PDA

View Full Version : One knife or two?

ToddG
10-26-2013, 09:50 AM
The "edc knife pic" thread got me thinking about this. There seems to be a philosophical difference between folks who carry something like a Clinch Pick as their only, all-purpose knife and folks who carry it solely as a defensive tool (and thus carry a separate knife, usually a folder, for general tasks).

I find myself very firmly in the first camp. Not only is the CP smaller, less obtrusive, and more discreet than a folder in most cases but using it as my everyday cutting tool means I get lots of practice drawing it both right- and left-handed under a variety of conditions. Sure, using it as a utility knife means I have to pay attention to keeping it sharp but that's just a quick task once a week or so.

Why do you carry one? Or two? (or, for the ninjas among us, eleventeen?)

JRCHolsters
10-26-2013, 10:09 AM
I always carry an old beat up Mercator folder for everyday use, even if I am carrying a more "robust" knife. I figure if I loose it, no big deal. I also find it less threatening to take out around people who are not used to seeing knives carried for self defense. All depends on the circles I am traveling in. ;)

Chuck Haggard
10-26-2013, 10:45 AM
For a very long time legally one could not carry a fixed blade here. Even with a badge, which meant I could circumvent state law, the job disallowed fixed blades, so folders were what I carried, and still do.

I normally carry one on each side.

At work I also carry a "rescue" folder that has a window breaker tip on the butt, and a flat tip screwdriver point on the blade, which is partially serrated. This has proven to be a very useful bit 'o kit to have at work.

ST911
10-26-2013, 10:46 AM
I prefer to have a knife that's dedicated to utility oriented tasks in addition to ones for dedicated defensive purposes. Reasons include time management to maintain each type, potential for loss, comparative alarm/annoyance/notice from others when out and about, etc.

BaiHu
10-26-2013, 11:00 AM
I second tpd and JRC. Laws are tough enough, but drawing attention can often cause a ruckus even if you're doing something lawful.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Duces Tecum
10-26-2013, 11:29 AM
In my state, concealed fixed blades are considered naughty, so I carry four folders: two Emerson CQC-7's (wave feature), one clipped to the left pocket, one to the right; a Cold Steel Voyager (3" blade) in RF pocket; a Victorinox "Tinker" also in the RF pocket. The Tinker has occasionally useful tool-etts, the Voyager has a robust cutting blade, the Emersons are reserved for defensive purposes and have never been used.

CCT125US
10-26-2013, 11:39 AM
When I started carrying my ZT 350, I had to clear it with security at several places. After awhile I got to know the head of security, I asked him if he wanted to see my new letter opener. He agreed that it was a fine letter opener and as such violated no on-site regulations.

Totem Polar
10-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Two for me: one for public consumption, and one that, while perfectly legal, is a bit agro in person. The specific tools vary with the passage of time, but that's the core concept. Right now it's big (very) and small (also very) folders, plus the occasional boker/nealy for sport coat days.

LOKNLOD
10-26-2013, 12:16 PM
I always carry my Benchmade Griptilian front right, and multitool in the other pocket.

I'm just starting to get the CP worked into my carry, but I don't see it replacing my folder for general cutting tasks. There is a HUGE difference between whipping out a "normal" folder (even one of the more tactical looking ones) and whipping out a little odd-shaped dagger rig to open a box at the office. Many (if not most) men have some sort of folder, even at the office, and no one thinks anything of it. Nobody carries a fixed-blade though.

In my case, since I carry the multitool with a knife on it as well, I could drop the main folder in place of a CP as long as I don't mind fishing out the multitool for most utility cutting duties.

It may all be a moot point somewhat because in the most restrictive environment I'm in, the office, I don't have a good way to carry the CP yet. Freakin' tucked-in shirts...

JodyH
10-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Clinch-pick and Spyderco Delica
CP is strictly business. It's not very "gray man" to whip out a center line carried, aggressive looking fixed blade to open a box.
The Delica 4 is about the largest folder you can carry while still being able to assert that it's just a utility knife.
If you buy your Delica with colorful handles (baby blue or gray are my favorite because they blend with faded jeans) it looks even less threatening when you're slicing an apple.

