PDA

View Full Version : Raven Phantom

LSP972
11-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Looking for feedback on this holster. I gather from the website that it comes in OWB configuration, but can be set up for IWB vis optional attachments?

Are the belt loops at either end (side) of the holster, or more to the middle?

Is it curved to conform to body shape?

I'm needing to get a holster for my grandson's 92F, and might as well buy a good one that he can use down the road, as opposed to some el cheapo get-by holster for the class he's going to. But I've always a bit… meh… over these riveted kydex rigs. Anyone who uses/has used one, I'd appreciate your comments.

JV_
11-01-2013, 06:21 PM
I've had a few of them and I was never happy with the retention, and it's not easily adjusted. I sold all of them and will not buy another.

Yes, it's curved a bit. Body shapes vary too much to say it will conform to your grandson's.
The loops are on the edges.

My first choice is a Safariland ALS.

BobM
11-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I've been wearing one since they were fairly new on the market. The belt loops are on the end and a couple of different IWB attachments are available. I've used the rubber soft loops. I ended up buying another one set up to wear OWB so I wouldn't have to switch back and forth.

Doublestack45
11-01-2013, 06:54 PM
I now own four Phantom's, three standard and one light compatible. After messing with every every IWB option they offer, I have most set up with their OWB Pancake wings. They can be attached to offer an almost FBI cant that works well to conceal even large frame Glocks. You can also do this with the OWB loops that come with the holster, but the gun is a little further away from your body. Excellent rigs-no matter how you wear them.

JBP55
11-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Most of my holster needs are covered between Safariland ALS and JM Kydex.

JV_
11-01-2013, 07:03 PM

Yup.

Dagga Boy
11-01-2013, 07:09 PM
I use the ALS for overt work, but spent a lot of 18 hour days in a Raven Phantom doing protection work. THey are an outstanding OWB concealment rig. Many use them for overt carry, but that is a better role for the ALS. I am testing some new kydex, but the Raven stuff is the standard.

SeriousStudent
11-01-2013, 07:26 PM
I have three Raven Phantoms, two of them are the LC model for carrying with a Surefire X300, one is a plain Phantom.

I much prefer them for OWB carry. I do not use them for IWB. For that, I prefer the Comp-Tac MTAC.

Mine are probably 4 years old? I had to replace one belt loop that broke with age/use/moronic user stupidity on the G17 holster. But I always order spare loops for every holster, so no biggie.

They seem to work well for me, with my build and with Glocks. Just my two cents.

JSGlock34
11-01-2013, 09:12 PM
I've been using Raven Phantoms for my Glocks for several years now, including classes with Todd, Larry Vickers, Ernest Langdon and Travis Haley. I think they offer a very concealable OWB. I've been using their excellent QMS attachments. They're a bit large for IWB, but I sometimes carry a G19 in that manner.

Interestingly, I just picked one up for a Beretta M9/92FS, but have yet to take it to the range. So far it looks like the high level of quality I've come to expect from RCS. It also shipped the day after I ordered it. I remember having to wait months for my first RCS holsters, but they now offer quite a few popular variants via their Quick-Ship list.

65k10
11-01-2013, 09:22 PM

I'm already a big fan of ALS holsters, but this is the first I've heard of JM Kydex. After looking at their products it looks like I found the holster I've been looking for to pair with a pistol I have on order.

Cookie Monster
11-01-2013, 09:47 PM
I've got three Ravens, one left handed and two right. I run them IWB and they are fine holsters. They don't curve (not enough) or fit to my body as much as I would like so I've got a gap between my belt and body on the tail end of them (32" waist). No issues but not ideal.

Good holsters, lots of rep's with them but seems like an OWB more than IWB.

I think I need a set of leather from one of the folks here.

Cookie Monster

Casual Friday
11-01-2013, 10:02 PM
One of the best OWB holsters on the market, in my humble opinion anyways.

