PDA

View Full Version : Lone Survivor Movie

Josh Runkle
11-15-2013, 12:07 PM
http://youtu.be/BMFLzf-DXXU

Looks good. Hope they don't ruin it.

John Ralston
11-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Starring an Anti-Gun Felon, think I'll pass.

LHS
11-15-2013, 01:04 PM

I've often wondered what kind of legal hoops Hollywood has to go through to let these folks handle firearms during filming. Is it just a matter of law enforcement turning a blind eye, or do they have special blank-only pseudo-guns for them to use?

Josh Runkle
11-15-2013, 01:32 PM
I've often wondered what kind of legal hoops Hollywood has to go through to let these folks handle firearms during filming. Is it just a matter of law enforcement turning a blind eye, or do they have special blank-only pseudo-guns for them to use?

None. He was a minor when arrested of a crime improbable by more than one year.

lightning fast
11-15-2013, 01:45 PM

So you avoid all media that is anti-gun, and don't support any business that is anti-gun?
You also go out and support all pro-gun media and businesses?

John Ralston
11-15-2013, 01:48 PM
So you avoid all media that is anti-gun, and don't support any business that is anti-gun?
You also go out and support all pro-gun media and businesses?

Do you know me? Cause I don't recall saying any of that. I said I would skip this movie staring a douche. Feel free to mount your high horse again.

Jay Cunningham
11-15-2013, 03:14 PM
One warning; this is it.

John Ralston
11-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Sorry Jay...

jetfire
11-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Marky Mark's personal ethics aside, I genuinely like his acting. I'll go see this.

jlw
11-15-2013, 04:10 PM
My gripe with Marky Mark is that he was totally miscast as Bob the Nailer, but the part written for him also didn't live up to that standard either.

I'll probably go see the new flick.

SGT_Calle
11-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Looks good. Hope they don't ruin it.

Marcus Luttrell told Glenn Beck the movie is just like his dreams he still has every night, I'm gonna say they nailed it by Marcus's standards. I can't wait to see the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

LittleLebowski
11-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Marky Mark's personal ethics aside, I genuinely like his acting. I'll go see this.

I think he's a different person now.

jetfire
11-15-2013, 05:56 PM
I think he's a different person now.

I was referring to the ethically indefensible support of gun control.

LittleLebowski
11-15-2013, 06:45 PM
I was referring to the ethically indefensible support of gun control.

Copy.

Spr1
11-15-2013, 07:11 PM
When does this open?

Josh Runkle
11-15-2013, 07:15 PM
When does this open?

My google-fu says jan 10th.

Spr1
11-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks. I enjoyed the book. Looking forward to the movie.

Casual Friday
11-15-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm going to see it for the story, not to support Marky Mark.

Jason F
11-15-2013, 09:48 PM
I'll be seeing it.

Read the book. Fascinating.

Paxamus
11-16-2013, 12:11 AM
That book should be required reading in the high schools now to remind kids of the sacrifices people make for our country. I know I'm getting off the soapbox and going to bed

Tamara
11-16-2013, 09:00 AM

This. Ty Cobb ain't in Cooperstown because he was a wonderful human being... ;)

jlw
11-16-2013, 10:09 AM
I'm going to see it for the story, not to support Marky Mark.

That's what settles it for me. I want to see the movie; not the actors.

HCM
11-16-2013, 01:41 PM
None. He was a minor when arrested of a crime improbable by more than one year.

Tam is spot on but just so we are clear on who MM is in real life:

MM had a lengthy criminal record with 25 prior juvenile arrests. Then, at age 16 MM assaulted a middle aged Vietnamese man with a large stick, causing serious physical injury. While fleeing from the police, he accosted another random Vietnamese man, punching him in the head and blinding the victim in one eye. It is my understanding MM was tried and convicted as an adult and is therefore a prohibited person.

In Massachusetts, like Texas, 17 year olds are adults for criminal justice purposes. MM was 16 at the time of his "incident" , however, those under 17 may be charged as adults for certain serious crimes under Massachusetts law. They can be indicted under " youthful offender" status meaning they are charged as adults. MM was originally charged with Attempted Murder, which is one of the crimes qualifying for " youthful offender" status. He plead to a lesser charge but served time at the Deer Island House of Corrections which was an adult facility.

Odin Bravo One
11-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Tam is spot on but just so we are clear on who MM is in real life:

I'm not a Mark Walberg fan personally, but who someone is in real life when they are 16 years old, and who someone is in real life when they are 36 years old tend to be different in most cases.

And just for my own clarity........is this thread about the movie? Or about the actor and his criminal past, or anti-gun position present?

