PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight Poll: So many to choose from...can't list them all, but let's try

cclaxton
10-22-2013, 09:52 AM
I just picked up a Fenix PD22, which I really like for shooting, but I still use my handy Surefire G2ZX (in older 200 lumen version) because of the great V85 holster. But I bought some Twintask 2L Streamlights for the family members when LApolicegear.com was running a special. They have all been reliable and useful. My G2ZX has dropped to the floor dozens of times, is great on battery life, very bright at 50 yards, and really like everything except one thing: I would rather have a click-style to turn it on rather than a twist style. I like the pushbutton for instant use. I like all the cool modes the Fenix has, and lower light levels as well, but honestly don't know when I will use them, other than trying to save on battery life.

Here is a poll. There is no way I will get every flashlight on here, so I am just trying to list the most popular ones. Please forgive me if I leave your great flashlight off the list...just let us know about it in the thread.

Have a bright day!
CC

Kobalt60
10-22-2013, 10:15 AM
I use a Fenix PD22 for EDC and a Surefire P2X Fury for special occasions. I also have a giant Maglight that doubles as a cudgel.

Trajan
10-22-2013, 10:24 AM
I carry a P2X Fury with the RCS clip. Bezel is a bit of a PITA with jeans however.

Before that it was an SF G2X 200 lumen with a paracord lanyard which current resides on my carbine now.

cclaxton
10-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Just to be clear: Restrict your responses to flashlights you can use with a pistol.
CC

Kobalt60
10-22-2013, 10:28 AM
I like all the cool modes the Fenix has, and lower light levels as well, but honestly don't know when I will use them, other than trying to save on battery life.
CC

I use the dimmest mode indoors with a red filter when checking on my kids at night, it's also great for reading maps and not tripping in movie theaters. The brightest setting (~200 lumens) is good for everything else, especially outdoors. I got the PD22 for two reasons. First, it's perfectly pocketable size and second, I love that they divorced the mode selector from the activation switch.

Kobalt60
10-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Just to be clear: Restrict your responses to flashlights you can use with a pistol.
CC

What flashlights can't be used with a pistol? Do you mean rifle mounted lights or large flashlights like the 6D maglites? The later used to be standard for beat cops.

KeeFus
10-22-2013, 10:34 AM
I also have a giant Maglight that doubles as a cudgel.

SL-20 works well too... ;)

Along with the Streamlight SL-20X, I use a Streamlight Nightfighter LED (wasn't on list) & a Stinger.

Tamara
10-22-2013, 10:35 AM
LED Lenser P3 AFS. About the size of a Streamlight Microstream. Runs on a single AAA and gives 75 lumens with a sliding focus lens. Love it.

cclaxton
10-22-2013, 10:36 AM
What flashlights can't be used with a pistol? Do you mean rifle mounted lights or large flashlights like the 6D maglites? The later used to be standard for beat cops.

No weapon-mounted lights unless it is one that can be practically used for both.
No flashlights that are so large and heavy they cannot be practically used with a pistol.
No helmet-mounted or pocket-clipped, garment-mounted lights.
No flashlight with a head larger than 3".
No flashlight with less than 30 lumens.

That would be my list of restrictions.
CC

cclaxton
10-22-2013, 10:38 AM
LED Lenser P3 AFS. About the size of a Streamlight Microstream. Runs on a single AAA and gives 75 lumens with a sliding focus lens. Love it.

I almost listed LED Lenser instead of another Olight series...darn.
CC

Tamara
10-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Some Delta Airlines ramp rat has my second P3 AFS right now, since it fell out of my pocket unnoticed while trying to fish my wallet out in the confines of an MD88 chair. Carrying the ProTac 2AA 'til my third (and fourth) P3 get here on the Big Brown Truck of Happiness.

This ProTac feels like I'm trying to smuggle a tee-ball bat after all that time carrying a little AAA-size light.

JodyH
10-22-2013, 11:31 AM
I have a old Surefire E1e with a KL1 LED conversion that is almost always in my pocket.
It's only 15 lumens but it's so small, sturdy and reliable that it goes everywhere with me.
If I know i'll be out after dark I switch to my old Surefire A2 Aviator, 60 lumen incandescent/10 lumen red LED combination.