Tamara
11-01-2013, 10:52 PM
I've got three Phantoms. Like them a lot. Have one for an M&P and one for a Glock with no light, both set up with IWB loops, which I don't use much anymore, and one for an M&P w/TLR-1 that is set up with OWB loops that is the regular holster for the M&P w/the dot and light.

Between RCS and Dark Star Gear, my Milt Sparks leather is getting dusty between formal occasions...

Salamander
11-02-2013, 01:11 AM
I have two Raven Phantom's, one for a M&P 45 and one for a HK P2000, like them a lot, and plan to order a couple more. As stated above they're very good for OWB concealed carry, and I use them in one of two situations: In town when I can wear a suit jacket or something else long enough to cover OWB, and for woods carry when I'm generally in a gore-tex jacket in rainy season or can wear a long lightweight untucked shirt in summer. I've done long day hikes over very rugged mountain terrain and through dense brush and have had no problems with retention. I've also worn them for two-day pistol classes with excellent results.

I haven't yet tried IWB, I have what I believe are more comfortable options for that. Still, it's nice to have the option.

I own one ALS but it's very difficult to conceal. Perfectly good overt duty holster, but that's not what I do.

oldtexan
11-02-2013, 09:20 AM
I've got four Phantoms: one for a light equipped Glock, two for non-light equipped Glocks, and one for a Walther PPS. I wear one as my everyday carry holster, IWB, with the old-style kydex loops. Have used them for about four years with no issues. They are lower profile than the Blade-Tech IWB because of the loop location, and are IME, more stable than my Comp-Tac CTAC. Retention and durability are excellent. I highly recommend them.

Boxy
11-02-2013, 12:08 PM
I have used a Comptac Minataur IWB hybrid holster ( leather/kydex) for a number of years and recently bought one for IWB for Glocks. Seems more stable and comfortable than the Comptac for me. I also have one for a P30 that I use OWB.

I have a great many holsters that I have tried over the years and was reluctant to try yet a new type, but this one seems to hit the mark best today. As with most consumable items your mileage may vary.

Pennzoil
11-02-2013, 06:00 PM

Same here and I'd add Kaluban Cloak for kydex pancake style holsters.

The quality difference between Kaluban and Raven is night and day but my raven is pretty old so maybe they improved. My Raven holster had too much material removed around the trigger guard allowing the trigger to be pulled while gun was holstered. Also it had a slight curve but I'd need a 40" plus waist to fit the curve so it doesn't fit my body well. That said if you have issues raven will try to fix it quick.

JDM
11-02-2013, 07:11 PM
I often used an RCS phantom for my M&P when I carried one, and I liked it fine for an OWB holster.

More importantly, the holster (which I had purchased second hand) cracked, and was promptly replaced (IIRC within a week) by Raven when their wait time was measured in months.

If I still had a reason to own a 'traditional' OWB holster, I'd buy from RCS again.

LSP972
11-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Okay, you guys convinced me.

I'll order one Monday.

Many thanks for the information.

Tamara
11-03-2013, 12:48 AM
My Raven holster had too much material removed around the trigger guard allowing the trigger to be pulled while gun was holstered.

Holy cow! Do you have a pic of that?

Pennzoil
11-03-2013, 07:30 AM
Holy cow! Do you have a pic of that?

Picture of one with same issue mine had.
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2105-Raven-Light-Compatible-Holster

I talk about it here.
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?154-Who-carries-a-Weapon-mounted-light

http://imageshack.us/a/img718/1938/img2401x.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img560/7219/img2400v.jpg

Tamara
11-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks!

jmcrawf1
11-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Picture of one with same issue mine had.
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2105-Raven-Light-Compatible-Holster

I talk about it here.
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?154-Who-carries-a-Weapon-mounted-light

http://imageshack.us/a/img718/1938/img2401x.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img560/7219/img2400v.jpg

I have one from Persec holsters with the same issue.

ST911
11-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Most WML holsters will have that issue to one extent or another, depending on the clearances needed for the particular WML and host gun.

rob_s
11-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Most WML holsters will have that issue to one extent or another, depending on the clearances needed for the particular WML and host gun.

