PDA

View Full Version : Strike One Pistol (new pistol)

LittleLebowski
11-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Thoughts, impressions?

http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/strike-pistol-system

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/01/22/inside-arsenals-strike-one-pistol/

PPGMD
11-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Competitive shooters are involved in the design, so it might have a good trigger out of the box with good recoil control.

WDW
11-16-2013, 09:57 PM
I don't like the enclosed ejection port & weird looking extractor. Seems reminiscent of earlier comm block pistols with updated aesthetics.

TR675
11-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Looks like this is the same outfit that introduced the double 1911 that took the world by storm last year.

Chuck Whitlock
11-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Just from the photos the magazine release buttons really stick out. Maybe not a big deal for competition uses, but I can picture the mag getting released bumping some object while CCW.

LHS
11-16-2013, 11:16 PM
"Dropping Block"? Looks like it operates similarly to a P38 or M9. At least it's not a rotating barrel.

Lomshek
11-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Watched the video. Loved the rail mounted bipod with "free float tube" and sniper scope. :rolleyes:

Tamara
11-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Future collector's item.

Casual Friday
11-16-2013, 11:50 PM
Isn't that the pistol that the Commies were doing all that crazy stuff with in the TacTV episode?

Casual Friday
11-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Double tap...

KeeFus
11-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Isn't that the pistol that the Commies were doing all that crazy stuff with in the TacTV episode?

It sure does look like it...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/02/17/new-russian-arsenal-firearms-strike-one-strizh-polymer-pistol/

Slavex
11-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Ugly and no ambi slide release.

WDW
11-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Ugly and no ambi slide release.

It looks like a Glock kittened a CZ-75 and gave birth to that thing prematurely after an unsuccessful abortion attempt

Casual Friday
11-17-2013, 10:24 AM
It looks like a Glock kittened a CZ-75 and gave birth to that thing prematurely after an unsuccessful abortion attempt

Caracal?

JMorse
11-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Uglier than a Glock, which is an impressive feat.

John Ralston
11-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Looks like an FN 5.7 had a little brother...

Tirofijo2001
11-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Looks like the designers worked hard to give it a very low bore axis. If they really wanted to optimize it for competition, they should have lightened the slide as well.

Internals? meh. I don't care what locking system they use if it runs. I'd be more concerned about being able to replace the sights. Looks like the rear sights are built into the back plate. Maybe its time for semi-universal sight cuts (for guns other than the 1911.) But I have a file. I could open if necessary.

Trigger and price and availability (and reliability, of course) are still question marks.

Tamara
11-17-2013, 12:55 PM
In the world of new self-loading pistol introductions, it's safest to bet on failure.

Ignoring the churning mass of Brazilian/Italian/Turkish/Filipino dreck down in the cheap showcase, how many actually truly successful new pistol lines have been launched in the last twenty years? The USP. The M&P. Springfield Armory rescued that Croatian thing with a crap-ton of marketing dollars... It's too soon to call it on the SR9, but Ruger can throw a bunch of money at it...

In a world where big, established makers like Steyr and Browning and Beretta and Colt and FN and SIG can bomb so abysmally in trying to get a successful design established in the market, it's always left me a little bemused to see people falling all over themselves trying to be Member #3 at, say, CaracalFanForum.com.

Tirofijo2001
11-17-2013, 02:22 PM
I didn't realize we were making bets on whether it will be successful in the U.S. market. Do we have to wait until it's a commercial success, or can were keep making comments on the design and aesthetics based on a few photos.

LittleLebowski
11-17-2013, 02:32 PM
I didn't realize we were making bets on whether it will be successful in the U.S. market. Do we have to wait until it's a commercial success, or can were keep making comments on the design and aesthetics based on a few photos.

We can discuss all aspects of this pistol in a civil manner.

Tamara
11-17-2013, 02:36 PM

You can discuss whatever you'd like, I suppose. May I? :)

ToddG
11-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Do we have to wait until it's a commercial success, or can were keep making comments on the design and aesthetics based on a few photos.

I'm fairly certain that comments about aesthetics "based on a few photos" is normal and acceptable. Folks don't need to measure splits or evaluate 20,000 rounds of durability & reliability to conclude whether they think a gun is pretty or not.

EMC
11-17-2013, 11:16 PM
I'm going to wait for YVK to buy one after his Beretta phase and then I'll try his. :thumbup:

Joseph B.
11-17-2013, 11:32 PM
I'll buy one and run it just b/c I like trying out new stuff. I've been waiting on it to hit the US market and wondering what the actual price range will be. As for the looks, yeah it looks ugly, I think a lot of pistols are ugly though, Glock, P30, Walthers, etc, etc...:cool:

Tamara
11-17-2013, 11:45 PM
I'll buy one and run it just b/c I like trying out new stuff.

