Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen4's - Good to Go Yet?

The LCI extractor is the same for all the newer 9mm Glocks G26, G19, G17, G34, G17L.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Noted, and agreed.

The plain clothed agents don’t like the issued 229, so they mostly buy 26's for size reasons. I am one of the few that bought a 17 and a 26 to replace the issued 229. Of the few (less than 10) Gen 4 17's we also have no reported problems.

My question would be, if the new generations problems appear to be associated with the extractor, why would the new extractor not be an issue with the 26, yet be problematic with the 19 and 17? I get that the new recoil spring assembly was a problem on the 19 and 17, and that it was addressed. But is the extractor supposed to be the same part across the board on 9mm? Or is it different?
    I would bet that it's tolerance stacking in that the extractor could be better and the new RSA exacerbated things.

I do know that a White Sound HRED and APEX extractor reside in the Gen4 17 on my hip right now.
    #RESIST

Leaving aside extractor problems, common to Gen 3 and 4 pistols, doesn't the presence of the 30274 ejector in Gen 4 and 336 in Gen 3 pistols suggest there is different geometry at work in the Gen 4 frames?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Leaving aside extractor problems, common to Gen 3 and 4 pistols, doesn't the presence of the 30274 ejector in Gen 4 and 336 in Gen 3 pistols suggest there is different geometry at work in the Gen 4 frames?
    From what I've read and seen....I doubt it. I believe that the 9mm Glocks have poor extraction as generalized whole and I know from personal experience that a 30274 ejector on a "known good" Gen3 G19 (2007 purchase, great weapon).
    #RESIST

Speaking of extractors, I have a Gen3 produced earlier this year that I have yet to run a round through. I have a pre-LCI extractor stashed away just in case the need arises.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    From what I've read and seen....I doubt it. I believe that the 9mm Glocks have poor extraction as generalized whole and I know from personal experience that a 30274 ejector on a "known good" Gen3 G19 (2007 purchase, great weapon).
    I put the new ejector in my older gen 2 gun which didn't need it. I did not note any difference but it definitely changed the ejection pattern on my g19.

I have a friend who had both G17 and G26 gen 4 guns that didn't work, fails to extract/eject, BTF, tec. Exact same issues with both guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I have a friend who had both G17 and G26 gen 4 guns that didn't work, fails to extract/eject, BTF, tec. Exact same issues with both guns.
    That changes my view then. Baffling how Glock could screw up the G26....
    #RESIST

I would like to hear from a Randy Lee, and I am not a gunsmith, but here is my thinking.

Gen 3 9's, regardless of how strong they extracted, had a reputation for running reliably. Then they started having problems in greater numbers. The focus on the part causing the problem was the extractor, which apparently Glock changed the manufacturing process on. Randy Lee looked at the problem and brought out a G3 specific extractor. No suggestion had been made that anything changed except the extractor. (Excluding tolerance stacking/production issues which could make for an unreliable pistol at any time.)

Then we have the Gen 4 pistols. Things different than the Gen 3 included the frame dimensions, RSA design, and ejector (ultimately). Glock's initial "fix" was a new RSA and new ejector. Many guns still has issues, leading to focus on the extractor. Again, Randy has a G4 specific extractor.

I believe the part common to both G3 and 4 problems was a bad batch of extractors between 2010-2012. Glock changed the process for making extractors in late 2012 or early 2013. Anecdotally, those "new" extractors cause most pistols to run reliably, although there will always be exceptions due to tolerance stacking/manufacturing issues. In addition, the different frame design (dimensions and RSA) between Gen 3 and 4, creates differences which Glock has tried to address through the 30274 ejector.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I believe the part common to both G3 and 4 problems was a bad batch of extractors between 2010-2012.
    No company produces a "bad batch" that stretches across three years' worth of production, especially a company that is producing as many guns per minute as Glock. It's not like they manufactured three years' worth of extractors one day and then lived off them until they were used up. It just doesn't work that way.

Glock made some change(s) to the extractor -- design, production process, and/or QC -- that resolved many of the problems. But there are still enough people having reliability issues with enough 9mm Glocks that I, for one, wouldn't call it fixed. It's much like the M&P9 accuracy issue: a million different people had a million different ideas on how to change the barrel but in the end it looks like the problem isn't just the barrel... and some of the big 'fixes' made to the barrel may ultimately prove to have been unnecessary. There are certainly more than a few folks who've opined that the original (.40-cal) Glock gen4 RSA would probably work just fine in the 9mm guns now that so many other changes have been made to address the actual problem, such as the ejector and extractor.

User Tag List