I'm glad you said that. I was having a hard time figuring out what the problem was. Looks fine to me.

LSP972
11-04-2013, 08:45 AM
I don't suppose anyone has a contact # for Raven? I have a couple of questions I would like answered by a live body there; over the telephone.

I left a request via their "contact" system, but...

Pennzoil
11-04-2013, 09:05 AM
I don't suppose anyone has a contact # for Raven? I have a couple of questions I would like answered by a live body there; over the telephone.

I left a request via their "contact" system, but...

Tom's number was 440-465-7111 but I haven't called in awhile so not sure if its still active.

Byron
11-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Indeed. It's definitely a tricky aspect of WML compatible holsters:
Lodi Police Officer Shot When Child Pulled Trigger On His Gun At Reading Event (http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/09/02/lodi-police-officer-shot-when-child-pulled-trigger-on-his-gun-at-reading-event/)

Police say because the gun was in a holster to accommodate the attached flashlight, the trigger was more accessible.

As you say, the model of light (particularly its width relative to the rest of the pistol) makes a huge difference in the equation.

With that said, I notice in the previously linked thread that Tom thought your holster might be out-of-spec, Pennzoil, and wanted to replace it. Was the replacement better?

Tom Fineis is a member here. He has phone contact info in his sig/profile: http://pistol-forum.com/member.php?50-Tom-Fineis&tab=aboutme#aboutme

Tamara
11-04-2013, 10:16 AM

Yup. I don't have a problem with mine, but different people are going to have different comfort levels with gear and carry methods. I can dig that.

Pennzoil
11-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Yes the holster was replaced and RCS had top notch communication and customer service. If I remember right it they replaced it promptly around when they had the big rush from the Magpul videos.

I agree that this is a common problem with WML holsters but some kydex melters do an excellent job minimizing this while just making a better holster.

LSP972
11-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Tom's number was 440-465-7111 but I haven't called in awhile so not sure if its still active.

That # is still good; I left a message.

Many thanks.

KevinB
11-05-2013, 02:53 PM
I wear mine IWB -- I hate having a gun hang out when I sit down...

I got started with Raven years ago (2007?) at a Ken Hackathorn and LAV class - they made holsters on site -- got about 7 or 8 of them for various guns.
I've still got two of the 1911 holsters from then, but my M&P addition is more recent.

They have a new holster coming out soon - Tom had it at Modern Day Marine, and I'm hoping it will be out before SHOT.

Tamara
11-05-2013, 02:56 PM
I got started with Raven years ago (2007?) at a Ken Hackathorn and LAV class - they made holsters on site --

I really miss when they'd set up their shop at the big Indy 1500 show here in town. I'm still kicking myself for not taking better advantage of that opportunity than I did.

LSP972
11-05-2013, 07:56 PM
I just ordered one for the boy. I really do NOT like this on-line ordering gig, but there was no other choice offered. I set up a credit card with a low limit just for that purpose. My young'uns tell me this is the 'wave of the future', and many smaller companies are going to it exclusively… so I suppose I had better get used to it.

JV_
11-08-2013, 01:08 PM
CC Fraud Split:
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?10202-CC-Fraud-Split

EVP
11-08-2013, 02:21 PM
I think Raven makes a quality holster, but I think there are many makers that can make a quality kydex holster. Personally the Raven Phantom did not fit me. It did not have enough curve for my body. If you are a bigger guy then it might fit you better. I know Raven can put the "skinny guy" bend in it if you request. I dont think that option is available for quick ship holsters.

LSP972
11-10-2013, 08:30 AM
I have it in my hands. I agree, I'm not that enthusiastic re the design/fit, but the execution is quality and it holds (and releases) the pistol properly, so I have no complaints. If my grandson doesn't like it, he can do his own experimenting, but he will give it an honest try in the class.

Thanks again to all who responded.

frozentundra
02-22-2014, 10:00 PM
I received a Phantom for my m&p today. This holster is TIGHT. After about 150 presentations it doesn't seem to be breaking in. Do these holsters take a long time to "polish up", or did I just get a super tight one? I see good bit of kydex material is collecting on my pistol and in the holster.

