhere in a little tiny corner. Of course these ads also have to play at top volume, instead of at say, a medium or quiet volume.

Tamara
11-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Having been to Wyoming a couple of times, I am betting that the Wyoming folks would have already taken over Cuba and made ranch land or have it drilled for something productive.

LLOL! :D

I approve this posting.

NickA
11-19-2013, 05:38 PM
FYI, the "cowboy" isn't shooting a Peacemaker, but a Jericho 940

From what looks like a pretty decent iso stance, too. I didn't notice any in the pics, but now I wonder what kind of long guns they keep and how close they keep them.

Very interesting pics, thanks for posting.

sheriffoconee
11-19-2013, 06:05 PM
From what looks like a pretty decent iso stance, too. I didn't notice any in the pics, but now I wonder what kind of long guns they keep and how close they keep them.

Private ownership of firearms in Israel is problematic. From the way he is shooting I suspect that "cowboy" is a military and/or police (Border Police) reservist or active duty police officer.
I have been to their firearms school, and the entire country learns to shoot handguns the same way, and virtually every handgun in the country is a Jericho or a Glock, all in 9mm. Every now and then you will see something outlaw in a cops holster, but there is usually a good reason for it.
They shoot from an empty chamber, and draw from a Fobus holster to eye level and rack the slide and start shooting. If you don't know any better, and it is the way you practice, then watching it seems very fast. I will try to find some pics

The only long guns I saw in the entire country were M4 types, Tavors, and Micro Galils. There are others in museums but for duty folks that was it

justintime
11-19-2013, 06:07 PM

I would be interested in that as well. Wonder if they run something modern or a lever gun.

sheriffoconee
11-19-2013, 06:22 PM
I spent two weeks in Israel with the National Police, Border Police and IDF. Nary a lever gun in sight. Either military weapon, Glock, or Jericho 940 Period.
Uzi's, AK variants in museums and on displays, homemade firearms on display, captured rockets, RPG's etc. But no "sporting rifles" whatsoever

LittleLebowski
11-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Private ownership of firearms in Israel is problematic.

So many American gun owners don't know this.

sheriffoconee
11-19-2013, 06:59 PM
So many American gun owners don't know this.

They see pics of cute girls in bikinis with a slung M4 and think everyone owns guns. There is VERY little sport shooting, in fact it seems like I was told you can buy a shotgun IF you can get a permit from the Government. Other than that, most all firearms are issued by the Government

BLR
11-19-2013, 07:04 PM
They see pics of cute girls in bikinis with a slung M4.

I choose to make this my reality.

Thank you very much.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

sheriffoconee
11-19-2013, 07:35 PM
I guess i have to host pics and videos on Photobucket or such before I can post them??

BLR
11-19-2013, 07:42 PM
You can email me directly.

NickA
11-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the insights Sheriff, I thought gun ownership in Israel would be common, given the nature of their neighborhood, so to speak.
That 1911guy is obsessed with gun totin' bikini clad women surprises me not at all :D

SeriousStudent
11-19-2013, 08:46 PM

I thought the same thing - just add an old Ford flatbed truck here and there, and change the pistols to 1911's. It was a lot like our place out in West Texas, except we had a lot more rocks, and less green stuff. We ran polled Herefords, and the hands raised goats to eat for cabrito.

And there were fewer AK's in West Texas then. Today there are a lot more, but the people carrying them don't have a Texas accent.

Dagga Boy
11-19-2013, 09:14 PM
I thought the same thing - just add an old Ford flatbed truck here and there, and change the pistols to 1911's. It was a lot like our place out in West Texas, except we had a lot more rocks, and less green stuff. We ran polled Herefords, and the hands raised goats to eat for cabrito.

And there were fewer AK's in West Texas then. Today there are a lot more, but the people carrying them don't have a Texas accent.

You would be shocked at how many of the same "enemies" of both the Israeli's and ours are coming over the border down there.......its the "dirty little secret".

BLR
11-19-2013, 09:18 PM
You would be shocked at how many of the same "enemies" of both the Israeli's and ours are coming over the border down there.......its the "dirty little secret".

Dude. We don't have enemies. I thought everyone loved us now. You know, after the Nobel Prize and all. Even Mrs O is proud now.

SeriousStudent
11-19-2013, 10:16 PM

I have relatives and friends that still live out there. Picking up litter from people "just passing through to a better life" was an old habit we all had.