Both are "old school" Surefires without a lot of lumen output by todays standards, but they work.
:cool:

NETim
10-22-2013, 11:32 AM
I've yet to find a light I like better than my old Nighthawk Gladius as a companion piece to a handgun. Mine's been upgraded to deliver lots of lumens at the same run times. The rotating tail cap selects between 3 modes, one being a nasty strobe.

They don't make 'em anymore AFAIK.

EMC
10-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Foursevens quark tactical QT2L. Good value.

KevH
10-22-2013, 12:04 PM
deleted

cclaxton
10-22-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. But here goes...

I have owned and killed many flashlights. I've spent most of the past seven years working on graveyard (2100 to 0700) and spent time on graveyard a few years before that.

Stuff I've learned:

-Buy Surefire CR123's...they're relatively cheap and very reliable
-Clicky caps don't last no matter who makes them
-Streamlight stuff doesn't like water
-Tape switches break or are cumbersome. I'm done with them.
-DG switches on the X200/X300 line can be a blessing and a curse. It just depends on the individual gun combo. They're worth playing with, but may cause light ND's and feel awkward.
-Buy quality (Surefire)

Some things to remember:

-Just because a noted instructor/gun guru uses/endorses it does not mean it's great. He may have gotten it for free and be supported by that brand. He may use it to teach with, but never has (or would have) used it in the field.
-Just because it works on the range and wandering around your house doesn't mean it will work when abused. I'm dead serious about throwing a light against a wall to test it's shock ability (be careful whose wall you use though...) A lot of lights advertised as "shock proof" aren't anywhere close. Why does it matter? Because if you use a light YOU WILL DROP IT. A light that won't work after being dropped is useless.

This is great...thanks for sharing your experience. I, too, have had good experiences with Surefire. I didn't notice a Fenix in your list...any experience with them?
Thanks,
CC

KevH
10-22-2013, 12:26 PM
I just moved my post to its own thread.

I had a Fexix TK11 that I carried for a year and a half on my belt. It's buried in the post under secondary lights. I killed the tailcap.

For the price Fenix isn't bad, but it ain't Surefire.

Gadfly
10-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Streamlight Stylus Pro clipped in my weak side pocket.
Surfire E2e clipped in my boot.
Streamlight Stinger LED DS in the car charger.

The little AAA Stylus cost the least and gets used the most by far. For $20 it is a handy little light that everyone should own. So small, handy and bright...

Having lost a couple of $100 plus lights while running around at night playing cop, it is nice to have a good $20 light.

(Still have my old rechargeable Streamlight SL-20 and Ultra Stinger at home. These new lights are small and handy, but those two old lights had a lot of swinging weight, and "impact" ability. :D)

littlejerry
10-22-2013, 12:40 PM
I like my quark tactical AA light. Very compact, puts out 80 lumens, takes a single AA battery. Lots of output options but a simple UI that let's you quickly choose between 2. It sits next to my cell phone in a front pocket everywhere I go.

I plan to add the 2x cr123a model to my stash soon since it is only a half inch longer and has considerably better output and runtimes.

I have an older fenix tk10 that has worked well. Great for camping and planned use but way to big for Dec.

I've also bought a bunch of fenix e20 lights. They were only 25 bucks and offered over 100 lumens from 2 AA batteries. They are scattered around the house, in cars, in toolkits, and given away as gifts.

Chefdog
10-22-2013, 12:42 PM
I have a Nitecore defender that I carry because its very small, and can be set to strobe with one touch. I got a small Fenix for my wife, which is versatile and bright, but too many clicks to sort through the modes for my taste. And I have my original "tactical" light, the good old G2 that's had one bulb in 5-6 years and is going strong. Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement LED head and bulb for a G2?

Crusader8207
10-22-2013, 01:13 PM
I carry a 4 Sevens Preon P1 single cell AAA which puts out 70 lumens on high. I have been told that by upgrading to a different battery it will double the output. Haven't tried that yet. As for my other flashlight, I carry most days the Streamlight ProTac 2L which is rate for 235 lumens on hight, 60 on low and also has a strobe. i will also trade off and carry the Klarus XT2C which is 420 lumens and also has the strobe. I prefer the size of the ProTac though.

