PDA

View Full Version : Belt carry options for a WML?

Wendell
10-23-2013, 11:09 PM
No weapon-mounted lights unless it is one that can be practically used for both...

This post (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?10001-Flashlight-Poll-So-many-to-choose-from-can-t-list-them-all-but-let-s-try&p=170419&viewfull=1#post170419) in this thread (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?10001-Flashlight-Poll-So-many-to-choose-from-can-t-list-them-all-but-let-s-try) touched on (the lack of) a product I've been seeking for quite a while: a belt-mounted carry option for a Surefire X300 that would protect the switch from inadvertant activation, fit in the same real-estate as a magazine pouch, be secure against loss, and enable quick deployment. The lack of such a carrier is the only practical barrier to having your WML at hand - on your belt - at all times, available for whatever task you face.

At one time, Fobus made something like that for the Insight M3/M3X, but who makes such a thing for the X300?

Savage Hands
10-23-2013, 11:14 PM
I personally wouldn't want my hand so close to the muzzle of a loaded firearm to slide it on. Either I'd carry it in a proper holster already mounted or stick with a handheld light.

Chuck Haggard
10-23-2013, 11:39 PM
I personally wouldn't want my hand so close to the muzzle of a loaded firearm to slide it on. Either I'd carry it in a proper holster already mounted or stick with a handheld light.

^This^

Especially since one might be installing the light on a loaded pistol in the dark under stress. Not a good idea.

Wendell
10-23-2013, 11:54 PM
This (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flashlight-Pouch-Insight-Tech-M3X_Surefire-X300-Right-Hand-15-Belt-Black-Kydex/productinfo/M3PBKR15/) model is close to what I want, except that - because the switch is left exposed - with this model I can foresee accidentally activating the light.

More pics here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=11269079&postcount=65).

KevH
10-24-2013, 12:20 AM
This (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flashlight-Pouch-Insight-Tech-M3X_Surefire-X300-Right-Hand-15-Belt-Black-Kydex/productinfo/M3PBKR15/) model is close to what I want, except that - because the switch is left exposed - with this model I can foresee accidentally activating the light.

More pics here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=11269079&postcount=65).

BAD BAD BAD idea. It's irresponsible that they even make these still.

These stupid things were en vogue back around 2000 for police duty belts. I know of at least one ND locally where dude grazed his hand when he popped a round off putting it on his loaded gun on an alarm call.

If you want a WML then it needs to stay on the gun all the time. Buy a holster like the ones Raven make. Otherwise learn how to use a handheld.

Savage Hands
10-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Not to mention taking it back off when the status of a potential threat changes, like needing to holster to go hands on or going to less lethal means.

Drang
11-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Seems like mounting/dismounting a light to and from a loaded gun would violate the principle that the best way to avoid a negligent discharge is to avoid kittening with a loaded gun.
IOW, the best belt carry is in the holster, attached to the gun. Carry a spare handheld -- or two.

Wendell
01-03-2014, 02:36 AM
To update, I ended up with the Blade-Tech (http://shop.blade-tech.com/light-pouch-x300-p-194.html).

They offer lots of options so you can order it however you want; I have the 1.5" lens-up vertical, and it works great.

hossb7
01-03-2014, 02:08 PM
To update, I ended up with the Blade-Tech (http://shop.blade-tech.com/light-pouch-x300-p-194.html).

They offer lots of options so you can order it however you want; I have the 1.5" lens-up vertical, and it works great.

4 people in 5 posts said this was a bad idea. I'm just curious as to your thought process of using this and why you kept at it considering all the negative attention.

Chipster
01-03-2014, 09:28 PM
4 people in 5 posts said this was a bad idea. I'm just curious as to your thought process of using this and why you kept at it considering all the negative attention.

Well I can't speak for the OP, some departments do not allow weapon mounted lights carried secured to the gun (as dumb as it sounds) so some guys are required to carry it in a pouch. I was one of the idiots that carried one in the pouch when I worked the road back in the early 2000's. Since I did a night shoot last year, my current Chief of Police bought the remaining guys Safariland 6280's that will hold the issued TLR1.

It is dangerous, and the various flashlight techniques are much safer, but the pouch may be some guys only option out there if he wants to have a weapon mounted light. Much, much training will make it safer, not much, but some.

I'd like to see LE mandate weapon mounted lights on all primary handguns AND a hand held light to be carried at all times when on duty!

Wendell
01-03-2014, 10:25 PM

As discussed here (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9552-How-Relevant-is-LE-and-Military-Experience-to-Private-Citizens), it might depend on who you are. Tom Givens has spoken about this, saying (something to the effect) that trainers often see the world with prejudices formed from their experiences (MIL vs. LE vs. competitive).

And I'm not a cop.