I have my own personal interests here, but I'd really hate to see a discussion about the story of some of the best and bravest men this country has to offer get completely forgotten and lost in the gang up beat down of the actor selected to play the leading role. (Ironically enough........some of those guys weren't exactly saints in years past either).

fixer
11-16-2013, 02:28 PM
The book is amazing. If the movie can capture a tenth of the sacrifice of the guys on that mission, it will be worth watching.

Besides, Ben Foster is an underrated actor.

Tamara
11-16-2013, 05:33 PM
And just for my own clarity........is this thread about the movie? Or about the actor and his criminal past, or anti-gun position present?

I have my own personal interests here, but I'd really hate to see a discussion about the story of some of the best and bravest men this country has to offer get completely forgotten and lost in the gang up beat down of the actor selected to play the leading role. (Ironically enough........some of those guys weren't exactly saints in years past either).

I'd also hate to see it portrayed in a substandard film, but from what I've seen thus far the movie cast and crew will do it the respect of not doing a sucky job at their own task of storytelling.

Odin Bravo One
11-16-2013, 06:45 PM
I'd also hate to see it portrayed in a substandard film,

As would I.

My biggest complaint about BHD and similar "based on true events" movies is that they sensationalize events that stand on their own without all the Hollywood hype. I know there were people very close to this story also closely involved in the film IOT hopefully alleviate some of those issues and produce a film worthy of the men it is about.

NickA
11-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Let's not forget that on top of everything else MM was actually in a group called the Funky Bunch :cool:
But I generally enjoy his work, and that of his brother too. Seems like a good group involved in the flick, so as long as they do the men and the story justice I'll end up checking it out.

jetfire
11-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Here is the Mark Wahlberg bottom line: he is not a convicted felon or a prohibited person. Regardless of whether you think that's because of a quirk in the state law or whatever, it is true.

Now, let us focus on the fact that he is legitimately a terrific actor, very pro-military, and I hope will do a great job in a movie I'm very excited to see.

Shellback
11-17-2013, 06:04 PM
This'll be one of the few movies I go to see in the theater. It looks very promising.

justintime
11-17-2013, 06:30 PM
January is too far away -end rant-

jlw
11-17-2013, 07:18 PM
When does this open?

My google-fu says jan 10th.

Ah. Just in time to not be a Christmas blockbuster.

SGT_Calle
11-17-2013, 08:15 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/18/vaty4a3a.jpg

da6dspanburg
11-18-2013, 07:45 AM
This'll be one of the few movies I go to see in the theater. It looks very promising.

This. Plus it will be my Birthday gift to myself.

da6d

jetfire
11-18-2013, 02:30 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/18/vaty4a3a.jpg

...that is not exactly a great recommendation.

TGS
11-18-2013, 05:34 PM
I like how every swingin'd in Hollywood is dropping Mr Luttrell's first name as if they're BFF's.

Seems to me like a lot of people are trying to attach themselves to him.

And, holy cow.....check out this photo (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/11/16/mark-wahlberg-lone-survivor-rant-marcus-luttrell-response/). Is Marcus Luttrell really a giant, or is Marky Mark actually a midget?

TR675
11-18-2013, 05:56 PM
I like how every swingin'd in Hollywood is dropping Mr Luttrell's first name as if they're BFF's.

Not unlike some of the attendees at ninja school gun classes...or even some of the instructors...if you can't be a cool guy, you can at least be a first name basis with a cool guy.

And, holy cow.....check out this photo (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/11/16/mark-wahlberg-lone-survivor-rant-marcus-luttrell-response/). Is Marcus Luttrell really a giant, or is Marky Mark actually a midget?

Both?

Tamara
11-18-2013, 06:33 PM

Dunno how short that lens is, but the chair on the left is obviously somewhat closer to the camera than the chair on the right, so bass-fishing rules apply.

Still, the internet says Wahlberg is 5'8", and it's a pretty reliable rule of thumb that any time a male celebrity is listed as being less than 5'10", you can safely subtract another inch or two. (Conversely, if a female celebrity admits to being over 5'8", you can add a couple inches to get the actual doctor's office height.)

SGT_Calle
11-18-2013, 07:45 PM

I'm not trying to be a GB cheerleader here, but I believe they have been good friends for a while. I know I've heard a few interviews over the years.

fuse
11-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Dunno how short that lens is, but the chair on the left is obviously somewhat closer to the camera than the chair on the right, so bass-fishing rules apply.

Still, the internet says Wahlberg is 5'8", and it's a pretty reliable rule of thumb that any time a male celebrity is listed as being less than 5'10", you can safely subtract another inch or two. (Conversely, if a female celebrity admits to being over 5'8", you can add a couple inches to get the actual doctor's office height.)

