PDA

View Full Version : Safariland duty holster choices

secondstoryguy
10-30-2013, 12:54 AM
Hello all. My new department is authorized to carry both the 6390 and 6360 holsters(one has just the ALS locking button and the other has the locking button and the old 6280 style SLS rotating hood). Which do you guys prefer for duty use?

wilco423
10-30-2013, 03:45 AM
We use 6360s on duty, and have been running them for about 4 years. We haven't had any attempted gun grabs with them, but have been pretty happy with them. Running mine bail down shaves about .25 sec off my draw, but I prefer the additional security of the SLS hood on patrol. A few guys run the 6390 for SWAT, and they're pretty secure.

KeeFus
10-30-2013, 04:36 AM
6360. We've had them for 2 years and had no issues. Hands down it's the best duty holster I've ever worn.

JBP55
10-30-2013, 04:41 AM
The level 3 Raptor 6070 is very popular in this area as a duty holster.

jlw
10-30-2013, 07:23 AM
We issue the 6360 to personnel who don't express a preference in holster. I personally carry in a 6320/6390.

MD7305
10-30-2013, 08:21 AM
I really like the 6360. We switched to it from the 070 and it's a world of difference in speed and it's much easier to re-engage the retention devices when reholstered. I've never personally used a 6390 as our dept prefers level III retention.

Chuck Haggard
10-30-2013, 08:31 AM
I use the 6365 on duty *same as 6360 but rides a bit lower) and the 6377 when I do the admin/go to class/teach class polo shirt and 5.11 pants type thing. The 6377 is also my go to the woods holster when I am scouting before deer season, etc.

I have a serious hate for BAE corporate politics due to having had to deal with them over issues with out body armor, but I am forced to say that Safariland completely owns the police duty holster market. Not other company even comes close to making holsters that are fast, secure and durable.

The 6360 is the most secure and fastest duty holster ever built for uniform patrol. On the side I work a lot with weapon retention class. In simulations, as the bad guy, I have found the 6360 series extremely difficult to do a gun grab from. I'll go so far as to say it's the most gun grab secure holster I have ever seen.

If gun grabs are a threat for you (and if you are in uniform they are), the choice is easy. That said, the straight ALS model holsters are so fast on the draw that they mimic a zero retention open top kydex holster, while still providing some level of gun grab defense.

jlw
10-30-2013, 10:33 AM
We issue the 6360 to personnel who don't express a preference in holster. I personally carry in a 6320/6390.

Correction: the 6377 is what I normally use.

secondstoryguy
10-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I already have both the 6390 and the 6360 and I'm having trouble deciding between the two. I'm leaning towards the 6390 as it's very fast and seems to be secure enough to not make me that nervous. Also, having used the 6280 series on the street it seems the ALS system is about the same level of retention and I never felt that the 6280 was unsafe from a gun grab standpoint. Please feel free to enlighten me if you disagree.

KeeFus
10-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I already have both the 6390 and the 6360 and I'm having trouble deciding between the two. I'm leaning towards the 6390 as it's very fast and seems to be secure enough to not make me that nervous. Also, having used the 6280 series on the street it seems the ALS system is about the same level of retention and I never felt that the 6280 was unsafe from a gun grab standpoint. Please feel free to enlighten me if you disagree.

Honestly, if you are working patrol I'd go with the 6360 or 6365. The retention level on that holster system is the best I've worn. It's crazy fast and very secure. I don't think there is anything wrong with the 6390 I just like more retention.

I have worn the 070, the Raptor, and some contraption made by G&G (I think it was the K320) that was without a doubt the worst holster I have ever laid a gun in. The 070 is still a good holster but I think there are better options now available.

I liked the Raptor but the middle finger release was, at times, hard to hit 100% of the time. I ended up having to score the middle finger latch to get myself comfortable with using the holster for duty. Otherwise it was a good holster.

You just have to decide if you what level of retention you are comfortable with. According to Safariland, the 6280 (http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6280) you mentioned is a Level II retention holster. The 6390 (http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6390) is a Level I.

jlw
10-30-2013, 02:07 PM
The 070 is still a good holster but I think there are better options now available.

I carried the 070 on duty for 10 years. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't distribute the weight of the pistol well, and thus it just hangs there like a brick off of the belt.

KevH
10-30-2013, 03:10 PM
My holster saga has gone something like this...

070 >
6280 (no light) >
6270 (Raptor Level II) >
6280 (with light) >
6360 (ALS) >

None have been bad. The 070 is still a good holster, but is very slow to re-holster. I liked the Raptor (although it's now discontinued) and would prefer it if I carried a Glock again with no WML (highly unlikely).

Carrying a 1911 I can tell you that the ALS over complicates things a bit and I BY FAR prefer the 6280 and don't see myself changing from it any time soon.

Yes, the ALS is more secure if you're having to fight with someone. There is no doubt about that. The shortcomings are that drawing with your off-hand is a major pain in the butt no matter how much you practice it and I've seen more than a few small handed female cops who have a hard time getting a good grip and drawing actuating the button at the same time. Another shortcoming is that it is a mechanical device and they can (although unlikely) fail. There isn't much to go wrong with the 6280.