ToddG
10-26-2013, 12:46 PM
It's not very "gray man" to whip out a center line carried, aggressive looking fixed blade to open a box.

This must be regional. I "whipped out" a pretty ordinary looking folder at a Caribou Coffee across the street once and they almost called the cops. But a tiny fixed blade that isn't even sharp on the side people expect a knife to be is pretty easy to explain away in my limited experience.

I think it's a lot like the fanny pack. People in the know see it as one thing, but the vast majority of the unwashed masses don't recognize it as a prelude to ninja death.

JodyH
10-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Even in an industrial setting like my work, nobody carries a fixed blade and everybody has a folder.

SeriousStudent
10-26-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm in the dedicated defensive blade camp. The second knife I carry is a very small Leatherman PS4 multiool. They have been discontinued, but you can find them on eBay for about 20 bucks.

Very non-threatening, which fits into the work environment. It's got pliers, screwdrivers, and a very small blade that opens boxes. Even the most ardent Birkenstock wearers don't raise an eyebrow. And I honestly use the pliers and screwdrivers more than the blade. Our security people will check out a full-sized multi-tool, but this thing is invisible on a key chain. And if I lose it or an overzealous person wants it, I'm out a whopping 20 bucks.

Away from work, I add a Benchmade Auto-Axis Presidio folder on the side away from my primary firearm. Clinch Pick always stays at 11:30, but the Auto-Axis can easily be fired with either hand. I busted my right wrist recently, and that's complicated things. Before the injury, I carried a Tarani Kamabit folder. When it's healed, I'll go back to that.

Totem Polar
10-26-2013, 02:55 PM
I've already said my piece, but I figure–much like a good magazine article–this thread needs a pic or two scattered within to break things up.
:cool:

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab79/Sidheguitarist/DWC/ulize_zps79a5109d.jpg (http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Sidheguitarist/media/DWC/ulize_zps79a5109d.jpg.html)

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab79/Sidheguitarist/DWC/civvy_zps55ebd39b.jpg (http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Sidheguitarist/media/DWC/civvy_zps55ebd39b.jpg.html)

LHS
10-26-2013, 03:08 PM
I suck at sharpening knives. This, more than any other reason, is why I carry a dedicated 'defensive' knife, and a utility/GP knife. For years, that was a Benchmade Stryker manual clipped in my pocket for the former, and a factory 2nd Benchmade Bali-Song for the latter. I've had that Bali-Song for almost 20 years, and it's beat to hell, but it works great for opening letters/boxes, cutting ribbon/string, or poking holes in the cover of frozen lunches at work. For whatever reason, the bright finish draws fewer disapproving looks than the rare times I've flicked open the all-black, tanto-pointed Stryker to do something. I can't count how many times I've cut up apples in the office break room with the BS, and nobody bats an eye. Then again, I don't go around flipping it in public either. I open it with two hands, and everyone just thinks it's a pocket knife.

I also tend to carry a leatherman wave on my belt, but I use the knife blades on it maybe once every couple of years. It's basically used as a screwdriver kit and pair of scissors, and occasionally for the nail file.

Now that my CP finally arrived, I'm looking for ways to integrate it into my routine, and perhaps eliminate the Stryker from the rotation.

WDW
10-26-2013, 03:35 PM
I used to carry a custom made fixed blade horizontal at 1130. It's only purpose was use as a weapon. I also carried some manner of folder strong side for general/utility use.

I lost my "stabbin" knife a while back & never got another, so now I just carry some manner of folder, usually a Benchmade because they're completely ambi & have a super strong (axis) lock that I trust not fail under any reasonable conditions.

