PDA

View Full Version : Changing someone's mindset

seabiscuit
05-31-2011, 11:47 AM
I went shooting with my fiance's dad over the weekend, first time he's pulled his pistol out in years. Needless to say, he shot terribly.

His pistol is a Hi-Point 9mm he bought to defend his home and his family when they go camping. But it's worthless if he can't shoot it... we were shooting 6" paper plates, and after sending 8 rounds downrange from about seven paces, there were no holes in the plate. I put all 10 of mine through, SHO, from farther back.

I gave him some advice on his grip and his stance, but he didn't seem interested in more practice. I think I may have embarassed him.

So I'm wondering what to do now - anything? There's no way he'd pay for a class. I guess he's one of those guys that thinks stashing a 9mm in the bedroom means he'll be able to use it, even though he never practices.

Is there a gentle way to change his mindset? Is it my business at all?

MDS
05-31-2011, 03:14 PM
IMO, it's not so much about changing his mindset, as it is about inviting him to an environment where he'll naturally change it himself. Hard to be sure of anything over the internet, but in your position I might invite him to shoot more often - not for training or whatever, but for fun. If you can find a plate rack or a steel competition in your area, maybe? Or buy some steel and use it next time you go camping, or etc. Get creative. If it's fun for him to shoot, he'll shoot - and if he shoots, he's got little choice but to eventually notice what works...

Dropkick
05-31-2011, 03:25 PM
At the very least, I would have tried swapping pistols.

This might help with understanding your level verses his level, I believe it was adapted to firearms by Front Sight, but has been reposted lots of places:
http://www.taylorgunsmithing.com/DefensiveHandgun.html

Al T.
05-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Buddy of mine has an RG .22LR for a bedroom gun. He enjoys shooting my guns, makes good money and simply won't upgrade.

I'd try the shooting steel suggestion, but it may very well be a case of horse, water, drink, not.

seabiscuit
05-31-2011, 10:03 PM
At the very least, I would have tried swapping pistols.

This might help with understanding your level verses his level, I believe it was adapted to firearms by Front Sight, but has been reposted lots of places:
http://www.taylorgunsmithing.com/DefensiveHandgun.html

Mine's a G26 - admittedly not the greatest pistol for learning. I shot his pistol and put 7 of 8 in a 3 inch group. I should have let him try mine, so he could feel what something with a much lighter slide and much better trigger/grip felt like.

I'd say he was unconsciously incompetent, and now he may move either to intentionally incompetent or consciously incompetent. At the very least, he's now aware of his incompetency.

I'm probably on the border of incompetent and competent - I know how to manipulate my pistol, how to grip it, how to do a press out, and I've largely conquered my anticipating flinch.

So I'm far from the greatest instructor - as was mentioned in a previous thread, I can't explain why having both thumbs pointing forward is a good thing, or pick out why he can't hit the target (although I think anticipating flinch is a big factor, since all his rounds hit the dirt under the target).

I'll try suggesting some "fun" shooting, get or make some steel targets. He's not ready for the dueling tree, but it's nice to hear that ding when lead hits steel...

Mitchell, Esq.
06-01-2011, 06:58 AM
Most people have an ego investment in not looking like they don't know what they are doing.

Until something comes up that makes something more important than the ego, they stay as they are.

Martial arts, driving, cooking...whatever. Ego. It's a killer.

WDW
06-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Sorry to say that most of the time you can't, especially with an older person. You may also damage your relationship in the process. The fact that he has chosen a High Point implies he wants a gun for the sole purpose of having gun. I would chime in if he brings up the topic of training or firearms, but short of that I would just let it be and hope he never needs to use a weapon in self defense.

Josh Runkle
06-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Buddy of mine has an RG .22LR for a bedroom gun. He enjoys shooting my guns, makes good money and simply won't upgrade.

I'd try the shooting steel suggestion, but it may very well be a case of horse, water, drink, not.

The pastor of a church I used to go to always said: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make hims drink. But...you can always put salt in his oats."