PDA

View Full Version : Mother of Pearl: 19th Century Tacticool

Tamara
11-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Not only does mother-of-pearl look blingin' when used as grip material on a revolver, but I learned recently that another reason it was favored is that when your hand is sweaty and hot, the nacre actually becomes a little tacky to the touch, rather than slippery.

Now I don't have to feel embarrassed about the big mother-of-pearl slabs on my .44 Hand Ejector, because they're really just an early version of VZ Gatorbacks...

Erik
11-11-2013, 02:19 PM
That's very cool. Is there a source I can go to for more info? Poking around on Google didn't get me there.

JeffJ
11-11-2013, 02:22 PM
And it qualifies you to be a pimp in a New Orleans whorehouse.

JFK
11-11-2013, 02:27 PM
And it qualifies you to be a pimp in a New Orleans whorehouse.

Madam in her case...

Tamara
11-11-2013, 02:40 PM
That's very cool. Is there a source I can go to for more info? Poking around on Google didn't get me there.

It was in a dead-tree book I was reading in the last couple months and I can't for the life of me remember which one.

It came to me recently when I was doing some work here in the office and my hands had gotten sweaty and my eyes lighted upon a knife I have with MOP scales, so I checked it. I don't know if it's the acid content of perspiration or what, but it seems to be true.

jetfire
11-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I am now going to order mother of pearl grip inserts for my GP100 to replace those slippery wood panels. I will have the pimpingest IDPA gun on the block.

Erik
11-11-2013, 03:00 PM
It was in a dead-tree book I was reading in the last couple months and I can't for the life of me remember which one.

It came to me recently when I was doing some work here in the office and my hands had gotten sweaty and my eyes lighted upon a knife I have with MOP scales, so I checked it. I don't know if it's the acid content of perspiration or what, but it seems to be true.

Thanks. I am so going to have to figure out a way to work more mother of pearl into my daily life.

Tamara
11-11-2013, 03:02 PM
I am now going to order mother of pearl grip inserts for my GP100 to replace those slippery wood panels. I will have the pimpingest IDPA gun on the block.

Well, the downside, of course, is that they crack if you look at them funny, let alone actually shoot the gun. :o

(I am noting that the effect doesn't seem to happen with cool tap water like it does with warm perspiration. This calls for materials science. *Turns on the Bill Signal!*)

jetfire
11-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Well, the downside, of course, is that they crack if you look at them funny, let alone actually shoot the gun. :o

(I am noting that the effect doesn't seem to happen with cool tap water like it does with warm perspiration. This calls for materials science. *Turns on the Bill Signal!*)

Batsperger's Symbol?

I actually kind of wonder how they'd hold up on the GP100 since they're wrapped up in all that rubber from the grip itself.

RoyGBiv
11-11-2013, 03:15 PM
As Tam mentions above MOP is rather fragile. It's the inside of a mollusk (oyster, mussel, etc) shell, literally. Made up of the same stuff (nacre) as a pearl. I can't speak to "not slippery when wet", but the fragility of MOP seems inappropriate for a gun that will see regular use. Also, just like with pearl necklaces, natural human pH may cause damage/wear/etching of the surface (slightly acidic sweaty hands). Not sure what something basic (high pH cleaning solvents) would do.

I've got a bit of experience importing pearls, so I'm familiar with some of the properties. IMO, pearl grips are for show, if bling is your thing.

Even Eagle (http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Genuine-Mother-Of-Pearl-1911-Grips-623.html) says "As Mother of Pearl is fragile,we do not guarantee it to stand up the rigors of use."

Tamara
11-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Out of curiosity, from what kind of shell would they get chunks big enough to stock an N-frame with?

RoyGBiv
11-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Out of curiosity, from what kind of shell would they get chunks big enough to stock an N-frame with?

I've got a better understanding of the oyster/pearl side than the shell side, but, mollusks come in a wide variety of sizes, from tiny baby "seed" mussels to huge geoducks, conch, giant clams (big enough fit your torso inside), etc...

Again according to Eagle (http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Genuine-Mother-Of-Pearl-1911-Grips-623.html), "Mother-of-pearl is harvested at a depth of 125 feet, and the oyster has to be at least four to five years old before it can be harvested. At that point, if the shells pass all inspections, they can be made into one of the most beautiful of all stock materials. "

Eagle does not mention whether their MOP grips are full-thickness MOP. I suspect (but don't know for certain) that they are MOP overlayed onto some other material... wood, bone, synthetic... Googling for "thick mother of pearl" turns up 1.5mm thickness material... Not thick enough for a set of grips unless it's used as a veneer. Could also be that Eagle is sourcing its MOP specifically to be thick enough... A specific species of oyster cultivated in a specific way might yield thicker MOP, but, I'd bet they use veneer, both for material availability and because they could choose a substrate material that would be less fragile.

