PDA

View Full Version : Leather Belt

TGS
05-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Hi all,

I've been using a 1.5" wide Galco leather belt for carry. I've seen a huge difference in quality between Galco holsters and handmade-to-order holsters such as Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen or UBG, but is there that much of a difference in belts? I don't notice the Galco belt to be too floppy or weak, but have no experience with premium leather belts or CompTacs leather/kydex belt, and am not sure if I'm missing out on anything.

What do you think?

John Ralston
05-30-2011, 12:12 PM
I would stay away from anything with a kydex liner - the kydex will eventually crack at the hole. Kydex isn't the correct material to be using for that application. The liner should be made from something that isn't notch sensitive.

As for the quality difference, I don't know, but generall you will find that the custom makers spend more time on the small, finish details. I will say, however, that I see a lot of belts that purchasers have raved about that to me were lacking in those finish details. Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, Garrity, Bulman & Del Fatti make very nice belts - I have not seen a belt from UBG.

VolGrad
05-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, Garrity, Bulman & Del Fatti make very nice belts.
.... add TT Gunleather to that list. The best belt I've ever owned is a sharkskin Tim made me.

Another quality maker at reasonable prices (and has many made to order for fast delivery) is A&G Custom Gun Leather. I have several A&G and a couple of Beltman and they are pretty much on par with one another. The TT is much nicer than the others but was more expensive (exotic).