JHC
10-26-2013, 03:37 PM
I suck at sharpening knives. This, more than any other reason, is why I carry a dedicated 'defensive' knife, and a utility/GP knife. For years, that was a Benchmade Stryker manual clipped in my pocket for the former, and a factory 2nd Benchmade Bali-Song for the latter. I've had that Bali-Song for almost 20 years, and it's beat to hell, but it works great for opening letters/boxes, cutting ribbon/string, or poking holes in the cover of frozen lunches at work. For whatever reason, the bright finish draws fewer disapproving looks than the rare times I've flicked open the all-black, tanto-pointed Stryker to do something. I can't count how many times I've cut up apples in the office break room with the BS, and nobody bats an eye. Then again, I don't go around flipping it in public either. I open it with two hands, and everyone just thinks it's a pocket knife.

I also tend to carry a leatherman wave on my belt, but I use the knife blades on it maybe once every couple of years. It's basically used as a screwdriver kit and pair of scissors, and occasionally for the nail file.

Now that my CP finally arrived, I'm looking for ways to integrate it into my routine, and perhaps eliminate the Stryker from the rotation.

When I sharpen with a stone; the blade gets duller the longer I work. ;)
But the Spyderco sharpening kit with the triangular ceramic rods is the ticket and can put a shaving edge on most of my knifes if the steel and geometry is any good at all. Out of a few dozen knives there is probably no more than two (one being a Carbon V Recon Scout that has a grind like a chisel) that won't shave after the Spyderco kit treatment.

WDW
10-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Don't like sharpening knives? Get a Bark River. All of their knives are convex ground and rarely require sharpening.

Maple Syrup Actual
10-26-2013, 04:38 PM
I have gone to two: Endura and Clinch Pick.

I actually use the Clinch Pick for a lot of little trimming and paring tasks. It's awesome for that kind of stuff and I do tons of it at work because I work with a lot of cabling and wiring stuff. Having it centerline on the belt makes a ton of sense for me because half of my day is in some kind of harness, working midair somewhere.

The Endura is half-serrated and I force it through strands of wire all the time, which is just abuse but they're cheap. I cut ropes with it a lot as well.

Anyway, even if there was no defensive application for either one, my work requirements are such that carrying both makes a ton of sense.

And locally neither one results in a batted eye. Back when I worked big construction projects, I used to carry a Scrapyard Guard which was a 7" blade from one of the Busse guys...and here in my city of 2-3 million, even that didn't cause me much grief. It was on a tool belt with other gear but still, I used to use it constantly and no issues at all.

Compared to that beast, producing a CP or an Endura is like producing a bottle opener or a bic pen.

Spr1
10-26-2013, 04:57 PM
I have carried two Delica's (previously one Endura) since taking Greg Hamilton's/Insights DFK 1 and 2. I use the left one for utility and keep the right one reserved and therefore sharper for other duties as assigned..... I do sharpen them frequently using the Spyderco system.
One tip Greg offered was drawing and opening one handed when alone or with friends, but when in public, when the masses might become frightened, open using two hands as you would with an old fashioned finger nail slot style folder.

ACP230
10-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Generally two, both lockback folders.
Sometimes a smaller lockback in my change pocket, if I have one on the jeans I'm wearing.

The middle-size folder has a second small blade (no lock) and gets used for cutting fishing line, etc.

ST911
10-26-2013, 06:24 PM
One tip Greg offered was drawing and opening one handed when alone or with friends, but when in public, when the masses might become frightened, open using two hands as you would with an old fashioned finger nail slot style folder.

Indeed. Opening it like a SAK has been much more palatable for the sensitive.

EricP
10-26-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm in the two knife camp for all the reasons already stated. Since receiving my Clinch Pick, I have down sized my utility folder which was a Spyderco Manix. The materials manager asked me for a knife to open a box at work. When I opened the Spyderco and handed it to her, she nearly fainted. I can only imagine her reaction to a Clinch Pick.

BoppaBear
10-26-2013, 08:08 PM
I'm currently carrying one folder, weak side front pocket. Nothing overly nice, just a CRKT Hissatsu folder, it's not small, but for a folder, I like the blade for defensive tasks...it's sharp, has a point that will "poke" nicely, and locks up pretty dang solid for a folder.

I'd prefer carrying my Izula II centerline, but NC says fixed blade carry is a no-no.

