Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the MINIMUM number of guns one should own?

Whats the MINIMUM number of guns one should own?

I got asked that question by a pal of mine, and I didnt have a good answer to it. One plainly isn't enough in case it's used defensively and impounded temporarily ,or suffers a mechanical problem, but two seems awfully low of a number. Then again, I like guns, and the woman asking was speaking in terms of practical merit.

The question gets even more nuanced if we consider one shotgun, one pistol, one centerfire rifle: that makes three and we haven't considered spares yet.

What say the experts here:
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

One that you're proficient with.
    #RESIST

Zero if you're a fool, as many as you want and can afford if you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    One that you're proficient with.
    Truth , while not ideal I would be perfectly fine with one pistol and one semi auto rifle for the rest of my days

42 is the answer.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

In my experience of using guns as tools, and not just toys, two guns are sufficient.

A long gun (my preference being a bolt gun in .243, as it met my needs) and a handgun (a Glock 19 worked for me at the time) were more than sufficient.

While I like having more than that (a semi-auto long gun with a detachable mag *is* handy at times) I got by just fine, and used them in a capacity other than just toys.

For defensive purposes three of each (one for daily carry/defense, one for training, one spare), so 3 identical handguns and 3 identical long guns. Others as needed for your situation.

For sport, target, hunting use--whatever you need and desire.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Eight.

2 identical semi-auto rifles,
    2 identical handguns
    2 identical shotguns
    2 identical distance rifles

GJM is a person whose opinion on this particular matter I would value the most.

It seems to always be one more than I currently own.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List