Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Eval of ballistic protection of popular shooting glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/wiley-x-...unglasses.html

I see the frames for the RX versions are still rated, but will the glass on the prescription be?
    From the page you linked:

Q: What material are Wiley X prescription lenses make out of?
    A: The prescription lenses in your Wiley X eyewear are made of polycarbonate material. Polycarbonate is the safest most impact resistant prescription lens available. Wiley X prescription goggles will be fabricated to exacting standards, it will meet and exceed the drop-ball testing standard for such a lens and will serve as safety goggles or tactical goggles.

Q: Do RX lenses maintain the qualities, certifications, and specification of the plane version in the same frame?
    A: Qualities and certifications will remain the same in WileyX prescription glasses and goggles.

Q: Do Wiley X lenses meet Safety Standards?
    A: All Willey X Prescription Sunglasses and Wiley X Prescription Goggles were made with pure shatterproof selenite polycarbonate that far exceed ANSI Z87.1 safety and ANSI Z80.3 optical standards.

This of course applies if you have Wiley do the RX. If you have a local do it, find out what they will be using.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Durp. Danke.

Instead it's body armor for your eyes? Why are people planning around getting .22 short or birdshot in their direction?

I'm honestly confused as to the application here. I can see in the military, it's for shrapnel, but less on a shooting range.
    FWIW, what I emphasized is quite a common occurrence at some hunting grounds on opening day. When all the rich people from NYC and northern NJ come out with their multi-thousand dollar custom Italian shotguns for their once a year la-tih-dah hunting excursion and can't hit jack, getting pelted at least once in the day is inevitable. Feels like getting hit with airsoft, and you usually have time to turn away as you can hear the pellets coming through the trees...but good eye pro is definitely nice to have.

I had an RWS .22 case blow out on me one time. That was enough to convince me that anything bigger than a .22 blow out would warrant some awesome eye pro, as well.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I see the frames for the RX versions are still rated, but will the glass on the prescription be?
    My roommate's day-to-day eyeglasses are Z87-rated so she doesn't have to have a special set for work or the range. She says it's not that big a deal to get them from your optician. Yeah, they're not super-duper stop-a-shotgun-blast rated, but on the upside, she never forgets her eyepro.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Having been hit in the face by richocheting bullet fragments, hot brass, & ruptured cases that fired out of battery, I never shoot without ballistic eye protection. It is no joke. It just takes one time & you can lose your sight forever.

Per Soldier Systems, it looks like Revision is having some Black Friday specials...

Now through Monday November 26th, when you place an order of $99 or more in the Revision online store, you’ll receive a free Revision Swag Kit. Use the code SOLSYS to get 30% off on your order.

The Swag Kit includes an ACU-pattern goggle case, a red Revision bandana, a black Revision banana, a Revision Velcro patch and tab, Revision anti-fog wipes, Revision stickers, and a discount card.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I switched from Oakley to Kaenon a couple of years ago. Their lens seem to be superior and they fit me much better. I wear the prescription Beacon version. Kaenon claims their lens to be of superior impact resistance. Not sure how that would compare to military ballistic protection. I am very impressed with their quality so far. Here is a link to the lens description.

http://www.kaenon.com/technology/len...ens-comparison

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Revision is having some Black Friday specials...

The Swag Kit includes an ACU-pattern goggle case, a red Revision bandana, a black Revision banana, a Revision Velcro patch and tab, Revision anti-fog wipes, Revision stickers, and a discount card.
    I guess that's one way to get rid of old bananas.....

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I had an RWS .22 case blow out on me one time. That was enough to convince me that anything bigger than a .22 blow out would warrant some awesome eye pro, as well.
    My only experience with a gun going high order was also a .22 out of a bolt gun. I've been shooting all my life and never even thought about a .22, especially a bolt gun, ever doing something like this. The round was filled with too much priming compound and blew out the corner of the bolt, stock, and bottom metal some of it ending up in my hand. Had it not been for my Oakleys, I would most definitely have lost my left eye. If a .22 can do this, you can never have too much protection for your eyes.

I think I've kept up with most of this thread, so forgive me if this was covered.

Does anyone recommend a style or company that is really good for small faces? My face is probably not even 6 inches wide. My Samsung galaxy s2 covers me from temple to temple for instance. I'd also like to go RX.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List