Hey, somebody has to try out the new stuff. If nobody did, we'd never have new stuff.

Let us know how it works. :)

Slavex
11-17-2013, 11:54 PM
When I say ugly I mean more than just esthetics, I also mean how it looks from a build point too. Rear sight being a part of the rear plate, ugly, knurls and texture in places that are unnecessary (the rounded part of the trigger guard for example), ugly, no ambi slide release, ugly. That said, I'll totally admit to buying guns just based on if I like their visual appeal. This gun doesn't do it for me, neither does the K100, the Caracal or a whack of other guns, I don't own. One of the primary reasons I don't own a 1911, is I don't like how most of them look. The gun could blow unicorns out of the ejection port and I'd still be uninterested in it based on how it looks. And that's how I live most of my life, from my wife to my surround sound system, it has to look good before I'll even listen to it or want to touch it.

pangloss
11-26-2013, 10:30 PM
I confess to checking Google weekly for over a year for any updates on this pistol. It's definitely at the top of my buy list if it ever makes it to market in the US. Having said that, the mag releases do seem to stick out too far and I don't like the way the rear sight is designed.

EDIT: Just saw this article (LINK (http://www.guns.com/2013/11/26/arsenal-double-barrel-1911-shipping-strike-one-legend/?utm_source=feedly)).

"At the same time, Arsenal will be shipping their Strike One polymer pistol, a joint effort between Arsenal’s design teams in Italy and Russia, as well as their Legend series of bolt-action hunting rifles.

The company has been building up a stock of guns for export, but following new legislation passed in the E.U., they were unable to export outside of the European Economic Community. Arsenal is pleased to announce that they have brokered an arrangement with the Italian government and is currently shipping product to the ATF for import clearance."

UNK
11-27-2013, 11:25 PM
I signed up for their mailing list. I'm interested. Thanks for the heads up LL.

CGA
11-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Caracal?

That was my immediate impression. Looks a little more streamlined to me. Low bore axis.

jkurtz7
11-28-2013, 03:28 PM
From the videos I've seen, it looks like a neat gun. Based on my personal needs, I don't see myself getting one if they are imported.

Clyde from Carolina
11-28-2013, 10:18 PM
I think by modern polymer pistol standards it looks okay; certainly not nearly as bad as I was expecting by reading the first three pages of this thread. I mean it doesn't look as swell as a nicely-blued old Colt 1911 or Woodsman but then few things in gundom do.

How it performs may well be another matter. Like Tamara said, the safe bet is to bet on failure. If a giant like Glock stumbles with an already proven and relatively simple design from time to time, there is obviously quite a bit involved in this gun building thing.

45dotACP
12-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Oh yeah! Bore axis sure worked well for that Chiappa Rhino. That one sure is taking the sixgun world by storm! Coincidentally, it happens to be (another) Italian import touted for it's "sooper lower bore axis" for those .15 second splits that you will suddenly get because you bought a gun instead of training.
:cool:
Yeah I'm gonna go with no.

Eternal24k
12-06-2013, 10:59 AM
I signed up for their mailing list. I'm interested. Thanks for the heads up LL.

What mailing list? I couldn't find one on their site...

rudy99
12-06-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm guessing the hole in the back of the slide is for an exposed striker (a la Walter PPS). If so, it would appear as if this could make this pistol AIWB-friendly. Grip texture looks very aggressive. I doubt this would ever end up in my arsenal (pun intended), but I'm all for continuous improvement and more options for the consumer.

Rich
12-08-2013, 02:33 PM
I don't like the enclosed ejection port & weird looking extractor. Seems reminiscent of earlier comm block pistols with updated aesthetics.

I'm the opposite

GardoneVT
12-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Maybe I'm not HSLD enough to get the point of this, but why should someone consider this pistol over an established brand?

When it comes to defensive hardware, isn't cutting edge tech a Bad Thing?

Maple Syrup Actual
12-09-2013, 02:11 AM
Maybe I'm not HSLD enough to get the point of this, but why should someone consider this pistol over an established brand?

That's pretty much what I think. If it turns out that this is a huge leap forward, great. But guns are the worst possible place to get into early adoption.

BLR
12-09-2013, 07:11 AM

You mean like body armor? Or radar? Or guidance systems?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

TCinVA
12-09-2013, 08:16 AM
You mean like body armor?