GardoneVT
01-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Just getting the gun outta the holster eats up 1.5 odd seconds.I'd hate to be the guy under fire while he's trying to slide a flashlight onto his sidearm rails.......

hossb7
01-03-2014, 11:26 PM
As discussed here (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9552-How-Relevant-is-LE-and-Military-Experience-to-Private-Citizens), it might depend on who you are. Tom Givens has spoken about this, saying (something to the effect) that trainers often see the world with prejudices formed from their experiences (MIL vs. LE vs. competitive).

And I'm not a cop.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around why you'd want to carry a weapon light (detached from the weapon) instead of a dedicated handheld light?

Chuck Haggard
01-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Background doesn't matter. Trying to mount or dismount a WML on a loaded gun in a live scenario is just asking for something very bad to happen.

Fact.

formercharlie4
01-04-2014, 01:43 AM
WML seem to make bad handheld lights and handhelds make bad WMLs. They are designed for a purpose (WM in WML stands for "weapon mounted")

Cookie Monster
01-04-2014, 12:37 PM
I've got no dog in the fight but having concealed carried a G34 with an X300 IWB, that's a lot in your pants.

I can see trying to figure something else out.

Cookie Monster

Chipster
01-04-2014, 01:39 PM
There is no doubt that it's not very safe. Can't argue with that at all. A TLR by Streamlight might be minutely safer than the X300 as I think you can "snap" them on from the side. It wouldn't be very tight but not would be on somewhat. My X300 is pretty hard to slide on to any rail in my experience.

Chuck Haggard
01-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Except for specific mission profiles by plainclothes coppers, I'm not entirely sure why anyone would want to CCW with a WML on their gat.

The CT laser guard light thingy would be pretty easy to deal with as far as concealing, but for me carrying a standard WML on my pistol the juice aint worth the squeeze for off duty carry.

runcible
01-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Belt-mounting a WML turns a potential asset into both a hindrance and a hazard, and disables your ability to move up and down through one's force continuum. Your mileage may vary.

I think many would want to carry concealed a pistol with light for the same reasons as some do that on the clock - bad things can happen in dark places at all times of day. Certainly there are enough pistol-WML options that don't involve two batteries side by side.

Rex G
01-05-2014, 07:50 PM
While I believe it is probably a bad idea to mount/dismount a light on a loaded handgun*, for the reasons already mentioned, I can see this being a desirable option when using a small WML with a long gun. Some long guns can become really bulky with side-mounted WMLs. My 870P can lay along a very narrow place in my Crown Vic, but I must remove the X200 first, for example. This is with a GG&G fore-end, that has a side-mounted rail. (I recently removed the GG&G, as my employer has specified that shotgun lights must be integral, built into the fore-end; I am prpbably about to switch to a Benelli, anyway.)

Even if the light is kept on a long gun's rail, what if a fall or other impact put the WML out of commision? A belt carrier could tote a ready spare light.

Actually, my main interest in this belt carrier is so I can more readily use an X300 for night-time evidentiary photography, if I add a small bracket, and attach a section of rail. I tend to juggle an LX2 at present.

*I confess to having affixed an original X200 to my duty pistol's rail a few times, preceding building searches, back in the day, before abandoning the practice as unsafe.

runcible
01-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Breaking your longarm's weaponlight doesn't seem an eventuality worth preparing for to this degree, or sacrificing beltspace for.

Chuck Whitlock
01-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Actually, my main interest in this belt carrier is so I can more readily use an X300 for night-time evidentiary photography, if I add a small bracket, and attach a section of rail. I tend to juggle an LX2 at present.

If hte intended purpose is not to mount/dismount to your pistol, then rock on.

Rich
01-09-2014, 01:54 PM

I wish Bladetech would offer a IWB-L for the P30

BTW is this for duty use?

I found out that its pretty easy to carry a pistol with a mounted weapons light using a IWB-L holster!

I also carry 2 surefire handhelds.

There are all kinds of custom kydex holster being made , seems everyone is making them.

Wendell
01-11-2014, 10:35 PM
The lens-up Blade-Tech carrier protects the switch from inadvertant activation; tonight I packed a bag (with the x300 in it) and, for the first time ever, I did not have to wonder whether there would be a fire.

Thanks Blade-Tech!

Alaskapopo
01-12-2014, 12:27 AM
^This^

Especially since one might be installing the light on a loaded pistol in the dark under stress. Not a good idea.

Back before getting a dedicated holster this is what I did and I know a lot of cops who still do. Never been an issue just come up under the gun and slide it on don't put your hand in front of the muzzle. The reason I went to a dedicated holster was due to a felony stop I had where I had a suspect at gun point and he walked up on me (no back up on scene yet) and I could not re-holster. I ended up spraying him and pulling him to the ground with my left arm and having to set my pistol down on the ground while I got him cuffed. Never again. For that reason I use a holster designed for the light to be attached.
Pat