PDA

View Full Version : 'Glock Knuckle' fixes or remedies?

Jameson
05-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Todd's latest post on Pistol-Training notes that he developed a case of the infamous 'Glock Knuckle' (intense soreness, irratation of the strong hand, middle finger's first knuckle) while shooting the Gen 4 G17.

Glock Knuckle has been something I've always had an issue with. My grip with the strong hand is very high, tight, and aggressive, which usually means I almost always have some degree of soreness in that knuckle (all I shoot, dry fire, carry and train with is a G17). I limit my daily dry fire manipulations to about 20 minutes/day (which is on top of ~200 rounds of weekly live fire drills), because any more, and I'll develop a big blister on that first knuckle within a week.

Occasionally my knuckle gets so battered and sore that simply acquiring a grip on my holstered G17 will make me wince in pain. When that happens, I have to either shoot WHO exclusively, or just focus on a carbine for a couple weeks until I heal. No amount of gauze or sports tape on the knuckle seems to help or prevent it.

I've been contemplating taking a dremel to my G17's trigger guard, as I feel even a small chamfer or radius on that sharp edge would help... but I still haven't developed the balls to take a power tool to my handgun. If anybody has done this, I'd love to hear about it/ see pictures. Any other 'Glock Knuckle' remedies (hardware or software-wise) anybody has would also be greatly appreciated.

JV_
05-29-2011, 07:43 PM
I only get it when switching back to a Glock, after a month or so, it turns in to a callus.

3-7-77
05-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Wrap some sandpaper around a small wooden dowel, about a 1/2 diameter dowel. Start with 80-120 grit and work your way to 200-600 grit. Finish with a buffer wheel on the dremel. Worked for me.

ToddG
05-29-2011, 09:04 PM
I already have the callous. Most guns rub me in that same general spot.

The difference is that the Glock is hitting my knuckle or something and actually causing the joint itself, not the skin around it, to become pained. It only happens when I shoot a lot of rounds in one day but it's annoying. I'm seriously considering a little handiwork on the frame to relieve the area, but I'm sensitive to making a change to my "test gun."

LittleLebowski
05-29-2011, 09:41 PM

The difference is that the Glock is hitting my knuckle or something and actually causing the joint itself, not the skin around it, to become pained. It only happens when I shoot a lot of rounds in one day but it's annoying. I'm seriously considering a little handiwork on the frame to relieve the area, but I'm sensitive to making a change to my "test gun."

I did some work on mine in the same vein. I have the callous but it wasn't enough.

orionz06
05-29-2011, 10:36 PM
I have hit them with a dremel many times for myself and others. It is a minute or two job.

Prdator
05-29-2011, 10:38 PM

Well I understand the hesitation, but to Quote Tom Givens, " we carry plastic guns to make then the way we need them" ( or something to that effect)

I HAD to undercut the trigger guard on mine and Oh man it's SO much better now!!

ranburr
05-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Dremel it.

LittleLebowski
05-30-2011, 06:06 AM
I'll take a better pic later. Please share your modifications you implemented for this problem.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/Fingergrooves2.jpg

Ed L
05-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Gen 3 and later Glocks with the finger grooves seem to be worse in this regard. All my Glocks are Gen 2. For whatever reason, Glock knuckle seems worse to me in colder weather. I often wear a pair of thin Mechanix gloves when I am doing any prolonged shooting.

I would love to see and hear about solutions to this issue, since before recent QC events this is what kept me from buying a newer Glock.

David Armstrong
05-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Don't find it a problem with normal shooting, but when doing extended shooting sessions I slip on a baseball batters glove. Gives just enough protection for me.

JohnN
05-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Ben at Boresight Solutions probably does one of the most aggressive and attractive mods on the Glock trigger guard.

JV_
05-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Ben at Boresight Solutions probably does one of the most aggressive and attractive mods on the Glock trigger guard.That does look nice, but I wonder how it would impact the "click" type holsters and their retention. I'm specifically thinking about Blade-Tech's newer designs that have the pimples in the trigger guard area that provide the "click".

orionz06
05-30-2011, 05:19 PM
The click is on the inside of the trigger guard, should be fine.

nar472
05-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Give it the dremal treatment makes a big difference all my Glocks get it now.

Man boresight sure does nice work.

