Page 85 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Site Supporter
    Outside my lane.

I can sharpen VG 10 on my sharpmaker to wrist flick cut typing paper from the corner diagonal down the sheet confetti style and then shave my forearm.

Good enough for me.

Respect to the linked site re all of the information correlated.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

For those that are into locking styles on their spyderco knives...do any reach the level of a Benchmade Axis lock? The Axis has to be the quickest fastest non-spring assisted folder opening method ever I love it. My paramilitary 2 opens fast but still in second place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    For those that are into locking styles on their spyderco knives...do any reach the level of a Benchmade Axis lock? The Axis has to be the quickest fastest non-spring assisted folder opening method ever I love it. My paramilitary 2 opens fast but still in second place.
    They have a ball bearing lock which mimics in large measure the Axis lock. I find it not as smooth or compliant, but it is strong and functional.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    As long as you have room to flick your wrist, the axis is faster than assisted or autos in my opinion. I think their biggest value is how fast they can be closed one-handed while using as a utility or work knife.

For me, I prefer the stay closed bias of a lock back for safety reasons. YMMV

Site Supporter
    I'm looking to possibly pickup a new Paramilitary 2 in S45VN and with the compression lock.

This will be my first new Spyderco in years.

How's this lock? I'm not familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I'm looking to possibly pickup a new Paramilitary 2 in S45VN and with the compression lock.

This will be my first new Spyderco in years.

How's this lock? I'm not familiar with it.

It works well. It's like a liner lock on top of the knife and keeps your fingers out of the path of the blade when closing. You'll get used to it quickly.

Site Supporter
    I've carried a Benchmade mini-AFCK daily for 20 years or so and this would seem to make a suitable replacement.

Would you concur?

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I've carried a Benchmade mini-AFCK daily for 20 years or so and this would seem to make a suitable replacement.

Would you concur?
    I found the mini AFCK awkward for me to manipulate, but absolutely love my full size AFCK. (Both with M2 steel from way back when.)

That said, I think you will find the PM2 very comfortable...and you won't have any issues with the lock. I'd bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimagirus View Post
    With those uses in mind, I would stay away from the limited edition Goddard. The M4 steel is fairly high carbon and would be apt to rust. I would look at one of the Salt series if I was going to be around water.
    I am currently using a mint(color not condition) native with uncoated m4 and don't find it hard to keep in working condition. It does patina but i can maintain it with a light coat of oil on occasion(no food for me) and it's been going since they dropped without much rust. So i'm not afraid of rust issues in my use and the Goddard is coated as well.

Anyway, I ended up giving in to impulse and a fair bit of FoMO crossed with boredom. I ordered a Goddard last night. Today I went to my favorite local knife shop, Blademan's, with the idea that i was just going to fondle and on the off chance they had a stretch lw I would consider it. That went to hell and I ended up walking away with a Stretch 2xl in Cruwear....

It is big and the straight spine doesn't appeal to me aesthetically but i haven't owned a g10 spyderco in a long time and on the 2xl it is so thin! Not at all like a pm2, which i always felt was a touch girthy. Likely, simply a perception thing because the frn native i'm using is thicker than a pm2 but i don't feel the same way about it.

The 2xl feels great in hand and the g10 is grippy without being sticky. Very much improved over my previous experiences with spyderco g10 scaled knives. It will make a nice weekend user. I love finger choils and the stretch is big without feeling like a sword. Long blades feel like i don't have as much control usually but the ergoes here seem as if that won't be an issue.

Who knows, i may hate it in a few weeks and put it on the swap but in the honeymoon phase, i'm pleased.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

@Irelander, that Damascus was seriously tempting, but my sweat has rusted every edc thing I've ever carried save for Tennifer and my Endura sized Salt.

Visited the Spyderco booth at the NRA convention. Found exactly what I wanted: Delica sized Salt with non-serrated blade. (Really liked that the pocket clip screw holes had a metal insert inside the handle so they wouldn't strip out when I inevitably snag it on something and bend it.) Plus 30% off at the convention...I'll take it!

Whoops, no joy, it was the only one left and they adamantly refused to sell display models. Frig. Consolation prize, they gave me a discount code so I could order one. Even less joy, I can't find them on Spyderco's site and I don't know what that specific model is to try and find one elsewhere.

Anyone got an assist on this?

User Tag List