PDA

View Full Version : Q: Hanging 3D Action Targets w/balloons?

dustyvarmint
10-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Didn't know where else to put this.

I helped with a course yesterday where the 3D Action Targets were used hanging from a frame suspended with balloons held by a string.

http://store.actiontarget.com/3d-target.html

Reset time for each scenario was very lengthy due to the balloon/string set up. One scenario had 9 targets, some with head/body balloons.

Does anyone have a fast connector to set these up like this? Or other ideas?

happy shooting, dv

LOKNLOD
10-28-2013, 07:43 AM
How about something like these? Seals the balloon and attaches to the string at the same time.
hyperlink (http://www.partycity.com/product/plastic+balloon+clips+144ct.do)

Dave J
10-28-2013, 09:25 AM
I spent a couple of years running all the close combat live fire exercises at one of the Army's major training centers, and used a lot of balloon droppers during that time.

A big time saver is to have the balloons blown up in advance and stored in large trash bags. Also, if you tie a bowline or other non-closing loop in the end of the cord, you can girth hitch it to the balloon, so you don't have to re-tie the knot each time, unless the cord gets shot. Both of those tricks combined really speeds up the target reset process.

I have a 5-gallon portable air tank that I'd usually throw in the truck if i was running a lot of iterations on an objective -- with that, and a blow gun, I could inflate the balloons easily, without annoying compressor noise.

I never tried the little clips, but they seem like a good idea too.

Dave J
10-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Disregard...started to say something else, then realized it didn't make sense :)

dustyvarmint
10-28-2013, 11:37 AM
I spent a couple of years running all the close combat live fire exercises at one of the Army's major training centers, and used a lot of balloon droppers during that time.

A big time saver is to have the balloons blown up in advance and stored in large trash bags. Also, if you tie a bowline or other non-closing loop in the end of the cord, you can girth hitch it to the balloon, so you don't have to re-tie the knot each time, unless the cord gets shot. Both of those tricks combined really speeds up the target reset process.

I have a 5-gallon portable air tank that I'd usually throw in the truck if i was running a lot of iterations on an objective -- with that, and a blow gun, I could inflate the balloons easily, without annoying compressor noise.

I never tried the little clips, but they seem like a good idea too.

I think you had commented about this target system not being the same as what you used - the instructor used the targets as I think you indicated versus what the website shows. We tied up the balloon, put the string and balloon in the target cavity, pulled it up through the top and then hung the target. We did use slip-knots with surveyor's line, but our old fingers and old eyesite made that difficult. What you made me think of is using larger diameter line with a bowline or other knot so we can work with it.

Those clips LOKNLOD suggested also seem like a good idea, also.

BTW, seeing a police officer engage a double-hung head & body rigged target with 2 "failure" attempts, one non-standard response (NSR) and THEN a full-auto engagement makes me laugh like a little kid again...:D:D

happy shooting, dv

feudist
10-28-2013, 12:17 PM
I've used homemade versions quite a bit. They do provide graphic lessons in shooter's reactions to "Failure to Stop"

The tendency for most shooters is to go cyclic, with predictable...adverse results.

But they adjust quickly.

Definitely time consuming but very beneficial, much like shoot/no-shoot targets.

Worth working in to training periodically.

Jay Cunningham
10-28-2013, 07:44 PM
A little prep time goes a long way. One of my AIs made up thin steel cables with crimped dual-strand sections representing head, torso, and pelvis. We have students help blow up balloons in a quick 10 minute session. Reseting goes a lot quicker, but we always use AIs so students are occupied with drills while resetting the 3D targets.

dustyvarmint
10-28-2013, 08:24 PM
A little prep time goes a long way. One of my AIs made up thin steel cables with crimped dual-strand sections representing head, torso, and pelvis. We have students help blow up balloons in a quick 10 minute session. Reseting goes a lot quicker, but we always use AIs so students are occupied with drills while resetting the 3D targets.

Trying to envision the apparatus. What do you use to attach the balloon to the cable? I like the idea of a pre-made, on hand item.

Happy shooting, dv

Jay Cunningham
10-29-2013, 03:46 AM
If you keep the dual strands crimped tight enough and short enough, you can simply insert the tied-off open end of the balloon in there and it will hold it.