Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock trigger manipulation

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post

… a little more (harder) take up initially to make sure I really want to do it on the first round, and very short (and quick) reset.
    You can accomplish that with a NY1 trigger spring/3.5# connector combo. Definitely not DA revolver-like, and more difficult to shoot those one-hole slow fire groups with… but certainly a hedge against "trigger checking".

Its all relative. Like you, my primary focus these days is "will this arrangement (pistol, trigger, etc.) do well for concealed carry defensive purposes?" I have found that, so far, I cannot have my cake and eat it too. So, I compromise…

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    You can accomplish that with a NY1 trigger spring/3.5# connector combo. Definitely not DA revolver-like, and more difficult to shoot those one-hole slow fire groups with… but certainly a hedge against "trigger checking".

Its all relative. Like you, my primary focus these days is "will this arrangement (pistol, trigger, etc.) do well for concealed carry defensive purposes?" I have found that, so far, I cannot have my cake and eat it too. So, I compromise…

The 3.5 with the NY is my preferred stock set up if I am running an all factory gun. The way mine are done feels much better than that and they are smoother through the process, which led to Larry's assessment. Plus, all stock parts and trigger weight.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Disregard, he is just trying to justify all the money he spent with Bruce Gray on trigger work.
    True.

I can get my money back though. Can you get your time back, the time you spent on perfecting prep/squeeze, prep/roll and prep/snatch?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    True.

I can get my money back though. Can you get your time back, the time you spent on perfecting prep/squeeze, prep/roll and prep/snatch?

Okay, that was funny..... Of course, I also the same guy who keeps going out and trying this stuff to see WTF George is doing, and if it will work.

Luckily, I usually have Wayne (who is able to press a trigger on anything exceptionally well) next to me going, "just take the slack out and press the thing straight to the rear, and follow through for a change" (I am terrible on follow through as I am hyper to get back to register).
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Okay, that was funny..... Of course, I also the same guy who keeps going out and trying this stuff to see WTF George is doing, and if it will work.

Luckily, I usually have Wayne (who is able to press a trigger on anything exceptionally well) next to me going, "just take the slack out and press the thing straight to the rear, and follow through for a change" (I am terrible on follow through as I am hyper to get back to register).
    He really just wants to look at his hits!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    He really just wants to look at his hits!
    Does he raise his head between each shot???

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Does he raise his head between each shot???

That is demon I think I have beaten. First, I make a deal with myself to not look till I am done and let the front sight tell me if I hit. Second, I can't see the damn target anymore.......

This "special Glock trigger" thing, finally caused me to understand what makes Darryl tick. It came to me while landing off airport in the desert this morning.

Darryl wants custom, wants special, and doesn't want what the other kids have. That means an HK for a pistol. Since everyone has to have a Glock, including Darryl, his Glock has to have a special, different trigger. If it is an AR, it will be a special one. Then there is the whole new "niche" for the AUG, the one hand pistol/carbine, since even fewer people have those. If I was in the custom cool gun business, I would want Darryl as my main customer.

OK, Wayne, am I right?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Darryl wants custom, wants special, and doesn't want what the other kids have.
    Darryl is a.... Hipster?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Lots of good info in this thread. I think it all depends on what your shooting process is. I prep the trigger before my sight gets fully on target. Therefore I have to pause for a fraction of a second before I press. Because I am doing two things at once before I want to shoot there is no time problem. I have found that most unmotivated police recruits can get this part of the process without much problem.
    If you don't touch the trigger before the sight is on target then I can see where you would want to minimize any pause between slack and press. With a stock Glock I've seen those with average to poor grip disturb the sight alignment when they hit the wall. As for the press I hate the term surprised break. I am pulling the trigger. The only surprise will be if it doesn't go bang. I like the idea of showing new students on the double action where they can see the hammer being prepped at different speeds and moving smoothly all the way back in one speed.
    My belief is that the most important factor in gunfighting is a solid grip. As Surf said, you can get away with more and more slap as the grip is more and more solid. So it is important for someone with an average grip to press smoothly and to spend most of their time perfecting that grip. As they improve their grip and trigger press their ability seem to meet in the middle. Their manipulation of the trigger changes as they get better at the grip.

At some point it becomes managing the trigger press according to our ability to shoot as it relates to distance. That answer changes a lot in the first year of a new shooter's development and then moves very little after that. If you already have a good grip then changing back and forth between trigger press methods will not be as critical. You have already met in the middle of your ability between grip and press. I'm not sure I would say it is better to start teaching new students that way.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

User Tag List