I feel like I remember ML being about 6'4"

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Odin Bravo One
11-19-2013, 12:46 PM
6'4" 250-260.........ish?

He is not what I would describe as "Petite".

SGT_Calle
11-19-2013, 08:44 PM
6'4" 250-260.........ish?

He is not what I would describe as "Petite".

I can only imagine being on the receiving end of him and his twin brother kicking in a door in full kit would be a surreal, albeit short, experience.

Kobalt60
12-24-2013, 08:51 AM
He says in his book that he's 6' 5"

The book is outstanding and extremely though provoking. In it he regrets sparing the lives of some civilian goat herders because of what happened to his team as a consequence. I don't know if I agree with him but I certainly see his point. I'm about half way through the audio book (unabridged.)

I'm wondering if the movie will portray his side accurately or white wash it for sake of Hollywood's liberal sensibilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Palmguy
12-24-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm not trying to be a GB cheerleader here, but I believe they have been good friends for a while. I know I've heard a few interviews over the years.

Correct.

I can only imagine being on the receiving end of him and his twin brother kicking in a door in full kit would be a surreal, albeit short, experience.

I don't remember Morgan being as physically imposing as Marcus appears to be, but I suppose he probably is. Saw him a few times, his OCS class started a few weeks before I was transferred from Pensacola to Newport.

In any case, yeah, it would be.

Palmguy
12-24-2013, 09:13 AM
duplicate

Totem Polar
12-24-2013, 01:51 PM

That's not an interview; that's a casting read for "Gandalf" and "Frodo" for the next re-imagined LOTR sequel.

And no joke, seeing that guy come through the door would be an eye-opener. Suffice to say, at his 6'5" and level of experience, I certainly wouldn't be standing in line to critique his untucked "business casual" shirt...
;)

SJC3081
12-25-2013, 12:41 AM
Marky Mark is 5'8"..

Robert Mitchum
12-25-2013, 12:42 AM
He carries a BB Gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwXkApjaXsU

RoyGBiv
12-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Marky Mark is 5'8"..

If Cruise can be Reacher, Wahlberg can be Luttrell. LOL!

LOKNLOD
12-25-2013, 01:32 PM
...that is not exactly a great recommendation.

I say anything that makes Glenn Beck "unable to speak" might be worth a second look.

Jason F
12-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Posted this the other day on LF, forgot to cross post it here...

I got two tickets to an advanced screening here in Atlanta last week. Took my brother who just recently read the book. I read it years ago when it first came out.

I thought the movie was great. I'd highly recommend it.

Did they have to take some liberties with timelines and things, to squeeze in days of action in to 20 minutes? Of course they did. Couldn't be helped. It's the movie business.

BUT, I thought the first 80minutes or so were incredible.

LOVED the first hour. Right up until the engagement started.

I felt like you were getting a good sense of the brotherhood, etc. Seeing the bond these guys have, and the shit they'll go through for each other (and the shit they give each other).

Then, as the firefight started and they started their first reaction movements, it dawned on me (because I know the story, so I know the outcome) - "you're about to watch these guys get chewed up".

GULP.

You could hear the entire audience wince, grimace, and groan as they guys fell off that mountain. It was intense. And it was so well shot, edited, and acted (by the stunt guys) during those scenes. Incredible.

I'm a low-speed-high-drag nobody, so I couldn't tell you how well their team tactics held up, or if they were using M18's instead of Mk12's or whatever... I know Marcus Luttrell was heavily involved, so I'm sure it was as "right" as they could get it, or that he approved of changes (again -it's Hollywood, they DO have to make compromises sometimes due to time and format).

I didn't walk out of the theater screaming "'Merica!" or hooting and hollering. I walked out humbled and awed, by the men who did what they did that day, and by the men who are out there today, in a lot of places, ready to lay it all on the line like that again for their brothers. I felt the director did a great job with the end of the movie. It ended with a very nice memorial to the men who died during Operation Red Wings.

BONUS material - playing "spot Marcus" and "spot Peter Berg" (the director) throughout the movie was fun. Marcus in a lot of scenes, if you know to look for him on the edges of the frame.

SGT_Calle
12-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the review! I can't wait to see it.

RoyGBiv
12-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the review.
Looking forward to seeing it, moreso now.

jlw
01-09-2014, 10:52 PM
I just got home from seeing it. The action and the intensity builds, and then there is one scene where it reaches out and grabs you by the throat and holds on for while.

