PDA

View Full Version : AAR – Basic Carbine Operations by Milwaukee COPS and 10-32 Solutions

dustyvarmint
10-31-2013, 07:03 PM
The following is my AAR from a recent Basic Carbine Operations’ course held by Milwaukee Community Outreach Partners (COPS) and 10-32 Solutions. I'm more used to doing outfitter hunting reports, so I just modified the format a bit for this.

1) Provider: Partnership between Milwaukee Community Outreach Partners (COPS), LLC and 10-32 Solutions

2) Owner: Kevin Eyre and Chad Halvorson, respectively.

3) Phone: 414-379-4280; 608-561-1032, respectively.

4) E-mail: kevin@milwaukeecops.com, info@10-32solutions.com, respectively.

5) When: October 26, 2013

6) Where: Racine County Line Rifle Club, Racine, WI

7) Accommodations: N/A

8) Gear used: Sling Dynamics Convert 2-1- point sling, DPMS Oracle 5.56 rifle, UTG Circle-Dot optic, Mako 5.56 magazine pouch, shooter produced reloads.

9) Cost: $100 for RCLRC members, $175 for non-members. Range fees included.

10) Did weather adversely affect training: No

11) Instructor’s Competence: Instructors’ skills and ability to apply them greatly exceeded my own, of course.

12) Instructors’ Ethics: Excellent

13) Safely Conducted: Yes

14) Condition of Equipment: Excellent

15) Food: N/A

16) Number of overall firearms’ related training classes for myself: 4

17) Certificate awarded: Yes

18) Training time: 8 hours

19) Written training plan: Yes Followed: Yes

20) Instructor to student ratio: 2/16 with 1 assistant instructor/range helper

21) Round count: 250, actually used 209

22) Recommended: Highly

23) General comments: First, I think it is important to understand my mindset for the AR and this class. This class, for me, was a recreational shooting opportunity (a fun one). That is different than someone who makes a living using a carbine or someone preparing for chaos with a carbine. I was looking for a basic manipulation class relevant to an everyday, ordinary citizen without a lot of tactics thrown in. The course hit the subjects I wanted, spot on! It was local and the cost was very reasonable.

There were two of us without chest or vest rigs. An emergency magazine on the belt plus more in a cargo or back pocket worked fine for refreshing the belt. The DPMS Oracle performed well with no stoppages or malfunctions. The UTG circle-dot optic performed well, may have convinced me that red-dots are the way to go and that an upgrade is probably needed. I’ll be re-running many of the drills, again, with irons to decide. All other equipment performed well. Twenty-two long rifles were allowed.

Subjects covered or drilled included a 50 yard zero, sight off-set, loaded-chamber reload, emergency reload, failure drill, use of sling, stance, grip, non-standard response, non-diagnostic malfunction clearing, transiting safely, and more. Chad covered hammers and double-taps together which was good for me, because no matter how many times I read Tactical Pistol Shooting I still didn’t get it. Now I do.

Both instructors are LEOs. I wasn’t sure what to expect in the learning environment from instructors or students as this was my first hands-on shooting class without a female instructor. I sat through many, many active duty Navy Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection classes where every male instructor knew how to do everything exactly right which was the exact opposite of the other instructor. While Kevin and Chad presented their preferred ways of doing something, neither scoffed at the other’s technique nor did I hear such from students, either.

Notice: I met Kevin Eyre through shooting USPSA. Since both of us are Navy veterans who worked in logistics we have remained in contact. I had not known Chad before this class.

I'm the one that looks like I'm taking a dump in my trousers... :D

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1005378_10201618332593512_713552611_n.jpg