PDA

View Full Version : P30 V1 - Ready to go but a couple of questions

LostDuke
11-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Well, after YEARS of lurking reading and learning finally joined, so first thanks to all for the interesting content on this forum and on the site.

Have been playing with a LEM V1 at a LGS, and have been impressed by the trigger, it seems very good out of the box but then I read about the modifications that Todd recommends without being able to find out exactly what are they. So can you please tell me which are the parts to swap?
Since I compete in IDPA a lot, would the long version be preferable? I have never seen it, is it as realiable and solid as the shorter version?

Lastly, does $999 seems a reasonable price?

JV_
11-09-2013, 01:21 PM
At my local shop, which I consider on the higher end in terms of prices, they're between $925 and $1K. Yours definitely on the higher end of P30 prices.

But I don't think it matters much; if you plan to shoot it, it's going to go down in value. Shoot it and enjoy it.

YVK
11-09-2013, 01:30 PM
I think you only need a heavy trigger return spring to change to TLG's setup. For more detailed info, look here
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-reference-library/168700-spring-reference-chart-different-lem-variants.html

I've shot a little bit of IDPA with P30. My scores are about same with it vs Glock 17 vs Beretta. In fact, they are numerically slightly better with P30, but it may reflect my dedication to it than anything else.

I have both P30 and P30L, but Ive spent very little time with the latter. I think I am a bit more accurate with L, I don't perceive much difference in recoil and flip, but I don't have enough data to be certain.

gtmtnbiker98
11-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Why are you considering modifying a gun before you've shot it, based upon what somebody else does? Just curious. Hard to justify changes before you know how the gun runs as is. As for the price, way too high IMO. P30's can be had for ~$850 all day long, not $999.

LostDuke
11-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Why are you considering modifying a gun before you've shot it, based upon what somebody else does? Just curious. Hard to justify changes before you know how the gun runs as is. As for the price, way too high IMO. P30's can be had for ~$850 all day long, not $999.

I have shot the LEM version, just never owned one. Two years ago I purchased a second hand V3 from a forum, and it turned out some two pennies gunsmith had done a sloppy trigger job which the seller did not disclose. Took the loss, disclosed it and sold it.

Was trying to understand the kind of modification because I wanted to understand how much it would cost, to budget accurately. Too often I bought a gun without factoring the ancillary costs and run over budget.

As for the price, I know it's expensive but one needs to support his LGS now and then. Got it this afternoon, obtained a discount but still too high. Oh well. The trigger is.... relentless is the first thing that comes to mind. Cold beautiful and relentless. Tomorrow will go hot with it.

Thank you all again.

Casual Friday
11-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Congrats on a fine pistol.

LostDuke
11-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Today I went for a practice session (shooting the BUG nationals on Friday) and of course I had to run a couple of hundred rounds through the P30 as well. Great gun, it will be a lot of learning to become proficient with it, but am looking forward to it. It started poorly, with some 147 grains reloads which failed to eject properly. Changed ammo, run with 124 grains (Montana Gold, 5.6 grains of Accurate 5) and a mix of ammo I found in the house including some dirty Russian ammo which I bought during last year's dry run. Went through everything without an issue, shot beautifully. Then it went through some more of initial batch of the 147 grains mostly without an issue, even though I saw a couple of stovepipes.

For now, am very happy. Once it's broken in will try to isolate the issue with the 147 grains. They were a mix of Berry and Bayou bullets with 4.5 grains of Acccurate 5 by the way.

JMorse
11-12-2013, 01:40 AM
I too have a new v1. In the 900 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 124g that I've run through it, I have yet to have a failure of any kind. Might be worth picking up some of that. Using the bot I found online to search ammo prices, rareammo.com had the best deal on the stuff. Keep in mind you'll want to use brass case fmj stuff in the p30, according to the common wisdom here.