I like everything else about it.

Up1911Fan
02-22-2014, 11:39 PM
Raven makes good gear. I've owned a few but have settled on JM Custom. I have his regular OWB for my G19 and a version 2 for my 17 will be here Monday.

Wendell
02-23-2014, 10:38 AM
I received a Phantom for my m&p today. This holster is TIGHT. After about 150 presentations it doesn't seem to be breaking in. Do these holsters take a long time to "polish up", or did I just get a super tight one? I see good bit of kydex material is collecting on my pistol and in the holster. I like everything else about it.

Try a shot of silicone spray.

LSP972
02-23-2014, 10:43 AM
I received a Phantom for my m&p today. This holster is TIGHT. .

So was the one I got for my grandson. Taking the advice of another member here, I taped the gun (Beretta 92) with blue painter's tape at all contact points, inserted it fully in the holster, and spent a bit of time going over the holster with a heat gun on "medium"; IOW, enough to get it quite warm to the touch, but not uncomfortably hot. After letting the arrangement cool completely (keeping the pistol in the holster), the tape was removed and it now fits like it should.

The trick here is enough heat. I doubt that your standard issue hair dryer is going to generate enough heat. I used a heat gun designed for shrinking plastic film on radio control model airplanes. It gets much hotter than a hair dryer, but not to the levels of an industrial heat gun.

Anyway, that's what I did. I was not particularly impressed with this holster, when all was said and done. It did what I needed it to do for my grandson, and we will keep it with the pistol… but there are other designs/makers out there I will most certainly patronize first next time I need a holster.

Casual Friday
02-23-2014, 12:03 PM
I've never had a Raven that wasn't too tight or borderline too tight. I've had to heat up and slightly rework every single one I've owned. I'm sure their molds take a beating and get used over and over, so I assume they become undersized over time. Then again, I think I've had to rework every kydex holster I've used from other makers as well. Since Raven doesn't have a mold for the Sig Pro 2022 with the flat picatinny rail, last weekend I reworked a P30 Raven holster that I had laying around. Reworking kydex to that extent is a major pain in the kittens.

LSP972
02-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Then again, I think I've had to rework every kydex holster I've used from other makers as well.

I'm a fairly recent convert from leather, so I haven't owned that many kydex holsters; but this was the first one I had to "work on" before it would function as advertised.

Still, it wasn't any huge, onerous task. But I can see that what you did would be.

What do you use for heat?

Casual Friday
02-25-2014, 07:50 AM
I'm a fairly recent convert from leather, so I haven't owned that many kydex holsters; but this was the first one I had to "work on" before it would function as advertised.

Still, it wasn't any huge, onerous task. But I can see that what you did would be.

What do you use for heat?

Well, in the past I've used my wife's hair dryer(s) but you'll need to pack a lunch for it takes forever to heat up kydex enough to remold it with a hair dryer. AND, you'll likely burn up the hair dryer in the process. I just kept convincing her that she was buying cheap chicom hair dryers. To remold the P30 holster for my Sig Pro, I borrowed a real honest to goodness heat gun and it worked like a champ.

SAWBONES
02-25-2014, 08:25 PM
I've had a couple Raven Phantom holsters, both of them for Glocks.

In their current OWB configurations, irrespective of whether one prefers their standard posteriorly-placed standard loops or laterally-positioned "wing" loops, all of them place the center of gravity of the gun needlessly high, due to the unnecessarily-low position of the loops on the holster.

Kydex loops whose inner-upper surfaces lie at the level of the top margin of the holster rather than below it are available from other makers (e.g., JM Kydex), and these rigs IME are at least equally well made as the Raven products, while offering a more comfortable and concealable rig for those who prefer an OWB mode of carry.

Cheap Shot
02-25-2014, 08:55 PM
So was the one I got for my grandson. Taking the advice of another member here, I taped the gun (Beretta 92) with blue painter's tape at all contact points, inserted it fully in the holster, and spent a bit of time going over the holster with a heat gun on "medium"; IOW, enough to get it quite warm to the touch, but not uncomfortably hot. After letting the arrangement cool completely (keeping the pistol in the holster), the tape was removed and it now fits like it should.

