Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Reenactment (short film) of Kyle Dinkheller shooting **GRAPHIC**

And some people think that running a traffic stop in plates and carbine is weird...
    I call it prepared.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Site Supporter
    "...the other was there to provide more visual information for the perp to process."

It took a second, but I now have to wipe beer off my computer. I'm definitely stealing that line.

I remember watching this video few years back at in service, since then we have shown it to the academy every class. The points for me are as follows.

Dinkheller is said to have been "quick to use force" and was "counseled" days prior to this encounter. I taught each and every boot that rode with me that there is a time and place to second guess, in a fight isn't one of them. Establish control quickly, if you use force, in our agency at least, once Dinkheller had hit the suspect once with the baton, there would have been an internal, any strikes after that are "free"(not whoop his ass free but you have the internal you might as well get the guy under control). As officers, we can't worry bout this or that in the moment, know you policy, know your authority, know you're right and when its go time, GO AS FAST AND AS HARD THAT IS NEEDED!.

Movement, if you watch the suspect, once the firefight begins, he never stops moving, period, he is on his feet, keeps his base under him moves uses the patrol car to HIS advantage and never stops attacking even when hit, some call that as part of the suspect's mindset, I call it his FIGHT...

I see some newer officers that just don't have any fight, they go thru the motions but freeze at ACTUAL conflict, make a decision, right OR wrong, live with it, learn from it.

I really hate the screams from Dinkheller. One of the worst OIS caught on tape.

K K J- OUT....

edited to add, when the suspect returns to this vehicle is has been said that he was loading the mag for the m1 carbine, to most current case law it is imminent use of deadly force... i.e. Go Time...
    Last edited by krazykiddjoe; 07-22-2014 at 08:35 PM. Reason: add additional info

Site Supporter
    So, I have a question.

Do departments do quarterly or annual training on combatives? Like the escalation of force, etc. baton drills, etc.? Or is it more of you do your PT rest, pass the shooting qual, and don't do anything too bad?

Is this also department specific? I can see how a small SO or PD can't justify sending officers en masse to training schools and afford private instruction for the entire department.

I've watched the video in the past and I was frustrated when he started yelling at the trooper, jumping, and what broke all the rules to me is when they went to their respective vehicles.

ETA: Yelling, heavy breathing, maybe even violent hand gestures (not reaching in your pockets, but throwing hands up, etc.) are verbals and non-verbals. But approaching the officer and becoming non responsive; this I.T. Professional (I did win a customer service award last year; I'm a bit of a softy and I know it.)!says No.

You would be stunned at how poor or nonexistent police training can be.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    So, I have a question.

Do departments do quarterly or annual training on combatives? Like the escalation of force, etc. baton drills, etc.? Or is it more of you do your PT rest, pass the shooting qual, and don't do anything too bad?

Is this also department specific? I can see how a small SO or PD can't justify sending officers en masse to training schools and afford private instruction for the entire department.

I've watched the video in the past and I was frustrated when he started yelling at the trooper, jumping, and what broke all the rules to me is when they went to their respective vehicles.

ETA: Yelling, heavy breathing, maybe even violent hand gestures (not reaching in your pockets, but throwing hands up, etc.) are verbals and non-verbals. But approaching the officer and becoming non responsive; this I.T. Professional (I did win a customer service award last year; I'm a bit of a softy and I know it.)!says No.
    GA POST standard is that peace officers must qualify once per caliber year with their primary duty weapon. That's it. The state qualification course is 30 rounds, and it isn't hard.

An officer could qualify in January of one year and wait until December of the next year going pretty much two actual years between firing shots.

As for what individual agencies actually do, it can be as little as the annual qualification to running actual decent firearms training. Even an agency such as mine headed by two certified, died in the wool, barrel suckers doesn't get to the range as often as it should. I have some individual personnel that are hard chargers, but on the whole, no.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    You would be stunned at how poor or nonexistent police training can be.
    Unfortunately very true.

In post 116 that should be "calendar year". Given the subject matter, the typo is amusing.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    In post 116 that should be "calendar year". Given the subject matter, the typo is amusing.
    Is that a cigar in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    So, I have a question.

Last year in Ohio, OPOTA dumbed down the qualification for the duty pistol. This year they summed down the qualification course for shotgun. The qualification for less lethal options such as your stick and mace is a joke!

As for UOF training as it relates to less lethal options, that is dependent to the agency. Many smaller agencies have the desire to conduct additional training, but lack the resources. Many larger agencies have the resources, but chose to utilize the available training time and funds on touchy - feely topics like customer service, diversity training and various other concepts. Often referred as the "Hug a Thug program".

It's unfortunate that those in senior command positions to make decisions as it relates to priority of training topics, got to their position by spending minimal amount of time actually on the street, if at all.

To call it frustrating is a gross understatement...

User Tag List