At the end there was nothing but reverent silence in the theater, and I think that pretty well sums it up. Godspeed.

Slavex
01-10-2014, 04:58 AM
Taking a buddies wife on Sunday night to watch on the big screen, she's a freakin encyclopedia on stories like this movie. Her bookcase is filled with every war/soldier book available and their DVD collection is the same. Should be fun.

JMorse
01-10-2014, 06:24 PM
I thought the movie was great. I'd highly recommend it.
Did they have to take some liberties with timelines and things, to squeeze in days of action in to 20 minutes? Of course they did. Couldn't be helped. It's the movie business.
BUT, I thought the first 80minutes or so were incredible.
LOVED the first hour. Right up until the engagement started.
I felt like you were getting a good sense of the brotherhood, etc. Seeing the bond these guys have, and the shit they'll go through for each other (and the shit they give each other).
Then, as the firefight started and they started their first reaction movements, it dawned on me (because I know the story, so I know the outcome) - "you're about to watch these guys get chewed up".
GULP.
You could hear the entire audience wince, grimace, and groan as they guys fell off that mountain. It was intense. And it was so well shot, edited, and acted (by the stunt guys) during those scenes. Incredible.
I'm a low-speed-high-drag nobody, so I couldn't tell you how well their team tactics held up, or if they were using M18's instead of Mk12's or whatever... I know Marcus Luttrell was heavily involved, so I'm sure it was as "right" as they could get it, or that he approved of changes (again -it's Hollywood, they DO have to make compromises sometimes due to time and format).

I didn't walk out of the theater screaming "'Merica!" or hooting and hollering. I walked out humbled and awed, by the men who did what they did that day, and by the men who are out there today, in a lot of places, ready to lay it all on the line like that again for their brothers. I felt the director did a great job with the end of the movie. It ended with a very nice memorial to the men who died during Operation Red Wings.

BONUS material - playing "spot Marcus" and "spot Peter Berg" (the director) throughout the movie was fun. Marcus in a lot of scenes, if you know to look for him on the edges of the frame.

Just left the theater and I'm still at a loss for words. Amazing movie and it felt like you were there with them. These weren't your comic book hero SEALs. You felt every bruise and worse with them. Really well done.

Humbling flick for sure.

Shellback
01-10-2014, 07:11 PM
I know Marcus Luttrell was heavily involved, so I'm sure it was as "right" as they could get it, or that he approved of changes (again -it's Hollywood, they DO have to make compromises sometimes due to time and format).

He was on set a lot. My cousin's husband was the foreman for the set paint & design crew and said he's a really great guy in person. He spent a lot of time with the set crew and getting to know the guys & gals who were involved.

It's crazy how many films are shot in New Mexico now, like Lone Survivor was.

Saym16
01-10-2014, 09:02 PM
read the book. going to see it this weekend

RoyGBiv
01-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Just left the theater and I'm still at a loss for words. Amazing movie and it felt like you were there with them. These weren't your comic book hero SEALs. You felt every bruise and worse with them. Really well done.

Humbling flick for sure.
This.

The audience was very subdued, lots of sniffles at the end.
In the middle of the firefight I caught myself eating some popcorn and felt like it was something I shouldn't be doing just then.

Humbling is a good word choice.

Tom Givens
01-11-2014, 07:47 PM
With U-Verse and the big screen TV my wife and I rarely go to movies any more. We made an exception today for this one and I am glad we did.

One can hardly watch this without a greater appreciation of what our service members sacrifice for all of us, and the enormous sacrifices their families make. When they showed the family pictures of some of the fallen the theater was hushed, except for the sound of sniffles.

I am reminded of a quote from General George Patton, "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."

Chemsoldier
01-12-2014, 04:59 PM
I thought it very tastefully done and powerful. As a historian and someone who was in Afghanistan while it was happening (though several hundred miles away) I wish some things were a little more accurate but as previous posters have indicated that is Hollywood and the modern mythology of military conflict. Those inaccuracies in no one detract from the valor and sacrifice of the participants.

I think I will be doing a shot tonight for the SEALs and Nightstalkers who died that day. Society does not deserve some of the warriors that it produces.

MGW
01-12-2014, 10:40 PM
I thought it very tastefully done and powerful. As a historian and someone who was in Afghanistan while it was happening (though several hundred miles away) I wish some things were a little more accurate but as previous posters have indicated that is Hollywood and the modern mythology of military conflict. Those inaccuracies in no one detract from the valor and sacrifice of the participants.

I think I will be doing a shot tonight for the SEALs and Nightstalkers who died that day. Society does not deserve some of the warriors that it produces.

Well said.

