PDA

View Full Version : "Are you the Predator or the Victim?"

F-Trooper05
06-01-2011, 01:14 AM
I found this on Shadowspear.com today...

Gun Fighters: Are you the Predator or the Victim?

Only You can Decide!

D. Kellerman U.S. Special Forces ODA 2091 SE Afghanistan 2003-2004, Gunfighters Proving Ground

1. A gunfighter has chosen to step into the arena, don’t tread lightly. This is a "no shit" situation. Training instructors will not be there to coach you. There won’t be a re-test or a warm-up.

2. 20 minutes of quality dry or live fire training every week beats 4 hours of firing hundreds of rounds into paper once or twice a month.

3. Either you have it or you don’t. If you don’t, get a new job or stay in the office.

4. Confidence, dominance, and well placed shots will allow you to live. Never rely on having more ammo. Treat each magazine as if it were your only one.

5. A perfect range score only means that you take too much time to shoot. Vanity kills in real life shootouts! That perfect score will only get you a nice certificate. Speed and reasonably good accuracy are what allows you to live.

6. A good shooting stance will always seem right during a training course, but will never be perfect in real life. Get over it, fight through it, and get the shot off…now!

7. MINDSET wins the fight…and DOMINATION of the situation deals death!

8. Stand your ground, but take cover if needed. Moving away or backwards can make you a victim.

9. Advance on the threat to gain the psychological advantage. Victims run, predators engage! In case you haven’t figured it out yet, you should be a predator!

10. If you cannot choose what kind of gun to bring to a gunfight, but given the chance, bring one you can shoot well along with a lot of friends…or just say fuck it and don’t show up.

11. Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot well, then communicate and/or move. Unless your partner is an idiot, he or she will know what is going down.

12. Accuracy is relative. No person can outshoot a quality gun. Most "out of the box" quality guns will always be more accurate than you can possibly shoot. Train with and trust your gear!

13. When your gun runs dry, use everything available to your advantage. Do not give up, ever!

14. Use cover or concealment as the situation dictates, but remember when hiding behind cover, you are not DOMINATING the situation.

15. Keep both goddamn eyes open; forget the "academy" firearm instructors. You ain’t shooting for a perfect score…you are shooting to live!

16. If hit, ignore it until you can render self aid, you probably won’t even feel it if you are "into" the fight.

17. Decide to be AGGRESSIVE enough, QUICKLY enough. Indecisiveness can and will cause you to die.

18. Remember, there is ALWAYS somebody faster….but age and treachery beat youth and vigor 9 out of 10 times!

19. Some will tell you that "winning" is the goal. Wrong! "Living" is the goal. Discretion is the better part of valor.

20. Be prepared to write a report justifying what you did, and why you did it.

Josh Runkle
06-01-2011, 05:26 AM
I like it, though I think troops should learn this in bct, not just when they join a team.

Pistol Shooter
06-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Great information. Thanks very much for posting!

gringop
06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm seeing a lot of mixed messages. Overall, it's a good message but very mixed

"Stand your ground, but take cover if needed. Moving away or backwards can make you a victim."

"Use cover or concealment as the situation dictates, but remember when hiding behind cover, you are not DOMINATING the situation."

"Advance on the threat to gain the psychological advantage. Victims run, predators engage! In case you haven’t figured it out yet, you should be a predator!"

"Some will tell you that "winning" is the goal. Wrong! "Living" is the goal. Discretion is the better part of valor. "

Gringop

F-Trooper05
06-01-2011, 07:38 PM
I don't think it's really meant to be taken as a list of tactical tips, but rather as a reminder that it's better to be playing offense than defense.

Odin Bravo One
06-01-2011, 08:28 PM
While some points have merit as it pertains to LE and armed citizens, this is coming from the perspective of armed men actively hunting other armed men. There is a significant difference between getting in a pistol duel in the parking lot of the local Stop-N-Rob, and purposely going into someone else's house with the intent to fight to the death.

Shellback
06-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Some good points on having an aggressive mindset.

TCinVA
06-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Perhaps it's just me, but when I see something addressed to "gunfighters" I assume it's either going to be silly, or isn't really meant for me in the first place.

As for the content itself, some of it seems to be good general advice. Much of it seems to be specific to a context most of us aren't in.

hoodoo_operator
06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Perhaps it's just me, but when I see something addressed to "gunfighters" I assume it's either going to be silly, or isn't really meant for me in the first place.
I was thinking the same thing. You can probably add "sheepdogs" to the list.

SmokeJumper
06-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Good insight!

Prdator
06-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Hm....
I was one befor being one was cool!!!;)

David Armstrong
06-03-2011, 05:12 PM

As for the content itself, some of it seems to be good general advice. Much of it seems to be specific to a context most of us aren't in.
Agreed. Few folks are (or even should be) gunfighters these days. One can still prepare for and prevail in a gunfight, and there is a lot to be said for defense, discretion, and "feet don't fail me now."

Ed L
06-03-2011, 08:59 PM
While some points have merit as it pertains to LE and armed citizens, this is coming from the perspective of armed men actively hunting other armed men. There is a significant difference between getting in a pistol duel in the parking lot of the local Stop-N-Rob, and purposely going into someone else's house with the intent to fight to the death.

Excellent point.

There is a huge difference in rules of engagement and mindset between going out into combat ready to shoot enemy combatants and a civilian having to deal with the approach of a suspicious person who may be a predator about to strike, or a police officer dealing with a suspicious person who they may have to arrest or may be drawn into a violent encounter with.