There's actually been some problems on that front, specifically Zylon-based armor that turned out to degrade quickly due to normal environmental factors and after that didn't do so well especially with contact shots. They found that out because a couple of people got killed. The normal tests were done on the Zylon armor and it passed the tests and I'm assuming that the company who came up with the polymer tested it extensively without finding any defect...but once it was on real people in the field the bugs started to show up.

I'm all for improvements in technology, but if I have X that works and has proven reliable (aramid fiber kevlar) versus the new hotness that is supposed to be just as strong but lighter etc...I'm inclined to stick with what I know works over the long haul vs. the new hotness. The problem with the bleeding edge of technology is that somebody somewhere really is getting cut. I'd rather it not be me.

The Russians might well be able to out Glock the Glock, and if they want to send me a couple of guns and a bunch of ammo I'll give them a shot. I'm not inclined to risk my own dime on them unless I suddenly fall into a hell of a lot more dimes.

LittleLebowski
12-09-2013, 08:53 AM
I like innovation/competition and it's OK to own a gun that isn't serious for serious hard work as approved by serious people.

Gary1911A1
12-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Kind of reminds me of the Caracal with it's low bore axis. Think I'll wait and see how the early ones turn out.

BLR
12-09-2013, 09:44 AM
There's actually been some problems on that front, specifically Zylon-based armor that turned out to degrade quickly due to normal environmental factors and after that didn't do so well especially with contact shots. They found that out because a couple of people got killed. The normal tests were done on the Zylon armor and it passed the tests and I'm assuming that the company who came up with the polymer tested it extensively without finding any defect...but once it was on real people in the field the bugs started to show up.

I'm all for improvements in technology, but if I have X that works and has proven reliable (aramid fiber kevlar) versus the new hotness that is supposed to be just as strong but lighter etc...I'm inclined to stick with what I know works over the long haul vs. the new hotness. The problem with the bleeding edge of technology is that somebody somewhere really is getting cut. I'd rather it not be me.

The Russians might well be able to out Glock the Glock, and if they want to send me a couple of guns and a bunch of ammo I'll give them a shot. I'm not inclined to risk my own dime on them unless I suddenly fall into a hell of a lot more dimes.

True, but remember Kevlar was on that same edge to.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Tamara
12-09-2013, 10:07 AM
I like innovation/competition and it's OK to own a gun that isn't serious for serious hard work as approved by serious people.

Absolutely agree.

frozentundra
12-09-2013, 04:31 PM
I believe Vickers is doing an entire show about this pistol tonight on Tac-TV. I think it will be another show from Russia. Sportsman channel 9:00 central if anybody is interested.

Mr_White
12-09-2013, 05:15 PM

In this same line of thinking, I like my Sub-2000 but I don't consider it a serious fighting gun (if I had the choice for a more potent/durable/reliable option.)

45dotACP
12-09-2013, 08:22 PM

Well yeah...but that's why I was afraid to admit in public that I have both a 1911 and a revolver :o

JSGlock34
01-15-2014, 12:05 AM
Any word from SHOT on the Strike One?

justintime
01-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Has your sub2k not been durable or reliable? I've been really wanting one

Mr_White
01-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Has your sub2k not been durable or reliable? I've been really wanting one

It feels more flimsy than durable, but nothing has broken.

Front sight adjustment is lame, but it basically works.

Mine has had plenty of malfunctions with cheap ball ammo, never any malfunctions with quality JHPs.

I liked the idea of a long gun that only weighs a few pounds, to run around out in the woods or sagebrush with, and as a companion to a 9mm Glock that takes the same magazines and ammo.

It turned out that I am a lot faster with the pistol, and I wasn't suffering accuracy problems with it, so the Sub-2000 wasn't really doing anything for me. At that point, I just pistol hunted the jackrabbits and sage rats instead of bringing the Sub-2000.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like the gun. It is awesome how it folds in half and fits in a cheap laptop computer bag, along with eight 33-round sticks and a whole lot of ammo.

The dual bottom lines that keep me from using it very much are that it doesn't do a lot for me that I can't do with my pistol, and if we are talking about 'serious purposes', I want a gun of that size to fire an actual centerfire rifle cartridge.

The reasons it isn't a serious gun to me are: some malfunctions (albeit with weak ammo), flimsy feel, and fires a pistol bullet.

It is purely a guilty pleasure fun gun for me.

justintime
01-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Interesting , those are the concerns I've had with it. My gf needs a simple super light weight gun around the ranch. I've also though about a little Rossi 357 for her, but the sub2k supports her beretta. I think it would provide her with the easier to shoot benefit still

Mr_White
01-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Interesting , those are the concerns I've had with it. My gf needs a simple super light weight gun around the ranch. I've also though about a little Rossi 357 for her, but the sub2k supports her beretta. I think it would provide her with the easier to shoot benefit still

It is easier to hit distant stuff with than a pistol. I just wasn't benefiting from that much in what I was using it for.