The discards look a lot different now. So do the firearms the ranchers carry. I had a serious discussion with an uncle about a Noveske N6 and what optic to put on it. It gets harder and harder to talk about staying put.

justintime
11-19-2013, 10:46 PM
I have relatives and friends that still live out there. Picking up litter from people "just passing through to a better life" was an old habit we all had.

The discards look a lot different now. So do the firearms the ranchers carry. I had a serious discussion with an uncle about a Noveske N6 and what optic to put on it. It gets harder and harder to talk about staying put.

haha same here, my whole life my grandpa has stayed away from autos since it is so hard to keep them running in south Texas cattle country. Now it seems like he is doing everything to find something that will run after one of his hands was hog-tied and executed in one of the cabins. All I use to see were 30-30s and the like, now I am starting to see ak's and ar15s in all the ranchers hands.

LittleLebowski
11-20-2013, 06:05 AM
Looks like they use dogs a lot more than we do. They might be short on neighbors/manpower.

Just throwing this one out for those that will understand - this shipping season, our steers' average weight was 560lbs :D

It was a good year for those that survived the blizzard.

sheriffoconee
11-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Looks like they use dogs a lot more than we do. They might be short on neighbors/manpower.

Just throwing this one out for those that will understand - this shipping season, our steers' average weight was 560lbs :D

When I was on the Golan Heights with the Border Police there was a pasture filled with cow critters being watched over by a dog. The BP I was riding with told me that this one dog isn't a pet, he doesn't take lightly anyone checkin out his herd of cattle. No one else was around, the dog was in charge.
It was a German Shepard by the way.

jlw
11-20-2013, 10:08 AM
This thread is just screaming for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeUrW-_1ot4

LittleLebowski
11-20-2013, 10:15 AM
When I was on the Golan Heights with the Border Police there was a pasture filled with cow critters being watched over by a dog. The BP I was riding with told me that this one dog isn't a pet, he doesn't take lightly anyone checkin out his herd of cattle. No one else was around, the dog was in charge.
It was a German Shepard by the way.

Solid copy; I was referring to their herding dogs. Usually, we see Great Pyrenees watching over sheep in Wyoming. My family doesn't use guard dogs for our cattle (Black Angus). Our main predator problem is coyotes hitting calves and cows birthing. Of course, the government is doing their best to put a wolf in every pasture :)

justintime
11-20-2013, 11:19 AM

Depending on the herd and how much we have had to feed we will use dogs. If the herd is less wild we use 4 wheelers but we have about 6 blue heelers that live with them. (Which we really don't like since Heelers seem to run them more than other breeds and they lose too much weight that way)

We run Brahman and Hereford mixes. I think ours was around 800lbs but I'm not sure as I have been less involved recently

justintime
11-20-2013, 12:35 PM
I did not see you said shipment steers. That's awesome!

LittleLebowski
11-20-2013, 12:49 PM
I did not see you said shipment steers. That's awesome!

It was a good year after all that bad weather and the drought last year. We run Black Angus on about 20k acres.

justintime
11-20-2013, 01:00 PM
It was a good year after all that bad weather and the drought last year. We run Black Angus on about 20k acres.

we got a lot of rain this year compared to last year. Last month when I went out there all of the cattle were super bloated from eating so much grass. Looked like the steers were pregnant heh :p So you guys are running pure bred black angus? I don't see that around here very often - we were running them on about 7k acres but when things got really bad we cut it in half and started farming feed. I wouldn't know what to do on 20k acres lol :cool:

LittleLebowski
11-20-2013, 01:32 PM
we got a lot of rain this year compared to last year. Last month when I went out there all of the cattle were super bloated from eating so much grass. Looked like the steers were pregnant heh :p So you guys are running pure bred black angus? I don't see that around here very often - we were running them on about 7k acres but when things got really bad we cut it in half and started farming feed. I wouldn't know what to do on 20k acres lol :cool:

We've got over 98% Black Angus easy, with a few Herefords that will be replaced with Black Angus.. The Herefords don't do as well in Wyoming as the Black Angus does with their pink bags and eye cancer problems. I'll start a ranch picture thread shortly.

justintime
11-20-2013, 01:46 PM
We like Brahmans here but mix them with various other breeds like Herefords mostly to keep them smaller. Ranch picture thread would be sweet