I wanted to stand and salute at the end of the movie during the tribute slide show.

Coyotesfan97
01-12-2014, 10:56 PM
I saw it tonight. I'm pretty much telling people this is a must see movie. I need to reread the book!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Slavex
01-13-2014, 04:39 AM
excellent movie, I know jack all about the real thing, haven't the read the book yet, but I enjoyed it greatly. I don't think I've ever sat in a theatre where the crowd stayed so quiet, even after the movie. I also don't think there was a dry eye in the place. Pretty moving.
Interesting interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5m9CMT_1bU

RoyGBiv
01-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Michael Murphys father is a class act too..
http://video.foxnews.com/v/3047683511001/michael-murphys-father-talks-lone-survivor/

Kyle Reese
01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Not everyone loved the movie (http://www.laweekly.com/2013-12-26/film-tv/lone-survivor-mark-wahlberg-review/?_r=true)

Of course the libs had to pipe in with their hateful BS.

EMC
01-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Not everyone loved the movie (http://www.laweekly.com/2013-12-26/film-tv/lone-survivor-mark-wahlberg-review/?_r=true)

Of course the libs had to pipe in with their hateful BS.

The comments on that story are full of win though.

RoyGBiv
01-15-2014, 08:54 PM
The comments on that story are full of win though.
Found this (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/15/the-lone-survivor-review-so-controversial-glenn-beck-will-pay-the-author-to-read-it-to-marcus-luttrells-face/) in there

Glenn Beck on Wednesday offered to fly Amy Nicholson of LA Weekly to his Dallas studios first class if she will read the review she wrote of “Lone Survivor” in the presence of former Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell, on whom the film is based.

SeriousStudent
01-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Found this (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/15/the-lone-survivor-review-so-controversial-glenn-beck-will-pay-the-author-to-read-it-to-marcus-luttrells-face/) in there

I'll pick up the tab for a chauffeured Lincoln Town Car to take her from the airport to the TV studio.

Serious offer.

Kyle Reese
01-15-2014, 10:44 PM
Saw the film tonight. It's something that should be seen by every American adult.

Tamara
01-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Saw the film tonight. It's something that should be seen by every American adult.

I was a little wrecked by the time the credits rolled.

And judging from the fact that the only noise in the theater that would have drowned out a dropping pin was the occasional sniffle, it had the same effect on a lot of people.

UNK
01-18-2014, 08:38 PM

And judging from the fact that the only noise in the theater that would have drowned out a dropping pin was the occasional sniffle, it had the same effect on a lot of people.

I couldn't even have a conversation after it was over. I thought you got harder with age. Guess not.

KeeFus
01-18-2014, 08:40 PM

Watched it today in Myrtle Beach. Cinema was near max capacity, mostly folks my age or older. You could feel every lump they took down that mountain. My son and I would cringe during some of the scenes as did other folks around us as they voiced their feelings.

At the end of the movie there was silence...stone cold silence. I think that the age group of the folks inside of the theatre was able to grasp every emotion in this movie. I will watch it again.

NETim
01-18-2014, 08:59 PM
I couldn't even have a conversation after it was over. I thought you got harder with age. Guess not.

That's been my experience. :(

I had some bad dreams last night after seeing it yesterday evening. Reading the book didn't really prepare me for the impact.

Damn.

It is a very well done movie in any event. Like BHD, it will be difficult for me to watch in the future.

Tamara
01-18-2014, 11:15 PM
It is a very well done movie in any event. Like BHD, it will be difficult for me to watch in the future.

Tangentially, before the movie started I was pondering the fact that Red Wings is as far in the past now as Gothic Serpent was when BHD hit theaters.

Chemsoldier
01-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Now I feel old.

NickA
01-26-2014, 07:13 PM
The wife and I went to Alamo Drafthouse last night and watched it. Damn. Real glad we finished eating before the fight started; my wife couldn't stop shaking. Extremely powerful, and I'd guess it captured the... misery.. of the whole thing pretty well. When bullets are flying but you're still thinking about how bad that must have hurt when a branch slaps a guy in the face, or when he falls on rocks, that's pretty good filmmaking IMO.
I do wish they hadn't monkeyed around with the ending so much though. It was totally unnecessary, and really detracted from the whole experience.

trailrunner
01-26-2014, 08:20 PM
I do wish they hadn't monkeyed around with the ending so much though. It was totally unnecessary, and really detracted from the whole experience.

I agree. If the movie would have stuck to the real ending, even if was quiet and anti-climatic, the movie would have been far better. There was already plenty of action and drama, but I guess Hollywood requires that every movie has to go out with a bang and yet one more fight scene.