NOTE: Edited posts brought to you by autocorrect and Tapatalk

Up1911Fan
10-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Two. Folders are a ZT0360 or Mini Griptillian. Fixed blade is an ESEE Izula or Blackhawk Crucible.

Chuck Whitlock
10-27-2013, 12:50 AM
I carried a folder on each side for a long time. Then I admitted to myself that IFWA, especially with the weak hand, was a pipe dream.
I now carry a mostly utility folder clipped in the right front pocket and a TDI on the belt on the left side.

On-duty, the folder is a large Gerber that they bought us, along with a Leatherman Wave on the duty belt. The TDI is underneath the Taser on my left side.
All other times the folder is currently a Spyderco Native, and the TDI is left appendix, covered up by my iPhone.

(Clipped into the left pocket now is the ProTac 2L flashlight.)

Shawn.L
10-27-2013, 07:20 AM
Clinch-pick and Spyderco Delica
CP is strictly business. It's not very "gray man" to whip out a center line carried, aggressive looking fixed blade to open a box.
The Delica 4 is about the largest folder you can carry while still being able to assert that it's just a utility knife.
If you buy your Delica with colorful handles (baby blue or gray are my favorite because they blend with faded jeans) it looks even less threatening when you're slicing an apple.

I think Jody and I are on the same page. Including my blue delica.

I'm certainly not whipping out a clinch pick or the like in mixed company to open a package. It turns heads, draws attention..... esp when you reach just under your shirt and suddenly have a strange fixed blade in your hand. Around here most everyone has carried a folding knife all their lives, its nothing to notice.

PT Doc
10-27-2013, 11:06 AM
I think Jody and I are on the same page. Including my blue delica.

I'm certainly not whipping out a clinch pick or the like in mixed company to open a package. It turns heads, draws attention..... esp when you reach just under your shirt and suddenly have a strange fixed blade in your hand. Around here most everyone has carried a folding knife all their lives, its nothing to notice.

Not to mention that they will want to hold it, and cut themselves, despite your warnings that it is reverse edge.

JodyH
10-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Not to mention that they will want to hold it, and cut themselves, despite your warnings that it is reverse edge.
True dat.

Whiskey_Bravo
10-29-2013, 06:53 AM
I recently acquired one of the sprint run Strider SLCC Wharncliffe small fixed blades that Monkey Edge was selling. This knife is, for me, the perfect backup companion as part of my edc rotation. I carry it at about the 11 O'Clock position IWB. I was using a length of paracord as a dummy line and just tucking it into my waist band, but I just ordered an IWB clip from Raven Concealment and I am planning to modify it for canted AIWB carry of the knife.

This small fixed blade is a comforting back up to my pistol or my EDC folder that is carried in my strong side front pocket. Lately that folder has been a Benchmade Adamas folder. I own much nicer and far more expensive knives, but this blade has just impressed the hell out of me as a work knife.

Chuck Haggard
10-29-2013, 07:09 AM
I'll throw out that I got the idea of carrying a knife on each side, accessible to each hand, being a good idea due to having been trapped in a crashed car when I was 19 years old and having to cut myself out of the seatbelt, while listening to gas dribble out of the ruptured gas tank.

jlw
10-29-2013, 08:06 AM
GA law is convoluted on the matter. State law prohibits local governments from enacting laws related to firearms carry, but until 2010, it had no such provision as to knife carry. State law also didn't address knife carry except for specific situations such as school safety zones, etc.

This left the local governments free to pass ordinances of their own regarding knife carry, and even within the same county the ordinances can vary among the respective municipalities.

In 2010, the legislature included blades of 5" or longer as being covered by the newly dubbed GA Weapons Carry License (GWCL). So, not with a GWCL, you can carry a 5" or longer blade anywhere you can carry a firearm; however, a 3" folder may get you locked up on a misdemeanor.

Ain't government swell.

LittleLebowski
10-29-2013, 08:09 AM
The "edc knife pic" thread got me thinking about this. There seems to be a philosophical difference between folks who carry something like a Clinch Pick as their only, all-purpose knife and folks who carry it solely as a defensive tool (and thus carry a separate knife, usually a folder, for general tasks).

