PDA

View Full Version : Instructional DVD film editors- please stop what you are doing.

Tirofijo2001
10-26-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm ten minutes into Frank Proctor's Performance Pistol DVD.

Instead of Frank talking to the camera, the producers filmed him teaching a class.

That's a great format. Except every time Frank says something interesting, the editing cuts away from Frank to a slow motion shot of various students ripping off shots, or a close up of bullets ringing a steel torso (while Franks voice continues, dubbed over the slo mo action shots.).

It's annoying.

Rant off. I have high hopes for the actual content.

PPGMD
10-26-2013, 10:39 AM
IMO the Magpul videos are among the best.

It is like being in a class, the instructors instruct, then demonstrate, and finally you see instructors correcting student issues. All three will reinforce the topic for the student, and is almost as good as real instruction.

John Ralston
10-26-2013, 10:52 AM
IMO the Magpul videos are among the best.

It is like being in a class, the instructors instruct, then demonstrate, and finally you see instructors correcting student issues. All three will reinforce the topic for the student, and is almost as good as real instruction.

Do you have the Precision Rifle DVD? I have their others and they are good and have been contemplating another purchase.

PPGMD
10-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Do you have the Precision Rifle DVD? I have their others and they are good and have been contemplating another purchase.

Sorry just the pair of the carbine videos, and the pistol one. Just bought the ones that were applicable to my common guns.

John Ralston
10-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Double Tap

CCT125US
10-26-2013, 11:32 AM

Yes, it is very well done IMO. Many hours of info.

5pins
10-26-2013, 12:51 PM

I have all of them except the aerial and shotgun. I don’t see myself shooting from a helicopter anytime soon.

I saw the shotgun DVD on youtube, someone uploaded the whole thing, and glade I didn’t get it. I’m also not much of a shotgun person.

Precision rifle was very informative and interesting.

Dan_S
10-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Precision rifle was very informative and interesting.

Who was it taught by?

SeriousStudent
10-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Who was it taught by?

Todd Hodnett of Accuracy 1st.

feudist
10-26-2013, 07:59 PM
When are we getting a AFHF video?

John Ralston
10-27-2013, 09:52 AM
When are we getting a AFHF video?

Agreed...just don't have Frank Proctor's editor work on it (apparently).

Tirofijo2001
10-27-2013, 06:25 PM
just don't have Frank Proctor's editor work on it (apparently).

Don't take my word for it. Take a look at this trailer for the DVD.

https://vimeo.com/61797321

It's a lot of flashy graphics, footage shot from a helicopter (why?), an artsy closeup of some Peltors laying on a truck tailgate, and a lot of fancy cinematography before you get a taste of Frank's instruction. When Frank is on camera, it's usually shot from an 'artsy' angle. From the trailer you don't see how often the director cuts away from Frank to a random student, who may not even be demonstrating anything that has to do with what Frank is saying at that moment.

Strangely, there seems to be more footage of two particular students shooting than of Frank shooting. Or maybe it's not so strange, since I think that the two students that got a lot of screen time were involved in the production of the DVD.

You can rent the DVD on Vimeo for $20 for 30 days. I highly recommend it. The instruction easily outweighs the annoying editing.