The trick here is enough heat. I doubt that your standard issue hair dryer is going to generate enough heat. I used a heat gun designed for shrinking plastic film on radio control model airplanes. It gets much hotter than a hair dryer, but not to the levels of an industrial heat gun.

Anyway, that's what I did. I was not particularly impressed with this holster, when all was said and done. It did what I needed it to do for my grandson, and we will keep it with the pistol… but there are other designs/makers out there I will most certainly patronize first next time I need a holster.

Thank you. I may try that heat gun trick, or I may just send it back. I bought one a few months ago and its still excessively tight.

TheTrevor
02-25-2014, 10:19 PM
The other useful trick is to put a damp (not wet) towel over any areas of the Kydex you don't want to reshape. Acts as both shield and heat sink. It's especially important to keep the trigger guard impressions and tension screw flat areas from getting distorted as this can make the holster unreliable in retention or even unsafe if you really overdo it.

Rich
02-26-2014, 12:29 PM
I've had a few of them and I was never happy with the retention, and it's not easily adjusted. I sold all of them and will not buy another.

Yes, it's curved a bit. Body shapes vary too much to say it will conform to your grandson's.
The loops are on the edges.

My first choice is a Safariland ALS.

I prefer the fold over kydex holsters. for OWB,IWB.AIWB.

The retention is always good and can be adjusted.

Rich
02-26-2014, 12:42 PM

Didn't know that could be a issue with some WMLH ? Good to know!

My JM V3 P30S TLR-1 is fine! Maybe the fold over IWB-L don't have that problem?

TR675
02-27-2014, 10:46 AM
In their current OWB configurations, irrespective of whether one prefers their standard posteriorly-placed standard loops or laterally-positioned "wing" loops, all of them place the center of gravity of the gun needlessly high, due to the unnecessarily-low position of the loops on the holster.

I agree. They're also just too...bulky. I like the Ravens for range day games but never use them for concealed carry.

Tom Fineis
02-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Hey guys, I was browsing forums and noticed this thread was bumped. I figured it was worth updating some info.

First, I stepped down from RCS effective Dec31 2013. I may still do some pro-staff work for them in the future, but I am not an active part of their day to day operations any more. (IE, don't expect customer support via PM ;)).

Second, I don't think RCS is using the phone number linked here. The best contact number for the office is (440) 508-9000. However, email works fine too. RCS actually answers them (crazy concept, I know).

Hope that helps.

acaixguard
03-11-2014, 08:36 PM

Raven offers an option called "drop loops". This addresses the exact issue you talk about, dropping the ride height by about 3/4". With the drop loops, the top of the holster wings will be level with the top edge of the belt. I have this setup with all my RCS holsters.

For some reason, the drop loops are not listed as an option on their site. Simply select the standard loops, and during the checkout process, state that you want the drop loops instead of the standard loops in the comment box.

Mr. Goodtimes
03-12-2014, 11:18 AM
this is great to know, I ordered a Phantom and my biggest beef with it is that it's "floppy." It rides way to high for my taste and when I walk I can feel my G19 flopping around on my belt.

JSGlock34
05-05-2014, 07:44 PM
I've been using the Raven Phantom with a variety of pistols since 2010. Raven's popularity meant some of the first holsters I ordered took nearly five months to arrive. More recently, Raven has expanded its 'Quick-Ship' list, and standard configuration holsters for many pistols now ship within a week, a huge improvement. I've had Quick-Ship products ship the day after I ordered. But Quick-Ship holsters aren't the only thing that has speeded up - last month I purchased a Walther PPQ, and placed an order for a Raven Phantom on April 17th. Though the PPQ is not on the Quick-Ship list and required a custom order, with a quoted 4-6 week turnaround time, I received the holster today (under three weeks to my door). RCS has definitely cut down on ordering times - I'm pretty pleased.