There is a lot going for it for the need you describe.

I think it could be ok - just vet your copy of the gun as 'reliable for defensive use' the same way you would vet a pistol or anything else.

I know Chuck Haggard has talked about the Sub-2000 before, maybe he can share his experience.

Surf
01-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Any word from SHOT on the Strike One?I am also interested. Schedule did not allow me to go to SHOT this year so any info anyone?

JSGlock34
01-15-2014, 04:29 PM
So far the only picture I've seen from the Arsenal Firearms booth has been of a .38 Super version of their double barreled 1911.

Clearly it was the lack of caliber options that was holding the double barreled 1911 back...

matt7184
01-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Only thing I have seen Strike One related so far:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/chris-dumm/draft-still-ready-retail-arsenal-strike-one/

JSGlock34
01-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Seems like the theme of this year's SHOT. I'll add it to the 'maybe next year...or not...' list along with the striker fired HK.

Eternal24k
01-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Only thing I have seen Strike One related so far:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/chris-dumm/draft-still-ready-retail-arsenal-strike-one/

That is a bummer

R0CKETMAN
01-18-2014, 02:37 PM
A buddy went to SHOT and stated there would be a Polymer framed at $800 and an aluminum frame at $3k. He mentioned the trigger felt like a short reset DA and they were expecting ATF approval by March.

NickDrak
01-18-2014, 04:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBvtD-09Oi4

In this video Eric Rice says that they are waiting on ATF approval which they expect by the end of January. I have heard they expect them to hit shelfs here in the US sometime in March of this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnu3phoC3lM

joshs
01-18-2014, 06:30 PM
Claiming that the guy in their calendar was shooting aimed fire at "approximately 1000 rounds a minute" seems like they have some trouble with math. I'd have to see .06 aimed splits to believe it. I also don't understand why the are measuring with brass dispersion, which seems like it would have accuracy problems, instead of a shot timer.

JSGlock34
01-18-2014, 10:33 PM
A buddy went to SHOT and stated there would be a Polymer framed at $800 and an aluminum frame at $3k. He mentioned the trigger felt like a short reset DA and they were expecting ATF approval by March.

Well, those prices certainly aren't going to help them steal marketshare away from Glock.

TCinVA
01-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Claiming that the guy in their calendar was shooting aimed fire at "approximately 1000 rounds a minute" seems like they have some trouble with math. I'd have to see .06 aimed splits to believe it. I also don't understand why the are measuring with brass dispersion, which seems like it would have accuracy problems, instead of a shot timer.

I thought they mentioned a full-auto version in the video, and that the picture was from an Italian police trainer using the full-auto version.

joshs
01-19-2014, 11:56 AM
I thought they mentioned a full-auto version in the video, and that the picture was from an Italian police trainer using the full-auto version.

He says "approximately 1000 rounds a minute, semi-auto." The cyclic rate on full auto is supposed to be 1350.

TCinVA
01-19-2014, 12:17 PM
He says "approximately 1000 rounds a minute, semi-auto." The cyclic rate on full auto is supposed to be 1350.

Ah. Missed that.

I don't think it's possible for the human finger to cycle at 1000 rounds a minute in semi-auto. When you watch high speed video of even very fast shooters it's pretty clear that there's a significant pause between when the gun is done cycling and when they actually cycle the trigger again.

http://youtu.be/Q6dWDFcoFFs

In the high-speed footage Jerry's shooting at a pretty good clip, and you can see that even his finger (which is faster than 99.99999% of people who are going to pick up a gun) is slower than the actual cycling of the pistol.

I can buy a fully-automatic handgun buzzing away at 1300 RPM, a speed faster than an MG42. I can't really see how a human being can beat the rate of fire of an MG34.

Surf
01-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the links guys. Despite any claims on the video's I am even more interested in this pistol. If it turns out to be a turd, I will have no issues in saying so, but I am still anxious to try one out.

BaiHu
01-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Prepare for possibly the dumbest question, because my understanding of mechanical engineering stops at unscrewing a tube of toothpaste.

If this saddle and barrel set up is the cat's meow, then how long would it take for any major gun manufacturer to copy this? Especially if this gun can pull off 600+ rounds per minute in semiautomatic. If it's so amazing, then show me the money with a real human; where's the video? Other than that, it does seem to be the first gun to "break the mold" in my mind.

