Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a long-term pistol

Are you going to carry it or just shoot it?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Glock 17 or Glock 19 depending on size preference.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimaRatio View Post
    So I'm thinking about buying a long-term, do-it-all, mate-for-life kinda pistol. I need to be able to put enough rounds down range to get proficient with it, and then be able to rely on it for 30 yrs, etc. What do you guys think this pistol should be? Budget is as generous as it needs to be.

Here's a thought experiment: what pistol do you wish you had bought 30 years ago and shot every week since?
    A matched pair of S&W Model 64s. There's not much you can't accomplish with a k-frame and some skill unless you live in Memphis or Kandahar.

In my mind... I'd probably go for a Glock, M&P, or HK... these designs should have pretty good staying power and should all be plenty durable.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    ...unless you live in Memphis or Kandahar.
    In which case what you're looking for is two 4" M64s and a brace of 2" M64s as backups.

But seriously - As much as I love revolvers, if I were picking one gun to own for the rest of my days, I'd pick a heavily modified (so it fit my hands) Glock 17 or Beretta 92.

-Rob

So I'm thinking about buying a long-term, do-it-all, mate-for-life kinda pistol. I need to be able to put enough rounds down range to get proficient with it, and then be able to rely on it for 30 yrs, etc. What do you guys think this pistol should be? Budget is as generous as it needs to be.

Here's a thought experiment: what pistol do you wish you had bought 30 years ago and shot every week since?
    I have a few that I've had 30 years, and been very happy with even if I don't shoot them all that regularly. One comes to mind as far as simply enjoying shooting, and sparks my interest, a Colt Woodsman 22. My dad had a Woodsman Match Target for a while, it was a gem to shoot, but heavy. I also liked his Smith 41. I could probably get used to shooting one regularly, but the Woodsman is a good general purpose knock around and fun gun. I love my 4" 29 and Ruger 45 SA, but don't feel the need to shoot them all the time.

Also really like the Smith 19 with 38's. Not so much with magnum loads.

Site Supporter
    I ended up in a Glock 17 Gen 4. Probably somewhere north of 2,000 rounds now. I've only experienced failure to lock open on empty with (ETA: with one magazine and one instance I remember).

Great after market, accessories, accuracy, price and reliable.

Is the VP9 fantastic? Possibly, but... You know I'd hate to be the guy with a VP9 in 20 years. H&K develops great products and eventually stops supporting them. I'm delaying going to a Glock 19, but after seeing the size of the VP9, I think my decision is made for a 19.

Glock realized that keeping their guns alive has served them well, simply by updating them.

There are more attractive guns for certain. But overall, price, functionality, aftermarket (holsters, sights, frames, barrels, etc) it's the best gun if you only had one.

I'll confess, I plan on buying a TRP in the future. Why? Because I love 1911's and after shooting one, so does my wife. But I've never really had issues with my Glock.

Even brass to the face; I don't know the last time that happened. If I really cared, I'd buy an APEX extractor and other devices (perk of the vast aftermarket) to handle that.

Glock 26-34, you can have it all. I'd imagine we're on the verge of a single stack 9mm.

ETA: Also, Glock armorers are everywhere. They support shooting sports, there are many reasons to go Glock.

It wasn't my first choice, but the practical nature of them has won my heart.

I'll probably end up with a Gen 4 G19 setup like my G17.

ETA 2: Basically the Glock is the Honda Accord of handguns. Everywhere and fairly proven.

The Gen 4 stuff has tarnished their track record, but it seems isolated to the 9mm and my experience in the last two-ish years has been good.

I wish you the best.
    Last edited by BWT; 07-22-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by linkscoach View Post
    Are you going to carry it or just shoot it?
    I'd like to be able to carry fairly often, when I get to a place in my life where I can. That being said, I'm willing to have a BUG for hot weather carry.

Sounds like the G19 is it? It's funny, I thought I would hear more votes for 1911's, but only one so far. Thanks for the advice!

ps. I'd love to hear more about the pistols people wish they had bought 30 years ago. Does anyone wish they had got some gen 1 Glocks?

Depending on what "it all" is, if "it all" includes hunting anything bigger than rabbits and squirrels, I'd say that's got to be a 44. If "it all" also includes carrying it all the time I'd have to decline the Redhawk and say go with a 4" 629.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I could go either of two ways:

G17/19

Would be happy either way, for different reasons. But my requirements aren't necessarily the same as everyone else's, and I'm pretty comfortable fixing 1911s (after buying a bunch of chinese ones and fixing their various issues).

I wouldn't recommend the 1911 to anyone who isn't specifically a 1911 nut already, though.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List