PDA

View Full Version : Double action characteristics - M15 S&W

Spr1
11-03-2013, 05:35 PM
I picked up a new in box 20 year old M15 (S&W Heritage series with Turnbull color case hardened frame). The double action pretty much sucked out of the box.... Yes, I am a heathen and I am shooting it..... When I took the factory grips off to wipe it down I discovered some light rust. That helped me rationalize shooting it.

I slicked up a few burrs inside, put a 14 pound rebound spring and a different factory mainspring in it. This work has dramatically improved the trigger pull. As has firing and dry firing it about a thousand times.

But, since new, the final stacking portion of the pull, where you could stage it, is much more of a creepy, hard, increase in pull than any other Smith I have had. I am wondering if this could be insufficient clearance between the DA sear nose and the trigger?

Thoughts?

Spr1
11-04-2013, 07:45 PM
It has been suggested on other forums that the width of the hand could be the culprit.

Im51504ID
11-04-2013, 07:58 PM
The Heritage 15's were made soon after the switch to MIM parts, and they aren't known for having "Heritage" S&W actions. I own several of the series, but they're just in the collection and not shooters. There are likely a number of parts that could use some polishing or refitting.

There are guys that can improve the actions on the MIM guns, but not as many as can on the older guns. When I sent a newer MIM L frame into the S&W custom shop for some work, to include an action job, they replaced the hammer and trigger with forged versions, without my requesting they do so.

Spr1
11-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I definitely had it share of burrs and rough spots inside. The pull would be pretty good if I could fix that last bit.