Chuck Haggard
10-30-2013, 06:24 PM
I have found, in doing gun grabs in training, that the 6280 is much easier to get a gun out of in a struggle than the 6390 or any of the other ALS holsters.

Lon
10-30-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm a fan of adding the 6006 ALS Guard to the standard 6395. Makes it a level 2. For me, the ergonomics of the hood just don't work very well. The 6006 gives added protection to the button but is more ergonomic for a faster draw.

ST911
10-30-2013, 07:01 PM
I switched from a 6280 to a 6390 with the ALS guard, and it's now standard issue. Circumferentially-enhanced officers don't have to close their hoods all the time, I don't have to replace them when they break, the holster is fast, and the retention is good.

secondstoryguy
10-30-2013, 09:42 PM
It's weird that 6280 is a level 2 holster. I find it hard to believe that it's that much safer than a 6390. I guess you do have to push the hood down and forward instead of just pushing a button but it seems like they are splitting hairs.

Chuck Haggard
10-30-2013, 11:16 PM
It's weird that 6280 is a level 2 holster. I find it hard to believe that it's that much safer than a 6390.

In my experience it's not. The 6280 is far more likely to come undone without the shooter knowing it, say in a ground fight, and dump the gun on the deck.

rathos
10-30-2013, 11:39 PM
They consider it a level 2 due to the friction as when properly set the gun should not fall out when tipped upside down, but still be loose enough to draw with. Then you add the hood and its two levels. The 6390 only has the lock. But as others have said the ALS versions seem to hold up better to gun grabs, especially in the DT I have done and in actual cases on the street.

It's weird that 6280 is a level 2 holster. I find it hard to believe that it's that much safer than a 6390. I guess you do have to push the hood down and forward instead of just pushing a button but it seems like they are splitting hairs.

Chuck Whitlock
10-31-2013, 05:03 AM
In my experience it's not. The 6280 is far more likely to come undone without the shooter knowing it, say in a ground fight, and dump the gun on the deck.

My experience mirrors this. Several times found the hood rotated down just getting out of the car, especially with a winter coat on. Adding the hood sentry fixed the issue, but added far too much time and complication to the draw.

I'm a fan of adding the 6006 ALS Guard to the standard 6395. Makes it a level 2. For me, the ergonomics of the hood just don't work very well. The 6006 gives added protection to the button but is more ergonomic for a faster draw.

+1!
Or the 6377/8/9. I find that, if you hit the 6360 hood correctly, the draw stroke is exactly the same as a straight ALS holster with the ALS guard.
I also like that the drawstroke is exactly the same whether you are running a WML or not.

With practice I could use the 070 very well, but not the Raptor, due to having short digits.

secondstoryguy
10-31-2013, 06:39 AM
For those of you who have used a 6360, do you always rotate the hood forward when you reholster? When walking in to higher threat situations do you ever rotate the hood forward (prep it) to speed access to your sidearm?

KeeFus
10-31-2013, 06:58 AM
For those of you who have used a 6360, do you always rotate the hood forward when you reholster? When walking in to higher threat situations do you ever rotate the hood forward (prep it) to speed access to your sidearm?

YEAP.

secondstoryguy
10-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks again for ya'lls(yea, I'm a Texan) input. I meant to say rotate the hood into the retention position when reholstering. I was imagining a situation where you had an higher-risk individual at gunpoint, proned him out, put the gun in holster without rolling the SLS back(the ALS will retain it), cuffed him and then roll the SLS hood back into place after everything is under control. My worry would be that muscle memory during draws would get confused if you didn't have the SLS hood in place and that you should always roll the hood back into place during reholster to make the draw the same every time...

Chuck Haggard
10-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks again for ya'lls(yea, I'm a Texan) input. I meant to say rotate the hood into the retention position when reholstering. I was imagining a situation where you had an higher-risk individual at gunpoint, proned him out, put the gun in holster without rolling the SLS back(the ALS will retain it), cuffed him and then roll the SLS hood back into place after everything is under control. My worry would be that muscle memory during draws would get confused if you didn't have the SLS hood in place and that you should always roll the hood back into place during reholster to make the draw the same every time...

Yes, secure the hood.

I have found people can do "this, or this", and that when you add an extra choice things get kittened up in a hurry.

My rule on our range is pistol is in your hand or locked in the holster. Period.

Chuck Whitlock
11-01-2013, 12:31 AM

Disengaging a security device just gives the bad guy that much more of a chance at a disarm. If you are properly trained and practiced, you lose no speed on the draw from fully secured.
Seriously, the hood rotates forward as you acquire your grip.

wilco423
11-01-2013, 01:45 PM

I generally establish a grip and drop the hood when approaching a vehicle on a traffic stop, and some other situations with an ambush potential. I find that the hood being down, when I'm not expecting it to be down, causes a hiccup in my draw. I haven't tried it on a timer, but I don't think it's very significant. But I do notice it, and it throws me off a little. So if my hand isn't on the gun, I rotate the hood up.

Chuck Whitlock
11-02-2013, 12:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNSn19NnxLI

Here is a good tutorial at ~ 1:15 mark.

saints75
11-03-2013, 10:00 PM
You cannot go wrong with the ALS holster 6360. It keeps your weapon secure and you can drew it fast when you need to. I have used different Safariland holsters and the 6360 is the best holster out there IMO.