More about temperature and pressure and nacre development here (http://www.news.wisc.edu/20338)

NickA
11-11-2013, 04:35 PM

giant clams (big enough fit your torso inside), etc...

So "clams that haunt your nightmares" then.

RoyGBiv
11-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Awesomely beautiful clams.... I can easily outrun them :p (random image from internets)

http://www.halsteaddiving.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Leigh-with-Giant-Clam1.jpg

Tamara
11-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Again according to Eagle (http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Genuine-Mother-Of-Pearl-1911-Grips-623.html), "Mother-of-pearl is harvested at a depth of 125 feet, and the oyster has to be at least four to five years old before it can be harvested. At that point, if the shells pass all inspections, they can be made into one of the most beautiful of all stock materials. "

Cool!

(Here (http://cosmolineandrust.blogspot.com/2007/07/sunday-smith-6.html)'s the vintage set on my .44 HE 2nd Model.)

will_1400
11-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Doesn't ivory exhibit similar non-slip characteristics without the fragility of MOP?

Tamara
11-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Doesn't ivory exhibit similar non-slip characteristics without the fragility of MOP?

It might; I do not know.

Someday I will have a set of nice ivory grip panels for a 1911.

JAD
11-11-2013, 07:37 PM

Phrasing.

RoyGBiv
11-11-2013, 07:48 PM
It might; I do not know.

Perhaps instead of destroying this it could have been auctioned to raise awareness and money for conservation?

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/nov/11/ivory-smashed-end-illegal-trade-obama

Zeroptsdown
11-19-2013, 01:38 AM

MOP is Calcium carbonate (CaCO3 which is highly reactive to acids. If your perspiration is acidic it will cause a reaction and 'erode' the MOP causing the 'tacky' or rough surface.

Tap water generally has a a neutral pH which will explain the lack of a reaction.

Tamara
11-19-2013, 03:21 PM
MOP is Calcium carbonate (CaCO3 which is highly reactive to acids. If your perspiration is acidic it will cause a reaction and 'erode' the MOP causing the 'tacky' or rough surface.

Tap water generally has a a neutral pH which will explain the lack of a reaction.

Thank you for the answer. (Now I don't want to touch even the stocks on old resolvers if my hands are sweaty. :( )

BLR
11-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Thank you for the answer. (Now I don't want to touch even the stocks on old resolvers if my hands are sweaty. :( )

It's a little more complicated than that. Its an organic-inorganic material, with a goodly portion of it being carbonates. The calcium carbonate is poorly soluble (milligram in 100 mL or there abouts), and additionally is stabilized by the organic "cell" structure/binder. That organic is what makes the "sticky" feeling, the carbonate is usually encapsulated and not accessible by sweat or blood. Think of it as a mineralized plastic.

In other words, no frets about using those pimp pistol stocks. You aren't going to dissolve that grip any time soon.

Sorry I didn't read this sooner - I saw MoP in the title and felt all icky.

BWT
11-19-2013, 04:26 PM
It might; I do not know.

On my Honeymoon in Hawaii you would not believe the ivory after market there. They had 1911 series 70 ivory stocks for sale in more than one shop.

They also had tusks, including Mammoth tusks, etc. as much as it's American, it's also... Not. Different world on Maui, for sure.

Might give the local shops a call there and see what they'll mail.

David Armstrong
11-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Perhaps instead of destroying this it could have been auctioned to raise awareness and money for conservation?

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/nov/11/ivory-smashed-end-illegal-trade-obama
Sadly the cost is greater than the benefit. ANY source of legal product provides cover and encouragement for illegal marketing. We've found that out with things like rhino horn, tiger parts, etc.

farscott
02-03-2014, 07:04 PM

Yes, it does. My 9x23 Series '80 that John Harrison massaged into a real shooter wears ivory stocks, and they are quite grippy with sweaty hands. The ivory is also much more robust than MoP, but it can be damaged. Unfortunately it is a lot less damaging to the wallet to buy a few pair of VZs than a single pair of ivories.