Jameson
06-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks gentlemen, I think I'm now convinced that the dremel is indeed the best solution to this problem. I'll be doing my first official Glock frame mod on my next day off.

I've actually always liked the look of Boresight's work, but I'm an honest-to-God 'one gun' guy, and would have to buy and set up a duplicate G17 before I send mine out for work. Though, getting a second G17 is a sound idea in itself, and probably something I should do anyway... :cool:

dickmadison
06-04-2011, 10:24 PM
been shooting glocks for a couple years now and never had this problem...how are you all gripping your glocks? The edge of my knuckle is just on the edge of the trigger guard. Is my hand not wrapped around far enough? ---not that I want to have this problem or anything :) but just curious how do you figure out the proper place for strong hand?

Magsz
06-05-2011, 03:04 PM
It doesnt take much to cure this issue. Alot of guys doing home mods and undercutting their grips tend to remove too much material and can actually end up making this problem even worse.

I will have to get a close up but radiusing the sides of the trigger guard and enlarging the undercut just a TAD helps tremendously. Simply dremeling the area without understanding where the issue is coming from wont help so before taking a high powered rotational destruction tool, aka dremel to your plastic wonder...seriously sit and think about what you WANT to change.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8724/cdigripforceadapter1of1.jpg

Jameson
06-06-2011, 09:03 AM
It doesnt take much to cure this issue. Alot of guys doing home mods and undercutting their grips tend to remove too much material and can actually end up making this problem even worse.

I will have to get a close up but radiusing the sides of the trigger guard and enlarging the undercut just a TAD helps tremendously. Simply dremeling the area without understanding where the issue is coming from wont help so before taking a high powered rotational destruction tool, aka dremel to your plastic wonder...seriously sit and think about what you WANT to change.

Well, I did my frame modification a few days ago, and despite having never seen this post, actually ended up doing exactly what you suggest here, and came out with something remarkably similar to the pic you posted.

I never used a dremel. Instead, I opted to do all of the shaping by hand, starting with 100 grit sandpaper. I went SLOW, and checked the 'fit' often. I made the 'hump' (where the trigger guard transitions from flat to undercut) less abrupt, and put a nice smooth radius on both sides of the trigger guard, where it meets the grip. After getting the desired shape, I smoothed the area with 150 grit, then 220, and finally a 320 grit sanding sponge. I then did a final finish with a green Scotch-Brite pad.

The end result involved the removal of very little material. Most probably wouldn't even notice anything had been modified, at a glance. Despite such a small change, the difference it made is amazing. To my middle finger's knuckle, it now feels like a completely different handgun. I'm definitely having one of those 'I should have done this 3 years ago' moments.

I agree that a dremel is 100% unnecessary for getting the desired outcome.

cgcorrea
07-05-2011, 08:08 AM
I have this problem with both Glocks and M&Ps. At first it hurt alot, and blistered pretty bad. But pushing through it over time has made it so I don't feel it as much if at all. I do however have a permanent bump on the side of my knuckle that always seems to have dry skin on top(pic below). Thankfully though, it doesn't blister up anymore.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/cgcorrea/DSCN0374.jpg

SeaSoldier
07-05-2011, 09:16 AM
"Harden the Fuke Up America". That being said,all my Glocks look similar to to the Boresight mod.

Mr_White
07-06-2011, 03:08 PM
My Glock knuckle is huge and gnarly. It actually started to crack the other day, so it hurt to acquire a master grip during drawstroke practice. Since the callous is dead skin, I don't think it was going to heal, so I tried supergluing it, which worked great! I've had to reapply the superglue a couple of times as it begins wearing off and breaking down, but this stuff is awesome.

willowofwisp
07-06-2011, 11:21 PM
I get the glock knucle normally during high round count sessions, like after a Pat Rogers class this weekend, no biggie I just throw a bandaid or some tape over it and keep on going, My last 19 was done by Ben and the problem went away, in a month or two my current 19 will be sent to him and then this will no longer be a problem.

EVP
05-27-2012, 07:19 PM
I am bumping this thread because I had a question.

It might be non issue but does undercutting the trigger guard compromise frame strength? I see some trigger guards thinned out pretty good. I was going to send off my g19 to Ben at boresight in the future.

Spr1
05-28-2012, 07:10 AM
You can get a major improvement with very little material removal by focusing your efforts on the offending corner(s). At least for me, the squared off edges do most of the harm.