Byron
10-22-2013, 01:18 PM
I've yet to find a light I like better than my old Nighthawk Gladius as a companion piece to a handgun. Mine's been upgraded to deliver lots of lumens at the same run times. The rotating tail cap selects between 3 modes, one being a nasty strobe.

They don't make 'em anymore AFAIK.
When the Nighthawk Gladius / Insight Typhoon (same light) was still being made, it really excited me from a design standpoint. I loved the user interface.

They were plagued by a high failure rate, however, which I believe was a factor in their eventual discontinuation. One known issue was that they could be damaged simply from changing batteries: if you screwed the tailcap back on without proper caution, the light could potentially be rendered inoperable. (More detail on that issue can be found near the end of this review (http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/night-ops_gladius.htm))

Back in 2008, Paul Gomez noted that the Gladius/Typhoon had "known technical issues with the body and wiring" and failure rates were over 30%. As Paul is no longer around to question about this, I don't know whether he was referencing the above switch issue or other issues.

Given that yours is still working all these years later, it sounds like you got a "good" unit. I hope that it continues to work for you indefinitely, but wanted to give a heads up, just in case.

One other thing that I noticed with a couple different examples (though I have no idea of its prevalence) was an "afterglow" in the LED. That is, after turning off the light, the LED would remain glowing for a fraction of a second at a very dim level. This didn't matter for regular use, but when SouthNarc was demonstrating movement in AMIS, the afterglow of the LED left little trails in the dark that made it much easier to spot him than with other lights. I'm sure that 99.999% of people wouldn't care about this at all, but it's one more issue I felt compelled to mention.

BigT
10-22-2013, 01:33 PM
My Surefire 6P with the Malkoff head was recently replaced by an Elzetta Bravo.

So far very impressed. Stupid bright very logical mode switching and it appears to be build out of old tanks. Clipped into my pocket with a Raven clip I forget its there.

NETim
10-22-2013, 02:19 PM
When the Nighthawk Gladius / Insight Typhoon (same light) was still being made, it really excited me from a design standpoint. I loved the user interface.

They were plagued by a high failure rate, however, which I believe was a factor in their eventual discontinuation. One known issue was that they could be damaged simply from changing batteries: if you screwed the tailcap back on without proper caution, the light could potentially be rendered inoperable. (More detail on that issue can be found near the end of this review (http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/night-ops_gladius.htm))

Back in 2008, Paul Gomez noted that the Gladius/Typhoon had "known technical issues with the body and wiring" and failure rates were over 30%. As Paul is no longer around to question about this, I don't know whether he was referencing the above switch issue or other issues.

Given that yours is still working all these years later, it sounds like you got a "good" unit. I hope that it continues to work for you indefinitely, but wanted to give a heads up, just in case.

One other thing that I noticed with a couple different examples (though I have no idea of its prevalence) was an "afterglow" in the LED. That is, after turning off the light, the LED would remain glowing for a fraction of a second at a very dim level. This didn't matter for regular use, but when SouthNarc was demonstrating movement in AMIS, the afterglow of the LED left little trails in the dark that made it much easier to spot him than with other lights. I'm sure that 99.999% of people wouldn't care about this at all, but it's one more issue I felt compelled to mention.

Early on they had mucho problems with the tailcap unit. I had to get mine replaced shortly after I got it. But it's been solid since.

Granted, I'm not a heavy user. My Glad spends most of its time on my nightstand and not rolling around "on duty." I love the ergos on the light and with an "O" ring on it, it handles well. Good balance and size.

I think given daily use for say a year's service, a Surefire would outlast it. The plastic tailcap is a weak link IMHO as it probably could be snapped off relatively easily compared to Surefire's design and the materials Surefire employs. My old Surefire M2 would get first nod for anything I'd consider remotely approaching "rough service." The M2 just isn't as graceful to use is all. I'd liken the two to something along the lines of a Hurricane/Spitfire comparison. :)

But for my use, the Gladius been good to me.