I find myself very firmly in the first camp. Not only is the CP smaller, less obtrusive, and more discreet than a folder in most cases but using it as my everyday cutting tool means I get lots of practice drawing it both right- and left-handed under a variety of conditions. Sure, using it as a utility knife means I have to pay attention to keeping it sharp but that's just a quick task once a week or so.

Why do you carry one? Or two? (or, for the ninjas among us, eleventeen?)

I like folks only seeing my folder when having to open boxes/etc and not my "scary" defensive use fixed blade.

ToddG
10-29-2013, 08:54 AM
I like folks only seeing my folder when having to open boxes/etc and not my "scary" defensive use fixed blade.

So this seems to be the #1 reason most folks have mentioned.

My experience to date has been the opposite. Unless someone knows what a CP is, it's not a "scary defensive use fixed blade." It's a knife. It's got a smaller blade than any folder I own. It doesn't require any action to open so it's far more similar to the knives "ordinary folks" are used to. And because of its size & shape I can often use it while keeping everything from grip to tip concealed in my hand.

I'm not arguing, just providing a different perspective. I don't find tactical folders less tactical/scary than a little whittling knife. :cool:

PT Doc
10-29-2013, 09:20 AM
GA law is convoluted on the matter. State law prohibits local governments from enacting laws related to firearms carry, but until 2010, it had no such provision as to knife carry. State law also didn't address knife carry except for specific situations such as school safety zones, etc.

This left the local governments free to pass ordinances of their own regarding knife carry, and even within the same county the ordinances can vary among the respective municipalities.

In 2010, the legislature included blades of 5" or longer as being covered by the newly dubbed GA Weapons Carry License (GWCL). So, not with a GWCL, you can carry a 5" or longer blade anywhere you can carry a firearm; however, a 3" folder may get you locked up on a misdemeanor.

Ain't government swell.

I don't want to drift this thread, so pm if needed, but where do saps and jacks fall with the GWCL?

LittleLebowski
10-29-2013, 09:25 AM

My experience to date has been the opposite. Unless someone knows what a CP is, it's not a "scary defensive use fixed blade." It's a knife. It's got a smaller blade than any folder I own. It doesn't require any action to open so it's far more similar to the knives "ordinary folks" are used to. And because of its size & shape I can often use it while keeping everything from grip to tip concealed in my hand.

I'm not arguing, just providing a different perspective. I don't find tactical folders less tactical/scary than a little whittling knife. :cool:

I don't always carry tactical folders. Things are huge and sometimes not practical.

jlw
10-29-2013, 09:50 AM
I don't want to drift this thread, so pm if needed, but where do saps and jacks fall with the GWCL?

GA law defines weapons as handguns and knives with blades over 5" long for the purpose of a GWCL but is silent on impact weapons.

The legal result is that local governments are free to pass ordinances against them. So, a person could be wearing a Samurai sword and a pistol and be perfectly legal with a GWCL, but they could go to jail for a blackjack if there was a local ordinance against it.

jlw
10-29-2013, 09:52 AM
As to the question posed in the OP, I carry at least one (often two) folder (tactical/defensive style for lack of better terms) and a "traditional" (small Buck knife with three blades) pocket knife. I use the "traditional" knife for utility purposes.

LOKNLOD
10-29-2013, 11:01 AM

I think its an interesting contextual difference based on the environment we all live in day to day. I cut up an apple with my full size benchmade each day and nobody bats an eye. My office is full of Dockers with pocket clips hanging out, but a CP is "odd" and would definitely draw attention. There are lots of places i'm sure where either option would get you called into the HR office for an unpleasant talk.

Funny story, once upon a time at my old job in the plant, I got questioned about my knife (I was breaking down some boxes for recycling) and was then told it wasn't legal because the blade was too short. :confused: Ironically enough I had recently downsized because I was concerned the big CRKT folder I had been carrying would draw some negative attention since I was frequently using it around people in the plant.

If there's one thing consistent about knives, it's that people are wildly variable in their perception of them.