ETA: I would imagine the patent protects it, but how long on an item as common as a barrel. Is a barrel/locking mechanism even patentable :what:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

LOKNLOD
01-19-2014, 07:10 PM
That is clearly 1000 rounds per metric minute. Damn SI system. :p

joshs
01-19-2014, 07:22 PM
I don't think it's possible for the human finger to cycle at 1000 rounds a minute in semi-auto.

I used to shoot with a guy who could shoot .12 on demand splits with an SVI open gun. It sounded ridiculously fast compared to everybody else's .18-.20 splits. I can't imagine someone shooting twice that speed, especially with a service pistol trigger instead of a two pound 2011 trigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Slavex
01-19-2014, 07:33 PM
So disregard my previous posts lol.

The aluminum framed version is kind of sexxy looking. I still think the rear plate being the rear sight is a no go, but I am becoming intrigued by this gun. I want to see what it's like to actually try shooting it and check out this new locking block system.

Crusader8207
01-21-2014, 09:35 PM
STRIKE ONE INTEGRAL ALUMINUM FRAME

The Strike One, already globally acclaimed as the most revolutionary and performing hammerless pistol of all times, becomes industrially available with the integral (machined from solid) Ergal 7075 aircracft aluminum alloy frame. This already announced product has finally come to industrial readiness after 2 years or research in the field of high performing aerospace materials: the choice was to establish industrial production our of Ergal 7075, a lightweight aerospace aluminum alloy which can only be machined from forged billets. The result of combining an already extremely accurate and tight tolerance upper with a clockwork, swiss watch lower mechanism and frame is truly shocking: the Ergal Strike One is capable of 3 inch groups at 100 yards (machine rest with laser device pointer) out of the standard 5 inch barrel. This value outperforms by far any other hammerless pistol accuracy standard, turning the Ergal Strike One the most accurate service and competition hammerless pistol of all times. The gun will be available in different anodized Electro Colours (aesthetic finishes, such as Cobalt Blue, Burgundy or Silver) or high tech Hard Anodized finishes, impervious to rough use and extreme environmental conditions (such as Black, Gray or Bronze). The latter versions are also ideal for Special Forces uses, where extreme weather conditions will not affect a continuing maximum accuracy and reliability of the gun. The Ergal Strike One will be available to the world markets from fall 2014 in limited quantities, for the very selective competition shooter and collector alike, at a street price in the 3.000 € class (4.000 USD).

Kyle Reese
01-21-2014, 11:27 PM
The Ergal Strike One will be available to the world markets from fall 2014 in limited quantities, for the very selective competition shooter and collector alike, at a street price in the 3.000 € class (4.000 USD).

$4,000? Is this a mistake?

YVK
01-21-2014, 11:37 PM
$4,000? Is this a mistake?

Have to recoup the Olympic Games costs somehow..

Sorry for the drift, couldn't resist.

Slavex
01-22-2014, 02:53 PM
man the description of it's awesomeness has sort of made it less appealing the price even more. Put me back on the uninterested list.

SamuelBLong
01-22-2014, 02:56 PM
At 4k I think Id rather have some more Sig P210's to add to my collection. Or 10 new glocks.

TCinVA
01-23-2014, 01:53 PM
At that price you have to wonder if it's being assembled by those tiny giraffes or something.

JMS
01-23-2014, 02:37 PM
LOL

It took me a moment to remember "I am epic vin....." :D

NickDrak
01-23-2014, 06:54 PM
I had heard the billet aluminum frame version will sell for around $4000.00 US and the poly version for right around $800.00 US

I think the $800.00 price for the plastic one is reasonable if it performs as advertised.

I think the $4000.00 price for the aluminum version is retarded.

Mr_White
01-23-2014, 06:59 PM
But 3" groups at 100 yards!!!!!

WilsonCombatRep
01-26-2014, 12:04 AM
I can't wait to see what Strike 2 looks like.

LHS
01-27-2014, 11:58 AM
I can't wait to see what Strike 2 looks like.

Will the subcompact version, interned as a compatible BUG, be called the Strike Back?

Joe in PNG
01-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Will the Strike 3 be called the "O.U.T"?

Luke
01-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Well there finally on the shelves. Has anyone spent the time and money on one to come to a yay or nay?

RJ
01-10-2015, 03:42 PM
"... it was during a hot summer night, that a strong and encouraging call from Dimitry’s wife Suzana, made way for the true turning point of our enthralling development. And after months of intense work, the world debut of both the group of companies and product lines took to the stage on March the 9th, 2012."

I'd say the prose needs a little work, but you have to admire the enthusiasm.