Casual Friday
10-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Surefire 6PX Defender is my go to light.

cclaxton
10-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Drone Version, 10 Million Lumens, but built-in power generator..never needs batteries.

philpac33
10-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Elzetta ZFL-M60, the 3-cell with crenelated bezel. Bad, bad light. Michael Jackson bad. Sometimes I wish I had gone with the 2-cell to fit my front pocket better. Some companies seem to embellish on their lumen output but in the case of Elzetta, their claim of 235 might be conservative.

RoyGBiv
03-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Would be interested in comments regarding the clip for the Streamlight ProTac 1L/2L.

Does the clip stay on? Looks like it would be prone to falling off if the light gets knocked, even gently.

--------------- 1L -------------------------------->> 2L
http://www.streamlight.com/static/image/product_large_image/pt-1l_switch-end.jpg http://www.streamlight.com/static/image/product_large_image/pt-2l_horiz.jpg

JM Campbell
03-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Been running one daily for a year. Holds tight even after being ripped out of my pocket by running into shop benches. Never has the clip bent or torn off. I can't say the same for my ZT or benchmade knives. Replaced both clips on those so far for the same issue, damn benches always in the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

RoyGBiv
03-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Been running one daily for a year. Holds tight even after being ripped out of my pocket by running into shop benches. Never has the clip bent or torn off. I can't say the same for my ZT or benchmade knives. Replaced both clips on those so far for the same issue, damn benches always in the way.

Thanks! Much appreciated.!!
Doesn't look so well attached from the photo and everywhere I've seen one on the shelf it's been in a no-fondle plastic package.

Chuck Whitlock
03-10-2014, 03:05 PM

+1
Will pop off before bending or breaking, but not before.

Leroy Suggs
03-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Malkoff. They displaced all my SF the last three years.

KeeFus
03-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Would be interested in comments regarding the clip for the Streamlight ProTac 1L/2L.

Does the clip stay on? Looks like it would be prone to falling off if the light gets knocked, even gently.

--------------- 1L -------------------------------->> 2L
http://www.streamlight.com/static/image/product_large_image/pt-1l_switch-end.jpg

http://www.streamlight.com/static/image/product_large_image/pt-2l_horiz.jpg

Love the light. Hate the clip. It pops off fairly easily...but is sturdy.

pr1042
03-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Same here with clip issues.

I use the light below now. Same size but almost 800 lumens in burst mode

http://www.foursevens.com/products/QT2L-X-AF

Rich
04-23-2014, 06:28 AM
I have a old Surefire E1e with a KL1 LED conversion that is almost always in my pocket.
It's only 15 lumens but it's so small, sturdy and reliable that it goes everywhere with me.
If I know i'll be out after dark I switch to my old Surefire A2 Aviator, 60 lumen incandescent/10 lumen red LED combination.

Both are "old school" Surefires without a lot of lumen output by todays standards, but they work.
:cool:

The E1e was my first surefire! Later own I bought a surefire conversion head KX1 CE 45lumen. I think it has more lumens than that. More like 50+. Still high enough lumens for SD with a handgun.

I'm a little pissed at Surefire for not offering more conversion heads.

I would like to see 200-300 Lumen conversion heads for the E1e.

I also have a E2 Defender Led that's only 120lumen and would love a 500+ surefire head for it.

For SD.
I use my 1 stage P2X Fury Defender as my go to handheld light.

I also carry the E2 Defender 2 stage 120/5lumen for back up and if I need that lower 5lumen stage for when I run out of gas 10miles away from home.. Glad I had a long runtime .

The HK P30S 9mm wears a Streamlight TLR-1 300 lumen.

I will never give up my E1e !

Irelander
04-24-2014, 08:48 AM
My EDC light is a FOURSEVENS Quark123 Tactical (I think its called the Tactical QTL now). I really love this light. I've been carrying it for about 3 years and it hasn't missed a beat. I program it to be on medium brightness when bezel is loosened for most tasks and max brightness when tightened. Max is only 200+ lumens but it has great throw.

