PDA

View Full Version : It Is Just So Refreshing...

WDW
05-28-2011, 07:18 AM
To have a firearms forum with so many well trained contributors who posts information based on experience, fact, and reality. On a local TN forum I am on, someone was all giddy about a Ruger 1911 that fired 200 rds without a stoppage and was praising how reliable it was. I chimed in and explained the merits of the 2,000 rd challenge and also shared what Todd said about the 1911 and low rd reliability tests....you would have thought I set up a satanic worship center in the Vatican. "you're stupid" "you don't understand the 1911 with your Glock" One guy even said "I have a $2,700 Nighthawk that won't even do what the Ruger can" I politely said I was sorry he dropped $3K on a pistol that doesn't work. It was like a room full of that one XD guy who just could not let it go. They also said I was stupid for listening to some guy on the internet (Todd), which I thought was strange seeing how they are on the internet as well:confused:

JeffJ
05-28-2011, 07:43 AM
I can't agree more - as a noob I've struggled to sort through all the bullshit - finding Todd's blog and getting on the forum as soon as it started has been refreshing and eye opening. The main thing that I like about this community is that there are some very good shooters who are happy to give quantifiable evidence of their skills. I'm amazed at how many guys out there buy into the idea that IDPA, USPSA, split times on certain drills etc. etc. don't matter because "in a real fight it's all about mindset and getting off the X - have you seen what I can do with an airsoft gun?"

Being a member here has allowed me to discover how far I have to go and has given me some real help in getting there - that has real value, much more than discussing the merits of whatever new fad or product is on the market.

Thanks guys - you're the best

NickA
05-28-2011, 07:49 AM
I really want to make a joke about 200 reliable rounds in a 1911 being good or ask when the Ruger 1911 is being recalled, but I'll just say- you're so right. There's been some pretty vigorous debates that have stayed civil, the SME's know their stuff and those of us who don't know as much seem to do good job of acting accordingly.

JHC
05-28-2011, 08:15 AM
+1 I hope it can stay that way. I think on the topic of the guns themselves if we can consistently praise those guns that run and criticize those that don't without getting butthurt, we can keep this up.

A big for example of this goodness hit me when TLG told this one shooter that if he really dug the P226, get one. My god, saying a good thing about a Sig on many boards would create a shitstorm of condemnation. Yet I know a high volume shooter with a gigantic collection of all sorts of guns including dozens of Sigs including many bought in the last few years. He shoots them a ton and doesn't seem to be burned by horrible quality products.

Pistol Shooter
05-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Well-reasoned respectful debate, comparative analysis, and carefully-considered opinions are great and a pleasure to read/participate in here. :D

Many gun forums are filled with personal insults, heated chest-pounding, and other juvenile behavior that quickly becomes intolerable.

ToddG
05-28-2011, 08:35 AM
We're new and small. Give it a few more months. We'll be at each other's throats soon enough. Man, you guys are so impatient! :cool:

In all seriousness, the Staff have done an excellent job of gently steering things so the incident rate is very low. But it's the membership in general that controls the level of discourse. You guys owe one another a round of applause.

JHC
05-28-2011, 10:44 AM
We're new and small. Give it a few more months. .

Those foreboding words have turned out to be true on many boards.

John Ralston
05-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Actually, I don't think it will be an issue here. I can think of a couple web sites where the A-hole to good guy ratio is about 0:15,000. When the mods slap down the trolls and flamers and revoke their memberships when appropriate, it keeps the right kind of people active and encourages the others to find a different home.

Todd and the Staff/SME's will do a great job.

F-Trooper05
05-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Funny you brought this up. I was just on a college football forum that I frequent. Someone asked "what kind of gun should a first time gun owner get?" The answers give some insight into what the "average" person knows about guns (the "get a Taurus Judge" answers are the best).

ubervic
05-28-2011, 04:18 PM
In all seriousness, the Staff have done an excellent job of gently steering things so the incident rate is very low. But it's the membership in general that controls the level of discourse. You guys owe one another a round of applause.

Todd, you're very gracious, and I'm sure that the Staff does a great job. Moreover, I believe it is the very nature of the posts & responses on THIS forum that set the tone and which also set the very-high bar which others must clear in order to be heard and taken seriously as part of the growing Pistol Forum community.

So refreshing, indeed.

BRAVO to all!

Joe in PNG
05-28-2011, 04:28 PM
I rather like the lack of Brandname Fanboi Squee! (OMG i got an H&K SOCOM is the bestest gun evah liek teh operators use!!!).

LittleLebowski
05-29-2011, 04:52 PM
I thank the forum members for the tone set and conversations we have here. The SLG mini class was particularly eye opening for me. Every one there had a solid grasp of the basics and were ready for further instruction and all were carrying quality gear. It was very humbling for me to help instruct.

MD7305
05-29-2011, 05:48 PM
This forum is definently greater than any of the others that we all mutually are members of. There's a different vibe here, I can't explain it, but everyone seems like they're collectively here for the same reason, to learn or help others learn. Egos seem to be checked upon logging in. I don't have a bunch of posts because I can usually find my answers buy scanning through other posts. I'm confident that due to all the great folks involved that it will remain that way.

JWinTN
05-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Todd is right in that this forum is small, and it is populated with like-minded folks who have similar ideas regarding guns and training, therefore you will find fewer instances of the Godwin's Law of Gun Forums (As an online gun discussion grows longer, the probability of an accusation of being an arrogant gun Nazi approaches 1 [100%]). I have a feeling it will likely stay that way, though, because, for one, there are plenty of other gun forums where people can get whatever harebrained idea they have validated by a number of other folks who are in turn looking for reciprocal validation (I like your Hi-Point! Oh, really!? I love your Uncle Mike's cloth AIWB holster! Those HK guys are snobs! I know, like, really!). For two, those who find this forum are those who know what they are looking for and already have an idea of what the discussion is about.

I do think we need a new law of gun forums, though. The Circle Jerk Law of Internet Gun Forums: The better a site is in terms of discussion and catalogued information, the more likely you will find a post talking about how much better the site is in relation to other, "lesser," sites. :D

JV_
05-30-2011, 05:54 PM
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?38-READ-pistol-forum.com-Code-of-Conduct

Abstain from any inter-forum warfare. Do not say mean things about other forums or people from other forums. We are here to discuss ideas, not personalities.

JWinTN
05-30-2011, 06:25 PM
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?38-READ-pistol-forum.com-Code-of-Conduct

D'oh! Sorry 'bout that. Duly noted.