PDA

View Full Version : laptop + water =

JodyH
05-30-2011, 05:21 PM
What do you get when you spill a large glass of water onto the keyboard of a $3500 Alienware 17" laptop?
Sadness...
Much sadness.

NickA
05-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Aww damn...hate to hear that dude.

orionz06
05-30-2011, 05:50 PM
A sane person would look up their insurance company and tell them what happened and use the no questions asked policy to get a replacement.

DonovanM
05-30-2011, 06:29 PM
This is why you save the big money for desktops.

Just sayin ;)

Hell, I'd be heartbroken if I spilled something on the Dell I got for free!

LittleLebowski
05-30-2011, 06:31 PM
A sane person would look up their insurance company and tell them what happened and use the no questions asked policy to get a replacement.

This works very well, Jody. Do it.

Otherwise, dry it in a large bag of rice for a few days.

JV_
05-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Recently, I gave my wife a bunch of grief for spilling something sticky on the keyboard. A few keys didn't work, like the left ALT key.

The replacement keyboard arrives, and less than 24 hours later, I spill an entire soda on it. It was totally dead.

Be careful with that replacement.....

willowofwisp
05-30-2011, 10:24 PM
That sucks man, the one thing that is nice about my Lenovo thinkpad is it has built in drains..I hoped to never test it out but last year I managed to knock my water bottle onto the keyboard and well all the water went out the side and nothing happened.

ToddG
05-31-2011, 09:33 AM
That's why I buy Macs. God wouldn't let me spill anything on my Mac.

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/mac-users.jpg

orionz06
05-31-2011, 09:35 AM
That's why I buy Macs. God wouldn't let me spill anything on my Mac.

I thought Macs came from the factory with a Starbucks safe coating anyway.

LittleLebowski
05-31-2011, 09:41 AM
Your home insurance should fix it sans the cost of the deductible, Jody. Call them.

orionz06
05-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Your home insurance should fix it sans the cost of the deductible, Jody. Call them.

Individual policies are relatively cheap as well. I have used them for laptops before and they are 100% no questions asked. Call them, tell them it is effed up and they cut you a check.

DonovanM
05-31-2011, 05:58 PM

...and a half written coming of age novel :D

Josh Runkle
06-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Being 100% serious: I've spilled at minimum: 2 glasses of water, 1 glass of wine, 2 beers and countless bits of sandwiches and the like, all over the same macbook pro 17" I've had for the last 4 years (waaay overdue for a new laptop), and it still runs like a champ. I would bet it is more good luck than anything, but I'm curious if there may actually be some sort of "Starbucks safe coating", or the like, that they put on my laptop.

LittleLebowski
06-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Macs are incredibly tough. If OS X and IOS merge, I'll have a hard time finding an X86 laptop of decent quality to install Linux on.

JDM
06-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Macs are incredibly tough. If OS X and IOS merge, I'll have a hard time finding an X86 laptop of decent quality to install Linux on.

I believe all apple products to be tough. My iPhone 3G was completely submerged in two separate incidents within the span of a month and functioned normally for nearly a year after.

MDS
06-01-2011, 12:38 PM
I believe all apple products to be tough. My iPhone 3G was completely submerged in two separate incidents within the span of a month and functioned normally for nearly a year after.

I treat laptops the way Todd treats shot timers. I've made mac laptops fail in two ways. First, the drive doesn't take kindly to vibrations. I've had SSDs in my macs for over a year now, and haven't had any failures, so this seems fixed.

The second thing is heat. On my workhorse macbook, the mouse starts working erratically after a while. I have to replace the battery, because the heat deforms it and it starts pushing up into the mouse. (I push my laptop pretty hard, so it's often very hot for hours at a time...)

But yeah, my macs have lasted me a good deal longer than any other decently-performing laptop I've used.

jslaker
06-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I dropped my Macbook Pro in a hotel parking lot and broke the battery a week ago.

I'm rough on computers. That MBP is easily the one I've done the most damage to of all the notebooks I've owned over the years.

DonovanM
06-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Lucky. I got a little water on the screen on the screen of my 3G and the backlight died. I was about to pay for a replacement but it started working again on its own a couple weeks later.

Hasn't happened since, but, it has been enveloped in an Otterbox.

gtmtnbiker98
06-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Well, that is exactly what Lion is. We will know more when the Mesiah, I mean Jobs, gives the keynote at WWDC.