I also have a Nitecore MT26. The 800 lumens is awesome. I rarely use the lower settings since they are kind of a pain to set. Its a bigger light but a solid performer.

Chuck Haggard
04-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Many of the available lights have great lumenosity and throw, but they either carry badly or the switchology sucks.

Just because some engineer thinks it's pretty badass in the lad doesn't mean it's possible to run the light in the field.

Corlissimo
04-24-2014, 11:06 AM
My EDC light is a FOURSEVENS Quark123 Tactical (I think its called the Tactical QTL now). I really love this light. I've been carrying it for about 3 years and it hasn't missed a beat. I program it to be on medium brightness when bezel is loosened for most tasks and max brightness when tightened. Max is only 200+ lumens but it has great throw.

+1
Your experience almost exactly mirrors mine. The only thing I'd change/improve is putting a deep carry clip on instead of the standard clip. Just couldn't find them and stopped looking.

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.

Up1911Fan
04-24-2014, 11:54 AM

How does the switch work?

JM Campbell
04-24-2014, 12:04 PM
First click high or cycle through high/low/flash with half click. I've never programed it (if it's possible) just ran it like it was in the box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
04-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Surefire EB1 with Tac switch.

Jesting Devil
04-26-2014, 03:31 AM
Another vote for the 4Sevens Quark tactical. I have the 2AA model for cheap batteries. I keep it on strobe as a defensive option while working as a security guard with my most used medium set as the alternate.

Tough light, mines seen a lot of use (and a little abuse) without missing a beat. Wouldn't change a single thing.

23JAZ
04-26-2014, 03:56 PM
I just picked up a Fenix PD22, which I really like for shooting, but I still use my handy Surefire G2ZX (in older 200 lumen version) because of the great V85 holster. But I bought some Twintask 2L Streamlights for the family members when LApolicegear.com was running a special. They have all been reliable and useful. My G2ZX has dropped to the floor dozens of times, is great on battery life, very bright at 50 yards, and really like everything except one thing: I would rather have a click-style to turn it on rather than a twist style. I like the pushbutton for instant use. I like all the cool modes the Fenix has, and lower light levels as well, but honestly don't know when I will use them, other than trying to save on battery life.

Here is a poll. There is no way I will get every flashlight on here, so I am just trying to list the most popular ones. Please forgive me if I leave your great flashlight off the list...just let us know about it in the thread.

Have a bright day!
CC
How's the clip on the PD22. Will it hold the securely in your pocket and is it easy to clip on and off?

cclaxton
04-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Very secure...I have to force it to come off when I don't want it on. Also Fenix has a soft holster for this flashlight so I wear it on my belt weak side.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

23JAZ
04-26-2014, 05:03 PM
Very secure...I have to force it to come off when I don't want it on. Also Fenix has a soft holster for this flashlight so I wear it on my belt weak side.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Ok ordering on from Amazon right now. I think it will be a good off duty light. Thank you

Corvus
04-26-2014, 05:46 PM
My 6P and 9P Surefires have been reliable lights. I bought some Streamlights for work and used some Streamlights supplied by my employer and after a few months of daily use the tail cap switches go bad on them. The AAA battery ones have been OK so far but the AA and CR123A batteries ones have gone bad.

RoyGBiv
05-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Flishlight(sic) (http://www.dx.com/p/singfire-sf-117c-cree-xr-e-q5-180lm-3-mode-zooming-led-flashlight-black-silver-1x-aa-14500-246459)

A bit OT but I've been collecting cheap Chinese torches the past few weeks.
Stuff to try around the house, keep in the emergency kit, give to the kids, etc... Low use stuff.

This one came in the mail on Wednesday, after 45 days from ship date (43 days from postmark).

For $7.32, it throws a lot of light, has 3 modes (Hi/Lo/Flash), adjustable beam and will run off of a single AA or 14500. Best of the China stuff so far.
One possible downside is a cheap-feeling reverse clicky. We'll see how well it holds up to traveling in my emergency kit.

I consider the bad spelling a plus... Gives it an extra hint of authenticity.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag388/RoyGBiv00/Flishlight_zpsa557ba50.jpg

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_246459_1.jpg