PDA

View Full Version : First foray into Shotguns

tremiles
10-27-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm looking for my first shotgun and as I don't know what I don't know, I have some questions. I don't particularly have a use in my mind for it yet. I'm a right handed shooter so the thumb safety of the Mossbergs vs. the trigger guard of the 870 isn't a MUST have. Based on the pump gun durability thread, I've got it in my head that I should stick with a P model 870 vs. an Express (if I go with an 870). So far I've been looking at 2 870's on Bud's.

870p, rifle sighted, Speedfeed stock/ fore end, no mag tube extension. $610

870p, rifle sighted, SF stock/fore end, 2rd mag tube extension. $647

Is there any reason not to get rifle sights vs. a bead?

Am I going to rip off the factory mag tube extension and put an aftermarket extension anyway or is the Rem extension a quality piece on the P series guns?

What other makes/models should I be looking at?

I don't have a budget in mind for a quality gun. I prefer something with parts availability akin to Glock. If I need to upgrade/service, I'd prefer not to send it out, but I don't have a mill either.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Pennzoil
10-27-2013, 04:10 PM
I don't have a budget in mind for a quality gun. I prefer something with parts availability akin to Glock. If I need to upgrade/service, I'd prefer not to send it out, but I don't have a mill either.

I would avoid the Remington 870 then because the ejector requires a gunsmith to replace. I've broken at least 1 that I can remember in a 870p.

tremiles
10-27-2013, 04:27 PM
I would avoid the Remington 870 then because the ejector requires a gunsmith to replace. I've broken at least 1 that I can remember in a 870p.

I looked into that briefly. I've got access to a drill press, so drilling/replacing rivets isn't necessarily a no go.

Chuck Whitlock
10-27-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm looking for my first shotgun and as I don't know what I don't know, I have some questions. I don't particularly have a use in my mind for it yet.

That you don't have a use in mind leaves us with generalities.
I will say that, irrespective of the safety placement, I prefer the position of the action release on the Mossberg to the Remington....you don't have to shift your hand to the front of the trigger guard. The Mossberg's lifter design lets any rounds that slip by the shell stops to just drop out of the gun, and it has dual extractors. Pistol grip stocks are not very compatible with reaching the tang safety on the Mossberg, though.

Chuck Haggard
10-27-2013, 04:44 PM
This starts to become a matter of personal preference when dealing with Mossberg 590 vs Remington 870

You could easily buy a 590 with a 20" barrel, have a seven shot tube already on the gun, and ghost ring sights from the factory, and not need to do anything else except maybe mount a light or a sling if you wanted.

John Hearne
10-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Nothing wrong with the factory rifle sights. Trijicon makes replacements or them that are bug block pistol sights and very fast while still allowing for precision with slugs.

Chuck Whitlock
10-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Forgot to say....I'm not a big fan of the factory Remington +2 extension. The barrel clamp can push it off-axis. I removed it from my work 870 for this reason.
I also don't care for that much weight out front.....I prefer either the standard mag tube or a +1 extension that does not clamp to the barrel for support.

Tom Givens
10-27-2013, 06:14 PM
+1 on the one shot magazine extension. All of my 870's now have these.

tremiles
10-27-2013, 07:37 PM
I like that the 590a1 is roughly $100 less than a similarly equipped 870p. It will probably serve as an alternate HD option, so I'll likely put a light and a sling on it.

WDW
10-27-2013, 09:05 PM
In your price range, I'm a huge fan of the Mossberg 590A1. It is a tough, purpose built gun. I can't tell you how many cases of range ammo & 00 I've put through mine. They're also drilled/tapped from the factory making optics mounting easy (not that some 870's aren't also equally set up). I also like the metal follower & 1 piece mag tube. The choke is also fixed IC, one less thing to worry about coming loose on a fighting gun.

GJM
10-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Has anyone seen a Mossberg with an action that can be slicked up like an 870?

Chuck Haggard
10-27-2013, 11:41 PM

Sure. You just run the action a couple of thousand times and they slick right up.

PS; Yes, I think I'm being funny, but they do get rather smooth after you run the action a couple thousand times.

Corlissimo
10-28-2013, 04:00 AM
Sure. You just run the action a couple of thousand times and they slick right up.

PS; Yes, I think I'm being funny, but they do get rather smooth after you run the action a couple thousand times.

+1
Although my 590A1 got noticeably another after just over 600 rounds so maybe "slicking up" your 590'a action won't be that expensive. :)

Typos brought to you by my DROID... and my apathy.

peterb
10-28-2013, 04:05 AM

I've "slicked up" a couple of 500s. Just getting rid of the obvious burrs and rough bits on the stamped parts makes a difference.

jlw
10-28-2013, 07:27 AM
I recently had need to issue myself a new Remmy 870P Magpul edition. The big dot front sight on the ghost rings is easy to see, but I had not foreseen that it would cover so much of the target at 50 yards. I simply didn't think about it.

Just offering the above for informational purposes and as a reminder that what seems great up close might have implications further out.

MK11
10-28-2013, 08:38 AM
I've got a 20 inch 590A1 with SpeedFeed stock and ghost rings straight from the shop. Very reliable, I like the stock as a stock (not as an ammo carrier), can take or leave the ghost rings now that I've worked with the bead on other shotguns but I would HIGHLY recommend the 18.5 inch barrel. While it's only 1.5 inch difference, the 20 inch heavy duty barrel is a complete pig in my opinion. I'm trying to locate a shorter replacement barrel with ghost rings and shorter 500 mag tube.